Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Registered User ometecuhtli2001's Avatar
    ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ometecuhtli2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've noticed spinlock DBs are usually pretty cheap. It seems like those would take longer to add/remove weight than something that uses a spring collar. Would that be accurate?

I've got a pair of Gold's Gym freebies that work with my plates but they're just wide enough where the spring collars I've got won't fit. So I'm in the market, and spinlock keeps popping up at the top of my searches.

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by asr10user View Post
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Ke8OZvM

Looking to build my home setup and saw these locally for $50. This is my first purchase, after having a gym membership for 11 years. Picked them up today and they have 75 lbs total in weight. So I'm guessing 40 lbs per side with everything. I did some research and it looks like these Hoists are basically the old style iron master quick change style dumbbells. 40lbs per side is probably good enough for now and if I really need to I can load up one side with more. But any idea how I can add more weight to these? I don't think the new iron master plates will fit.
    the screws arent the same

but if you found these as the ironmaster version youd be able to use the 120 and 165 screw. they fit. i made a 120lb kit of the old style with 2 handles.

i guess hoist had to use a different thread size vs the ironmaster. pretty cool tho ironmaster uses the same thread for the screw as their old version to the new version.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

potatoes2farm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this is why bodyweight training is so accessible. craigslist is super good for this very reason however.

i was able to get a 40lb weight vest from someone for only $40. but there are so many bodyweight variations to be done that are comparable to barbell exercises

Keithcbellard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you so much Domicron. This post is really helpful. Please post more like this.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Keithcbellard View Post
    Thank you so much Domicron. This post is really helpful. Please post more like this.
    I think the list is getting a little dated as there are good options for what i listed. I think the better part of this thread is the discussion of cheap items and brands.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Vodzilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    I think the list is getting a little dated as there are good options for what i listed. I think the better part of this thread is the discussion of cheap items and brands.
    Time to update the list? Perhaps a revised list? Thanks.

uncleroid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice post, would be very helpful to someone on a tight budget.

Hello all. Is $150 for a used PPR200x a good deal? Thanks.

Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50) Restomod will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vodzilla View Post
    Just depends on your goal I guess. Do you want to to build on it/expand or just use as is? I think the 220x was available a while back on Amazon for $200, and it was a good option at that price. $150 is ok (would try to get it for less) provided it's in good shape, but you might be limited with accessories if you want to add to it.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    if your budget is very tight then it seems fair as long as you make sure the thing is sturdy. check the safeties and the racking pins to make sure they're not bent, i'd want to see it bolted together and make sure there's no damage or anything like that. if that's the case, then you're good to go.

if you're buying used and can stretch your budget though, i'd recommend buying something heavier duty.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I bought 1 used for next to nothing; it was good to start out on. Negatives: Hole spacing is pretty big. it's pretty light & doesn't bolt down, so if you find it's scooting on you when re-racking, you can hold it down with sandbags or similar. the paint chips pretty easy. it's a little narrow side-to-side.

Positives: It keeps you safe, & it's inexpensive. It's perfectly fine to try out working out at home for low $, to see if it's for you.

Thanks guys. I found several local used around that price range, I'll check if they're willing to lower their price. Also, I just secured a deal for a used Powerblock Sports Bench. El Cheapo setup soon for me hopefully. 😀

jprindle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is the Valor BD-7 from Amazon garbage? It seems to have good reviews, but I did not see it mentioned here (I have to admit I did skip a few pages in the earlier part of this thread). Right now, I have a Bowflex Ultimate for my home workout, but I am maxed out now on the bench press and squat, so I am looking to get my first free weight setup, and the lat pull down is a huge plus for me.

Originally Posted by jprindle View Post
    Is the Valor BD-7 from Amazon garbage? It seems to have good reviews, but I did not see it mentioned here (I have to admit I did skip a few pages in the earlier part of this thread). Right now, I have a Bowflex Ultimate for my home workout, but I am maxed out now on the bench press and squat, so I am looking to get my first free weight setup, and the lat pull down is a huge plus for me.
    I haven't been impressed by any of the valor stuff i've seen. it can't be any better than the ppr200x.

just to keep in mind that the lat pull can make it cramped inside the cage, especially for benching.

If space isn't an issue, i definitely recommend going for a standalone cage and just using your bowflex for doing things you'd want the lat pull for. otherwise, a dip belt is cheaper than a lat pull and takes up far less space as well.

I haven't been impressed by any of the valor stuff i've seen. it can't be any better than the ppr200x.

just to keep in mind that the lat pull can make it cramped inside the cage, especially for benching.

If space isn't an issue, i definitely recommend going for a standalone cage and just using your bowflex for doing things you'd want the lat pull for. otherwise, a dip belt is cheaper than a lat pull and takes up far less space as well.
    My primary reason for the cage is benching and squats, since I will not have a spotter. I am not a tall guy, but I will check it out more to make sure I have enough room to move around freely. If I do get it, I may add gussets to the corners to beef it up a little. Thanks for a great thread on the subject, this makes things a lot easier for people looking to get started!

My primary reason for the cage is benching and squats, since I will not have a spotter. I am not a tall guy, but I will check it out more to make sure I have enough room to move around freely. If I do get it, I may add gussets to the corners to beef it up a little. Thanks for a great thread on the subject, this makes things a lot easier for people looking to get started!
    good luck.

have you checked your area craigslist? also craigslist in the closest city? it's very possible, though usually takes patience and some research, to find used commercial racks for the same price as some of these cheap racks. before shipping, the asking price on my rack was $350 for a 7ga welded rack.

good luck.

have you checked your area craigslist? also craigslist in the closest city? it's very possible, though usually takes patience and some research, to find used commercial racks for the same price as some of these cheap racks. before shipping, the asking price on my rack was $350 for a 7ga welded rack.
    I have been checking Craigslist as well as the ******** Marketplace, there isn't much in my area. My plan is to buy a rack from Amazon, and the weights from Dicks's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority locally. I am going to call a couple used sporting goods dealers before I pull the trigger, just to see if they have any deals.

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sera310 View Post
    I bought 1 used for next to nothing; it was good to start out on. Negatives: Hole spacing is pretty big. it's pretty light & doesn't bolt down, so if you find it's scooting on you when re-racking, you can hold it down with sandbags or similar. the paint chips pretty easy. it's a little narrow side-to-side.

Positives: It keeps you safe, & it's inexpensive. It's perfectly fine to try out working out at home for low $, to see if it's for you.
    1 more negative I forgot about: the J-hooks are painted steel, they are pretty hard on the knurling on the barbell. helps a lot to wrap them in tape for a tennis racket or road bicycle handlebar, secured with electrical tape.

I have been checking Craigslist as well as the ******** Marketplace, there isn't much in my area. My plan is to buy a rack from Amazon, and the weights from Dicks's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority locally. I am going to call a couple used sporting goods dealers before I pull the trigger, just to see if they have any deals.
    what zip code are you in? some of us love searching new markets when we're bored

Originally Posted by sera310 View Post
    1 more negative I forgot about: the J-hooks are painted steel, they are pretty hard on the knurling on the barbell. helps a lot to wrap them in tape for a tennis racket or road bicycle handlebar, secured with electrical tape.
    OTOH, you don't use the knurling where it sits on the weight pegs, so you can just ignore it

what zip code are you in? some of us love searching new markets when we're bored

OTOH, you don't use the knurling where it sits on the weight pegs, so you can just ignore it
    True, but the tape also protects the paint on the hook, and flaking paint is a problem on this rack.

OP, I don't want to give the wrong impression, the rack I bought to replace this 1 is better in every way, but I used it for years & it was OK to use as a starter, & the replacement cost several times as much. I never would have bought the expensive 1 until after I had tried the inexpensive 1 for awhile, to see if I would stick with it and also to see what I would like/dislike before making a big investment. I lurked on this forum for awhile to study up on it & then found the stuff on craigslist & bought it--rack, bar, plates & a bench (+ a bunch of accessories the guy threw in for free). Bought some Chucks & some chalk & I was GTG.

My Zip is 53936. I have been checking the Madison, WI area, it is about an hour away from me. One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere, there isn't much around for used equipment. Thanks for the help and advice!

the trick is that the people who find the best deals are USUALLY the ones who know what they're looking for and spend the time to look. saving money means spending time and effort. for some of us, this is enjoyable; for others, it just feels like work...

so i would spend time looking on craigslist and then googling brands and asking questions in the craigslist thread if you can't find the answer. to start with, don't buy the plates new. buy this set:

https://madison.craigslist.org/spo/d...675575486.html

talk him down to like $150 and you got yourself a decent deal after you factor in the weight tree. obviously you want to make sure the bar isn't bent or too rusty or whatever, but when you're ready to upgrade to better plates you will make your money back instantly. with this you can do rows, deadlifts, floor presses, cleans and front squats, etc.

put the $40-$50 or so you will have saved vs buying new into your gym fund and add to it when you can. keep an eye out for what equipment is good and worth buying and what isn't.

just my 2 cents

Update: I got the Titan T2 instead of the PPR200x as I found one being sold for just $100. I know Titan is not as recommended but it feels good enough for me at the moment.

Basically the foundation of my setup is all in now. Power rack Titan T2; adjustable bench Powerblock Sports Bench; 790lbs worth of Olympic plates (mostly Power Grips); an unknown Olympic barbell; flimsy-feeling EZ-Curl bar and plate loaded dumbbells from Gold's Gym. All used and under $350! (Got them from several sellers and it took me almost a year of non-continous searching to acquire)

Thanks Cheapo Setup thread!
    Last edited by Vodzilla; 08-28-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Clarification

Update: I got the Titan T2 instead of the PPR200x as I found one being sold for just $100. I know Titan is not as recommended but it feels good enough for me at the moment.

Basically the foundation of my setup is all in now. Power rack Titan T2; adjustable bench Powerblock Sports Bench; 790lbs worth of Olympic plates (mostly Power Grips); an unknown Olympic barbell; flimsy-feeling EZ-Curl bar and plate loaded dumbbells from Gold's Gym. All used and under $350!

Thanks Cheapo Setup thread!
    That's a great haul, congrats.

keep saving up money and checking your used market. sooner or later you're bound to find a much better barbell, bench, and maybe even a rack. which one you want to buy first will probably be determined by luck, but if you're moving a lot of weight you might consider putting some of your savings towards a new barbell.

CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the great tips in this thread.
    Took advantage of the 15% discount on EBAY today. Got a discounted Titan X-2 from the Titan warehouse for $265 shipped and $94 for a Titan Fitness Flat Weight Bench 1,000 lb Rated Capacity w/ Handle & Wheels.

Been looking for cheap plates on CL. Made many offers but no bites yet. Just missed out on some free ones. Next I'll pick up the CAP OLY bar recommended here. Then goodbye overpriced GYM.
    Last edited by CREC; 08-28-2018 at 01:45 PM.

CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10) CREC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My Zip is 53936. I have been checking the Madison, WI area, it is about an hour away from me. One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere, there isn't much around for used equipment. Thanks for the help and advice!
    If your willing to make the drive, there is a guy in MPLS/Fridley selling new GPR378's for $400 cash out of a warehouse, full warranty, reputable (CL listing). Maybe he would even ship?? I was going to go this route but after seeing the Titan X-2 and it's accessory potential, with my needs, it was a no brainer to buy this when a sale popped up.
    Last edited by CREC; 08-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.

krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a low ceiling (less than 7 feet) and found this power rack (REP Fitness PR 1050) for around $220. I am 5 feet 2 inches with 112 lbs. Will this be a good one for me? It is rated for 700 lbs, but 14 guage. I am not going to lift anywhere close to that. Anybody with experience with Rep power racks?

Originally Posted by krish008 View Post
    I have a low ceiling (less than 7 feet) and found this power rack (REP Fitness PR 1050) for around $220. I am 5 feet 2 inches with 112 lbs. Will this be a good one for me? It is rated for 700 lbs, but 14 guage. I am not going to lift anywhere close to that. Anybody with experience with Rep power racks?
    the REP owner is active on this forum and engages with members often. at least a few of us have REP gear in our gyms (i have a bench but got it free, so i maybe biased) but those who have bought it generally have good things to say.

I dunno anything about the power racks, but you could give it a shot. you might also look around for some used power racks; if you're handy at all or know anyone who is you can cut most bolt-together racks to whatever height you need. i have a really low ceiling and that's what i did with my first.

krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10) krish008 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How is the Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench from Amazon? 800lbs capacity. How does it compare with Fitness Gear Pro from Dicks? Also any good deals on benches?

vfall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am getting my first cage/ rack for in my garage. I lift super light (skinny boy) so weight limit is not an issue for now.

Option #1 Marcy 7041 Cage with Lat Pull ($295 free shipping)
    Option #2 Fitness Reality 810XLT no lat pull would have to buy a seperate lat pull machine? ($230)
    Option #3 Valor BD-7 with lat pull ($430)

I am only lifting around 200 lbs. at most now so the weight limit is no issue, looking for a good budget entry buy. I want lat pull but maybe I can wait and get a seperate machine for that, just want an opinon new to this all. Thanks.