Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2136

Thread: Laser Focus

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to hear about the family situation. Dementia is probably the saddest thing to see happen, it's like your family member is a totally different person. And that has to suck for the person big time, they're probably confused and freaking out all the time. Had a grandparent that went through that but I was really young at the time so I don't remember specifics from how he was. I do remember how devastated and frustrated my mom was from that situation though.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Powered by Reese's Puffs anandagirl's Avatar
    anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) anandagirl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    We still have to plan it but I think it's going to be fun. Ananda, you are really well-versed in cinema!
    Mostly just horror I love me a scary movie!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Alzheimer's is horrible.
    Team Ogre Mascot

IG: anandagirl
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/therealanandagirl
    Accountability Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171177361

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That is a pretty stressful situation with your grandmother. Pretty sad as well.
    *Trying to stay sane and get back to avi status.

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Sorry to hear about the family situation. Dementia is probably the saddest thing to see happen, it's like your family member is a totally different person. And that has to suck for the person big time, they're probably confused and freaking out all the time. Had a grandparent that went through that but I was really young at the time so I don't remember specifics from how he was. I do remember how devastated and frustrated my mom was from that situation though.
    The thing is, she doesn't have an official diagnosis yet (though it's clear she's losing her short-term memory) and she's been a hypochondriac for at least as long as my MOM has been alive, so it's very difficult because it's NOT like she's a completely different person--some of her coping with this is the same stuff she has done before but kind of worse, like lying down passively crying that she has a headache and is dizzy and won't get up, or just whining in general in a way that's very hard to have sympathy for even now that there really is something wrong with her. It's a really tough situation because of that and because of how alienated from her my mom is [she was a better grandmother to me than she was mother to my mom]. Just... bleh.

Originally Posted by anandagirl View Post
    Mostly just horror I love me a scary movie!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Alzheimer's is horrible.
    Thanks bruh. And yeahhhh you can totally have scary movies. I am WAY TOO IMPRESSIONABLE. I will have nightmares for weeks I tell you.

Originally Posted by phoenix4444 View Post
    That is a pretty stressful situation with your grandmother. Pretty sad as well.
    This may be selfish, but it makes me contemplate my own mortality more than anything... and to think about the importance of having a life partner and strong friendships for later in life as well, that sorta thing.

SO. Today was a VERY INTERESTING day in jiu jitsu land. I had a private lesson with this one really awesome instructor that I like a lot because he is super smart and verbal, which I find an easier way to learn. And I asked him at the opening of the lesson about belt promotions. I didn't ask directly why I "only" got one stripe; I just said, "I heard Marcelo talk a lot about attitude as an important part of promotions, and I was wondering if anything about my attitude might be a problem."

So he said, "Not according to me--several of us thought you deserved two or more stripes based on your skill and willingness to learn. Others, however, perceived you as being too rough during some open mats and also impatient. I think you remind Paul [second-in-command guy] of himself in some ways and he always has to tell HIMSELF to slow down, so he's trying to communicate that to you as well.

"In wrestling [which he used to do] your attitude is good--it's assumed everyone is going 100% and if you can't make it, you drop out. However, this gym is a business, so we can't encourage people to be too intense or they would drive others away."

I wound up saying that I would try to have a better attitude and in particular would try to modulate my intensity when rolling with people, or pick specifically people larger/stronger than I am (so... guys lol). But he really emphasized that according to him I'm doing really well, am picking up skills, and have a hardcore attitude that he admires. It's kind of cynical and depressing to realize that being basically too good or too strong f*cks up their business model, and that they have to reward the people who half@ss it or come in weak and uncoordinated, but business is business and frankly they know I'm gonna come and pay anyway precisely BECAUSE I'm serious. I'm hoping eventually they see my earnest effort to be a better rolling partner for others who are weaker than me, and reward that. But long-term, I don't want to get promoted because of in-gym etiquette. I want to win in competition.

And THAT IS THAT.

I also got a HELLA good lesson on half guard techniques that I will put to the test ASAP.

... warmed up with a run...

