Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DRB1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weightlifting for Health after 40

Hello,

I'm 43 years old, ~230 lbs, 5'11", male. I've put on a lot of weight since COVID started (probably went from 200 to almost 250), being somewhat sedentary, enjoying a late night drink and snacking, and juggling 4 young kids. I don't really know how to fit the gym into my schedule, but over the past 3 or 4 months, I have been able to workin weight lifting 3 to 4 times a week (sometimes walking on the treadmill as well). Also, I've tried to focus on a high protein low carb diet (though I certainly cheat a fair amount). I've definitely put on muscle, but the weight has come off slowly. (Note: I've been in really great shape when I was in the Army in my 20's, and again on a 1-year health kick in my 30's, but generally I've been in around the 200 +/- lb range until COVID.

I've been using the Core Home Fitness adjustable dumbbells (50 lbs), a foldable bench, and a dumbell only plan I found online (I don't have a partner to lift with, and don't have room for a barbell set-up). I have two real questions:

1. I'm really most focussed on trying to be healthy. I'd love to be under 190lbs, and mid teens or lower BFP. I don't need to look like a bodybuilder, but I'd also like to not be embarrassed in a swimsuit.
    2. I'm maxing out a lot exercises for the 50lb dumbbells (bench press, bent over row, deadlifts, squats, shoulder press) at 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps, even with 5 second negatives. I'm usually doing super sets with 45 second rest.
    3. Unfortunately my Core Home Fitness dumbbells broke. I never dropped them, but they do land a little hard (on carpet) when I do hamstring curls because it is difficult to control it perfectly between my feet. Apparently that is enough to break them. It's about $160 to get new handles.

Q1: I'd really be perfectly happy staying at 50 lbs max dumbbells. I really don't need to push the weight and get injured. However, I read that I may be completely wasting my time if the weight is not progressing. Do I need to keep pushing the weight if I'm only concerned about lifting for health?
    Q2: Now that I need to invest anyway, rather than staying with Core Home Fitness, which I'm scared will break again, would this be a good time to invest in 80 or 90 lbs adjustable dumbbells? I may be expecting too much, but for several hundred dollars, my expectation is that adjustable dumbbells should last a lifetime with normal wear and tear. I know Nubell is the gold standard, but now I'm paranoid of any adjustable dumbbell using plastic parts. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-DRB

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See below in bold.

Originally Posted by DRB1980 View Post
    Q1: I'd really be perfectly happy staying at 50 lbs max dumbbells. I really don't need to push the weight and get injured. However, I read that I may be completely wasting my time if the weight is not progressing. Do I need to keep pushing the weight if I'm only concerned about lifting for health?

You don't need to lift at all for "health". But if you want to build muscle, you're going to have to get stronger. You're not going to accidentally wake up one day and be super strong & muscular just because you did a proper weightlifting program - you can stop increasing the weight when you have the level of muscle that you're content with.

Q2: Now that I need to invest anyway, rather than staying with Core Home Fitness, which I'm scared will break again, would this be a good time to invest in 80 or 90 lbs adjustable dumbbells? I may be expecting too much, but for several hundred dollars, my expectation is that adjustable dumbbells should last a lifetime with normal wear and tear. I know Nubell is the gold standard, but now I'm paranoid of any adjustable dumbbell using plastic parts. Any recommendations?

Yes, even at novice levels, if you're doing any proper lifting program you'll eventually need more than 50 lbs for pressing, rowing & leg exercises. You can do endless reps with lower weights, but when you're not that strong or muscular in the first place & are trying to change that, in practice it's not going to work out well for you.

Buy a set of old school spinlock 100 lb dbs if you expect your purchase to last a lifetime. They will also be cheaper than any other option at that weight.

tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm going to slighlty disagree with you air2fakie, just because i have nothing better to do.
    Fitness is a significant component of health. Whilst people might use the word fitness in all kinds of ways, strength is definitely part of fitness, maybe the most important part. Isnt "lifting" the most proficient method for getting strong?

Edit, thats probably not a disagreement though, since one can still obtain a sufficient (for health) amount of strength from non lifting activities.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tommy4life View Post
    I'm going to slighlty disagree with you air2fakie, just because i have nothing better to do.
    Fitness is a significant component of health. Whilst people might use the word fitness in all kinds of ways, strength is definitely part of fitness, maybe the most important part. Isnt "lifting" the most proficient method for getting strong?

