trainingal70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting back in shape before 50!!

Hello all,

Long time since I've been on the site. Some background: Competed in natural bb'ing '99 - '09. Last competition was at 39 yrs. old (will update my avatar soon). Now I'm 49, turning 50 in October, and want to be in better shape by then.

Back then, my off-season weight was around 135 lbs. Over the last 10 yrs., I've gradually gained weight, particularly the last 2 years when I started working full-time, 6 days/week. I've continued lifting & doing cardio, but more sporadically. I'm still pretty strong, but very unhappy with my bodyfat gain. I currently weigh 148 lbs.

My goal is to get down to 132 lbs. by mid-August (vacation to Hawaii!). I probably have a little less muscle now than when I was competing ( I wasn't that big then!), so I think that would be a good weight. I've only been working 5 days/week, 2-6 hrs./day right now with the social distancing, and have been getting in more exercise each day for the last 2 weeks (I have a little mini-gym in my garage w/ DB's, TRX, pull-up bar, plyo box). I've been cleaning up the diet - cutting back on fries, bread, rice, & the hardest one: CHOCOLATE.

I will post a current photo tomorrow, and will update the photo every few weeks to hold myself accountable, and I will also post my exercise and how my eating went each day. I'm going to start at 1600 cal and see how that goes, and adjust as necessary. Feel free to offer any advice, or ask questions, & I will check out other's journals as well!

YESTERDAY'S WORKOUT: 3/27

Circuit outside: run 200 yards; 5 strict pull-ups; step-ups on picnic bench, bodyweight, 15/leg; 15 pushups 4 rounds
    Squats w/ 30 lb. DB's, TRX rows, pushups

NUTRITION: 3 meals, snack between lunch & dinner of handful trail mix w/ raisins, peanuts, dried bananas and dried pineapple. 1 semi-sweet hershey kiss after dinner.

3/28:

EXERCISE: 45 min. on elliptical at home. Legs were tired from yesterday's workout, but went well. I have to listen to music so I don't get so bored. Would prefer to go for a run, but it was rainy & chilly. I am trying to alternate days of weights & cardio. Tomorrow will be a garage gym weight workout.

NUTRITION: Pretty much the same as yesterday, another day of clean eating, with 1 hershey kiss after dinner. I only have 2 kisses left, then that's it for at least a few days. i need to remind mybody/brain that I can go w/o chocolate! I'm not counting calories right now - I eat the exact same breakfast every day, so that's a constant. i'm pretty good at reading my body after the years of contest prep.
    Last edited by trainingal70; 03-28-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Current photos from this morning. There's a slight hint of abs lurking under the fat, lol! Also a little bit of bicep separation, but too much fat around the middle & on my back. Time to get busy!
    Attached Images

3/29:

WORKOUT:

25 lb. DB Snatch: I did these tabata-style to keep the heart rate up - 4min. each, 20sec. work/10sec. rest. 4 rounds total with a rest in between each round.
    Abs/Jump rope: Superset, 4 rounds.
    Step-ups: 16" box, holding 2 15lb. DB's x 2

The DB snatches really got the heart rate/ breathing up. I hadn't done them before - I like that they're kinda a whole body exercise. I could go heavier on the weight if available, but as a tabata workout it was fine. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain I'll go for a 5k run.

NUTRITION:

Another good day of eating. Breakfast is always the same: 1 egg + 1/2c. egg whites, scrambled, w/ a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 c. oatmeal (dry measure) cooked in water, w/ small handful of blueberries, 1 tsp. dried cranberries, 1 tbsp. granola, and a tiny drizzle of real maple syrup. Lunch always varies, i make sure to eat about 28g of protein, a little healthy fat, and some carbs, but not too much. Dinner is usually the same ratio, only slightly bigger portions. I usually have dinner finished by 7:30, and eat breakfast between 8:00 - 9:30, depending on the day, and how hungry I get in the morning. Sometimes it ends up being 14 hrs. between meals overnight, which I'm ok with.

Tomorrow is a weigh-in day, hoping to have lost 1.2 lb.!
    Last edited by trainingal70; 03-29-2020 at 04:59 PM.

3/30:

Workout:

5k run - 36min. I was sore from yesterday's workout, so this was not much fun today, pretty slow. I think tomorrow will be a rest day, maybe just an easy walk.

Nutrition:

Another good day of eating - same breakfast, lunch was about 3 oz. baked chicken, mini bagel w/ a little natural peanut butter & sugar-free jelly, and a small apple. Dinner was home made beef & broccoli with squash & zucchini added in, and 1 c. rice. I had my 1 semi-sweet hershey kiss for dessert, lol!

