Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Focus

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    I think I pinpointed the problem. It's not the bone, thank goodness--it's that my glute medius on that side is relatively weak (not weak overall, but I need to do more sideways band walks, etc.) and my adductor is tight. The person who taught Pilates today helped me with it and I feel much better.
    Yay! Always feels good to figure these things out, and know you can work on them.
    Being more relaxed about food, feels good. I took those 3 weeks of cutting and now I want to take a break. I like the idea of mini-cuts to maintain until I find a comfortable plateau.
    Yes to mini cuts, long cuts aggravate me. >.< I have the time for this cut to have a maintenance break at some point, but I'm not always good at planning breaks. Hell, I blew all of last week like wtf ever and I had barely been cutting long enough to lose water weight.

I did have an excuse for two of those days though... two days, one week, not a big difference. Right?
    Snow day here today. Mucho snow. Stay safe NYCers.
    In NYC? I'm a couple hours north-er, and barely got anything. Not into the idea of shoveling, but at least a thick layer of snow would look nicer.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    @Fiction thanks for checking in, I know you had a meet and when I've got my chit together I'ma go check in on how it went. Been a rough few days here in Sam land.

@Luna, to be fair, I'm not certain you even need to cut with your stats, but you can definitely afford to be more relaxed. I'm so OCD about this stuff I struggle to take a few days without counting/measuring exactly--though I did this weekend, because of holiday parties and my dad's bday. And it went fine! However, sadly, eating unfamiliar food messed my stupid stomach up so I've felt kind of off just due to that, and also the hip thing.

I decided my hip and glute will feel better with some more muscle work. So today I started some German Volume Training style trap bar deadlifts; started off at 6 x 8 and will work up to 10 x 10 then increase weight. Honestly felt better after doing it. I did "push" stuff yesterday so today is like a "pull" day I suppose.

Trap bar deadlifts 135lb 6 x 8 w/ 3 second lower
    Dead hang 1 min
    Assisted pullup blue 3 x 3
    Assisted chinup blue 3 x 4
    Bent over single arm row 25lb 3 x 8 right, 4 x 8 left
    Lat pulldown w pause at chest 70lb 3 x 8
    Lat pulldown neutral grip w single hand release 55lb 3 x 6
    Leopard crawl, bear crawl, sideways pushup walks, backwards leg pulses for glute

+

3.05 miles easy run

Not doing ENOUGH lifting seems to mess me up along with doing too much. A couple of friends of mine who do BJJ also swear by GVT so we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by shesprints; 12-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    GVT is brutal but I believe it’s a tried and true method that has proved worthy through the test of time. All of that volume=somethin’s gotta grow, lel.
    ~Chill Crew~ (⌐■_■)
    Grateful family member checking in ‎ シ ♡
    Be the reason someone smiles today

Fight the good fight every moment
    Every minute, every day
    Fight the good fight every moment
    It's your only way -Triumph

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JaymzJ View Post
    GVT is brutal but I believe it’s a tried and true method that has proved worthy through the test of time. All of that volume=somethin’s gotta grow, lel.
    That's what I'm hoping.

Meanwhile I'm struggling with bad anxiety. It worries me how I rely on running for my mental health. On the bright side, doing some faster running seemed to straighten me out and work the right muscles today so my hip feels better.

Run--3.55 miles
    1.5 miles @ 7:30 pace
    2 x .25 mile @ 7:00 pace
    Rest easy

Would have done longer speed intervals but ran too soon after lunch and was getting stomach cramps. Blah.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    @Luna, to be fair, I'm not certain you even need to cut with your stats, but you can definitely afford to be more relaxed. I'm so OCD about this stuff I struggle to take a few days without counting/measuring exactly--though I did this weekend, because of holiday parties and my dad's bday. And it went fine! However, sadly, eating unfamiliar food messed my stupid stomach up so I've felt kind of off just due to that, and also the hip thing.
    Most women at my stats wouldn't, but there's quite a few reasons for it. Namely if I continued bulking now, I would have to cut way too aggressively to hope to hit my goal weight before my next bulk. I can't get a long bulk in unless I start soon enough (June-July). I keep trying to go longer, not giving myself room to cut properly (I stay stricter during the week, but I do drink, and have cheat meals so it slows me down a bit), and ending up with crap cycles because the timing is off.
    I was supposed to do this last time, and be at my goal by June/July, but got off track, and gained a lot, so I was putt off a couple months, and still didn't hit my goal.