Run--2.06 miles
    1.5 miles in 10:35 (7:03 pace)
    rest easy

BJJ Private lesson--1 hour
    Half guard escapes or sweeps:
    1. "Dog fight." Go on side and get deep underhook and grab belt. Then switch leg positions and knee them in the butt while you drag your other leg out and come to knees. If they arm-whizzer you, do loose arm and tip down to slither it out, then take back or whatever.
    2. From half guard with deep underhook, grab their foot around the toes. Then sweep toward that foot.
    3. If that doesn't work, grab their leg underneath however you want and sweep the other direction.
    4. Deep half waaaay under their leg and trap the other leg between yours. Extend them and roll over while also pushing them up toward their head. Then wrap both arms around far leg and wrestle for position from single leg.
    5. Butterfly half by putting your hook in over their leg and trying to be really fast. TBH this one I need to see again.

Further tip for taking back from seatbelt: put your knee in way deep under them. Then switch knees and drag them back on the side of the "over" arm so you can get that important same side hook in! Yay.

Then did about 10 min of sparring.

I thanked the instructor afterwards and he said, "no, thank YOU, I had fun!" and gave back $20 of my payment for the lesson??? even though we went over time??? so that's awesome tbh, I feel like we have a good rapport. He said I can text him with any questions too. You guys, I feel so much better with an ally at the gym and SO MUCH BETTER knowing I'm not just delusional in thinking I have more skill than most of the other white belts.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This may be selfish, but it makes me contemplate my own mortality more than anything... and to think about the importance of having a life partner and strong friendships for later in life as well, that sorta thing.
    That's normal and where everybody's thoughts go when it comes to that stuff. How often do you get freaked out by your own mortality? I have a mini crisis like once a week, partly because I worry reincarnation may be a real thing so if I were to come back it's mathematically way more likely I'm going to end up in a third world country starving and with no clean water, srs. Going from having iphones and comfortable AF shirts and pizza delivery to THAT, fuk that so hard man. I may have mentioned this in your journal before, like I said this is a weekly panic for me, srs.

I wound up saying that I would try to have a better attitude and in particular would try to modulate my intensity when rolling with people, or pick specifically people larger/stronger than I am (so... guys lol). But he really emphasized that according to him I'm doing really well, am picking up skills, and have a hardcore attitude that he admires. It's kind of cynical and depressing to realize that being basically too good or too strong f*cks up their business model, and that they have to reward the people who half@ss it or come in weak and uncoordinated, but business is business and frankly they know I'm gonna come and pay anyway precisely BECAUSE I'm serious. I'm hoping eventually they see my earnest effort to be a better rolling partner for others who are weaker than me, and reward that. But long-term, I don't want to get promoted because of in-gym etiquette. I want to win in competition.
    That's a hard situation, good for you trying to improve yourself though. I think a lot of people don't have it in them to back off in competitive endeavors like that. It's easy to go HAM but often takes a HUGE amount of maturity and respect to reign that in. I suck at that. Even if I'm playing a "friendly" game of badminton I'm trying to destroy my opponent and make someone bleed. My growling victory dance as someone is on the ground crying is little too much sometimes.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice to get that BJJ very positive feedback! Congratulations!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's normal and where everybody's thoughts go when it comes to that stuff. How often do you get freaked out by your own mortality? I have a mini crisis like once a week, partly because I worry reincarnation may be a real thing so if I were to come back it's mathematically way more likely I'm going to end up in a third world country starving and with no clean water, srs. Going from having iphones and comfortable AF shirts and pizza delivery to THAT, fuk that so hard man. I may have mentioned this in your journal before, like I said this is a weekly panic for me, srs.

That's a hard situation, good for you trying to improve yourself though. I think a lot of people don't have it in them to back off in competitive endeavors like that. It's easy to go HAM but often takes a HUGE amount of maturity and respect to reign that in. I suck at that. Even if I'm playing a "friendly" game of badminton I'm trying to destroy my opponent and make someone bleed. My growling victory dance as someone is on the ground crying is little too much sometimes.
    I feel you on both counts, hammy. I think about existential stuff almost every day; I have since I was quite young, maybe 4 years old. Reincarnation is the least of my worries... I just LIKE BEING ALIVE and don't want it to stop. I'd take any existence over nonexistence, but unfortunately our live course is dedicated to slowly getting rid of this self we like to hold onto so tightly.

