happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Happydude in 2016: Bigger & Better

Howdy folks!

After spending a couple months lurking and gorging myself on holiday baking, I figured it was about time to start a new log for my 2016 goals.

For a quick recap, 2015 marked my first year getting back into serious training after a multi-year hiatus, which culminated in my first bodybuilding competition in early November. The contest itself was EXTREMELY fun and I have nothing but great things to say about the day, my fellow competitors and the association. That said, the long prep period and week or two post-contest had me very much questioning whether going through all that again was feasibly in the cards.

As my diet and training intensity have increased over the last couple months I've decided that very likely I want to compete again, though if anything this past contest emphasized for me the need to add some additional mass. Tipping the scales at an earth-shattering stage weight of 121 lbs I could afford to add some size to better compete in both the lightweight class (<155 lbs), as well as the Pro class.

There was something a little amusing and ridiculous about going up against guys a foot taller and 90 lbs heavier than me in November. I'll have to find some of the comparison shots where it's REALLY evident.

Currently, I'm into the first of several months bulking and the added calories and heavy lifting feel fantastic. Heavy deads, squats and pressing movements feel very energizing these days and I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment from how strong I feel. Indeed, the weights I'm putting up now are the highest I ever have and it's fun breaking new ground.

Ever the competitive couple, my wife is also tossing her hat in the ring albeit in powerlifting, having decided to enter her first competition this coming March. I am excited to see the numbers she puts up this Sunday in a mock contest we have set up to test her one-rep lifts.

I don't think this log will be particularly detailed in terms every training session I do and meal I eat, though more of a running monologue as I board the gain train on this journey to late 2016 competition.
    You may not be where you want to be, but a lot of people would love to be where you are. Keep pushing.

*** Follow me on Instagram - @happydude00 ***

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bout time
    advertising not permitted

TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IN. read through your contest prep log a few weeks ago. some inspiring stuff, man
    Documentation of the full year of training prior to my first bodybuilding contest: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167779831

Current training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171615023

"Training is the actual stimulus while nutrition is only permissive to muscle growth."-Eric Helms

Bodybuild like no one is watching

happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) happydude101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've had a nagging cold for the last couple weeks, which has been an almighty pain in the ass. In the first week, I tried a minor deload (i.e. one less set for each exercise and 80% working weight) though it seems not to have helped much and I've gone back to full-on training as symptoms are isolated to above-the-neck.

The mind-muscle connection I had last time I bulked (almost a year ago!) was pretty weak, to say the least, and the combination of lifting heavy with high intensity and a much improved feeling for muscle isolation is very satisfying and has me looking forward to each session.

I surprised myself last session when I substituted rack deads for sumo pulls from the floor (rack in use) and was able to get 3 x 6 at 315. Not amazing by any means, though I'd set myself the goal of pulling a 1RM of three plates by my birthday (early April), so this tells me I need to get a little more ambitious. Four plates, here I come!

Spent Saturday scoping out a powerlifting meet with my wife to get a sense of how they run, in preparation for her first competition this coming March. Sunday saw us do a 1RM test for her three lifts after a 10-week Cube run. Super proud of the numbers she put up and excited for her to bring it in competition.

Currently, my training schedule looks like:

Monday: Push (Heavy chest focus w/ light shoulders and triceps)
    Tuesday: Pull for Thickness (Back & biceps)
    Wednesday: Legs (Heavy quad focus w/ light hamstring and calf work)
    Thursday: Push (Heavy shoulder focus w/ light chest and triceps)
    Friday: Pull for Width (Back & biceps)
    Saturday: Legs (Heavy hamstring focus w/ light quad and calf work)
    Sunday: Rest
    You may not be where you want to be, but a lot of people would love to be where you are. Keep pushing.

IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Glad to see you back here!
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166196451

Thought I'd post up a few pictures from my show in November. These are from the Pro competition later in the night, after I'd already been at the venue for about 14 hours. All the guys were really nice and great competitors, though I let them know I had an advantage as they helped shield me from the hot stage lights. lol

Really hard to tell which is me, the little 5'3 lightweight-class bodybuilder, isn't it?

Registered User BB-archeologist's Avatar
    BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are definitely the best conditioned. Nice work!
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

"Flannel is more than a material, it's a lifestyle."

TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That side chest looks too good
    Documentation of the full year of training prior to my first bodybuilding contest: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167779831

"Training is the actual stimulus while nutrition is only permissive to muscle growth."-Eric Helms

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely looked good up on stage man!

In for update!

fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitmaloriek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great looks! You are the best conditioned on that stage in my opinion as well! Looking forward to seeing that progress for 2016 competition!!

Thought I'd post an update as I haven't been around for a couple months. I always say it'll be "quick" or "short" but it never is.

Yikes, where to start!

Life has been busy, busy, busy. In mid-January I started a new job (at a place I used to work), which has kept my schedule full, not least of which from doing some travelling to meet and work with clients. My wife and I also finally found a house in early February that met all our criteria (after about six months of looking) and ended up making an offer, closing the deal and moving in a little less than two weeks. We then spent the first week doing things like pulling up carpet in the fully finished basement to make way for our home gym and picking up a new rack that'd fit with the low ceilings. On top of that, the last few weeks have been dominated with putting down new flooring and other upgrades in my old house to get it ready for sale.

Thankfully, things have slowed down of late, just in time for my wife to do her first powerlifting meet this coming weekend. She'll be competing in the 67.5 kg class and has been putting up some good numbers relative to past results of people in her weight class in the same federation. I'm pretty excited to see her compete and will try to grab some pics/videos of her dominating the competition.

From a training/diet perspective, I feel fantastic! My intake has consistently been around 2500 calories for the last couple months and weight has increased up into the 144 lb range, where I'm hitting something of a plateau. I may still bump it up slightly to try and maximize muscle gains, though want to be careful that I'm not just layering on the fat under the illusion of lean mass. The problem I have, and will continue to run into is the body dysmorphic view of never being big enough and I have to constantly remind myself that it takes time, consistency and patience to see the results I'm looking for.

My training has been a combination of heavy lifts (e.g. DB pressing, deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, weighted pull-ups) at low reps, with additional work in the 8-12 rep range and some FST-7 work thrown in to bring that little extra bit of pain. I feel strong and the mind-muscle connection (cliche, I know) I was able to really develop during my last contest prep is a huge asset now that I'm taking in calories with the purpose of growth, rather than simply maintaining existing muscle while losing fat.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like the Michelin Man when I look in the mirror, though training with both energy and strength to spare feels amazing. That said, compared to the start of last year's prep (~140 lbs), I already see increased size/definition in my legs, as well as retained definition in my shoulders and overall better chest development. Feedback I received from the judges last November indicated that chest and lower lats were the two areas they'd like to see improvement, so both of those are getting hammered twice a week lately.

I'm tentatively aiming for a contest in October/November, though have to be satisfied with the progress I've made over the last year in order to make it worthwhile. Effectively, I want to go into a show and have people say, "damn, he must have been working his ass off," rather than, "meh, he doesn't look any different." In that sense, I'm going to be brutally honesty with myself to ensure that the next time I step on stage I have a legitimate shot at winning the pro class and snagging an IFPA Pro Card. If that means even waiting until 2017, so be it.

Speaking of Pro Cards, I finally received it in the mail and opening that package was a damn good feeling. Hurray for clean pee!

IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000) IK9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Grats on the house brah.. glad everything is good with you!!

Definitely happy for you man! Its good seeing things really moving along nicely!

Howdy folks,

Figured it was about time for a quick update.

From both a diet and training perspective, things are going really well. I'm now up to 2740 daily calories, from 2540, with almost the entirety of that being additional protein. The bulk prior to my previous November show saw me top out at 140.8 lbs bodyweight, though that was only a single day, with the average over the peak week(s) being in the range of 137 - 138 lbs. At present, my peak is about 147.5 with a rough average around 144 lbs or so and I am getting pretty close to where I think I'll do at least a mini-cut to see what progress I've made. That said, I already see a little added mass in some areas, while maintaining better leanness than my previous bulk, so overall I'm happy!

Training has also felt great and I'm still enjoying the heavier lifts. At the start of the year I had told myself I wanted to deadlift four plates by my birthday. Since last Saturday was the official mark of "another year gone" I figured I'd do a one rep test and see how it went. It's not a lot of weight for most people, though sitting at 144 lbs bodyweight I was very pleased to hit it and do so relatively smoothly. Sure did make the rest of my training session bloody tough, though! Ultimate goal is to hit 435 lbs (three times bodyweight) before I start on a cut.

Yes, I fidget around a lot before a heavy lift.

Deadlifts (one rep test)
    10 x bar
    5 x 135
    5 x 225
    5 x 275
    3 x 315
    1 x 345
    1 x 365
    1 x 385
    1 x 405
    6 x 315
    10 x 225

Heavy Leg Press (legs wide w/ feet pointed out, 60 sec. RI)
    3 sets of 12 reps
    4 drop sets at 16, 20, 30, 30 reps

Good Mornings (90 sec. RI)
    4 sets of 10 reps
    2 drops of 12, 15 reps

Leg Curls (60 sec. RI)
    4 sets of 12 reps
    2 drops of 8, 14 reps
    Static hold at peak contraction for as long as possible

Glute Bridges (with two mod. resistance bands; 60 sec. RI)
    4 sets of 12

Smith Machine Heavy Calf Raise (90 sec. RI)
    4 sets of 8
    1 AMRAP drop set

Seated Calf Raise (60 sec. RI)
    4 sets of 20
    Static hold at peak contraction for as long as possible

WELCOME BACK!

Solid PR brother!

Fckin strong brah!

Poking around and figured I'd post a quick hello.

Work and life have kept me busy the last several months, though having a decent home gym has allowed me to keep training relatively consistent. I've also had the confidence to deviate from some of those things accepted as conventional wisdom or must-do's and thrown myself into alternative exercises and training ideas with a small degree of NaturalPursuit-style intensity.

Bulked up to a peak of around 145 lbs and have been cutting down recently, sitting around the 141 lbs mark. Despite earlier posts, I've had relatively little interest in competing again, content to lift and see the results in the mirror. That is until I went and volunteered at a recent bodybuilding show, at which point that fire of competition lit itself in my belly. We'll see if I actually go for it, though for now I'm content to cut down and see what gains, if any, I've made over the last 4 - 5 months.

Hope everyone is well!

Less than a year offseason? You already did well at your last show.. Why not take an extended offseason to bring a whole new better package?

I can see ifbb pros competing all the time cuz of money but yeah

Glad to have you back updating!

Originally Posted by IK9 View Post
    Less than a year offseason? You already did well at your last show.. Why not take an extended offseason to bring a whole new better package?

I can see ifbb pros competing all the time cuz of money but yeah

Glad to have you back updating!
    seconding this! Especially if life and work are busy busy busy.

Please share the exercises/training ideas! love hearing about unconventional methods