Edit, thats probably not a disagreement though, since one can still obtain a sufficient (for health) amount of strength from non lifting activities.
    I don’t think there’s much of a disagreement here. Plus there are plenty of men and women who live long lives all around the world without ever doing any weightlifting or specific strength training activities.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think it's important to draw a distinction between training and exercise. You can do either and be fit and healthy, but you need to progressively overload and train if you want to substantially increase your size and/or strength. If you really don't care about doing anything other than being fit, you can just be active and exercise for 30 minutes a day (minimum) at whatever cardio and resistance-based activities you enjoy and be perfectly healthy and lean. Whether you are focusing on training or exercise, diet plays a bigger role than you think and you have to start with nutrition and portion size.
    Last edited by radrd; 02-13-2024 at 06:27 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    . I'd love to be under 190lbs, and mid teens or lower BFP. I don't need to look like a bodybuilder, but I'd also like to not be embarrassed in a swimsuit.
    This is where most people fall down. A goal should be realistic and internally consistent. 190lbs, mid-teens body fat% would be very muscular.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    This is where most people fall down. A goal should be realistic and internally consistent. 190lbs, mid-teens body fat% would be very muscular.
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Even though i am only 5'11", i have a pretty big frame, so 190 and mid teens bfp is not as big muscles as one might expect.

tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tommy4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Air2fakie
    That might be true, but there are plenty of healthy people in the world who arent doing all the healthy things, there are just too many options. But imo, in order of priority of things to focus in for health would be
    1. Dont smoke
    2. Minimal alcohol
    3. Healthy bodyweight (keep wasitline under 40 inches)
    4. Diet (try to eat moslty whole foods, or follow your country's dietary guidelines)
    5. Exercise (your country's guidelines but usually cardio and resistance training together works best)
    6. Sleep (wake up naturally)
    7. Stress
    8. Environmental toxins

Radrd
    Yeah probably, but surely you would agree that resistance training is more beneficial when done as part of training, not just exercise? Especially when getting old and falls and muscle loss become a problem.

DRB1980
    I agree with lactose. 5'11, 190lb and lean is decent and would be difficult to achieve with 50lb Dumbells and with just exercise (not training)

Air2fakie
    That might be true, but there are plenty of healthy people in the world who arent doing all the healthy things, there are just too many options. But imo, in order of priority of things to focus in for health would be
    1. Dont smoke
    2. Minimal alcohol
    3. Healthy bodyweight (keep wasitline under 40 inches)
    4. Diet (try to eat moslty whole foods, or follow your country's dietary guidelines)
    5. Exercise (your country's guidelines but usually cardio and resistance training together works best)
    6. Sleep (wake up naturally)
    7. Stress
    8. Environmental toxins
    Haha you must’ve been serious when you said you’re going to disagree because you have nothing better to do. :P

The point you were originally disagreeing with was when I said you don’t need to lift to be healthy. Most of the people in the world don’t lift weights, and as you note above, there are plenty of other factors one can focus on in order to be healthy.

In the end, genetics probably is the most important factor since that drives a lot of the ailments that end up afflicting many people - and dictates the extent of a difference all of the other factors make for any one individual.

Yep, power is down at the uni so im just messing around on my phone.

Suppose my point is this. There are many things outisde your control when it comes to health, but some are. I listed all the important life stle factors one can influence to improve their health. I honestly think that exercise is the easiest one on the list to check off, the low hanginf fruit so to speak. Sure, you can just be physically active and play a sport, and that's what i used to tell people when i worked as a gym sales rep. But for people short on time, whi want to maximise the exercise health benefits, strength training is a really good approach.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Radrd
    Yeah probably, but surely you would agree that resistance training is more beneficial when done as part of training, not just exercise? Especially when getting old and falls and muscle loss become a problem.
    Yes, but there are diminishing returns with everything and it depends on your goals. I think you could go your entire life working out with just a good set of dumbbells, pull up bar, and an adjustable bench and be just as healthy as someone who excelled at heavy powerlifting or olympic weightlifting as long as your nutrition was in check. Health and training intensity don't correlate the same as strength/hypertrophy and training intensity.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Yes, but there are diminishing returns with everything and it depends on your goals. I think you could go your entire life working out with just a good set of dumbbells, pull up bar, and an adjustable bench and be just as healthy as someone who excelled at heavy powerlifting or olympic weightlifting as long as your nutrition was in check. Health and training intensity don't correlate the same as strength/hypertrophy and training intensity.
    I dont think an elite powerlifter would be healthy.

Health and muscle mass do correlate though (to a point), and if the best way to build muslce is with proper training then training is healthy. A person might achieve this with a set of dumbells. But based on OPs goal, i dont think 50lb Dumbells will be enough

I dont think an elite powerlifter would be healthy.

Health and muscle mass do correlate though (to a point), and if the best way to build muslce is with proper training then training is healthy. A person might achieve this with a set of dumbells. But based on OPs goal, i dont think 50lb Dumbells will be enough
    Agreed that 50s are pretty light for an adult male who wants to do any resistance training that is even remotely serious. I'd step up to an 80 lb set or more.