Also stuff like I can't afford to bulk higher then low 150's so getting a bit lower to start can add 2 months if I don't over bulk. Can't afford = I don't wear leggings, and my jeans aren't what I'd call fitting at my high weight. I can't start lean yet, so I want at least to get to where there's a bit of looseness in jeans so I can gain 15lbs over (ideally) 7-8 months, vs 10lbs in 5-6.

It's not a big cut, I just like to be prepared for setbacks so I planned a longer one. Then I'll be set up for a longer bulk, hopefully be able to keep it moderate again, and make the most of it.

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ooo GVT. I'll have to see how it goes with you. Maybe something to check out.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

@Luna, I've been reading some interesting things about the effect on bulking of intermittent cuts. The theory is that doing a week-long cut in the middle of a bulking cycle helps to prime your body to partition fuel to muscle. Interesting stuff. I also have an IRL friend who has a RIDICULOUSLY ripped physique and liked to do something like 6-week bulk/6-week cut minicycles.

Personally I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. I guess I'd say I "listen to my body" lately--which works since I'm off the stupid meds that made me gain weight. Based on that, I feel like I can cut when my appetite is naturally lower and when I'm really low-energy I go back to maintenance, which is what I'm doing now. Bulking isn't really in my future since running is still a priority, but we'll see--maybe.

@Fiction2Fitness, it's worth looking into. It works for a lot of people. 10 x 10 is an insane rep scheme but I'ma try it for upper body next gym sesh now that I've done it for lower, and see how it goes.

I didn't do GVT today, just wanted to do some squats and such and didn't have much time before work.

Band pullaparts orange band 3 ways 3 x 8
    Seated band adductions x 35
    Band sideways walks 3 x 10 each way
    Squats 135lb x 6, 155lb 3 x 3, 135lb x 6
    Pushups 3 x 12
    Assisted neutral grip pullups red 3 x 3, orange 2 x 6

+

Run--3.27 miles
    including 5 x 40 second strides @ 6:40, 6:31, 6:18, 6:11, 6:00

Hip is better. Turns out lifting was good medicine for it, who knew?

Plan for next time is 10 x 10 assisted pullups (will have to use more assistance, lol) + 10 x 10 some combination of pushups and dips (maybe 5 x 10 of each? Dips would have to be assisted if it's 10 reps, sigh). Also some other stuff. We'll see.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Sooooo I think a lot of my soreness and mood issues have been because I let my carb intake lapse while cutting. Back to maintenance for at least a little bit while adding volume on lifts. More carbs make me feel so much better, holy fuk.

Today:

3.05 miles easy run

That's it. Going to see Star Wars tonight with some friends.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I think some people who either have a solid foundation already, or are part of the rare few that can put on muscle faster (w/o "helpers" though that technically would make mini bulk/cuts easier, not that I'd ever advise it, just going with the topic) will benefit, but it's not practical for 99% of women. You'd also have to be doing everything so accurately, as far as training, macros, etc. Not to mention the deficit in those cuts would have to be teeny to avoid muscle mass at all cost.
    Most, like me, will be off on macros sometimes, have days that are super high in calories both bulking, and cutting, train well, but maybe not 100% optimally, etc. While a women doing everything 99.9% right may gain 1lb of muscle a month, most women won't be, and will end up gaining half that, so the bulk needs to be longer to make as much as 99.9% girl. In turn, 99.9% girl will lose the minimum muscle one can lose on a cut, and average girl will lose a bit more. Just enough to spin the wheels.

Lol, not trying to go on a ramble, just enjoying the topic. I see people recommend it to newbies though, and I'm always tempted to break out that rant (most newbs need to learn the bare basics, and that takes time). For me, long imperfect bulks, and cuts with their ups and downs works best. May not get the most optimal results, but I do get results. I have to take into account my training issues due to lack of equipment, and reoccuring body hiccups too.

That said, I have considered it for the future, one I have a solid home gym, have worked out my hindrances, and can be more accurate (and generally better with) my nutrition. Like when I'm just trying to tweak certain parts, and can put on smaller amounts of mass at a time with teeny cuts.

