Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2136

Thread: Laser Focus

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Ooo, tango would be fun. We went to part of a dance class that did samba and cha cha though left a little early so didn't get all of the steps on the second one. It was fun though a bit clipped and robotic feeling at times. We changed partners a lot with learning the moves sections at a time. I'm not very graceful but at least tried. Tango would be really fun to try.
    That sounds like a lot of fun too! I enjoyed tango because it's improvisational, which suits my personality. I don't have any sense of rhythm or dancing talent naturally, so it's a challenge, but I couldn't help thinking it would help my BJJ standup... get them into a rhythm and then break it.

Today was exhausting again.

Calories: 1910, 241C/135P/54F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours
    Women's(!!!!) Level 2 class
    Principles of sweeps using the lasso as a test case
    1. Connect 2. Unbalance. 3. Power.
    Lasso sweep by bringing the shin across so they think they can pass. Then underhook their far leg, load them up, and sweep.
    Or if they try to bring up other leg, RDLR hook and sweep using that to help.
    Positional sparring (one round with an injured white belt so flow rolled veeeery easy, flattered she trusted me). Got some legit lasso sweeps in my other rounds!

Advanced 1 gi
    Attempt collar drag to ankle pick, they step ankle back. Swing in for guard. Grab pant leg and scootch hips to that ankle as well. Grab other pant leg. Load them up and lift overhead, then to one side. Force them to post. Swing out from beneath them and come up on top still holding pants.

Live rounds regular training
    Some good rounds but also just got bodied by male blue and purple belts. Played mainly lasso and closed guard (who even am I) with some regressions to half guard.

First EVER women's-only BJJ class at Marcelo's and I loved it so much. The class will focus on the same technique and variations for a full month and we're encouraged to give our partners feedback. I think it'll be an amazing way to really grow and strengthen our women's team.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Whole body is beat up and knee is funky from just too many days in a row of BJJ, but I HAD to do the women's class. So I took today and just lifted, pretty easy with long rests, didn't even run.

Calories: 1775, 214C/136P/50F

Workout:

Hollow hold 2 x 45s
    Prone overhead hold and 10 x pulse x 2
    Handstand hold against wall 3 x 30s
    Crow pose 2 x 20s
    Push ups 5 x 10
    OHP 45lb x 10, 50lb 4 x 8
    Chin ups 5 x 4
    Toes to bar x 5/leg raise x 5 3 sets
    Straddle sit holds x 5

I'm so f*cking weak guys. I NEED to get back on the lifting train instead of doing extra cardio and just forcing my weight lower. That said, I was also pretty tired and have been sick so there's that.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The women's only class sounds great. Can see why you'd want to get that one in even when a little worn from all of the training you've been doing. I feel ya on the weak, though you don't seem weak to me. I can't even do a chin up anymore. Need to get back to things and get strong again.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

The women's only class sounds great. Can see why you'd want to get that one in even when a little worn from all of the training you've been doing. I feel ya on the weak, though you don't seem weak to me. I can't even do a chin up anymore. Need to get back to things and get strong again.
    It's mostly my legs and shoulders. I couldn't do ANY overhead pressing when my thumb was injured and my OHP has seriously regressed. I also haven't been able to lift legs much due to my chronic bursitis. So... oh well, at least my chin ups and pull ups have improved. I want to keep working on those as well as hand stands. That's a huge goal I have for this year.

Good training today. Slightly tender knee but fine with the kneepad.

Calories: 1785, 220C/130P/50F

enjoying those round numbers

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Z guard fake attack far arm or as they try to pummel out of underhook, grab sleeve and elbow of arm and arm drag while pendulum kicking up to take their back. Then they either don't roll or they do roll as you finish the back take.

Positional rounds from z guard, closed guard with elbow sleeve grip, and seatbelt; then regular training
    Partnered with a new white belt girl and taught her anaconda choke, let her escape from some things if she earned it, didn't use full pressure etc. Rolled with some purples who crushed me though I did get a nice back take, ghost escape, and butterfly sweep on one before she arm barred me. Marcelo said good job!!!!

Advanced 1 nogi
    Circle pass after fighting the feet, hand under knee and pinning other knee down, run to NS as they spin under, then push their knees down hard and drop to NS (both arms over or one over, NOT both on your side of their arms or they escape).

Regular training 6 x 5 min
    SPEEDY SPEEDy SPEED rounds with three male blue belts who scramble a lot, lots of inversions and funky weird stuff! Rolled with a tough, heavy female white belt who fought my closed guard well; couldn't sub her from there. Swept from half instead (rollover/lazy crowbar sweep) and got to mount, NS, etc. Told her afterwards--which is true--she's tougher than many of my last tournament opponents and I hope she competes.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Day off BJJ so I went to the gym before work (LONG workday teaching at three different schools) and feeling a lot less drained and lousy. Also walked a ton throughout the day. Super hungry day due to that.

