Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Okay. I will try to post about the novels soon as I've got a couple days off from work. For now, it's just the lower power session, which I did yesterday after work. I like lifting Sunday nights because it's not too busy at the gym, at least at 24 hour fitness it wasn't. New gym is never busy. I have until at least the 14th to use the old gym though so I'm taking advantage when I can because they have things like dry saunas, steam rooms and rowing machines. I won't do tons of memes often, though I enjoy those journals, but just for one here is one.

Lower Power

squat 3x3 @ 190 - yay, tried to increase and managed the sets
    deadlift 1x3 and 2x4 @ 210 - went well
    deadlift with straps 1x2 @ 235 - had a slip in my set up so couldn't get it a third time
    leg press 3x8 @ 235 - decided to try increase and it went fine, deadlift is catching up to leg press though, hehe
    leg curls 2x10 and 1x8 @ 80 - my last set is always a struggle by then, poor hamstrings.

Squats went well though I'm starting to wonder if the bar at the new gym is a different weight because each lift is a little more challenging at the new gym compared to the old one. And the old has a couple of different bars, but just the gnarling on them is different. But at the new gym, bench, incline bench, and even squats has been more challenging at the same weights. Might have to look into that and ask them what their bar weighs. I tend to just assume around 45 but it could be different. Would be good to know for future reference.

Skipped the hip thrusts last night because I was tired, so went in dry sauna for 15 minutes then went home. Had a newsletter that was due and I'm finishing up on it tonight. Need to write in YA novel too before bed. Going to try and get to yoga tomorrow so no sleeping in until noon but that's okay. Can do that Wednesday. ;-)

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Okay. I will try to post about the novels soon as I've got a couple days off from work. For now, it's just the lower power session, which I did yesterday after work. I like lifting Sunday nights because it's not too busy at the gym, at least at 24 hour fitness it wasn't. New gym is never busy. I have until at least the 14th to use the old gym though so I'm taking advantage when I can because they have things like dry saunas, steam rooms and rowing machines. I won't do tons of memes often, though I enjoy those journals, but just for one here is one.

Lower Power

squat 3x3 @ 190 - yay, tried to increase and managed the sets
    deadlift 1x3 and 2x4 @ 210 - went well
    deadlift with straps 1x2 @ 235 - had a slip in my set up so couldn't get it a third time
    leg press 3x8 @ 235 - decided to try increase and it went fine, deadlift is catching up to leg press though, hehe
    leg curls 2x10 and 1x8 @ 80 - my last set is always a struggle by then, poor hamstrings.

Squats went well though I'm starting to wonder if the bar at the new gym is a different weight because each lift is a little more challenging at the new gym compared to the old one. And the old has a couple of different bars, but just the gnarling on them is different. But at the new gym, bench, incline bench, and even squats has been more challenging at the same weights. Might have to look into that and ask them what their bar weighs. I tend to just assume around 45 but it could be different. Would be good to know for future reference.

Skipped the hip thrusts last night because I was tired, so went in dry sauna for 15 minutes then went home. Had a newsletter that was due and I'm finishing up on it tonight. Need to write in YA novel too before bed. Going to try and get to yoga tomorrow so no sleeping in until noon but that's okay. Can do that Wednesday. ;-)
    nice job on the lower power!
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&p=1425289591&viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi Fiction2Fitness, I remember you from the bp comp. Awesome squats and deadlifts up there!

Vid in your old gym looks like LTF due to those friggin' hex plates. Those stupid plates are demon spawn I tell you!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jsari23 View Post
    nice job on the lower power!
    Thanks. :-D

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Hi Fiction2Fitness, I remember you from the bp comp. Awesome squats and deadlifts up there!

Vid in your old gym looks like LTF due to those friggin' hex plates. Those stupid plates are demon spawn I tell you!
    Hi and thanks. The hex plates are what I'm used to so it hasn't been so bad. If it moves then it's a pain but if they set right then they were fine. The round plates at that gym are a rough and breaking down some, so I never liked to use those. New gym has just the rounded and will be doing deadlifts there in the future though so won't be dealing with the pesky hex plates anymore.

all the maths... not really

Long day even without work. I got to sleep in since when the alarm clock went off this morning, I just said nope then turned it off so could sleep more. Still made it to yoga but not at the time I had initially planned. I also went and bought foods, though coworker ended up napping so didn't make it over to have lunch at the asian grocery store. Instead I had starbucks, shopped then had a lenny and larry cookie when I got home for lunch. Went to gentle hatha yoga in the evening, then lifted weights and a little cardio. Did lifting at new gym and the rack for incline bench. Would have been fine without the math fail. Figured that I'd try to do a lower weight cause the bar there feels a bit heavier, and instead of that I did more than before. Cause I can math.