No change on the scale this morning, hopefully I will be down 1/2 lb. tomorrow, even if it's just water weight I'll be happy. My immediate goal is to get to 145 soon.
    Last edited by trainingal70; 03-30-2020 at 05:01 PM.

WLR64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for stopping in.

Looking at your pics, you have a really good starting base. Shouldn't be too hard for you to look really great.

Good luck with your goals.

Originally Posted by WLR64 View Post
    Thanks for stopping in.

Looking at your pics, you have a really good starting base. Shouldn't be too hard for you to look really great.

Good luck with your goals.
    Thanks, just need to stay consistent!

3/31 -

Exercise:

Today is a rest day - I've been alternating every other day cardio and weights, w/o a break for about 6 days, so the rest is welcome! Tomorrow i think I will do 45 min. on the elliptical since I ran yesterday, and my back is still sore today, so will wait 'till Thurs. to lift again.

Nutrition:

I'm sticking to my work day eating schedule even though I'm only working a couple hours in the office, then home the rest of the day - helps to keep me on track! I was kinda hungry all day - I think I was a little lower on calories yesterday, plus I ran, so that could be why. I ate a little extra chicken w/ dinner tonight, and had a little more carbs (rye bread) with lunch. Didn't want to overdo it since I didn't work out today. Still doing good w/ avoiding chocolate - only having 1 hershey kiss after dinner!
    Last edited by trainingal70; 03-31-2020 at 03:52 PM.

4/1 -

Weighed myself this morning: 147 1/2lb.
    I weighed 151lb. on 3/24, 148 on 3/28. My goal for end of April is to be at or below 143lb - very doable!
    My mid-section looks a little tighter today than it did in my photos I posted on 3/28. I will update the photos at the end of April, hoping for a discernible difference!

Exercise:

Elliptical 45 min. - Felt good after the rest day yesterday. Planning on lifting in the garage tomorrow.

Nutrition:

Another good day of meals. i was hungry a lot today, so I ate 2 small "lunches" at 11:45 & 2:00. Breakfast was at 9:00, dinner at 6:30. Stuck to my 1 hershey kiss for dessert!
    Last edited by trainingal70; 04-01-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Originally Posted by trainingal70 View Post
    4/1 -

Weighed myself this morning: 147 1/2lb.
    I weighed 151lb. on 3/24, 148 on 3/28. My goal for end of April is to be at or below 143lb - very doable!
    My mid-section looks a little tighter today than it did in my photos I posted on 3/28. I will update the photos at the end of April, hoping for a discernible difference!

Exercise:

Elliptical 45 min. - Felt good after the rest day yesterday. Planning on lifting in the garage tomorrow.

Nutrition:

Another good day of meals. i was hungry a lot today, so I ate 2 small "lunches" at 11:45 & 2:00. Breakfast was at 9:00, dinner at 6:30. Stuck to my 1 hershey kiss for dessert!
    Good progress. Looking forward to updated pics.

4/2 -

Exercise:

Had a nice "garage gym" session today:

Did some jumprope to warm up & get the blood flowing, few sets of 15 pushups, 1 arm rows w/ 25lb. DB,
    lunges w/ 25lb. DB's.

Alternating 1-arm DB Snatches: Tabata: 4 minutes of 20 sec. exercise, 10 sec. rest. 4 rounds with a rest in between. That totals up to 192 reps!!

Finished with more pushups, squats & jumprope.

Nutrition:

Another day of sticking to the diet. Dinner was a little bit of a test: I had take-out Peruvian chicken w/ fries. I did a good job of only putting a few fries on my plate and only eating those few. I'm working on eating "junk food" sparingly & in moderation, as in the past I am either doing one extreme or the other - eating no cheat foods on a contest diet, or eating whatever whenever.

4/3 -

Didn't get in any exercise today - after work I went grocery shopping for food to take to our weekend cabin, packed up, & drove out. I did stick to my diet, though. I'm used to eating whatever I want at the cabin, so i purposely only brought a tiny amount of chocolate for a little treat each day. I also brought my garage gym equipment so I can get in some exercise. Will also be walking, and maybe a jog if it's warm enough.

4/4 -

Well, today was a lazy day - no exercise other than a walk. It was too chilly for me to work out in the garage, I'm a wimp when it comes to being cold.

I did stay with my diet today, so I'm very happy about that. I usually snack a lot when staying at the cabin, but not today! We'll be here one more day, then back home to the usual routine.