Calories: 1860, 228C/138P/51F

Workout:

Run 1 mile easy, 9 min

Push ups 5 x 10
    Pull up to 3 x toes to bar to pull up x 5
    Handstand hold against wall 3 x 30 seconds

Super short and easy, like I said. My knee feels better, my energy levels are back, and I think whatever low-grade illness I have has gone away for the most part. Happy to train again tomorrow.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training today was good but felt bad, not sure if that makes sense. I had a bunch of tough rounds with male upper belts back-to-back and felt really ground down. I wish there were more people around my size and level. On the bright side, I got to get some tips on berimbolo after class and also got to roll with my friend Kyle! And submit him hehehehe.

Calories: 1790, 218C/142P/48F

Workout:

2 hours BJJ

Level 2 gi
    Roll to recover guard
    Guard pulls for speed
    Rounds from standing (guard pull)
    6 x 5 min rounds from guard pull
    Decent rounds but mostly higher belts. Need better posture to defend berimbolo. Bolo tip from former blue belt world champ: really keep that top leg with foot flexed heavy on their hip. It helps stay connected. Later, after nogi, got some more tips:

1. Shoot foot across from DLR.
    2. Begin Granby AS you put other leg over them with foot flexed.
    3. Grab far hip as you go.
    4. Grab far hamstring as you go.
    5. Continue to roll through, and as their back exposes, reach ACROSS for far trapezius.
    6. Hooks in and seatbelt.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Torreando pass counters side to side blocking far bicep and getting near knee in and trying to reverse them.
    Regular training
    Got some nice sweeps and a guillotine following a reversal on Kyle. He says quote "that guillotine will keep me up at night" and that he made a mistake getting into my half guard lmao. Rest of rounds were mixed bag with various levels, including more closed guard that I wasn't able to progress against a good woman smaller than me.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Good day today! Trained a lot and was very hungry and run down so I... get this... ate more.

Gasp.

I think this is the first time in six months I've eaten more than 2k calories??? damn.

I know logically that I'm still fine but man, mental barrier for some reason. I went high on protein because of satiety and to see if it aids recovery.

Calories: 2010, 241C/156P/54F

Workout:

BJJ 3 hours

Level 2 nogi
    Side control
    Frame up, raise inside knee, get other leg over their head, clamp knees, shove their head down, gather their wrist and finish arm bar (don't finish in the armpit)
    If they pull arm out: feet on hips, move out, feet on ground, grab wrist and arm drag back take.

Positional rounds 45s-1 min, from side control and then closed guard. Paired up with a white belt and went easy with her, then with a nice purple belt, then with some random other people. Don't remember all that well. I do know I got a darce again.

Advanced 1 gi
    Start in 50/50. The person on seated opens up and rocks to stand. Quickly, backstep and pop shin down onto their shin, putting all your weight and pinning it onto their leg. Then hold their pants and backstep around them, then scissor legs around to pass head and settle into side control.
    Same principle with backstep but from opened up closed guard: fend off their legs, backstep, and side down around their head.
    Positional sparring starting from sitting backwards on opponent.

Regular training. I did my positional sparring with my friend Nicky, who moves really well, and I was able to shut down a lot of his game. Rolled with some white belt women and got a lot of back takes. I forgot how intense white belts can be, like full on competition intensity. Played with lasso a bit, got the Super Marcus sweep, but on a white belt so does it count? Also got bow and arrow a few times and generally worked back takes, and got the nasty Shawn Kato loop choke/foot over face finish.

Private lesson/review of my last tournament 1 hour
    1. Dope mount (I use this already but should have done so in comp). Your knee between their knees, other knee moves up over their knee toward mount. Open up the underhooking elbow so they don't sweep you. Move to mount.
    2. Mounted triangle. Move to high mount and lock both arms around head and arm. Lift head and arm, slide leg across. WEIGHT ON KNEE. Slide other thigh up their arm and hook ankle over other calf or ankle. Sit back on butt and at an angle and squeeze. May attack arm before even pursuing the choke.
    3. Omoplata as a counter when they either pressure into you from closed guard, or when they yank arm back when you fail at closed guard back take. Go straight to that omoplata. Axe-kick with leg STRAIGHT and HEAVY.
    4. Omoplata as counter when opponent clamps down over you with closed guard. Bicycle out while pushing down/framing on head. Then drag out tricep, axe-kick leg over armpit HARD, put HEEL down and free other leg, then sit up real fast.
    5. Note on standup: I know this, but never reach with the same arm as your forward foot--that's how you get taken down.
    6. Note on X guard sweep: actually go to full X before sweeping, with ankles crossed. Far better leverage to kick out and stand up that way than if you are on your side.
    7. Note on guard pull: better to pull with upright posture if not sure which guard you're pulling. Falling back is OK if pulling half but not for butterfly.