Upper Hypertrophy

incline bench 1x7, 1x5 @ 85 and 2x8 @ 75 - yeah, did not mean to try 85... ooops
    db fly 4x10 @ 25
    one db row 4x9 @ 40
    seated row 4x9 @ 90
    lat raise 4x10 @ 12.5
    bicep curl 4x9 @ curl bar + 10
    face pull 4x10 @ 60
    tricep ext 4x10 @ 80

45 minutes on elliptical, which was longer than planned but got to watch Chopped on Food Network. Yes, I will do cardio just to watch Food Network.

Post The Novels, take 2

Let's try this again. Once I have coffee and such, it's a good time to randomly talk about the novels I'm working on since I'm using this journal to keep track of both fitness and fiction. Though I need to post on my fiction and fitness blog too. *adds to the list of things to do right under nap for no reason*

Right now I'm focusing on a few novels in particular, most of which are young adult. I write a variety but my main genre focus tends to be fantasy, little science fiction, romance, young adult and a little contemporary on occasion. The ones that are in first draft form that have my attention for the early part of 2016 are both contemporary young adult stories with a friendship/romance subplot to them.

NW stands for North West. It's a dual point of view type of story, which means two main characters and the chapters vary on which one is the point of view character. One is named North and the other West, hence the title. North is on a mission to see the Northern Lights as a random dream he wants to achieve after being diagnosed with HIV, which he hasn't shared that information with anyone but his father. West jumps on the bandwagon for support, out of fear of his friend disappearing again and with a couple secrets of his own.

I started NW for NaNoWriMo 2015 but only got just over 30,000 words done back in November. However, since then I have added more to it and the novel stands at almost 49,000 at this point. 50k is a short novel and I've got at least 4-5 more chapters left, which will make the first draft a decent size. However, the rewrite will take more work on this one because it require research and maybe a trip to Canada for authenticity purposes. Road trip in 2017 maybe.

BRR stands for Boys Read Romance. The main character is a boy named Quinn who enjoys reading romance novels, in particular the historical types with victorian style dresses. His father, however, doesn't approve and wants him to act more like a boy, especially since they are getting 2 more girls (mother is pregnant with twin girls and they already have 3 other girls). While the father goes to rehab to deal with alcohol addiction, Quinn asks his best friend, Trey, to teach him to act like a normal boy. In return, he agrees to use the romance books to help Trey learn to be more romantic.

I started BRR a while ago then got distracted with NW, so it's only at about 15,000 words so far. However, it'll need less work in rewrite just from needed less research and such. I'm liking the progress and the characters. I've been working on it this month, so it should get to 20k in the near future.

I'm also working on final edits and getting ready to submit queries to agents on a sci-fi young adult series that deals with genetic mutations. The first book deals more with self identity, friendship and dealing with the struggles of being different without the romance/sexuality side so it's almost middle grade in the regard of their age. I didn't want to put in the sexual orientation until book 2. Most of my novels are gay boy main characters though, it's just what I write.

Those are the current top three. I also have an adult genetic mutation series, same world different characters, that is in edits, at least 2 other first drafts in progress and a couple awaiting rewrites. I am considering self-publish but on the adult romance/erotica side of things, which is under a different pen name. Agents are very helpful for certain genres and I'd rather not self-publish those. However, for romance/erotica, it's quite plausible to do well and is often a better route for that particular genre.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Additional ponderings: Powerlifting Meets

I'm considering competing but there are only two meets coming up in the area, assuming I stay in Oregon for the next half a year or so. One is April 16-17 and is APA. The other is APF and held on August 20th.

April is rather close to now. 2 months away, basically. Which, technically could be okay for a peak cycle based off some I've read but I'm basing off stuff I've read online. I've never done one with the intention of hitting a max. I have just done a few programs and on a couple of times chosen on my own to do a max test just to see what I could manage.

August is further away but that is the issue in that I'm also looking at maybe switching jobs and/or moving, possibly to a different state. No decision yet but looking into options. However, it's also about a week before I turn 32, so that does have appeal in competing around that time. Would have more time to prepare and more likely to have better numbers at that point as I'm working towards that 2x bw deadlift.

Couple things: I've never used a weight lifting belt. I know it's not required or anything but I did notice even the woman squatting the bar had a belt. Most also had knee sleeves or wraps but not all. I have also never had a spotter on squats, so not sure how to handle having someone right behind me during the whole lift. Don't have a coach so would be figuring out the peak and picking my lift numbers on my own. Also, would need to be mindful of the cues as that's not something I often have to worry about when lifting and don't want many red lights during competition.