As for the competitive spirit, definitely that's who I am, but in a combat sport it's interesting yet counterintuitive that sometimes you need to chill out, not be led by anger or need to win, and focus on just doing the moves right. At least, I think that's how it works.

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Nice to get that BJJ very positive feedback! Congratulations!
    Haha thanks m8. Partly positive, anyway. I do want to work on my attitude and spazzyness.

Today was interesting BJJ... a really cool move that's great for getting out of a bad position, and something I can see others doing to me quite often. I wish we had also learned to counter it! I'll ask another time. I rolled with mostly purple belts this time, along with one brown, and WOW I can tell the difference. They're on another level, which is so cool to experience. Of course, I got completely beaten, but I like that sometimes--I like seeing what they are doing so I can copy it.

I didn't run before BJJ and only stayed for one class because I don't feel super great. The gf is sick with some throat thing and I REALLY hope I don't also have it. I'm just. Not. Into. Being. Sick. After that super long bronchitis thing. Bleargh. I'm going to nap today and see if I feel better I guess? Hope it's just allergies.

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 nogi
    Defending against someone picking up your legs and trying to pass them. When they throw your legs, roll over onto your shoulder, almost as if you're showing them your back, but get your feet under you and push yourself back over so that you can get them in either full guard or triangle.

4 x 2 min drills of just doing this
    2 x 3 min positional rounds starting with one person on hands and knees and the other with one arm across the back
    2 x 5 min regular rounds

Like I said, rolled with mostly higher belts and got submitted a bunch! But worked on my positioning, and got really close to some half guard sweeps. So close. Next time I want to work on really finishing them. At one point I think my roll partner just had too many posts somehow, like posted an arm to prevent the sweep, and I need to review how to deal with that.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hopefully it is just allergies. But just in case I will send healthy vibes to you to ward of sickness.

I didn't run before BJJ and only stayed for one class because I don't feel super great. The gf is sick with some throat thing and I REALLY hope I don't also have it. I'm just. Not. Into. Being. Sick. After that super long bronchitis thing. Bleargh. I'm going to nap today and see if I feel better I guess? Hope it's just allergies.
    No no no NOOOO!!! I'm obsessed with taking vit C tablets through the day, been doing it for months now. I feel like I can't stop, I'm so afraid to get the sickness. I get devastated when I'm sick - can't lift, can't run, don't enjoy food, can't sleep properly. When I'm sick you could gallop into my living room on a majestic donkey carrying meat lover pizzas for me and I would still not be amused.
    Current PRs:

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    *fingers crossed* Hoping you don't get sick again. Seems like you just got better.

Kinda funny Ham on the whole vitamin C thing and such. I don't take any, on occasion remember the multivitamin though almost out and not sure when I'll buy more and I work in a retail pharmacy. Rarely ever sick.

Things seems to be going good on the BJJ front.The private lesson sounds like things are going well for the future.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother, I can't imagine how hard that is. I had a friend who was the caretaker for his grandfather with dementia, and it took a huge toll on him.

Lol @ Hobbes saying "How often do you get freaked out by your own mortality? I have a mini crisis like once a week"
    At least it's not just me then!

I'm say that's actually pretty good feedback, you're skilled, passionate, and eager to learn/learn quickly. If the only improvement you could make is to take it easier on the other females/partner with the bigger people more, that's excellent. Sure it kind sucks to hold back, but your aptitude isn't in question.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Lol @ Hobbes saying "How often do you get freaked out by your own mortality? I have a mini crisis like once a week"
    I need a legit support group that huddles in a couch cushion fort once a week and discusses these things.
    Current PRs:

No no no NOOOO!!! I'm obsessed with taking vit C tablets through the day, been doing it for months now. I feel like I can't stop, I'm so afraid to get the sickness. I get devastated when I'm sick - can't lift, can't run, don't enjoy food, can't sleep properly. When I'm sick you could gallop into my living room on a majestic donkey carrying meat lover pizzas for me and I would still not be amused.
    Yeah, I'm definitely sick. I didn't work out between last Friday and today, just slept a TON. I'm so exhausted. First few days my throat was insanely sore and I was coughing; next few days it turned into more upper respiratory; today I feel a little better but still sneezing, congested, and hot. I also went to the doctor and had a 101 degree fever Monday. I got a blood test, but they still haven't gotten back to me despite saying it would be two days (it's been 3). I'm so frustrated by this I can't even tell you--I can't remember the last time I felt truly 100% and not deep-down fatigued and tight in my chest. I am really upset tbh.

Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    *fingers crossed* Hoping you don't get sick again. Seems like you just got better.

Kinda funny Ham on the whole vitamin C thing and such. I don't take any, on occasion remember the multivitamin though almost out and not sure when I'll buy more and I work in a retail pharmacy. Rarely ever sick.

Things seems to be going good on the BJJ front.The private lesson sounds like things are going well for the future.
    Yeah, I think the private lesson bodes well! I like that instructor. Sadly, on the health front, I'm not sure if I ever truly got better I'm still waiting to see what's up.

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother, I can't imagine how hard that is. I had a friend who was the caretaker for his grandfather with dementia, and it took a huge toll on him.

I'm say that's actually pretty good feedback, you're skilled, passionate, and eager to learn/learn quickly. If the only improvement you could make is to take it easier on the other females/partner with the bigger people more, that's excellent. Sure it kind sucks to hold back, but your aptitude isn't in question.
    My grandmother is definitely in a downward spiral and we're looking into getting her fulltime care. Today she called me frantically asking for money because she lost some of what I gave her last time, and then when I got there she couldn't find her wallet to put it in. She keeps asking me the same questions over and over. It just sucks.

I agree with you totally on the BJJ front, though. When I'm healthy again I'm going to be killing it.

I need a legit support group that huddles in a couch cushion fort once a week and discusses these things.
    Very much in favor. I could make 1 of my workout log days here an existential angst discussion day. Which day should it be?

So, as mentioned above, my health has completely sucked and I've never been this tired before in my life, possibly. No idea why I am so dragged down by this, it is incredibly frustrating to feel like my immune system hates me. Maybe I just never fully recovered from last time because I didn't take a break? Either way, I did take almost a week off just now... today I went to the gym to see if I would feel better after a run. I did not in particular.

Run--1.8 miles
    2 x 200m @ 7:00, 6:35 pace
    4 x 20 seconds @ 4:50 pace

The only reason I did some faster sprint type things is because my legs felt like they sorely needed to be stretched out, and I didn't want to do any effort that was aerobic. Meh whatever. Afterwards I did a tiny bit of plyo stuff like bounding, shot drill (down to one knee then up lunge type thing, but fast, for takedowns), broad jumps, and single leg hops. That was just to basically again, stretch stuff out because I'm going insane.

But I'm still super tired and it may have been a bad idea so ... whatever, blah. I feel all hot and stuffed up and achy/tired. Soooo effing ready for this to be gone so I can get back to BJJ.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aww. Sorry to hear you're struggling with health again/still. It does seem like you didn't quite get recovered from the last time. Wish I had advice cause really I should be sick more often but I don't do anything in particular to avoid the ick so have no tips to offer. Hope you feel better soon!
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Aww. Sorry to hear you're struggling with health again/still. It does seem like you didn't quite get recovered from the last time. Wish I had advice cause really I should be sick more often but I don't do anything in particular to avoid the ick so have no tips to offer. Hope you feel better soon!
    Thanks brahette. It's okay. I just must have a really chitty immune system or something, because I do seem to get sick more often than might be predicted. Or it's the amount of BJJ I do... no that I want to change that, really. I do feel better today, though definitely not 100%, and I did go back to BJJ just because I had an appointment with a friend to do drills after class. I kept it all pretty low-intensity apart from maybe a couple of the live rolls, so even though I was there for 3 hours it wasn't really hardcore BJJ for all that time. I sat out a lot of the live rolls, as well (only did, I think, 6?). And took a nap this afternoon.