Did you hear that OP (maybe you didnt because you're an AI)? get more weight

Also, if youre interested in weightlifting for health after 40 check out the articles/forums on Strong First, Barbell Medecine and Starting Strength. Note, avoid the Starting Strength forums, a lot of tin foil hatters there.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Even though i am only 5'11", i have a pretty big frame, so 190 and mid teens bfp is not as big muscles as one might expect.
    Yeah. A lot of guys think that.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Thanks for all the advice folks. It looks like the consensus is I need heavier weights. I'm eyeing the Nuobell (80lbs), Snode (85lbs with aluminum weights) and the Trulap (92 lbs), all relatively close on price. I'm leaning toward the Trulaps for the extra weight and the longest warranty (3 years). I do a lot of 45 second rest super sets, so I'd prefer weight that adjust quickly (I understand something like the Ironmaster or Spinlock may be the most durable)

I'm just paranoid that the Core Home Fitness broke with very normal use, but as I understand it they may be much less durable than the other brands.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Prime Super Squat Bar

Prime Trap Bar

Kabuki Cadillac Bar

Intek / American Barbell Urethane EZ grip plates

-----

If you have the room:
    Prime Hybrid Hip Adductor / Abductor

Peppin Fast Dumbbells
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post

Prime Super Squat Bar

Prime Trap Bar

Kabuki Cadillac Bar

Intek / American Barbell Urethane EZ grip plates

-----

If you have the room:
    Prime Hybrid Hip Adductor / Abductor

Peppin Fast Dumbbells
    Did you post this in the right thread? I don't think OP needs to drop $30k on equipment to get healthier. FWIW I have Intek Urethan Grip Plates and love them, but getting iron grip plates or bumpers is going to be a better investment for most people. They are a niche product for sure.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for all the advice folks. It looks like the consensus is I need heavier weights. I'm eyeing the Nuobell (80lbs), Snode (85lbs with aluminum weights) and the Trulap (92 lbs), all relatively close on price. I'm leaning toward the Trulaps for the extra weight and the longest warranty (3 years). I do a lot of 45 second rest super sets, so I'd prefer weight that adjust quickly (I understand something like the Ironmaster or Spinlock may be the most durable)

I'm just paranoid that the Core Home Fitness broke with very normal use, but as I understand it they may be much less durable than the other brands.

If you just want to stay in shape you can buy a set of adjustable dumbbells from Walmart for example.

With 40 lb dbs, you can press, fly, row, etc…mix with running, biking, swimming, calisthenics…monitor your diet and you’re all set.

Example:

Push-ups
    Pull-ups
    Db press/fly
    Db rows
    Overhead press
    Side, rear laterals
    Db curls
    Triceps ext
    Diamond push-ups
    Sit-ups
    Bulgarian split squats
    Goblet squats
    Db hack squats
    Lunges
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you post this in the right thread? I don't think OP needs to drop $30k on equipment to get healthier. FWIW I have Intek Urethan Grip Plates and love them, but getting iron grip plates or bumpers is going to be a better investment for most people. They are a niche product for sure.
    I saw something about DBs, just posted a better complete setup for compact spaces

There are chinese versions for ~ 20% the price of originals

For health, walk 6 k to 10 k steps a day

Join a cheap gym and lift weights 2 to 3 times a week, just be consistent, obviously don't need a home gym or a million bitcoins
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    you could go your entire life working out with just a good set of dumbbells, pull up bar, and an adjustable bench
    That describes my home garage gym. Except no pull up bar. I have exercise bands anchored at the top of my heavy punching bag. So I can still do vertical pull.

My spinlocks maxed out at 60 pounds, so I welded on some threaded extensions. If I didn't know how to weld, well...I wouldn't know how to weld.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyvile Kansas for traveling worker. All bils paid. Ful kitchens. Washer and dryer. Weekly rates. Crud oil refinery, fertilizer plant, renewable fuel and soybean plant contractors. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians and inspectors.

Did you hear that OP (maybe you didnt because you're an AI)? get more weight

Also, if youre interested in weightlifting for health after 40 check out the articles/forums on Strong First, Barbell Medecine and Starting Strength. Note, avoid the Starting Strength forums, a lot of tin foil hatters there.
    Thanks. I agree realistically, I'll need to improve diet a bit more to get where I want to be. Ultimately, for free, I could just be doing the 7 Minute exercise programs 3x per day, but I would like to ultimately be a bit more muscular than that even if I'm not shooting to look like a professional bodybuilder or weightlifter.

I really appreciate everyone's guidance

Thanks. I agree realistically, I'll need to improve diet a bit more to get where I want to be. Ultimately, for free, I could just be doing the 7 Minute exercise programs 3x per day, but I would like to ultimately be a bit more muscular than that even if I'm not shooting to look like a professional bodybuilder or weightlifter.