If competing in April, probably should make the decision soon so I can tailor the main lifts to attempt to peak for that meet, plus would have to request the day off because I always work on the weekend. I'm really tempted to just go for it and get that first meet experience. Just not 100 percent certain quite yet. Decision will be soon.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Basic Hatha class for an hour.

Lower Hypertrophy

front squat 4x10 @ 95
    curtsy lunge 4x8 @ 90 - still a challenge
    good morning 4x10 @ 90
    sumo deadlift 3x5 @ 185 - not bad and filmed a couple sets so put a clip up on instagram.
    leg extension 3x8 @ 100

Didn't do rdl this time, giving hands a little break and focused more on the sumo squat. Going to have last couple of sessions in the big gym, then the switch over will be done. Will miss 24 hour fitness just a bit what with its sauna, staffed all of the time and plethora of equipment. No regrets in switching but will miss the place I did my first major year+ of lifting.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Yoga yesterday. I did another basic class right before work. Had the intention of doing cardio at old gym after work but forgot my gym stuff until got to my car but we'd locked up for the night so couldn't go back in to get it.

I have one last night in the old gym so will add cardio tonight. Mostly, I'm doing the cardio to try out a machine that I hadn't ever used and told myself that I would try one of these days. It's basically one of those stairmaster ones. I am not a fan of stairs, but am going to use the equipment at least once. Otherwise, I mostly run for cardio in order to be capable of running races a few times a year. Have a 10k in May that is an obstacle course, but think the distance will be the easy part.

Tonight is last upper power session. Good news is I've been a member of the new gym for almost a month so next weekend, I can do my power session at the location closer to home, which has a regular flat bench.

On lifting note: I decided to go for it and signed up for April 17th powerlifting meet. Got paid recently so had enough funds to cover it (will have to pay for the membership next but that's far easier to cover). I've only been lifting for just over 14 months, so still rather new to it all. Going to work with percentages for first time as I prepare for the meet. Things that I'm going to need to work on most are the ones I haven't dealt with before: cues and having someone spot right up near me. Not going with any super high expectations, just going to try and get some good lifts in with as few red lights as I can manage. :-)
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome on the April PL meet! Any idea what kind of numbers you'd like to hit for the big 3 lifts for it?

Couple things: I've never used a weight lifting belt. I know it's not required or anything but I did notice even the woman squatting the bar had a belt. Most also had knee sleeves or wraps but not all. I have also never had a spotter on squats, so not sure how to handle having someone right behind me during the whole lift. Don't have a coach so would be figuring out the peak and picking my lift numbers on my own. Also, would need to be mindful of the cues as that's not something I often have to worry about when lifting and don't want many red lights during competition.
    I got an Inzer belt a few yrs ago, expensive but wayyyy better than the thin Valeo belts you can get at a sporting goods store for $20. It gives me peace of mind to have that extra bit of protection. I wear it for squats/DLs but ONLY at a certain amount of wt and up, and it's more of a general safety thing for me. Gives you something to push your core against and makes you feel a lot less nekkid when you're handling a couple hundred lbs. As for knee sleeves I use the blue Rehbands and those are more of something to keep your knee joints warm IMO, not gonna make your knees immune to injury, but squats feel a lot better when you have those on the whole time.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Awesome on the April PL meet! Any idea what kind of numbers you'd like to hit for the big 3 lifts for it?

I got an Inzer belt a few yrs ago, expensive but wayyyy better than the thin Valeo belts you can get at a sporting goods store for $20. It gives me peace of mind to have that extra bit of protection. I wear it for squats/DLs but ONLY at a certain amount of wt and up, and it's more of a general safety thing for me. Gives you something to push your core against and makes you feel a lot less nekkid when you're handling a couple hundred lbs. As for knee sleeves I use the blue Rehbands and those are more of something to keep your knee joints warm IMO, not gonna make your knees immune to injury, but squats feel a lot better when you have those on the whole time.
    Thanks.

As far as numbers, I'm not quite sure on a couple of them. Thinking the first two numbers on bench will be something like 95 and maybe 115. 95 is my last warm up, so should work as a first set. I know I can hit 115 for a decent rep and should be able to still do so in 6+ weeks. Not sure on a last number. I barely got that 125 but maybe will be able to do even better going through this peak cycle. Squats I'm at 185 for my working sets, 3 to 4 reps per set depending on the day. I'm hoping to get 1.5x bodyweight but not sure on what numbers to do yet. And for deadlift, I've gotten 225 for 1 but haven't tested higher without straps.