BJJ--3 hours (sort of)

Level 1 gi
    Defense against headlock from side control (post arms, then swing knee over, make frame to break out, then arm bar)
    If you are on your back, bring elbow down and then run legs around starting with hip escape, then use legs to swing over their head (both legs) to help you regain position on top OR if they run away, run other direction and put in hook, then get seatbelt to RNC
    Variations if they also have underhook (lock arms around them and bridge them over)

Open mat
    About 6 x 4-5 min rounds

Drill--1 hour (ish)
    Drilled half guard sweeps including a new one from knee shield/z guard plus grab collar, technical stand start, quickly switch collar grab to underhook and drive
    Also worked closed guard sweeps and triangle

I'm going to try to do more drilling. The idea is to spend 5 minutes going back and forth between you with what you want to work on. So I chose to work on my half guard, because I'd been doing that in my private lesson and wanted to nail it down, and he worked on a few things he wanted to review himself (also some half guard, plus reverse de la Riva and omoplata from closed guard--I actually got to help him a tiny bit with that because it's a good move for me). Anyway, I'm trying to do this more: I've friended a few people on FB from the BJJ gym and we can work independently together some of the time.

Again, not 100%, but on antibiotics and definitely less overtly sick. Still fatigued and breathing isn't great, but better. We'll see. I just really missed BJJ in my routine and my body gets way more stiff and sore NOT working out than if I do something.

Also, when I'm over this sickness I want to get back to eating no added sugar and on a calorie deficit... being sick derailed my cut after I was doing really well for about 3 months. I don't know if I'm just having bad body image because I'm sick or what, but definitely at least cutting out dessert again will make me feel better.
    Last edited by shesprints; 06-30-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Holy ham man, why are you getting sick so often? :'( In the summer too, that's rare I think. Do you have any seasonal allergies? I'm over here stacking Zyrtec, Flonase, and Claritin like a damn junkie. Nature is trying to kill me. Sounds like you got something else going on too but if you have untreated allergies I'd think that would make everything 10x worse.
    Very much in favor. I could make 1 of my workout log days here an existential angst discussion day. Which day should it be?
    Tues night or Wed morning, I'm generally in FML mode those times. I don't eat candy so I can't just grab a Snickers bar to calm the fark down.
    Current PRs:

Holy ham man, why are you getting sick so often? :'( In the summer too, that's rare I think. Do you have any seasonal allergies? I'm over here stacking Zyrtec, Flonase, and Claritin like a damn junkie. Nature is trying to kill me. Sounds like you got something else going on too but if you have untreated allergies I'd think that would make everything 10x worse.

Tues night or Wed morning, I'm generally in FML mode those times. I don't eat candy so I can't just grab a Snickers bar to calm the fark down.

Wednesday is usually my day off working out, so I'm good with that.

As for allergies, I actually got tested last time I was at the doctor (Monday) and all I'm allergic to is: cats, mice, and one specific type of mold. No other allergies to environmental factors, so that shouldn't have anything to do with this. I honestly don't know what's going on and it's REALLY frustrating to me. I feel like I work so hard on fitness, and I keep getting knocked back.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Wednesday is usually my day off working out, so I'm good with that.

As for allergies, I actually got tested last time I was at the doctor (Monday) and all I'm allergic to is: cats, mice, and one specific type of mold. No other allergies to environmental factors, so that shouldn't have anything to do with this. I honestly don't know what's going on and it's REALLY frustrating to me. I feel like I work so hard on fitness, and I keep getting knocked back.
    Yeah I hear that. I get ENRAGED when I'm sick like I should be totally immune to anything like that haha. People all around me are smoking a pack a day, being fat AF, and never exercising, I'm like why the fuk didn't they get this instead of me! I'm sure they do. I get totally unreasonable when I'm sick. I'm sorry dudette, I hope you feel better very soon!
    Current PRs:

That is one hell of a sickness you got. get well soon.

Yeah I hear that. I get ENRAGED when I'm sick like I should be totally immune to anything like that haha. People all around me are smoking a pack a day, being fat AF, and never exercising, I'm like why the fuk didn't they get this instead of me! I'm sure they do. I get totally unreasonable when I'm sick. I'm sorry dudette, I hope you feel better very soon!
    That's basically how I feel, yeah.

That is one hell of a sickness you got. get well soon.
    Me too!!! I want to get back to running again, I just don't feel right without it. At least I'm back at BJJ, where it's less straightforward aerobic effort and I can take breaks without aspirating.

On that note, today was so hot that pretty much everyone was suffering at the academy so I didn't feel too much like my illness set me apart as particularly lame.