Note on berimbolo: don't be so hard on myself for not getting it yet. Decision: treat it as a goal for purple belt.

These notes are not in the order taught.

Whew, quite a day. Tomorrow will be similarly exciting. I'm going to see my friend's second pro MMA fight.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Showed up to my friend’s garage to drive over to my other friend’s MMA fight. His car wouldn’t start. We f*cked with jumper cables and a really helpful mechanic aided us and we FINALLY got it started. Drove there, got there in the nick of time to watch her fight (unfortunately, she lost), stayed until 1:00 am eating dinner post-fight in an Applebee’s by the casino, and then had to jumper-cable start the car ourselves in a rainy parking lot to get home. Finally home at 3:00 am. WHEW.

I’m so glad I was there for my friend. Having a crowd show up for her means that even with a loss she can get more fights.

FYI at Applebee's I ordered a dry 6 oz sirloin with broccoli and baked potato. Seemed fine. Emphasized everything completely dry but still added cals for 2 tsp of butter just in case.

Calories: 1815, 214C/128P/56F (ish)

Workout:

Run 10 min @ 9:00 pace

Deadlift 115 x 8, 135 x 8, 155, 165, 175 x 5 each
    Chin ups 5 x 5

Front squat bar x 8, 65 x 8, 85 4 x 8
    Push ups 5 x 10

OHP 45 x 8, 50 x 8, 55 x 6, 60 x 5
    Handstand hold 3 x 20s
    Toes to bar x 5/hanging leg raise x 5 3 sets

It's INCREDIBLE how good this workout felt after having eating just over 2k calories the day before and having a preworkout snack (1/2 PBJ and some FF Greek yogurt). I'm going to keep doing maintenance-ish calories for awhile because I am so tired of feeling weak and run down all the time.

Other notes: I need to keep doing lighter higher-rep deadlifts for awhile because my grips are still so weak from my hand injuries this year.

This is the first time I've done 5 x 5 chin ups. Pretty happy.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Continued the theme of eating some more today; long day, lot of teaching and training, and my mom made an AMAZING dinner. I had a couple pieces of sushi as appetizers, then salad, salmon, tortellini, cauliflower, fruit salad, and a 1.5 oz piece of a giant cookie. I don't know that I'll go this high on cals every day, but training like I do I think I can afford it. Trying to stick to 1500... even 1750... I was starting to feel incredibly run down and mentally foggy all. the. time. And weak. Pushups became slow, everything just felt slow, no energy to lift, hardly able to focus at work. I don't think that is good.

So!

Calories: 2215, 253C/153P/73F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Women's class 1 hour
    Lasso review
    Same sweep as last time. Lasso and shin across. Underhook leg or grab pants, load them, and sweep. Note: if they shove your knee down and try to pass toward your head you can still sweep by rolling them over.
    If they stand, tripod sweep or omoplata and grab pant.
    For tripod, move hips out to side, post bottom foot on same hip as lasso, grab that same side ankle or pant and keep hold as you sweep.
    For omoplata it works best if you let them keep passing toward your head.
    Regular training 2 x 6 min

Got omoplata sweep (messy); trouble clearing the foot.

Advanced 1 gi
    From knee cut or rdlr holding their lapel
    Pummel other foot inside their rdlr leg. Hold that pant leg. Shoulder pressure behind knee. Reach across for far collar. Grab other leg and bundle legs. Pressure pass to side and swim to head control and far underhook.

8 x 5 min live rounds
    Got kimura trapped in deep half argh. But also got to deep half then x guard after bailing on lasso! And was about to sweep. Got some nice back takes off half guard scrambles. Used the lasso sweep when they trap bottom leg and you sit up and lever them over TWICE. Use lasso omoplata as well. Got bow and arrow and a rolling Ezequiel starting in top half. Missed an opportunity to bicycle legs out and omoplata from opponent locking down the position--tried but need to commit more. It is new and I will drill.

Post class detail on kiss of the Dragon: do not grab their ankle. Instead reverse your wrist so the outside gives you leverage, then spin on your shoulder.

Fun fact: there were 16 women in the women's only class. That's a crazy number. It was awesome. One of my opponents from my last tournament visited and we partnered up for drills and training! So cool.
    Last edited by shesprints; 02-02-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That food does sound amazing. mmmm I like tortellini though rarely eat pasta as I don't really like the tomato sauce much. Still, filled pastas in general are yum. Makes sense with how active you are that you would do better with a little bit more calories. You should have a decent maintenance level with how much you do on a daily basis.

That many women for the one class is super awesome. Just keeps sounding better and better.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

That food does sound amazing. mmmm I like tortellini though rarely eat pasta as I don't really like the tomato sauce much. Still, filled pastas in general are yum. Makes sense with how active you are that you would do better with a little bit more calories. You should have a decent maintenance level with how much you do on a daily basis.