Also, thanks on the belt and knee sleeves. I just haven't really tried any yet and squats haven't bothered my knees. They get cranky more with lunges. Will have to look into them soon so can train with the equipment that I do pick. Funny is I posted just a little thing on ******** about deciding on the meet. My grandma sent me an amazon gift card for Valentine's Day and in it she said she looked at lifting belts but decided it would be better if I picked my own, or got whatever else I fancied.

Maybe after next paycheck.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

last session at 24 Hour Fitness

Left work so late last night as manager had some struggles with the final numbers and we had to wait until it got figured out. Normally scheduled until 10:30 pm as we're often done even a little before that. Got in my car at 11:20 pm instead. Still went to the gym but skipped a little bit and only did very short bits of cardio. Last day at the big gym. Tad sad as it's a good gym. Guy at the desk said I could come in some time and told me the nights he works. He was friendly at least and joked about me getting in before midnight on the maybe deadline cause I still have no idea if the 14th was when it ended or if should have gotten the whole month since I paid all of january before I cancelled so technically it should be a month based on that schedule and not when cancelled but eh, whatevs. Also, probably last regular power as I'm switching things up a little to work on this lifting at percentages and attempting to peak for the meet.

Upper Power

bench press 3x4 @ 110 - still a struggle on the last reps
    decline bench 3x10 @ 65 - just for fun since new locations don't have a decline bench
    overhead press 3x3 @ 85 - still hard but a tiny bit better than last time
    overhead tri ext 3x10 @ 40 - dropped it down a little
    pull up attempts 3x1 - almost there. Can't get my chin over the bar yet but close.
    chin-up 1x1 - Turns out I can do one. Though my elbow isn't a fan of underhand grip.

5 minutes on stairmaster because... stairs. 15 minutes on rower. 10+ minutes in dry sauna.

I have video of a pull up attempt that I'll put up on instagram one of these days. I only had to use the short step and not the taller ones to reach the bar, lol. I am thinking of having pull ups as part of the upper body days. May actually be able to do one soon, which isn't bad since I haven't really done negatives or anything to train it except on the rare occasion.

Happy Valentine's Day and Singles' Awareness Day!.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

As far as numbers, I'm not quite sure on a couple of them. Thinking the first two numbers on bench will be something like 95 and maybe 115. 95 is my last warm up, so should work as a first set. I know I can hit 115 for a decent rep and should be able to still do so in 6+ weeks. Not sure on a last number. I barely got that 125 but maybe will be able to do even better going through this peak cycle. Squats I'm at 185 for my working sets, 3 to 4 reps per set depending on the day. I'm hoping to get 1.5x bodyweight but not sure on what numbers to do yet. And for deadlift, I've gotten 225 for 1 but haven't tested higher without straps.
    Cool, sounds like some good numbers to aim for!

Funny is I posted just a little thing on ******** about deciding on the meet. My grandma sent me an amazon gift card for Valentine's Day and in it she said she looked at lifting belts but decided it would be better if I picked my own, or got whatever else I fancied.
    Awww! That is too sweet, it warms the cockles of my heart, srs.
    Current PRs:

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Couple things: I've never used a weight lifting belt. I know it's not required or anything but I did notice even the woman squatting the bar had a belt. Most also had knee sleeves or wraps but not all. I have also never had a spotter on squats, so not sure how to handle having someone right behind me during the whole lift. Don't have a coach so would be figuring out the peak and picking my lift numbers on my own. Also, would need to be mindful of the cues as that's not something I often have to worry about when lifting and don't want many red lights during competition
    Hi there! Was scanning through the journals and saw the words "powerlifting meets", that always gets my attention

With the April meet fairly close, there is something to be said for just showing up with whatever you're used to in terms of equipment. If you are considering purchasing anything though, read through the rulebook for the federation first. The feds are all different in what they allow (for example, if you're competing raw in some feds, you can't have anything on your knees, others allow sleeves, others allow wraps). There will also be regulations as to sizes, such as max width of belt, max length of wraps, that sort of thing.

I rarely have spotters when I'm at the gym, and weirdly they've never bothered me at meets. The back spotter is your friend, he should stay out of your way completely unless you get in trouble, then he'll be there to help you rack it.

And suggestions I'd make to anyone going into their first meet... definitely look up the cues for the fed and practice them. Make sure you're squatting deep enough. Make sure you can pause your bench at the chest. Pick first attempts that you can do even in the absolute worst case scenario, like even if you're really sick that day and the roof just caved in. Oh yes, and have fun

Had an overall interesting day yesterday with Valentine's Day and such. Had an excuse to wear fake eyelashes as I had a set with little red bows on them. Also put on fake nails, which makes it harder to type and use my phone but didn't affect lifting at all. Decided to try and test again on squat before switching to this peak cycle. Filmed too, which made for a very long session in the gym with rest and all the stuff involved. Getting the numbers together to start training in attempt to peak for the meet.