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 1 gi
    Guard pull to standing arm bar (cross grip with elbow over their arm and keep hips really high as you swing your leg across)
    Sweep from closed guard by walking out with two on one sleeve grip and kicking knee out while pinching with other knee to turn them to mount
    Mount to arm bar clamping arm with elbow and cross collar grip as you turn on them
    Drill alternating standing arm bar and guard pull to sweep

Advanced 1 gi
    Guard pass counter by blocking shoulder with hand and stiff arm and technical stand swinging to closes guard

5 x 5 min rounds live, managed to do the move from the drill a few times and reverse from half guard by coming up on the single leg

I'm getting better at recovering guard. I also made sure to pair up with people bigger and stronger than me this time, which will feel better when I'm up to my own full strength. Sorry this log is so boring right now. I should be happy I got back to BJJ at all, but it definitely is more fun when I feel up to it... then again, training when not feeling well will make it all so easy when I am better?
    --Hubert Humphrey

Somewhat better today, though not entirely. Did a short run before BJJ (inside on treadmill due to heat).

Run--1.55 miles
    3 x 20-second strides

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 nogi
    Half guard sweep. Start in half guard (one of your legs between theirs) and move legs to outside. Use one hand to push their hip out so you can hip escape enough to bring one foot in to hook under their thigh, then, while you use that to lift them, scissor out your over leg. Meanwhile, grap their arm on the side you're sweeping to, wrench it off ground, and sweep them. If the sweep fails, then bring knee up quickly and get closed guard.

2 x 1 min positional start
    4 x 3 min positional start then live round
    5 min live round

Went pretty well, managed to get closed guard on a brown belt and generally worked on defense and positioning. Was able to do all the rounds, so I must be getting better. Throat's still iffy and breathing kind of hurts, but less.

So yeah, feeling lots better. Also had a lot of work today. My friend is having a big 4th of July party and she's invite this woman I have a really long history with (I told the story a few pages back but yeah, awkward). Unfortunately, Rachel has to work in the lab and probably can't come, though she may come late. Sooo that's going to be tough. Of course, this other woman may not come at all in which case who cares. We'll see.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Ugh, it's so hot already. I get home and it's just blah cause can't run the AC all the time since I have too much else to pay for still. Need to sleep with an ice pack.

4th of July drama. Hope things work out and it's fun. I will be at work, that is all. So, have some fun for me.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

I second what Fiction2Fitness said.

Ugh, it's so hot already. I get home and it's just blah cause can't run the AC all the time since I have too much else to pay for still. Need to sleep with an ice pack.

4th of July drama. Hope things work out and it's fun. I will be at work, that is all. So, have some fun for me.
    I second what Fiction2Fitness said.

I will have fun for both of you! I do have one student early in the morning, but then I'm done. I don't really mind one student.

So good news, everyone! (I've been watching Futurama). I feel a lot better today. Still a little more fatigued than I'd usually be, but the sore throat has mostly worn off and I can breathe a lot better. So a good day, aside from the two-hour ordeal that was taking my grandmother to the bank to help her pay her rent. That was rough. I think we need to get her a wheelchair or walker or something, though she keeps insisting "I'm not disabled!" while at the same time groaning "I'm dizzy, I'm dizzy, I can't." We're looking at getting her more care, so we'll see about that.

Today is my favorite day in some ways because it's WRESTLING CLASS! The best teacher was there today. Plus I paired up with a Brazilian guy who had never trained standing at his old gym and I got to teach him some of the ropes. I made sure he didn't think I was being condescending--I think he appreciated being shown what to do because I know I've felt that way in the past.

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 1 gi
    Open guard defense drills
    Arm bar swings
    Overhead sweep if they balance weight on you and you have sleeve
    Scythe sweep (sleeve and collar grip, hand covering front of ankle, swing other leg underneath their far leg)
    Tripod sweep, make sure to switch side of grips
    Passing legs--on the side you are NOT passing bring knee up and grab something on upper body, then jump legs over one at a time. Extend your back leg quite a bit.

Wrestling for BJJ
    Hand fighting lesson, clearing collar ties
    1. Circle toward them on the side they have the tie then overhand grip bicep and pull down.
    2. Steering wheel: four fingers inside bicep and club back of neck. Replace hand with other hand plus head against their neck and shoulder, and go for single leg.
    3. Overhook to crossface them toward their underhook side then same club switch circle to single.
    4. Grab forearm and club etc.
    5. Drop down under their collar tie and shoot double.

