pranaman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to Gain Weight and Reduce Waist Size

Hi, I am a 45 year old male. I'm 6' tall, and weight about 160.

I go to City Sports in SF, and I just finished a program based on Anthony Ellis' fastmusclegain dot com

I feel kind of similar to where he was, except my belly is larger, and there's some fat (used to eat out a lot), so I feel more like a telephone pole with a gut, not V shaped as I would like.

The program was 10 weeks, and it took me about 25, due to injury.

I now eat fairly clean:

protein:
    fish or chicken or veggie protein

carbs:
    brown rice, quinoa, or gluten free bread (yeast free too)

veggies:
    standard mix, usually organic

hardly any junk food/fried/wheat. I drink only water or tea. I went to nutrition school, so I know a fair amount.

However, the gut sticks out, and the program didn't seem to help that. I've been reading and watching: Mike Chang, the Six Pack Ab guy, someone named Mark Mcilyar, "Abs After 40", scrawnytobrawny dot com, and some other workouts.

Here's what I've learned:

green tea can help burn some of that fat
    'Ab Vacs' aka Stomach Vacuum - this seems to be the best one I know of
    Cardio might help- I can swim or walk, but I have hip pain when I run (I know of HIIT a little)
    Cortisol - that may be an issue from stress.

I work best with a plan. Was going to add ab vacs to a new workout. Just seems random, kinda guess-y.

Other options: there are free classes at the gym: yoga, ... and I can swim, however, I'm avoiding running and cycling until my hip gets better.

I have not found a solution to gain weight while reducing my belly.

Anyone have suggestions?

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    I mean this in the most helpful way possible, but you'd be best off forgetting everything you've learned and ditch the youtube hype BS. Purely based on the word fast (or any derivative of that word) or Chang should tell you that anything you're hearing is complete BS. Those guys "sell" views, not results. They put out clickbait videos so they can push exposure to get more advertisements...aka money. You'll find top notch advise on these forums with zero sales tactics.

You can't gain muscle and lose fat, at least not in any way even remotely efficiently. Pick a goal and work towards it for a few months and then switch to the opposite goal...aka bulk and cut cycles. I'd suggest reading the full body vs split routine sticky in this section, reading the macro nutrient sticky in the nutrition section. Then come back and I'll be happy to help you pick a routine. Trying to help you before is waste of both of our time. Those threads will answer a BUNCH of questions, many of which you didn't know you'd have.
    Experience, not just theory

OK, I've read the stickies. Can't post links, hope you can decipher the pages I am trying to point out. Did you mean these?

Split sticky: forum dot bodybuilding dot com/showthread.php?t=139911893

Macro sticky: forum dot bodybuilding dot com/showthread.php?t=156380183

As for one goal, all right. Good idea.

My main goal would be to reduce my waist girth, if I can add to that, I'd like to add a little weight to my frame. If not, just reducing my midsection then.

Thinking of taking some free classes at the gym plus a little lifting.

Took 'Body Works Plus Abs' the other day. All the classes are here:

citysportsfitness dot com/Pages/AerobicClasses.aspx

Planning to add in swimming, maybe yoga or bootcamp.

Redgistered User dwightaroundya's Avatar
    dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by pranaman View Post
    As for one goal, all right. Good idea.

My main goal would be to reduce my waist girth, if I can add to that, I'd like to add a little weight to my frame. If not, just reducing my midsection then.

You are underweight. As a result, you lack muscle mass, especially over 40. The best thing you can do is find a beginners program such as Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Next, you should read this, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183 . After calculating your maintenance calories, I'd advise you add about 250 calories to complement your bulk.

You're severely underweight so you should do a slow, clean bulk. It doesn't matter what you eat. Just make sure you account for you macros and calories, clean foods or dirty foods. Rule of thumb: 0.8 times your bodyweight for protein, minimum, 0.4 for fat times your bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs
    Hi.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    If you're only interested in losing a little weight, maybe adding a little (I mean little) muscle and just be in better overall shape then those group classes will work fine.

If you're interested in adding 5-10lbs of muscle or more you have to get on an actual lifting program. Group classes aren't going to really build any muscle. Look around the class, do you see any muscular guys in there? Probably not, but if you do I can almost promise you they are also following a weight lifting program.

The two programs mentioned above are both fine. There are also a few in the stickies that might catch your eye. Take a brief look at all pros and fierce 5. Pick one of the 4 mentioned routines based on your gut feeling. Any will work fine.