Lower Power -ish

high bar squat - 1x3 @ 165, 1x1 @ 185, 1x1 @ 195, fail @ 205, 1x1 barely @ 200. The last attempt is still a new PR for me. It was also the slowest, grind of a rep that I've ever had in squats. Barely made it up.

deadlift 3x3 @ 215 - heavy but managed

leg press 3x8 @ 180 - just did 2 45's on each side. I tried pushing the base up with my hands to test the weight and the one at new gym is definitely heavier than 15.

cable kick backs 3x8 @ 30 per leg - just for fun

So far basing my numbers off a 3 rep range. Bench would be 110, then 190 for squats and 215 for deadlift. This gives me an estimated 1 rep max to aim for of around 122 (probably go for 125), 211 (round down to 210 on that one) and 238 (240 maybe) as numbers I'd be working towards.

This will be interesting. :-)
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Cool, sounds like some good numbers to aim for!

Awww! That is too sweet, it warms the cockles of my heart, srs.
    Thanks. My grandparents have always been supportive, taught me how to play baseball and softball as a kid and such. I was their first grandchild, which grandma now likes to mention at least once per visit along with telling the same childhood story about how I don't like coconut cause I said coconut cream pie was the yuckiest thing I'd ever tasted when I tried it as a kid.

Originally Posted by itsagoodday View Post
    Hi there! Was scanning through the journals and saw the words "powerlifting meets", that always gets my attention

With the April meet fairly close, there is something to be said for just showing up with whatever you're used to in terms of equipment. If you are considering purchasing anything though, read through the rulebook for the federation first. The feds are all different in what they allow (for example, if you're competing raw in some feds, you can't have anything on your knees, others allow sleeves, others allow wraps). There will also be regulations as to sizes, such as max width of belt, max length of wraps, that sort of thing.

I rarely have spotters when I'm at the gym, and weirdly they've never bothered me at meets. The back spotter is your friend, he should stay out of your way completely unless you get in trouble, then he'll be there to help you rack it.

And suggestions I'd make to anyone going into their first meet... definitely look up the cues for the fed and practice them. Make sure you're squatting deep enough. Make sure you can pause your bench at the chest. Pick first attempts that you can do even in the absolute worst case scenario, like even if you're really sick that day and the roof just caved in. Oh yes, and have fun
    Thanks for the tips. Looking at the rules and everything for sure. I went to the winter competition in January to see what it was like. Didn't see the deadlift, unfortunately, due to working that afternoon but still got to see some of what squat and bench was like. Planning on good openers I can definitely hit for sure. Aside from all of the advice, saw one miss their opener at the meet and can see how that can mess with you a little especially as your very first lift of the day. I do know APA does allow the belts and such, just have specific requirements. I'm thinking of talking to someone who works in the local nutrition store that sponsors the meets and getting some in person advice on the belt and such. Think I'll hold off on wraps for now, though certain lengths are allowed, and look into those more in the future as I continue lifting. Knees get cranky but more with lunges and stairs than with squats. Thanks again for the comments in my journal.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Lifted weights earlier today. Makeshift first start of the Peak Cycle attempt as I need to get a notebook and figure out the exact lifts and days since I have just under 9 weeks. Tuesday is OHP and shoulder focused. Saturday is going to be bench press. Wednesday is squats (though will include sumo deadlift) while Sunday is deadlift with low bar squat warm up. I did ask at the gym about the bar in the rack and it is confirmed as 45, as is the leg press. Good to know. Tomorrow will be more precise on main lift as I have an excel that I put numbers in with a 9 week set up. Looking forward to the sessions. Still working out on the overall stuff in my notebook but for now have a rough start to...

The Story of My First Peak

Chapter 1: Shoulders

Band pulls for warm up, between 45 (bar) warm up in OHP for 2 sets and one set at 55, then just another warm up ohp at 55 but no band pulls
    OHP 3x8 @ 65 - more reps than I'm used to, need to figure out the numbers for this lift for the next few weeks ahead of time.
    Pull up attempts bodyweight 3x1 and by one I mean almost not a full one as I can't get my chin over the bar yet. chin ups 1x2 as I couldn't get in a third rep
    Tricep extension 3x12 @ 70 - between pull up attempts
    Seated row 3x10 @ 80

30 minute run on treadmill while watching Food Network.