If they don't let you get the single after any of these, two options:
    1. Front headlock and pull them down.
    2. Switch stance and windmill arms to push them through the space and take their back. (Hudson does this sort of big switch of weight a lot I'm noticing).

Note throughout: keep feet moving and circle!!!

So yeah, felt good today, yay! Happy Fourth of July everyone. Now that I'm not sick anymore my attitude is a lot better and I'll be fine socializing tomorrow no matter who's there.
    --Hubert Humphrey

So good news, everyone! (I've been watching Futurama). I feel a lot better today.
    It's about fukking time!!!
    So yeah, felt good today, yay! Happy Fourth of July everyone. Now that I'm not sick anymore my attitude is a lot better and I'll be fine socializing tomorrow no matter who's there.
    Happy Fourth of Memorial-Giving-Easter-Labor-Day! All these damn holidays merge together for me. There's copious amounts of delicious food, but also crazy drama and someone ends up beaning someone else in the head with a corn on the cob and the police and or fire dept have to visit again. Don't forget to wear your safety goggles!
    Current PRs:

Lol thanks hammy. I may have spoken too soon about being better as I felt somewhat knocked back yesterday and had to skip my friend's BBQ to just sleep. Then today I woke up still meh but decided to go to BJJ anyway and then somehow felt better? Maybe the Claritin kicked in. It was a good lesson and some hard rolls! One guy who's been at the gym about the same time as I have and is close to the same level said "you're so strong and balanced" and I was like Yaaay.

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 gi
    Defense against half guard underhook: back step over them, far side post arm, and bring their knees to you then escape your leg. Don't close underhook and lock hands until leg escapes or they will sweep! Take either side or mount.
    If you can't get underhook on far aide do reverse underhook and then walk your arm back to extend theirs over theie head. Grab the armpit of their gi. Then escape leg and take side control or mount.

4 x 4-5 min, 1 x 3 min rounds
    Getting much better at recapturing closed guard and not getting guard passed! Marcos's lesson paying off a lot. Almost got RNC and triangle choke also.

So yeah all good. And I avoided the smelly girl. Made some new friends also.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Whew. Finally had a chance to have a nice date with the gf unmarred by sickness. While I was sick I kinda lost my libido, which threw me off a bit... I should say that while I was sorting out my sexuality, I thought for awhile I might be asexual because things weren't working out with men. So I suppose when I don't feel in the mood I worry that's true, though now I think about it, it's obviously not (and there's nothing wrong with being asexual, of course, I just value my sexuality because it's taken me so long to find it I suppose).

Anyway! The good news is also that I'm a lot better in nogi than gi jiu jitsu. I thought that was the case, but it was proven today when I matched up wtih this guy I had also rolled with yesterday. We are close to the same size and strength and also began at the same time, so I enjoy sparring with him quite a lot. Anyway, he focuses more on BJJ in the gi and I saw that when I completely destroyed him today in nogi. So interesting, because we are fairly evenly matched in gi! I guess my hard work in nogi classes is paying off. I do enjoy them more, tbh. I find the gi so cumbersome.

I also felt well enough to do a little run before class.

Run--1.67 miles
    400m @ 6:40 pace, 200m @ 6:15

BJJ--1 hour
    Level 2 nogi
    Bottom position guarding against a standing opponent
    1. Grab knee, sit in mermaid position with front leg around their leg and back leg behind you angled so you can stand. Come up to a single and run the pipe (circle them outward while keeping head UP and tight to their chest).
    1. Block their knee and put your outside shin over it preparing to sweep. Fall sideways, sweep leg over you, and go to single leg x (grab under your thigh to help takedown; keep hips HIGH).

10 x 2:30 rounds switching who starts from top or bottom (standing or sitting). Last round restart from knees.
    Live rounds went surprisingly well. I got a couple of sweeps successfully. I also successfully transitioned from trying an omoplata to, when my partner managed to escape, turned it into an arm bar attempt by holding onto the wrist (holding in is very hard in nogi because SLIPPERY). I also enjoyed how much wrestling technique was incorporated in this lesson with the single leg element. I always enjoy when we can finish takedowns and today there was room!

I also bonded with this blue belt woman who partnered with me for drills. She asked me for running tips.
    --Hubert Humphrey