4/5 -

2nd day out at the cabin. Went for a good long walk, that felt good. Stuck to my diet - I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have any bad chocolate cravings, since usually when I'm out there I eat whatever I want.

Back home now, all prepped for work tomorrow - got my breakfast made & ready to go. Hopefully I'll get out of work early, around 10:00 am, and "work from home" the rest of the day. Luckily I don't have to be tied to my work laptop the entire time during my work hours at home. I can check in periodically & see if there's anything I need to do, and can squeeze in a nice jog outside.

4/6 -

Exercise:

Such a nice warm, sunny day! Ran a 5k. I'm really slooooow - Not that I was ever fast, I used to run a 10 min. mile when running 3+ miles, now it's more like 11:30. Really embarrassing. I was a sprinter in school for a few years, never did like distance. Hopefully as I lose some weight my mile average will get faster.

Nutrition:

Another good day. 3 meals with a good balance of protein, carb, & healthy fat. I had a few peanuts late afternoon to hold me over for an hour before dinner, and I had 3 semi-sweet hershey kisses after dinner.

I'm really surprised that I haven't had any cravings yet - it makes me nervous that when the cravings strike, it will be bad, lol!

Tomorrow will be a garage gym workout day.

4/7 -

Exercise:

Garage gym workout today. Started with:
    Pushups - 4 sets x 15
    Squats - 4 sets of 15 w/ 15 lb. DBs
    1 arm rows - 4 sets of 15 w/ 25lb.
    Step-ups - 15 each leg holding 15 lb. DBs I did a set of 60 jump ropes between these sets.

Some abs w/ jump rope in between.

1 arm DB snatches - 25 lb. 4 sets of 4 min. each ( 20 sec. work, 10 sec. rest ) - I was huffing & puffing and drenched in sweat at the end, good workout!

Nutrition:

Another good day, stuck to my ratios, didn't overeat, and didn't get too hungry between meals. I ate 2 mini lunches, one before & one after working out. Ate a good breakfast & dinner.

4/8 -

I lost another pound! Down to 146 lbs. this morning. Seeing even a little change helps me stay motivated. My goal for the end of April is to be 143 lbs.

Exercise:

I ran 5k today. My legs were tired out from my workout yesterday, so it was slow, but felt good. I'm taking a break tomorrow from exercise, I have some stuff I need to get done around the house after work.

Nutrition:

Again, another good day. Seeing the scale change helps me stick to my diet.

4/9 & 4/10 -

Went for a hike w/ my dad yesterday, nice weather. Legs were tired out from the run the day before. Stuck to my diet.

No exercise today - caught up on some stuff around the house after my 1/2 work day today. Diet is still going well, no "cheat meals" yet. I would like to lose a few more pounds before I splurge a little bit.

Good for you. You'll be where you want in no time.

Originally Posted by WLR64 View Post
    Good for you. You'll be where you want in no time.
    Thanks! As long as I stick to my plan I should be!

4/11 -

Exercise:

40 min. on the elliptical today. It was a little too chilly out to go running (for me - I prefer to run only if its over 70 degrees), plus my back was bothering me from spending a big part of the day hunched over doing yard work, so I chose the less impact option. Tomorrow will be weights in the garage.

Nutrition:

I think I'm getting used to not snacking throughout the day - breakfast at 9:00, yard work, then lunch at 2:00, dinner at 7:00. Didn't get hungry between the meals. Staying busy during the day helps to cut back on snacking!

4/12 -

Exercise:

Weights in the garage again with dumbbells. I did a little extra for abs, tired them out! I hate doing abs, but should do more. Basically did all the same exercises as previously. The previous owners left a pullup bar installed in the doorway of a spare bedroom, so I've been starting my workouts with 2 sets of pullups before I head into the garage.

Nutrition:

Good day of eating. I split my lunch up again to 1/2 before working out & 1/2 after. I like that, keeps the hunger pangs away. Ate dinner kinda late, started getting too hungry, but was careful & didn't go overboard with anything. I make sure to put my portion for the whole meal on my plate, and only eat that, no seconds. Felt satisfied after dinner. Had 1 hershey kiss for dessert! Still saving that Cadbury egg for when I reach 145lb. on the scale - hopefully in the next week!

4/13 -

Exercise:

I wasn't planning to exercise today, but it was so warm & sunny I had to go for a jog. Ran 3.3 miles. My legs were a little sore from yesterday's workout, but it felt good anyway. Tomorrow will just be a walk at a nearby wildlife refuge.

Nutrition:

Ate well again today. Need to keep reminding myself to drink more water, though. I generally don't drink enough throughout the day.