Had a me day since I am single and worked Sunday. I got dressed nice and wore the heels I bought for stepsister's wedding. Went to French bakery place and got food. I ended up there at happy hour, which worked well. Got a kobe slider, parmesan fries, sipping chocolate with fruit, marshmallows made there and a little brie. I purchased 2 little chocolates, 2 macaroons, a pineapple brioche and a croissant to eat over the next week. mmm Then I went to the mall since I had a giftcard for Victoria's Secret to use. Also got some high waisted black pants for work from H&M. Tried on a couple of things at VS. One was a shirt that said "no flex zone" that I tried on just to take a picture of myself flexing in it, hehe. Also, tried on swim suit top and two bottoms. Bikini, which is still tough for me with my extra body weight being in my stomach and the excess skin but I'm trying to get the courage to one day get a suit. Hopefully for this summer but we'll see.

Tomorrow is squat day and laundry time. Also getting onto a slightly lower calorie range for the next 6 weeks since I'm in a 12 week challenge and haven't really lost weight lately. Going to get more on track, plan and get 1400-1500 calories most days. Veggies, protein and the occasional dairy day. mmm food
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Chapter 1: Squats

First: basic hatha yoga.

It went okay though ended up a bit lopsided in when I could hold the poses long enough. Right foot had issues with the toes cramping. I have that issue sometimes when I'm on my knees on the ground sitting and try to have tops of feet flat against the ground as my foot and/or toes will cramp. Am signed up for a workshop since I happened to have Saturday off, which is rare. Will get to learn about everything instead of just trying to follow along. Should help at least a little, though not sure if I could afford yoga depending on how the prices work.

Then came lifting at the gym and there was more people there this time. Shared the power cage, so I used it for squats first, then let him use it for squats while I did my other stuff elsewhere. Guy was nice and let me have it back for sumo deadlifts while he did OHP with dumbbells.

Though had a meme worthy moment:

Yep, at the end I was curious about his routine so asked. He is lifting 6 times a week focused more on the compounds but high volume and he said he was trying to get in 1500 calories to drop some weight fast. Not that he had much, just trying to get a more shredded look I guess. He wasn't tall, though still taller than me. Interesting having someone else lifting and using the cage at least and he was nice about things.

Anyways, onto the lifting!

warm up sets 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95 and 1x6 @ 115
    squat 4x5 @ 140
    overload @ 210 - first time trying this. One set at 15 seconds of standing at the ready position with safeties nice and high, just in case.
    pause squats 2x6 @ 80 - holy pause squats batman, that was a challenge. Did counts to 8 per rep and it was hard figuring out the breathing during

good morning 4x12 @ 60 - used fixed weight so much lighter since had to clean is from the floor.
    hanging abs 3x8 bodyweight between good morning sets

leg extension 3x10 @ 100 - was waiting for power cage

sumo deadlift 1x5 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 175

Interesting session with the squats. Had never done the overload before, but get the general idea of getting used to the feel of the heavy weight. They are going to go over my goal by a fair amount so that should be fun. The sites I saw recommended spotters but I don't lift with people so high safety bars are definitely going to be in place. Pause sets were different as well since didn't know how long to stay at bottom position for or if I needed to hold breath the whole time cause that was a bit hard to do. Might need to look into that more.

Am loosely following a quick peak cycle with a few adjustments and such. I'm doing a couple of new things but not all of the ones recommended. Looking forward to bench press on Saturday. Think I'll lift before the yoga workshop instead of after.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tried on a couple of things at VS. One was a shirt that said "no flex zone" that I tried on just to take a picture of myself flexing in it, hehe.
    LOL, I like the way you think

Have you tried yoga out before? I've always wondered if that would be a good or bad thing for me to do. I've got a trick hip, so I figure either it would be great for my overall flexibility and mobility, or it would pop my hip out completely and send it bouncing off the opposite wall. I've never been brave enough to try.

warm up sets 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95 and 1x6 @ 115
    squat 4x5 @ 140
    overload @ 210 - first time trying this. One set at 15 seconds of standing at the ready position with safeties nice and high, just in case.
    pause squats 2x6 @ 80 - holy pause squats batman, that was a challenge. Did counts to 8 per rep and it was hard figuring out the breathing during
    Walkouts! Now why did I forget about those? Thanks for the reminder, haven't done them in forever and it might be a good thing for me to add in right now. And pause squats, oh man 8 is a long long pause, that would be the end of me

Awesome squats OP! Wow, counting to 8 is a lonnnnng pause on the squats, nice work!
    Current PRs:

LOL, I like the way you think

Have you tried yoga out before? I've always wondered if that would be a good or bad thing for me to do. I've got a trick hip, so I figure either it would be great for my overall flexibility and mobility, or it would pop my hip out completely and send it bouncing off the opposite wall. I've never been brave enough to try.