That many women for the one class is super awesome. Just keeps sounding better and better.
    Yeah, I think that I've been so paranoid about making weight for competitions that I've restricted just for too long. I am feeling much better with more cals, more energy during the day. I've added a small fourth meal to my intake and it really feels like absolute night and day. Plus, I'm burning more calories as I have more energy. Good cycle, I hope.

Calories: 2110, 254C/145P/64F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 nogi
    Half guard to butterfly extend and sit up
    Half guard to butterfly hook. Grab bicep, grab far lat, come up on knee and sweep.
    If they post hand and foot, come in to full butterfly and do regular butterfly sweep.
    Crowbar. Move knee in to just under their butt, lock half guard, lever them over. If they backstop go to closed guard.
    Positional training 8 x 50 seconds
    Regular training 3 x 5 min?
    Some good scrambles. Used x guard and kiss of the Dragon. Got Some back takes and an arm bar.

Advanced 1 gi
    Back take to roll to walk up behind
    If they grab legs, swing them and sit up
    Positional training 6 x 50 seconds
    Regular training 5 x 5 min
    Rolled with visiting blue belt girl and got wing choke. Last round was rough as a purple belt larger guy basically just shoulder pressured me all round. Other rounds good and scrambly but need to omoplata off closed more. I am attempting mounted triangle a lot more.

I want to drill that half guard stuff--it plays really well into my game.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I look better with more carbs on board. Felt cute. Here's a progress pic.

https://i.imgur.com/jRIL6LU.jpg

Calories: 2185, 266C/141P/68F
    I ate a piece of candy-covered chocolate pretzel for dessert after dinner... it is AMAZING what fits into my higher macros. Of course, it was a small piece, just 1 oz. I also feel really full as I ate a lot of vegetables. I may cut back on those. The reassuring part is that I trust I won't overeat... I dislike feeling full and actually almost crave the lighter feeling of my cutting cals.

and today's training was SUPER TOUGH and awesome.

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Open guard breaks
    Drill starting from spider guard
    Live rounds from guard (collar sleeve or spider)
    Got to train with Yuta! Used dope mount from lesson with Jordan, not quite finishing mounted triangle before they roll. Got an omoplata entry from lasso and of course they rolled. Continuing to work lasso more and more comfortably. Berimbolo'd someone!!!!!

Advanced 1 nogi
    Jump guard, then remove collar tie and break with hand under foot, person who jumped guard slides down and inverts to grab leg, top person rips leg out and steps back BUT does not turn away, then pins bottom person's legs to ground while bottom person inverts, and then runs around to roll the bottom person over and take back/crucifix. Trained with Nicky, who moves super well and is only ~145, so this felt seamless and fun.
    Live training regular style, VERY intense rounds, lot of inverting, using that kiss of the dragon technique Shawn showed me--really works. Marcelo yelled at me to frame better. Argh. Using my hooks and half guard sweep threats to regain closed guard, though! Got dope mount again, bunch of back takes, etc.

This was the most intense training I've had in a long time. SOAKED in sweat. I'm sure it has to do with my increase in calories.
    Last edited by shesprints; 02-15-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Good workout and REALLY long workday today... taught at three separate schools and am about to have a private student to finish the night. Got in a lift in the morning and walked a ton throughout the day.

Calories: 2070, 249C/147P/61F

Workout:

Run 10 min (9:00/mile pace) easy

Deadlift 95 x 10, 115 x 8, 135 3 x 8
    Pull up 5 x 4

Front squat 45 x 8, 65 x 8, 85 3 x 8
    Push ups 5 x 10

Handstand hold toes on and off wall 3 x 20s
    OHP 45 x 10, 50 x 10, 55 x 10

Pretty tough training lately so didn't go totally nuts with this workout, but enjoying incorporating deadlifts and front squats. Also, pullup reps per set PR.

Got complimented on my abs at the gym. Also, two of the trainers randomly decided to grapple and I coached one of them on how to escape mount. So funny.
    --Hubert Humphrey

BJJ training is so incredibly more intense when eating more calories. I'm fairly sure I'm BURNING a LOT more calories from training. Far sweatier, breathing much harder, just going much faster and more aggressive. I was completely soaked after this workout, it was insane. I'm pushing carbs as they help me so much with my energy.