You will be able to gain just a little muscle while you're losing weight the first 6-8 weeks, but at some point you're only going to be losing weight. Being only 160lbs at 6ft you can't be very flabby. If you're losing 1lb a week you probably don't want to lose weight for more than 12 weeks or so. Skinny doesn't look good on anyone. That's where the bulking comes in. Eat enough to gain 1lb a week or so and do that for 3-4 months minimum. rinse and repeat

OK, thank you for all the information. Adding some pics.

While I want to bulk, I really want to focus on my midsection, to get that waist reduced, to get a 'V' tapered torso.

I see that guy Mike Chang (attached) and others who had a similar, more pronounced belly, and they got rid of it.

I just did that Anthony Ellis program, and while it took me an extra 3 months due to a torn ligament, I feel more strength in my arms, shoulders and back, but no change in my midsection.

How do I do that - decrease my midsection?
    Attached Images

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you have any before pics? Hard to say whether you had improvement or not with nothing to compare your pics too.

On the other pics you have, do you think they got like that in just 3 months?

It's all about weight training and diet.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OK, thank you for all the information. Adding some pics.

While I want to bulk, I really want to focus on my midsection, to get that waist reduced, to get a 'V' tapered torso.

I see that guy Mike Chang (attached) and others who had a similar, more pronounced belly, and they got rid of it.

I just did that Anthony Ellis program, and while it took me an extra 3 months due to a torn ligament, I feel more strength in my arms, shoulders and back, but no change in my midsection.

Pics like those you posted are bs selling pics. Drink a 2 liter Coke and don't pee and you can look like the bloated belly pic. Then go workout hard and shoot a "pump" pic and you'll get the same results.
    AllPro Simple Beginner Routine 4 Cycles
    AllPro Novice Program 3 Cycles
    Wendler 5-3-1 BBB+ and FSL
    5x5 Program

Squat:315; Bench: 260; OHP: 155; Deadlift: 330
    Bench PR 225 for 5; Deadlift PR 225 for 15
    Goals: 1/2/3/4 plate

You can't just lose weight for a v taper. You've got to pack on muscle and then lose fat to show it off. Losing fat is purely from losing weight while STILL lifting. In order to look like these guys you'll have to lift for years and do traditional bulk and cut cycles. In their before pictures they already had a lot of muscle. That's the hard part.

As mentioned above, the before/after pictures are heavily influenced by tricks. Like seen here. Hell one of the pictures you posted is in the video as an example of a BS transformation.

Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Losing fat is purely from losing weight while STILL lifting.
    Simple, basic, and 100% true facts like this are really hard to get across when the vast majority of the fitness industry is preaching "6-pack shortcuts" and selling "9-minute 6-pack abs" videos.

I watch skinny fat or overweight guys at my gym who spend their entire hour working abs and doing cardio circuits when I spend maybe 10 minutes on abs per week and have better results. Overweight or skinny fat people need to understand that heavy compound movements will do more to help get them a six-pack than some ab workout class, cardio, or stomach vacuums.
    Row from the floor.
    Eat the damned yolk.

"When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f****** thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless." -Jim Wendler

Originally Posted by Caezar07 View Post
    Simple, basic, and 100% true facts like this are really hard to get across when the vast majority of the fitness industry is preaching "6-pack shortcuts" and selling "9-minute 6-pack abs" videos.

I watch skinny fat or overweight guys at my gym who spend their entire hour working abs and doing cardio circuits when I spend maybe 10 minutes on abs per week and have better results. Overweight or skinny fat people need to understand that heavy compound movements will do more to help get them a six-pack than some ab workout class, cardio, or stomach vacuums.
    The entire industry is a joke purely because of this. It makes me sick knowing these people are profiting from lying to people. If more people just told it like it really was, there wouldn't be so many confused beginners spinning circles and not getting results.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    The entire industry is a joke purely because of this. It makes me sick knowing these people are profiting from lying to people. If more people just told it like it really was, there wouldn't be so many confused beginners spinning circles and not getting results.
    Welcome to 80% of Corporate America may I take your order?! Inb4 I turn this thread into misc.

But yeah, gaining weight and losing waist size are for the most part conflicting goals. To lose waist size you need to drop weight, to put on muscle you need to gain weight. As a beginner you can do both somewhat but don't expect mind blowing results. Also things like working out your shoulders, lats and upper back will make your waist seem smaller than it actually is.
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

@davisj3537 - that was pretty shocking. and funny.

