Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lovooooe my lunges! With my bad hip, they are easier than squats for me.

DB or plates lunges, Bulgarian Squats, Walking lunges, Smith one legged split squats!

I have my boys do series of walking lunges for track team. Thighs are getting big and strong
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How can any form of lunges not be worth it?
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    How can any form of lunges not be worth it?
    That's my thought process, just saying in my gym only see leg press being used....but I live in mid west not exactly like fitness lifestyle is a priority here lol....
    It’s all about consistency imho ✌️

HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mcbourque View Post
    Lovooooe my lunges! With my bad hip, they are easier than squats for me.

DB or plates lunges, Bulgarian Squats, Walking lunges, Smith one legged split squats!

I have my boys do series of walking lunges for track team. Thighs are getting big and strong
    Good for you, working around past injuries....you have common sense some don't.

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    not at all a fan of doing them with a DB in each hand, but done goblet style (and reverse rather than forward) seems to be gentler on my knees.

I've trained with a pro bber a few times who loves 'bulgarian' (back leg elevated) lunges done John Meadows style but those just seem awkward as hell to me vs the goblet style.

Need to do them more often I think!
    I guess personal choice on what variations of lunges. But I like the challenge of dumbells, I have strong forearms so, not a big deal on weight. Usually start on 60's pyramid up to 100's matters on mojo that day, as far as reverse it hits my glutes more than anything, but that's just me...but I agree on the change up.

Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac Palmac
    Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    At my gym we have these long areas where you have to avoid people lunging. It can be so crowded it is like traffic lanes and people are lunging in different directions.
    Still very popular at certain locations.

I never ever see people working forearms at any of my gyms.
    I always lunge and just come back to the same spot. I'm not sure you need to travel all around the gym looking like a John Cleese character.

pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10) pesawatkertas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tried barbell lunges a few months ago and hasn't go back to db lunges since.
    I can carry more weight with barbell. My grip gave out too quickly with db lunges.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MissHolly View Post
    Hm, that's funny because I fondly refer to them as Fukin Bitch as I crank out the last few reps.
    I now do them with my front foot elevated on one---or when I'm feeling particularly strong or cheeky, 2---aerobic "steps." This allows me to go deeper and the ascent is a killer.

I also do the fluid walking DB lunges and nothing I've ever tried hits the glutes as much as these
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I started doing Smith machine split squats (because journals). Really like them. You know I spend a lot of energy with balance doing BSS, step ups, or walking lunges and while that is all good when I am on the Smith there is no interference. It's just a load on one leg at a time, back is in good position, no balance issues, and to me anyway the spotting leg can't offer much help as you can get set up with the load over the working leg. You can't use momentum to speak of, and unlike a lot of leg isolation equipment you don't have to worry about the machine fitting you well.

It's an honest exercise anyway, either your working leg is strong enough to push the load up for the reps you need or it isn't.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    I started doing Smith machine split squats (because journals). Really like them. You know I spend a lot of energy with balance doing BSS, step ups, or walking lunges and while that is all good when I am on the Smith there is no interference. It's just a load on one leg at a time, back is in good position, no balance issues, and to me anyway the spotting leg can't offer much help as you can get set up with the load over the working leg. You can't use momentum to speak of, and unlike a lot of leg isolation equipment you don't have to worry about the machine fitting you well.

It's an honest exercise anyway, either your working leg is strong enough to push the load up for the reps you need or it isn't.
    Co-signed. Legitimate advanced exercise.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Wilf7643 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by melDorado View Post
    Maybe noone does them because they gave them up like me, I find them utterly exhausting and on that basis I would say yes they must be worth doing
    LOL, I've just started to introduce them back into my routine, by jingo...balance, stability and depth = disco legs

MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    I now do them with my front foot elevated on one---or when I'm feeling particularly strong or cheeky, 2---aerobic "steps." This allows me to go deeper and the ascent is a killer.

I also do the fluid walking DB lunges and nothing I've ever tried hits the glutes as much as these
    I've seen you post before about the one foot raised in front, I believe it was in regard to hitting the quads more. I've tried that and found I was definitely more sore in the quads the next day. Now using 2 steps for that extra depth, I'm just gonna have to call you plain crazy for that one. I might brave that idea soon and see how it goes.

On the walking lunges, I can see where they'd hit differently than a stationary lunge seeing as how you're pulling yourself through the movement. Have always wanted to try them, but I have a garage gym. The only space I would have would be up and down the driveway. Not exactly ballsy enough to break out the barbell in front of the neighbors yet.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    not at all a fan of doing them with a DB in each hand, but done goblet style (and reverse rather than forward) seems to be gentler on my knees.

I've trained with a pro bber a few times who loves 'bulgarian' (back leg elevated) lunges done John Meadows style but those just seem awkward as hell to me vs the goblet style.

Need to do them more often I think!
    My current "Period" of rotation is Goblet Squats. Been doing them for the last month and especially after Back Squats, they feel good as a finishing exercise. Did 4 sets of 10 reps this morning.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kat082260 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love DB lunges. I come back to the same spot. Three sets of 20. They are difficult for me, but I think they're great for my legs

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you guys tried the DB "around the clock" lunges?

Front, front-angled, side, back-angled, back. I do that one when I get bored. Or just plan back lunges.
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

Originally Posted by mcbourque View Post
    Have you guys tried the DB "around the clock" lunges?

Front, front-angled, side, back-angled, back. I do that one when I get bored. Or just plan back lunges.
    Well that would just do me in lol...have to try that! Ty's

Originally Posted by Kat082260 View Post
    I love DB lunges. I come back to the same spot. Three sets of 20. They are difficult for me, but I think they're great for my legs
    Yes my favorite way, except 4 sets 6-8 range moderate to heavy, after warm up...very nice Kat...!

Location: corfe mullen, dorest, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50) thewhaleshark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but I honestly think a lot of guys think it's a "girl" exercise. My girlfriend got me to try it for the first time a while back. At the time my squat was 325. I did 3 sets of lunges with no weight and I could almost not walk the next day. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I hurt in places I didn't know I had! I do them regularly now.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. U.S. Marine 90-95

Location: Cinderford, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know that Arnold recommends them, they are in the leg routine I am using, second exercise after Squats. he includes them in both beginner and advanced routines. If he thinks they're worthy of inclusion, who am I to argue...

Originally Posted by thewhaleshark View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but I honestly think a lot of guys think it's a "girl" exercise. My girlfriend got me to try it for the first time a while back. At the time my squat was 325. I did 3 sets of lunges with no weight and I could almost not walk the next day. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I hurt in places I didn't know I had! I do them regularly now.
    Yes have been waiting on somebody, to say this about being girly exercise lol....in gym or on here. Ty's for bringing it up, I always thought that before trying them year or so ago, may be longer must be that. Was I wrong lmao...if anything it takes more skill cause of balance, strength and focus imo....!