Calories: 2230, 303C/138P/61F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Open guard passing nonstop drills
    If they grab front pant and extend down, keep hold of sleeve on side they pass to, scoot away, make another grip and reestablish guard
    Pass by grabbing collar behind neck and pant at knee and head down into them as you pass around.
    Live positional rounds 6 x 2:30, 3 x 5:00
    Rolled with tough people like Hana, though backing up helped a lot, also managed some good things to escape. Got to crab ride at end of round and almost managed to take the back when it ended. Tried lasso and almost got vice guard triangle on Nicky. Very very hard nonstop aggressive training.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Rdlr hook (sit up!) grab ankle and use momentum of other leg to swing underneath. Come out back.
    OR grab far thigh with both hands and rock underneath and spin to 50/50. Triangle legs then pass their foot over and switch to x guard to sweep them over; footlock.
    Regular training 6 x 5 min
    Very very scrambly and tough. Lots of guard retention and recovery. Inversions. Some back takes. Used butterfly hooks much more and recovered closed guard from half. Need to try more omoplata!!!!!!

It was really fun rolling with some of the guys today, and I liked the techniques we learned and want to drill them.

I also decided to sign up for Pan Ams, a big tournament in California. So I'll be going there in March. Eep!
    --Hubert Humphrey

So I kinda have abs now????

Calories: 2200, 266C/144P/68F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 nogi
    Closed guard hip bump sweep--post on HAND instead of ELBOW!
    If they post arm far back, swing leg over their arm and head and grab it with hand to pull them down into a triangle.
    If they stack to avoid the triangle, hand on tricep and push as you scoot out.
    Positional rounds followed by regular training. Some good rounds, got to closed a decent amount but still not fluid enough with transitions from there. I did get several kimura traps from top half, which I am REALLY happy about! Also hit the dope mount to mounted triangle transition.

Advanced 1 gi
    Escaping footlocks
    Hint is to grab their collar and really yank yourself in close so they can't extend you.
    If they are turned on their side, scoot to sit on their foot on hip and get elbow inside other knee, then leg inside other knee, then move to mount.
    Regular training
    Good rounds, used omoplata from a failed triangle to sweep and almost finished it. Got a bunch of back takes. Played some spider and lasso, some x guard which still sucks (slx sucks, full x less sucks, can transition to baby bolo from there). Got kicked very hard in the head and had to sit out part of a round to recover.

I also made soup in the afternoon and then answered work email, but NO ACTUAL WORK TODAY. Very much needed the break.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    So I kinda have abs now????
    -
    I also made soup in the afternoon and then answered work email, but NO ACTUAL WORK TODAY. Very much needed the break.

Definitely see those abs. Looking great!

Nice on the soup and taking a day off from work. Those days are necessary. Can't wait for my next one.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Definitely see those abs. Looking great!

Nice on the soup and taking a day off from work. Those days are necessary. Can't wait for my next one.
    Thanks! Yeah, I went straight back to lots of work today, unfortunately, barely squeezed in a workout. I did get good lifts and also experimented with more volume in my warmup sets, which helped a LOT. I also added cable crunches to grow my abs some more.

Calories: 2060, 245C/160P/56F

Workout:

Run 10 min @ 9:00 pace

Deadlift 65 x 20, 95 x 15, 115 x 10, 135 3 x 10
    Chin up 5 x 5

Front squat 45 x 16, 65 x 12, 85 3 x 8
    Push ups 5 x 10

OHP 45 x 10, 50 x 10, 55 x 10

Cable crunch 42.5 2 x 10, 50 x 10

Felt pretty good, though I did this in the afternoon and felt hungry toward the end as lunch wound up pushed back late.
    Last edited by shesprints; 02-08-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Cable crunches are the only ones that I've managed to endure though not sure I can see the results when I worked abs with the fluff I still have. But cable crunches don't bother my back compared to other crunches. Leg raises are good too and wow on the toes to bar.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Cable crunches are the only ones that I've managed to endure though not sure I can see the results when I worked abs with the fluff I still have. But cable crunches don't bother my back compared to other crunches. Leg raises are good too and wow on the toes to bar.
    Toes to bar are a new thing for me--I couldn't do them until a couple of months ago, but working hard on chin ups and pull ups helped develop my core and now they aren't too hard! It definitely IS more rewarding to train abs when they're visible lol

I'm so so so fatigued and felt so hungry all day, rargh. Was a decently long workday and was out walking in the cold rushing from BJJ to work so there's that. I straight up took a refeed/whatever day because I was too f*cking starving to sleep. Back on track tomorrow. Definitely a surplus for today but for the week I think it evens out to maintenance.

I'm seriously beating myself up. I know I will get back on track and am highly active, but I DO NOT like this heightened hunger.... it's like the more I eat, the more hungry I get. I also think having my usual lunch and schedule disrupted didn't help, and perhaps I've simply been pushing too hard and am burning out.
    Blargh. Anyway... jesus f*cking christ....

Calories: 2900, 364C/197P/85F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Women's class
    Recap of all lasso moves + DLR if they step up the other leg, grab ankle, and hip up to throw them down. Worked with a white belt so got to explain a lot of this to her.
    Positional training. The omoplata is the easiest for me, weirdly. Also, the tripod sweep works better when they pull back aggressively.