Sorry for the big post lol. Enjoy the movie.

Luna, that makes sense. I've had such a WEIRD history with working out and sports that I never wound up starting from "scratch" physique-wise in terms of bulk and cut cycles.

So it turns out that trying to do 10 x 10 sets of my worst exercise (assisted pullups -_-) is not a great idea on the day after I got 4 hours of sleep due to watching The Last Jedi. Oh well! It was still a fun movie. Great cinematography. About an hour too long. Oh well.

Workout:

Band pullaparts 3 ways 3 x 8 orange band
    Sideways band walks 3 x 10 each way
    Snatch grip deadlift 115lb x 8, 135lb x 8, 155lb 3 x 5
    Assisted neutral grip pullups blue + red 4 x 10, blue x 9
    Assisted pullups blue + orange 1 x 10, 5
    Assisted chinups blue + orange 1 x 7, 5
    Pushups 5 x 10
    Assisted dips 60lb 5 x 10
    GHR 3 x 10
    Single leg hamstring curl 50lb 3 x 8 each leg
    Leopard crawl, bear crawl, sideways pushup walk

+

Run--3.28 miles
    including 5 x 40-second strides @ 6:40, 6:31, 6:18, 6:11, 6:00 pace

so I didn't get to 10 x 10 of the assisted pullups, but I DID get in more volume than I have on those I think ever, so oh well!
    Plus also a bunch of dips and pushups. My arms actually felt a little shaky afterwards. I'm hoping at some point to be able to do the dips unassisted. I CAN do unassisted dips, just not that many of them.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I feel pretty awful today--sickish--not sure why I feel like this so often. SO logy and lethargic and yet having a hard time sleeping, coughing, stomach hurts. Most of my food intake today has been fruit, I just can't stomach anything it seems like.

I thought running might make me feel better so I did 3 miles super easy. Unfortunately, I went to the gym to use the treadmill and when I had about ten minutes left this INCREDIBLY smelly guy got on the treadmill next to me. I tried to ignore it for awhile, as he seemed self-conscious enough (he was very fat as well), but it was so bad I couldn't breathe. Finally I just said, "Excuse me, sir, could you move over?" He said sure and then he just got off and left. He probably knew he smelled. Why would you go into a public space like that????? I think I handled it as best I could tbh.

Anyway... hope I can get some sleep tonight. I feel legitimately AWFUL.

Run--3.05 miles
    all easy

bleh.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Still under the weather (throat and stomach--zero appetite). Working out almost makes me feel normal IDK why. I keep thinking, oh, I'll take a day off the gym and feel better, but then I feel antsy and have leg cramps like my legs need to move. I had almost forgotten this feel. It's runner life--it becomes automatic, so I NEED to do it to feel normal. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Wound up with close to 60% calories from carbs yesterday. Seems like that's easiest on my stomach. Fat is not good for it right now, I suppose because of slow gastric emptying. Getting plenty of protein too.

Anyway, did some more volume to approach the 10 x 10 rep scheme I'm aiming at for this training cycle.

Band pullaparts 3 ways 3 x 8
    Band sideways walks 3 x 10 each way
    Scapula pushups 3 x 10
    Trap bar deadlifts 135lb 8 x 8
    GHR 10lb 3 x 8
    Prone single leg hamstring curl 50lb 3 x 8
    Bench press 85lb 6 x 8
    Assisted neutral grip pullup red band 3 x 3

+

3.25 miles run
    5 x 40 seconds @ 6:40 pace

It's funny--the deadlifts actually felt easier as I went on, not harder. I think my back was firing better and the movement became more coordinated. That's the point of GVT, as I have read--it's a lot about the CNS and getting used to the movement.

Same with bench. I think doing a high-ish volume of that works out some of the kinks in my form, which is usually not so awesome for that lift (I have a tendency to wobble to one side or the other).
    --Hubert Humphrey

Luna, that makes sense. I've had such a WEIRD history with working out and sports that I never wound up starting from "scratch" physique-wise in terms of bulk and cut cycles.
    My first go at it should have been starting from scratch, since I was at such a low weight. If I actually tracked (instead of just over-bulking on all the things) I could have gone almost a year. I had very little idea of what I was doing, lol. Figured it'd do me some good to just get down to a better starting point, and give it a more solid go.
    I thought running might make me feel better so I did 3 miles super easy. Unfortunately, I went to the gym to use the treadmill and when I had about ten minutes left this INCREDIBLY smelly guy got on the treadmill next to me. I tried to ignore it for awhile, as he seemed self-conscious enough (he was very fat as well), but it was so bad I couldn't breathe. Finally I just said, "Excuse me, sir, could you move over?" He said sure and then he just got off and left. He probably knew he smelled. Why would you go into a public space like that????? I think I handled it as best I could tbh.
    I'd die. I'm so non-confrontational I'd just choke to death. If there were other treadmills I wouldn't care how they smelled, it'd freak me out. Like when there's 20 spaces on a bus, and the only other person sits right behind you. lol.
    Still under the weather (throat and stomach--zero appetite). Working out almost makes me feel normal IDK why. I keep thinking, oh, I'll take a day off the gym and feel better, but then I feel antsy and have leg cramps like my legs need to move. I had almost forgotten this feel.
    Sweating it out. Hope you feel better soon. I find that anything that's mostly head/chest cold I feel better moving around, if I've got body aches, and bad fatigue I just wants to sleep it off.

Luna, I wouldn't feel too bad about not meeting your goals perfectly. I think MOST people mess up a bulk the first time. What I will say is that I think for me at least increasing calories mainly from carbohydrate rather than fat REALLY helps me not to put on fat when I am training hard... but given that I also do so much cardio + daily activity + have genetically good insulin resistance, IDK if this works for everyone. Theoretically it should be true for bulking in general, as bulking does involve more training volume that could benefit from carbs/glycogen.

I think my sickness may be partly psycho****tic or stress-related. At least the stomachaches may be from anxiety. While I've taken some time off pilates because it was messing with my hip, I have found that I'm more anxious without it, so I did some random pilates stuff on my own today outside of the class that has a bad instructor (the good one comes back in the New Year). I hope that helps steady me a bit. So much of my choice of activity really has to do with using it to medicate my chemical mood imbalance. It's always been that way, and, even more than any natural talent I may have had, is why I embraced running as a sport.

O well.

Today:

3.05 miles very easy run

+

30 min Pilates on my own

Feeling OK, not awesome, partly because I'm in a stressful time with work--college apps are due soon and many people are freaking out at me.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Really bad news from my fam today--my little brother got seriously injured playing bball and needs two surgeries (he tore all the ligaments in his knee and dislocated his kneecap). It REALLY sucks cause my mom has to go upstate to Canyon Ranch to give a lecture this weekend, and we had planned to stay up there as a family to ski. Obviously now we cannot, so instead, my dad is going to stay with my little brother while I go up with a friend and my mom to Canyon Ranch for just a couple of days, and then we come back the night before Christmas Eve and celebrate it at my brother's house with gingerbread house making and such.

Kinda feel bad going away, but my brother said we should since he'll be out of it from surgery.

Today I am a. angry at the surgeon who kept telling my mom how "devastating" the injury is (what is she supposed to do about that??) and b. grateful for my own health right now.

So today I did some higher volume again continuing my work toward true GVT 10 x 10.

Band pullaparts 3 ways 3 x 10 each way
    Sideways band walks 3 x 10 each way
    Squats 95lb 8 x 8
    Pushups 8 x 8
    Assisted pullups blue + orange x 8, blue + red 4 x 8
    Assisted chinups blue + red 4 x 8
    Dips 3 x 3
    Dead hang 2 x 30 seconds

+

3.25 miles run
    5 x 40 seconds @ 6:40 pace

It's kind of amazing how much assistance I need to do that many pullups/chinups. However, I think the volume will really help me to activate muscles better.
    Also, I can feel my left/right imbalances evening out. I did a couple warmup sets of squats with band around knees to correct form as well.
    I feel like high volume is good for correcting movements and making them more familiar.

Side note, I still have weird lack of appetite where nothing sounds good to eat. I got kind of low blood-sugar feeling after lifting but before running but pushed through; sometimes running actually makes that go away? idk.

You would think something calorie-dense would help when I'm in this mode but it kind of doesn't, eating something high in fat and sugar--while it sounds yummy--winds up making me feel more jittery and giving me a stomachache. Not sure what to do.
    --Hubert Humphrey