I looked at the 5x5 program/Strong Lifts. Looks good. I did a few workouts based on that concept. Working on some hip pain and issues and pain there in, so squats are at a minimum, super light, just doing body weight at the moment. But, I went until they felt painful enough to stop.

Since I've had the ab issue so long, and eat pretty darn clean, I am thinking maybe it's a health issue.

Fairly certain it's called distension. I recall I asked an acupuncturist about it, and they said they could help, and it was something with my spleen. I ended up moving, and kind of forgot about it.

Since bodybuilding can improve health, I suspect it's "evens things out", moving crud through the intestines and shrinking the ab section.

This happens, I think, for a lot of people, but not all, it goes away. I mean, the transverse abs are stretched out, and seems they need to be shrunken or tonified. It doesn't make sense to me that other exercises makes the whole ab area smaller.

I've seen some pro body builders with distended bellies too, like this ironmagazine.com/2012/stomach-distension-and-the-modern-bodybuilder-fact-vs-fiction-part-2. So, I think it's a health issue.

I did find this: acupuncture.com/Conditions/abddist.htm. Promising.

I'm going to another L Ac soon. I'll ask again. Meanwhile, will keep lifting.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Distended gut is caused by abuse of certain anabolic drugs.

If you build enough mucle (naturally) and lose enough bodyfat, this will not happen to you.

daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think your over complicated things it's middle aged spread it happens to most of us. Get yourself into the gym on Davis's Fierce5 program 3 days a week. And keep doing it, if your lifts start to stall eat and sleep more. Rinse and repeat.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're 6' and 160 lbs. you don't have girth in your waist nor do you need to lose weight.

You need to GAIN MUSCLE!!!!

Eat in a small surplus whilst lifting on something basics like Fierce 5.

You should be doing at least the following 3x a week...

Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Row
    Ohp
    Curl
    OG

Seems like you're too caught up in trying to be a google doctor instead of following the extremely consistent advice you've received. You're still looking for the "secret formula" approach instead of doing the hard work. You're literally trying to find the 1% problem instead of doing the 99%. You say you're eating healthy and this and that, but you're not weighing your food, you're not counting calories or macros....

It's hard work. Anyone that tells you different is a liar.

Registered User Dysssfunctional's Avatar
    Dysssfunctional has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You have received good advice already. But to directly answer this question: it's fat. How do you burn fat? You have to be in a calorie deficit. For example 500 calories under your maintenance calories, every day. In this state your body will have to use fat for energy, to pay for the calories that you're missing. Won't your body use muscle for energy too? This is where training comes in. You keep training hard and eating protein in your deficit and you'll lose only minimal amount of muscle if any at all. Training also helps you burn more calories which means you'll get to eat a little more. Training less and easier on a cut is a recipe for muscle loss. You can tell you're in a calorie deficit if you're losing weight. 1lbs per week for example. You can tell it's fat that you're losing by measuring your waist (weekly for example) and making sure you're not losing (too much) strength on your lifts. These are the basics of a cut phase.

It's fat unless you're the 0.001%. You feel that you've tried anything and are out of options, but really you haven't tried anything yet. Not anything that's proven to work. Of course if you walk into a acupuncture clinic they're going to sell their fix, you're an easy target. Through all your endeavours you've been eating at your maintenance calories or over. Why would you lose fat doing that? You can't target fat loss. You simply can't, don't buy lies when the truth is free. Ab workouts are for building ab muscles not for burning fat, and if your abs are hidden by a good layer of fat you'll never see them no matter how big and strong they are. You lose fat from everywhere by being in a calorie deficit. The fat on your waist and visceral fat are the last place you'll lose fat from for a number of reasons. That's why it's called stubborn fat.

Also, don't chase the recomp (building muscle and losing fat at the same time), especially at your age. Stick to one goal at a time. People spend years chasing the recomp and end up just spinning on their wheels. Even if they make it, for the majority bulking and cutting ends up being up being more efficient. Smart bulking and cutting that is. Losing fat is faster than building muscle but whether you want to bulk or cut first is up to you. You're skinny fat: you carry a good amount of fat but don't have muscle. Either cut first to lose the gut but be skinny for a while, or bulk first to build muscle but be fat for a while.

EDIT: And on the bodybuilding article you linked: don't worry about the problems of 250-300lbs bodybuilders who have been on steroids for a decade. You're like a tent next to a skyscraper, worrying about planes hitting you.
    Last edited by Dysssfunctional; 02-17-2016 at 08:18 AM.