KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) KoyKoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need help getting a barbell j-hook attachment to smith machine

HI guys and gals so hear me out on an idea I have. I own a Nautilus smith machine NT-CC1 (http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/eq...Machine-NT-CC1) I it was great for assisted squats and bench presses for a while but I recently obtained a barbell and would like to use start lifting free weights. I don't have the room or funds for a power rack so I thought maybe you guys could help me find a J-hook barbell attachment that could be modified to anchor to the two from post's of the smith machine. like these (http://www.amazon.com/Barbells4me-HD...F1AAS0NB4W3HZ5
    . I've tried looking online but my pre drilled holes are on on the side as opposed to front like conventional cages. anyone know where I could have hooks made or bought that might work with my setup? I'm realize the smith machine was not made to accommodate this setup and i'm not trying to load a massive load onto them but it would make it a whole lot easier to have the barbell propped shoulder height so I can load plates and rack my barbell when I'm done with my set's. I have included pics of the machine and dimensions for reference. thanks !
    Make each day an improvement over the last.

THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) THErunCMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you sell your smith you'll have room for a power rack - just sayin.
    "Yea, though I farmer's walk through the valley of the shadow of deadlift, I will fear no repetition: for the power rack art with me; thy plate and thy barbell they comfort me."

()---() York Barbell Club #48 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #40 []---[]
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #6 [M]===[6]
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #64 ▪█──────█▪

johnnyafokus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also have the same problem, any help is appreciated!

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KoyKoy View Post
    HI guys and gals so hear me out on an idea I have. I own a Nautilus smith machine NT-CC1 (http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/eq...Machine-NT-CC1) I it was great for assisted squats and bench presses for a while but I recently obtained a barbell and would like to use start lifting free weights. I don't have the room or funds for a power rack so I thought maybe you guys could help me find a J-hook barbell attachment that could be modified to anchor to the two from post's of the smith machine. like these (http://www.amazon.com/Barbells4me-HD...F1AAS0NB4W3HZ5
    . I've tried looking online but my pre drilled holes are on on the side as opposed to front like conventional cages. anyone know where I could have hooks made or bought that might work with my setup? I'm realize the smith machine was not made to accommodate this setup and i'm not trying to load a massive load onto them but it would make it a whole lot easier to have the barbell propped shoulder height so I can load plates and rack my barbell when I'm done with my set's. I have included pics of the machine and dimensions for reference. thanks !
    I know nothing about your Smith machine, I'm not saying that it's not possible to fabricate J cups/safeties to fit your Smith, but if you really want to progress I'd suggest you sell the Smith and replace it with a decent quality Power Rack.
    If you are set on adapting your Smith machine, there are many guys here on the forum who are more qualified than me to give an opinion, but I'd recommend that any work to fabricate/modify any equipment should be designed and carried out
    by someone experienced in fabricating gym equipment. For me having owned a Smith in the past, I'd get a rack.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That is a nice machine. Maybe consider squat stands. Not ideal, but they work. Amazon, 69 bucks.
    Attached Images

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by johnnyafokus View Post
    I also have the same problem, any help is appreciated!
    Johnny, do you have the NT-CC1? If so, it would be easy to drill a few sets of holes in the face of uprights where you need them for squat and bench. No need to drill 30 per upright. A step drill would probably be best.

You will need to measure the tubing. Is it 2" x 2" or 3" x 3"? Then buy a pair of appropriate J-hooks. I would suggest spotter arms too, but beware that's more holes to drill.
    Doesn't the cable run down the face of the uprights? If so, that's another concern.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    Johnny, do you have the NT-CC1? If so, it would be easy to drill a few sets of holes in the face of uprights where you need them for squat and bench. No need to drill 30 per upright. A step drill would probably be best.

You will need to measure the tubing. Is it 2" x 2" or 3" x 3"? Then buy a pair of appropriate J-hooks. I would suggest spotter arms too, but beware that's more holes to drill.
    Doesn't the cable run down the face of the uprights? If so, that's another concern.
    Clive, did you look at the pic of the machine? I think anything you do the upright would ruin the functional trainer. It looks like a pretty nice machine to be ruining it like that. I know smith machines are not thought of very highly here, but I would love to have a smith inside my FT.

Mochaloca666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question J HOOK adapter for smith machine

Hi. Did you find a solution? I'm in the same situation