Advanced 1 gi
    Lasso again!
    Retaining lasso guard as they try to close distance and grab collar. BLOCK THEIR BICEP AND GET HIP TO OTHER SIDE. Other hint: lasso foot on hip and knee in their armpit!

Live positional rounds 40 seconds to 2:30, then regular training
    Got a spin out of lasso through omoplata position and into closed guard. Also got a regular lasso omoplata. Improving but slowly, still smashed a lot. Didn't block bicep in time with Hana.

I didn't feel like I got 100% out of training today due to fatigue. Probably just from lifting yesterday. Struggling with wanting/needing/not wanting to take a day off. :/
    Last edited by shesprints; 02-09-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Took today off heavy training and feel a lot better--appetite is calmer, though my energy level is looooow. I just missed a lot of sleep last week. So I took a nap today and felt better.

Calories: 1860, 216C/128P/60F

Workout:

Run 3.3 miles easy

Stretches
    Cossack squat
    Iron cross
    Alternate side hamstring stretch
    Frog
    Lunge to triangle
    Bridge
    1 min dead hang

We'll see how I feel tomorrow--if I'm actually getting sick or was just overtrained.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Hopefully you rest well tonight and aren't sick. I'm still struggling with the sore throat after a whole week and it's a nuisance. Nice that you could nap. Wanted to do that today but no luck so maybe I'll just go to bed early. Sleep can be hard to catch up on and easy to lose again.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Hopefully you rest well tonight and aren't sick. I'm still struggling with the sore throat after a whole week and it's a nuisance. Nice that you could nap. Wanted to do that today but no luck so maybe I'll just go to bed early. Sleep can be hard to catch up on and easy to lose again.
    Yeah, I slept a ton and now feel somewhat better! I got through training, at least.

Calories: 2120, 235C/159P/68F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Stack pass
    Grab pant and extend away as you attempt to pass toward their head on the same side; they swing hips around back toward you; come in to them, low enough to prop your chest behind their knees; grab collar across, switch grip to near pant, fold/extend down.

Positional rounds and regular training. Got the first lasso sweep live, finally. Almost got super marcus sweep but had to stop as was running into someone. I also got out of a berimbolo attempt finally, and I kept grips for lasso with the purple belt who has great grips.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Counter to rolling estima lock: kick free and come up on top. Take back and kick free if they don't roll all the way. If hey KEEP rolling kick free WHILE rolling.

Good rounds, got to roll with Scott for the first time. Got a butterfly sweep and also a really nice kimura trap from bottom side control to take the back(!). Going to butterfly much more instead of just half.
    --Hubert Humphrey

LOOONG workday again, but I got in a really good workout in the beginning of the day. I also spaced my meals out better around work so I had energy to teach well. I also increased my sets and reps of all of my lifts, and felt like I could even go heavier next time, now that my body is used to lifting again.

Calories: 1995, 250C/141P/54F

Workout:

Run 10 min (9:00 pace)

Deadlift 65 x 20, 95 x 15, 115 x 10, 135 4 x 10
    Pull up 5 x 4

Front squat 45 x 16, 65 x 12, 85 4 x 8
    Push ups 5 x 12

OHP 45 x 10, 50 3 x 10

Toes to bar x 5/hanging leg raise x 5 4 sets
    Cable crunch 42.5 2 x 10, 50 2 x 10

Really feeling the effectiveness of cable crunches. I feel them deep in my abs in a way I just don't feel other movements. My one disappointment is my OHP, which still sucks. A lot.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Whew, less work today and NO work tomorrow. Got back to BJJ, which I badly needed, mentally speaking. Just been a bit of a rough time.

Calories: 1985, 242C/145P/53F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 gi
    Frame by grabbing near collar, foot on floor, hip escape, other foot on hip, repeat.
    Rounds from "least favorite position." I picked inside closed guard. I suck, super hard! Other people picked half guard a lot--got to X guard from there fairly well so I should keep that up. Got the knock backwards sweep from there. I need to be more aggressive with closed guard or maybe just need more options... tried lasso a few times. Need to really yank back with elbow to set grip as Marie was breaking it quite easily. I did get two berimbolos that felt quite natural just falling into the position. I got an interesting escape by using an overhook/inverted arm bar threat.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Continuation of last Thursday: RDLR hook. Other hand on CHEST, not wrist, framing. Spin under, grab far thigh, CHOP DLR leg then pummel foot inside, upper body falls to that side, extend that leg and grab seatbelt as they fall down into position for a back take.

Live rounds starting from RDLR, then regular training. Good tough rounds. White belt guy I usually destroy is framing and escaping very well, ouch my ego, but happy he is improving. Great round defending footlocks from visiting footlocker! He gave me tips for escaping from heel hooks by turning knee toward the center (generally keeping from crossing center line) and pointing the toe/pushing foot forward when they try to lock.I chased some kimura traps and got a couple, which is progress. Got tips for finishing kimura after class. First, "power position" is diagonally on top of them with your hip by their head and your head by their hip. Elbow to elbow. Grab their wrist and turn outward. Then PULL not PUSH up to finish, locking far elbow in their hip so they can't move and optionally stomping your leg over their neck/head to hold them even more. From bottom half, finish the kimura by shooting in the knee shield and using it to extend them backwards as you complete the kimura.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    Whew, less work today and NO work tomorrow. Got back to BJJ, which I badly needed, mentally speaking. Just been a bit of a rough time.

ooo A whole day off? Nice. I would be envious since I'm working 7 am tomorrow but I get the weekend off. Any plans for tomorrow or the weekend for the romance holiday?
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

ooo A whole day off? Nice. I would be envious since I'm working 7 am tomorrow but I get the weekend off. Any plans for tomorrow or the weekend for the romance holiday?
    Yep! I went to Rachel's and we had a lil lingerie party and drew each other in our undergarments, then ate some amazing beef stew she cooked along with salad and sourdough bread I brought with me. Then we had chocolates. We had each agreed to buy each other a surprise box of chocolates, and coincidentally we chose literally the same TINY boutqieu shop. We know each other too well. Hilaroius. A good night. Higher calories (estimates) courtesy of stew and chocolate, but I trained super hard so probably burned like 2400 anyhow.

Calories: about 2250, 284C/134P/72F

Workout:

BJJ 2 hours

Level 2 nogi
    Half guard to butterfly
    Practice getting top hook in, then other hook, extending them out and sitting up.
    Drag down their far bicep, clamp top hand over their head/shoulder, butterfly hook, tip up onto knee and finish the sweep.

Situational training short rounds starting in half guard from 45 seconds up to 2 minutes 30. Few rounds regular training. It's tough to finish that butterfly sweep but it will be great to add to my game.

Advanced 1
    Back escapes.
    Grab their choking arm sleeve and PULL down on it. Walk hips up over theirs so they can't finish the cross-collar, and similarly keep leg free from their bow-and-arrow. If they move to mount, capture leg and go to half (or x) or roll over and come up on top.

Regular training 7 x 5 min
    Great rounds, including with a visiting purple belt woman. I took her back off a scramble that led somehow to a crab ride. I also got a nice back take from closed guard that I angled well and also a good stack pass from double under; plus two lasso sweeps--one with the RDLR and one other that I forget. Still not hitting berimbolo but did manage to bolo up into a leg drag position at least once.

Tough but great training today! And I felt SUPER confident in my lingerie since my body is looking so lean these days. It's really amazing.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Experimented with increased calories today because I'm going to be doing intense BJJ training tomorrow and for the past two weeks, Sunday training has sucked because I always come in feeling depleted! Plus I was just genuinely hungry. And my abs looked good today at the gym and my lifting session was unusually intense (I added a few more exercises to round out my program). More carbs in particular are what I think I need.

Also.... listen, not many people check here, so I feel OK posting this. I felt confident as fuk wearing lingerie for Valentine's Day and, hey, this IS a bodybuilding site.... and I like how I've built my body.... so https://imgur.com/jzVo60P <--that's me. Somehow, despite being lean right now, I still have excessive boobs. I mean Rachel isn't complaining. But doing chest-supported rows today was awkward.

Calories: 2215, 297C/156P/54F

Workout:

Run 1.1 miles (9:00 pace)

Deadlift 65 x 20, 95 x 15, 115 x 10, 135 4 x 10
    Chin up 5 x 5

Front squat 45 x 16, 65 x 12, 85 4 x 10
    Push ups 5 x 10

OHP 45 x 10, 50 3 x 10
    Incline DB press 25 x 12, 27.5 3 x 10
    Chest supported row 27.5 4 x 10

No rest between superset:
    Cable crunch 42.5 2 x 10, 50 x 10

I was really cueing my self to sit back and chest up on the deadlifts and I think I'm finally back in the groove with that movement. I will try 95 for front squats next time, as they feel very easy right now. Am I the only person in the world who feels front squats more in my glutes than in my quads, at least at the bottom of the movement? I also lift in socks for both front squats and deadlifts, fyi. I figure, I train BJJ barefoot, so might as well. My gym knows me very well and never minds when I do this.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I saw the IG pics. You two are super cute together. Sounds like it was a great night and the drawing is such a creative and fun addition. Funny that you both went to the same place. I had someone from the store when I was working give me a see's candy coupon because she is a regular customer and saw I was new. I don't really know many boutiques. Should check some out some time.

Training sounds intense as usual. You're killing it.

Forgot to add: You're looking great too. Like the black and the stocking approach. ;-)
    Last edited by Fiction2Fitness; 02-15-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot a compliment
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Thanks brahette, I do think we're pretty cute <3 The outfit was actually very dark blue in parts, but the lace was black. Rachel loves the color blue. Hers was all a pale pink, so we had some nice contrast going on.

See's Candy is such a West Coast thing! I'm going to Pan Ams in California and will probably buy some to take back with me.

Long training today. I fueled way better and felt 1000% more recovered and human on higher carbs. Also craving some intense protein today.

Calories: 2420, 305C/179P/67F

Workout:

BJJ 3 hours

Women's class lasso guard
    Refresher of omoplata with them standing. Can foot hook the side of their knee so they can't pass the lasso side.
    Reminder that if their leg is stuck over you, there's a back take!
    Riri did a lasso that was sort of mixed with kiss of the dragon to a sweep???
    Then if they try to pass shoving both of your feet under them, sit up, kick out their leg, grab over their tricep, and threaten other side omoplata. Can then triangle or kick simply sweep over.
    Note the wristlock after lasso sweep with their elbow against the mat. Also wristlock possibility as they try to pummel hand out and pass.

Advanced 1 gi
    Cartwheel guard pass
    Start over both of their legs, head down to mat, jump up, balance on head for 2-3 seconds, then come down on far side.
    If they begin balloon sweep with butterfly hooks, PINCH KNEES, hips to one side, BACKSTEP, post up on hand, move to side control. OR fake to one side and then go in the other direction.

Private lesson on berimbolo
    First: posture. Sit forward and don't let legs get in front of you.
    Grab side of pant over the side of their knee. Kick out their other leg. Then shoot in DLR hook while scooting forward to sit on their big toe. That foot goes against their far thigh as well. Pinch your knees. Switch grips: top hand replaces bottom on the knee. The other hand grabs ankle. Keep their kneeline past yours or you'll lose them. Grab their pocket or belt. Go up onto your shoulder. Keep your foot hooks around their far leg. Use the elbow to keep their knee clamped to inward rotation.
    Version 1: if they keep sitting up: roll onto near shoulder, then onto far shoulder (not neck). REACH ACROSS TO FAR HIP to replace the pocket grip. With other hand, grab their far leg. Feed it onto your shin and simply keep it balanced there, as more of a frame. Then climb up their back, grabbing back collar etc., sit up, bring bottom leg out to act as a hook for the back take, and secure seatbelt.
    Version 2: if they lie down and get rid of your hook, then scoot your hooking leg down so the knee is by their hip and your shin is over their body. Bend knee and rock/shove them forward, and as they go forward, twister hook with the other leg and climb their back. ***I may need a refresher on this one***

Also: for kiss of the dragon, keep the other foot on their hip! Grab EITHER the ankle or if they are knee cutting grab the bottom of their foot/heel. Use a far collar grip or far lat grip to facilitate inverting under. THEN: don't try to pummel the leg in because it's a vulnerable position. Instead, slide it over their torso so it becomes the hook for the back take! And use your far leg as a hook to extend them out, while grabbing their collar from behind to bring them to you.

From here you can get a very good bow-and-arrow. Cross collar grip. HOOK their leg and lift it so as to escape the bottom leg. Move to s-mount and then proceed with bow-and-arrow as usual.

ADDENDUM FROM TEACHER:

"Wow!! That’s great!! You basically retained the entire lesson. You explained every thing very clearly, so its apparent that there’re zero misunderstandings.

Additionally, remember variation #3 where they push the top leg off and you transition into more of a crab-style back take.

Just some things I would word differently, maybe it makes a difference, but the initial foot hooks are closer around the hip rather than the far leg and they are locked in until you invert onto the far should. Once on the far should, then, like you’ve stated, you pull the DLR leg down towards your butt to bunker down on their leg. Secondly, when you pull their leg (knee cap rather) onto your shin, it should feel locked in rather than “balanced”, not sure if this description makes a difference. Once that hand is done doing that, it moves onto the hip as to catapult the person towards the “pocket” (space between legs). This action depends 80% on upper body efforts, legs are there just to facilitate direction and placement.

Hope this helps?

Everything else is *fire symbol* great job"

Woot! So yeah, that's real technical but lol there are my training notes.

I trained with a visiting white belt and got to explain a lot of lasso, passing, and omoplata to her. I love doing that. She told me I looked like a 118-lber but then when we rolled was like "Yup... you feel heavy." In BJJ, feeling heavy is a good thing.

Abs continue to show up better every day srs

Gonna try dragon flags next weights day (Wednesday).
    Last edited by shesprints; 02-16-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

That sounds adorable. Such a couples goal description. I've seen See's Candies in malls at times but never really stopped in much so we'll see if I make it over to one since the woman was nice enough to give me a coupon.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador