Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adjust91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    going to purchase the iron gym pull up bar for door frames to see how that works so I can do pull ups in this routine, however I think i'll swap lat pulldowns with t-bar rows, seems to work the same muscles and it's something I can easily do at home.

WeightRammer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Thanks WeightRammer. I think considering your 1RMs you might be able to milk a bit more from linear progression considering your numbers and body weight. You would be fine running this beginner program. If you find you keep deloading more than progressing, or that you constantly wave between two numbers more than 2-3 times then you would be a good candidate for the more intermediate U/L version I'm looking to test.
    I have been thinking about what you said grouchy. Sorry for the late reply, I was sick for a few days and had to take a few days of rest. Felt too guilty to even log on here to reply to you because I couldn't go to the gym haha. I am thinking about following my routine for a couple more months and see if I can milk a bit more from linear progression, but, if I find that I am deloading more than progressing, I will ask you for the intermediate routine. I will be posting some updates here from time to time about the progress I make, if any. Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Yes!!!

This is exactly what I've been looking for. So glad I stumbled on this thread.

I've been going back and forth on a routine. I've been running Greyskull for a while now, but it didn't have enough back work. I just finished my first cycle of Wendler's 5/3/1 and the Boring but Big template, but I didn't like the 4 days a week and relatively short workouts.

This routine is absolutely perfect for my goals and my available time during the week.

Thanks again for sharing this with us all!

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck! Keep us posted.

rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For a month or so I'm not gonna have a squat rack available. Are smith machine squats a decent substitution?

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not a huge fan of them but if that's all you have for a month you gotta do what you gotta do. Long term I would pick something else but for a few weeks probably not the end of the world.

Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jgreat277 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rpedrosb View Post
    For a month or so I'm not gonna have a squat rack available. Are smith machine squats a decent substitution?
    Leg Press. I do those instead of squats, due to a lower back issue.

rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not a huge fan of them but if that's all you have for a month you gotta do what you gotta do. Long term I would pick something else but for a few weeks probably not the end of the world.
    And between Smith machine and leg press?

antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey grouchy just hit my first 500lb dead lift on this at 200 lbs! ...question tho...for more hypertrophy training could I still use this same workout but different reps and sets? Or do you have another full body workout you use for that? Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by rpedrosb View Post
    And between Smith machine and leg press?
    Either or. Long term between the two, leg press.

Originally Posted by antone315 View Post
    Hey grouchy just hit my first 500lb dead lift on this at 200 lbs! ...question tho...for more hypertrophy training could I still use this same workout but different reps and sets? Or do you have another full body workout you use for that? Thanks in advance
    That is awesome brother!

Did you add in additional exercises as mentioned before? If you did and are still eager for a bit more, adding one drop set of 10 reps after squats and bench could help. Drop about 15-20% off your main work set.

antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That is awesome brother!

Did you add in additional exercises as mentioned before? If you did and are still eager for a bit more, adding one drop set of 10 reps after squats and bench could help. Drop about 15-20% off your main work set.
    Nope I haven't changed one thing to the workout...what exercises are these and how would I incorporate them? I love weighted dips if that's one of them...thanks again man

Nope I haven't changed one thing to the workout...what exercises are these and how would I incorporate them? I love weighted dips if that's one of them...thanks again man
    From the first few posts....

(7) OK, I’ve been doing this for a while. NOW can I add accessory movements? – After at least 12 weeks on this basic routine, you can start thinking about addressing lagging body parts for aesthetic purposes. I would focus on 1-2 areas tops (e.g. biceps and triceps) and alternate them each workout. So maybe after Day One you could add in skullcrushers, and after Day Two you could throw in EZ-bar curls. Keep the accessory work short (3 sets of 10 reps is ideal). You also don’t want it to be too taxing, so use some common sense. Doing Romanian deadlifts at the end of Day Two would probably be too much, same with leg presses on Day One. Switching them around, however, could be beneficial. Just take it slow with accessory work at first and assess as you go.

So depending on where you think you're lagging, you can address those areas specifically. Try just adding one at a time for now.

From the first few posts....

(7) OK, I’ve been doing this for a while. NOW can I add accessory movements? – After at least 12 weeks on this basic routine, you can start thinking about addressing lagging body parts for aesthetic purposes. I would focus on 1-2 areas tops (e.g. biceps and triceps) and alternate them each workout. So maybe after Day One you could add in skullcrushers, and after Day Two you could throw in EZ-bar curls. Keep the accessory work short (3 sets of 10 reps is ideal). You also don’t want it to be too taxing, so use some common sense. Doing Romanian deadlifts at the end of Day Two would probably be too much, same with leg presses on Day One. Switching them around, however, could be beneficial. Just take it slow with accessory work at first and assess as you go.

So depending on where you think you're lagging, you can address those areas specifically. Try just adding one at a time for now.
    Okay thanks for the advice...I don't think I'm lagging much ...I think I might just go on a cut but I like lifting heavier although I'm slowing down...nothing more humbling than lifting heavy ass squats and deads..haha

merpmerp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How come I don't see many exercises using both arms in the row and it's usually the one-arm row?

adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After doing my own routine the past 14 weeks to get back into working out after a long sickness, I'm ready to get back on a proper barbell routine. I've decided to give this a whirl but have a couple questions.

1) What do you recommend for starting weights for deadlift and squat? (I only saw % guidelines for the upper body movements)

2) How should I progress chin ups and one-arm rows and when is it okay to add weight?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by merpmerp View Post
    How come I don't see many exercises using both arms in the row and it's usually the one-arm row?
    Pendlay rows use both arms. One arm rows are a good exercise, that's why you see them often.

Originally Posted by adambannon View Post
    After doing my own routine the past 14 weeks to get back into working out after a long sickness, I'm ready to get back on a proper barbell routine. I've decided to give this a whirl but have a couple questions.

1) What do you recommend for starting weights for deadlift and squat? (I only saw % guidelines for the upper body movements)

2) How should I progress chin ups and one-arm rows and when is it okay to add weight?

Cheers!
    1) Use about 50% of your bodyweight.

2) Add weight to chin-ups once you are doing sets of 10. One-arm rows, once you can hit 20+ reps.

adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1) Use about 50% of your bodyweight.

2) Add weight to chin-ups once you are doing sets of 10. One-arm rows, once you can hit 20+ reps.
    Great Thanks so much!

danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000) danfleysher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just wanted to say this is a great routine. I've been on it for about a month already and really liking the results.
    Last edited by danfleysher; 01-30-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Found the answer
    dy/dx (Weight Loss) = Calories

Goals:
    Squats: 275 5x5
    Bench: 225 4x6
    Pendlay: 205 4x6 (Achieved)
    Deadlift: 315 5x5 (Achieved

Originally Posted by danfleysher View Post
    Just wanted to say this is a great routine. I've been on it for about a month already and really liking the results.
    Honestly it's the best workout on this site I have ran...keep it going and good luck!

Originally Posted by danfleysher View Post
    Honestly it's the best workout on this site I have ran...keep it going and good luck!
    Glad to hear it gents, I appreciate the praise.

I am on my first week of the program and have completed both workout A and B each once. Tomorrow I am scheduled to do workout A again but have a quick question. I managed to get 18 reps on my + set of bench, 14 reps on my + set of Pendlay rows, 15 reps on my + set of deadlift, and 15 reps on my + set of lat pulldown. How much should I increase the weights by for these exercises for the next workouts? I think it is a bit much to add 60 lbs to my bench for example, just because i got 12 reps over the goal. I think I read that increasing by 20 lbs should be the max at one time, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks.

Note: I started with roughly half my body weight for each exercise

I recommend to increase no more than 10 pounds for upper body lifts and 20 pounds for lower body lifts per workout. Give your body time to adjust and grow. No need to go rushing to your max right away.

I recommend to increase no more than 10 pounds for upper body lifts and 20 pounds for lower body lifts per workout. Give your body time to adjust and grow. No need to go rushing to your max right away.
    Awesome thanks! One more thing, what are your thoughts on cardio? I don't run anymore but enjoy playing a few games of pickup basketball every week at my school. I even put off my 3rd workout of the week until Saturday because I felt a little too tired after to train.

Cardio and sports are fine, just make sure you're eating more if bulking is your goal.

timsinderam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good information grouchyjarhead, I think I will use

foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi there,

I'm just started working out again and know that compound lifts are perfect for beginners. I wonder tho if such a A B A split is really necessary? What do you think about a Full Body workout 3 times a week with the same exercises.

I stumbled upon this t-nation.com/training/full-body-workouts-of-the-legends

George Elferman routine .. I mean you have Bench Press, Squats, Rows in there .. and you could change Alternate Dumbell Press to sth like Military Press.

Do you think thats too much for a Beginner?

Thanks a lot for feedback!

Originally Posted by foxbb View Post
    Hi there,

I'm just started working out again and know that compound lifts are perfect for beginners. I wonder tho if such a A B A split is really necessary? What do you think about a Full Body workout 3 times a week with the same exercises.

I stumbled upon this t-nation.com/training/full-body-workouts-of-the-legends

George Elferman routine .. I mean you have Bench Press, Squats, Rows in there .. and you could change Alternate Dumbell Press to sth like Military Press.

Do you think thats too much for a Beginner?

Thanks a lot for feedback!
    I wouldn't combine these particular workouts into one giant workout if that's what you mean, but if you want to try Eiferman's routine because it interests you go for it.

Eiferman's routine is 33 sets, half of which are primary dumbbell isolation exercises. That leaves about 18 heavy work sets, which is pretty equivalent to what I have, I just have extra sets focused on specific exercises. Most beginners don't need to worry about lat raises, concentration curls, and wrist curls for a while.

foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foxbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't combine these particular workouts into one giant workout if that's what you mean, but if you want to try Eiferman's routine because it interests you go for it.

Eiferman's routine is 33 sets, half of which are primary dumbbell isolation exercises. That leaves about 18 heavy work sets, which is pretty equivalent to what I have, I just have extra sets focused on specific exercises. Most beginners don't need to worry about lat raises, concentration curls, and wrist curls for a while.
    Thanks for the answer Alright, yes I thought the same about many isolation exercises, which is why I cut down on them to narrow it down to

Zercher Squat
    Bench Press
    Incline Dumbell Flys
    Yates Row
    Seated Dumbell Press (used to do Push Press, thats just to try sth new)
    Bench Rear Lateral Raise
    Bench Dips
    Hammer Curls

Bench Dips are basically just in there because I like them, and Rear lateral raise, because every beginner like myself is having such a flat shoulder, everyones front delt heavy due to nature and bench pressing ^^ cant be wrong on doing this three times a week. 8 exercises x 3 should be fine for a full body workout, + some abs

maybe I gonna start a new journal about it