I really appreciate everyone's guidance
    A gimmicky 7-minute program falls into the "better than nothing" category of routines, assuming the exercises are safe which isn't a given - oftentimes you're basically doing cardio with weights. You'd be better off going for a 45-minute walk at whatever time of the day you typically snack and take in extra calories.

Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think everyone put a lot of weight when the Covid started. I'm 54 y.o. But sports and workouts were always a part of my life. But COVID has changed a lot of things after gyms were shut, and no one had a clue when all this madness will stop.
    In the beginning, I just ate and watched TV, like everyone else. But living without working out and when all my gadgets were beeping all the time, saying that I needed to walk around, I decided to turn my garage into the gym. I parked both cars outside and found my old dumbells. Besides, I found some cardio exercises on YouTube, and there are a lot of them. But it helps me to be in shape, and I use my home gym when my gym is crowded.

A gimmicky 7-minute program falls into the "better than nothing" category of routines, assuming the exercises are safe which isn't a given - oftentimes you're basically doing cardio with weights. You'd be better off going for a 45-minute walk at whatever time of the day you typically snack and take in extra calories.
    I wasn't advocating for the 7 minute exercise program, as it's body weight exercises and I wanted to be a bit more muscular. I was referring to the NYT "Scientific 7 minute workout" which got a lot of press several years ago (won't let me post links). The recommendation was to do it 3x in a row for a ~30 minute HIIT exercise session. I'm not sure if it would considered gimmicky or not, but a lot more intense than a 45 minute walk.

I wasn't advocating for the 7 minute exercise program, as it's body weight exercises and I wanted to be a bit more muscular. I was referring to the NYT "Scientific 7 minute workout" which got a lot of press several years ago (won't let me post links). The recommendation was to do it 3x in a row for a ~30 minute HIIT exercise session. I'm not sure if it would considered gimmicky or not, but a lot more intense than a 45 minute walk.
    You need to get out of this mindset that because you don't want to look like a professional bodybuilder that you should do "intense" cardio style lifting workouts. The initial process is the same whether you want a respectable muscular base or to look like a bodybuilder.

The number of calories you're going to burn doing an intense 7-min HIIT workout 3x daily is going to be roughly the same as a brisk 45 min walk, yet HIIT will be much more challenging mentally and physically and a lot harder to sustain. HIIT will also probably make you hungrier, so you'll end up eating more calories or have additional mental stress trying to keep from eating in between HIIT sessions.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You need to get out of this mindset that because you don't want to look like a professional bodybuilder that you should do "intense" cardio style lifting workouts. The initial process is the same whether you want a respectable muscular base or to look like a bodybuilder.
    Just to make sure I'm clear on what is being said: I wasn't advocating a HIIT program at all. It was a throw away comment (partly to justify buying a heavier set of dumbbells), which seems to have taken on a life of its own.

I'm currently doing a 4 day, dumbbell only program. 2 days legs, 2 days upper body. about 20 total sets (3-4 sets per exercise) per workout and 8-12 reps per set. I generally do 2-3 exercises per super set, and about 45 seconds rest between exercises (Limited time is the biggest reason I picked 45 seconds vs. a longer rest period). This generally takes about 30 minutes, and I'll do 10 to 30 minutes of stretching/rehab afterwards. Additionally, I'll occasionally do 30 minutes on the treadmill time allowing. If it sounds like I need to significantly modify that to meet my goals (Be healthy, lose weight and fat, build muscle) please let me know.

From my limited knowledge, my understanding is that if I'm not increasing the weight, then I'm not really building new muscle (hence folks recommendation to get heavier weights). So continuing to lift the same weight will burn calories (but not better than walking), and maintain muscle mass, but not continue to add.

Am I understanding everything right, or still missing it?

From my limited knowledge, my understanding is that if I'm not increasing the weight, then I'm not really building new muscle (hence folks recommendation to get heavier weights). So continuing to lift the same weight will burn calories (but not better than walking), and maintain muscle mass, but not continue to add.

Am I understanding everything right, or still missing it?
    That is roughly correct. You can also increase reps, but when you're new to this & trying to build a base level of muscle (& hence strength), in practice you need to be lifting a base level of weight for bread & butter compound lifts.

People often think that because they don't want to be a powerlifter or professional bodybuilder they don't need to lift heavier weights, or do a proper lifting program, and that's why they look the same year after year.

Plus what most people think of as "heavy weight" is really just advanced beginner or low intermediate weight in the overall scheme of things - so getting to that point is just the beginning of the journey rather than the end.

Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100) Cerege is not very well liked. (-100)
    You need to start with the smaller weight and then steadily increase it. When you feel that everything is easy, then you aren't building muscles but just burning calories.