Walkouts! Now why did I forget about those? Thanks for the reminder, haven't done them in forever and it might be a good thing for me to add in right now. And pause squats, oh man 8 is a long long pause, that would be the end of me

This month is my first attempt at yoga classes. i'd only tried yoga once before but it was trying to follow a tv show and that didn't work well. The classes have been interesting though I'm definitely not very flexible. Strength helps me in some but in others my stomach and not great mobility get in the way. I'm going to a workshop Saturday, so will get to learn more about it overall. i wouldn't mind doing yoga sometimes in hopes of getting better mobility but the price will have a big factor on if I go after the month trial ends.

The walkouts are different and we'll see how the heavier ones go.

Awesome squats OP! Wow, counting to 8 is a lonnnnng pause on the squats, nice work!
    Thanks.

I didn't research ahead of time so wasn't sure how long to pause. Might want to look into that before next time as the weight is going to get a little heavier over the next few weeks.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Yoga and Cardio day.

Hour long Basic Hatha class that I went to before work. We did some standing stuff, lunges and even some abs (bicycle things and planks). Not bad but still some things I struggle to do, mostly sitting and trying to reach forward.

After work was just 30 minute run on the treadmill while watching Food Network.

Tomorrow is Bench Day and yoga workshop. Should be fun.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

All kinds of fun today, on my rare Saturday off from work. Today went fine and my key thing now works at any Anytime location, so went to the one near home as it has a regular bench. Might need to bring my own resistance band for a warm up thing next time though. Peak program sheet I found recommends board press after bench but don't have that equipment available, nor the shoulder horn. This location also doesn't have a pull up bar that I can reach, even using the step they do have available and the assisted machine doesn't have a moveable padding thing, so instead I used the smith machine for my pull up attempts as I'm short enough that I just need to hang down a little first so don't have an extra help in the beginning.

Chapter 1: Bench

warm up on elliptical for 10 minutes

Bench 2x10 @ 45, 2x8 @ 75 and 4x5 @ 90 - decent working set.

pull up 3x1 almost and chin up 1x2
    db bench 3x10 @ 30

one db row 3x10 @ 40
    db fly 3x8 @ 25

face pull 3x10 @ 60
    cable bicep curl 3x10 @ 50

Then went to a 2 hour introduction to yoga workshop. A fair amount of sitting as she discussed varying aspects of yoga along with some working on poses.

Novels: I finally finished chapter 7 in BRR. Time to start chapter 18 in North West. Reading over chapter 17 in preparation to get that one back into play.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Long days for me. I ended up sleeping in yesterday only to get up to a text message asking if I could go in early, which meant grab everything and go. Ended up with a 10 hour shift in total. Then, our cashier called in for this morning. While one agreed to come in earlier than scheduled, it would have been just her and one manager for a couple of hours. So, I went in on my day off, today, which ended up being just under 3 hours total. Not bad, though I'm used to close shifts and not being there at 8 am. Next day off is Tuesday, not tomorrow but the next one.

I did, however, still go lift weights last night. I was going to run today but it was foggy and cold, plus I was tired and instead took a nap. Last night was deadlifts, so fun fun. No one ever comes in late and it was Sunday so decided to have hip thrusts on this day of my peak cycle. Right as I was getting set up... someone came in to lift. Awkward. Nice guy though as I've seen him before. He introduced himself later but I forgot his name pretty much right away. I'm not good with names. I'll probably see him again one of these weeks. Either way, on to the lifting...

Chapter 1: Deadlifts

band pull apart warm up 3x8
    low bar squats 2x8 @ 45, 2x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 115, 3x5 @ 35

Deadlift 1x5 @ 135 rdl, 1x5 160, 4x5 @ 170

hip thrust 3x10 @ 115 - oww, need a pad for that bar cause hit a spot on my hip that just hurt

leg press 3x8 @ 225

pallof press 2x8 @ 20 - tried to see what it was like

Just under 8 weeks now until the meet. Coming soon I'm going to be looking at belts and the singlet I'll have to wear. Have someone I might go ask for some tips on both, so hopefully she won't mind.

Now to get to work on chapter 18 of NW. I got 500+ words so far so having fun with them being in a drag bar. hehe
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    so super sweet about the gift card from grandma!

How exciting about signing up for the meet!
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&p=1425289591&viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.

Just under 8 weeks now until the meet. Coming soon I'm going to be looking at belts and the singlet I'll have to wear.
    Ugh for the long days Great work in the gym! My advice for a singlet is to NOT get an Inzer, they seem to be particularly unflattering on women. I'll wear mine the next time I want to look like a sack of potatoes that got run over, thrown off a cliff, set on fire and trampled by a herd of elephants. I mean, other than that, it doesn't look too bad.

Originally Posted by jsari23 View Post
    so super sweet about the gift card from grandma!

How exciting about signing up for the meet!
    :-) It is quite exciting. People at work don't know much about lifting but are supportive and the others in the groups on myfitnesspal are cheering me on too.

Ugh for the long days Great work in the gym! My advice for a singlet is to NOT get an Inzer, they seem to be particularly unflattering on women. I'll wear mine the next time I want to look like a sack of potatoes that got run over, thrown off a cliff, set on fire and trampled by a herd of elephants. I mean, other than that, it doesn't look too bad.
    Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about an Inzer belt (though really have no idea and need to look around, in person to see what will work for me) but didn't even know they did singlets. Will hope the local store has something better for that then. Nice way to describe the look as that is quite the visual.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Chapter 2: OHP and Squats

Tad behind as things have been busy. Sunday I worked 10 hours instead of 8, then due to a call-in, I worked just under 3 hours Monday morning, which was supposed to be my day off. Follow that by Tuesday close cashier at 8 hours but not taking a lunch, just a few smaller on the clock breaks and yesterday did another 10 hour but cashier instead of my usual department.

Still did my lifting but think I won't do squats after work on 10 hour days. Weights felt heavier last night than usual and hip was a bit cranky. The day before I did the lifting before work and cardio for 30 minutes after work. Was going to request the gym get an item but the guy during day was busy on the phone most of the time so didn't get a chance to ask about getting a pad for the barbell. Hip thrusts are gonna hurt Sunday, but oh well. Next time I get in a day lift I will make the request. The only downside to not lifting at night after work is that there are a few people around. Still, near the end in particular, will want to get done before spending 8 hours or so on my feet.

First up is Tuesday, with upper body and OHP focus.

Chapter 2: OHP

band pulls for warm-up, 3x10

OHP 2x8 @ 45, 1x6 @ 55, 4x5 @ 65 - Figured out the numbers to work on so it's following more along what I have set for bench and such. Just doing similar weights but few more sets than the reverse grip that was recommended for auxillary bench day.

Pull-ups 3x1 where first one I got chin above bar, Chin-ups 1x2
    Seated row 3x10 @ 80

tricep pushdown with rope 3x12 @ 70
    ab chair thing bw 3x8
    pallof press 30 3x10 on each side

30 minute run on treadmill after work while watching Food Network.

Chapter 2: Squats

squat warm ups 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 115

Squats 2x6 @ 140, 2x5 @ 150

Overload (walk out) 1x15 count @ 210 - weight goes up from now on for these

Pause Squats 1x6 @ 90 and 1x5 @ 100 - still counting roughly to 8 though trying to figure out breathing too

good morning 3x12 @ 85
    cable rope crunch attempts 3x12 @ 50

Sumo deadlift 135 1x5 and 175 3x5

Scale has been a nuisance but coworker commented that my waist has gotten smaller lately. Measurement change in last month was only .5 inch but that was from waist, as no where else had a change. She thinks more is gone. Couple of customers commented on me getting smaller too. The scale is going back in the right direction, just slowly. Not really trying to lose for the meet, though 132 group would be better than 148, but I'm still working on getting down closer to a healthier weight for my height. Scale this morning had just below 135, as it'd gone up after reaching 134 and then hovered around 136 for a bit. If I can keep from snacking too much, things should continue in the right direction. Must limit the number of Lenny Larry cookies I keep in the apartment.

Not much on the writing the past couple of days. I did get some stuff done on the computer Monday but nothing really since. I have 2 newsletters due this weekend and want to make progress on novel and a story that is due by the 29th. Next day off from work isn't until Tuesday, so get to do all of this and work every day. Fun times.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

:-) It is quite exciting. People at work don't know much about lifting but are supportive and the others in the groups on myfitnesspal are cheering me on too.
    That's really awesome

I was wondering about an Inzer belt (though really have no idea and need to look around, in person to see what will work for me) but didn't even know they did singlets.
    Inzer belts are amazing, they are really great quality. I have the 10mm lever belt and no regrets at all. Just not a fan of the singlets

Great job on your workouts! Congrats on the pull-ups, those are such tricky beasts!

That's really awesome

Inzer belts are amazing, they are really great quality. I have the 10mm lever belt and no regrets at all. Just not a fan of the singlets

Great job on your workouts! Congrats on the pull-ups, those are such tricky beasts!
    Thanks. :-)
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador