Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Eventually you would need more than a week to recover from Smolov so running it back to back would only work for a few blocks I'd think. Never tried it.
    Is it possible to run your intermediate program twice a week

I’m still a novice running f5
    But i’m just curious about my options when i can no longer use linear progression

Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100) Kevinwuelm is not very well liked. (-100)
    interesting, super simple and far different to the workouts i do where i kinda just do a little bit of everything and multiple sets of high reps. More body building than strength but i try to do both.

Registered User LieutenantDan95's Avatar
    LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LieutenantDan95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question about the 5+, 4, 3, 2, 1 rep scheme. Would I start out doing my 2-3 warmup sets BEFORE starting my 5+ set?

In other words, is the 5+ set my first actual work set? Or is it a warmup set?

Also, what if I just get 5 reps and not 6 or more...is that considered a fail since I didn’t do more than 5 reps?

Lastly, it says 5+, so technically speaking if I could get like 15 clean reps, would that just mean I should probably add like 20lbs to my next set since it was that easy?
    Last edited by LieutenantDan95; 10-20-2018 at 04:58 PM.

AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexisDan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm sitting here reading this. Guys, I am very impressed. I see that in this sphere you can get results in any circumstances, you just need to try and wark hard. You showed such cool transformation and talked so much useful information.

Tactical Barbell Crew grouchyjarhead's Avatar
    grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TLWeight View Post
    Is it possible to run your intermediate program twice a week

I’m still a novice running f5
    But i’m just curious about my options when i can no longer use linear progression
    It wouldn't be as effective due to its setup. You would be a lot better off running the two day version of 531 or Tactical Barbell's Fighter template.
    Beginner Powerbuilding Routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169993933

Intermediate U/L for Powerbuilding:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175303901

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LieutenantDan95 View Post
    I have a question about the 5+, 4, 3, 2, 1 rep scheme. Would I start out doing my 2-3 warmup sets BEFORE starting my 5+ set?

In other words, is the 5+ set my first actual work set? Or is it a warmup set?

Also, what if I just get 5 reps and not 6 or more...is that considered a fail since I didn’t do more than 5 reps?

Lastly, it says 5+, so technically speaking if I could get like 15 clean reps, would that just mean I should probably add like 20lbs to my next set since it was that easy?
    Yes do the warm up sets before the 5+, which is your first work set. If you only hit 5, stay at the same weight. Stagnation is pretty rare but it usually only takes a session or two to adjust. And yes, there will be times the weight is flying. Just add the maximum recommended and feel good about it.

misterworkout12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good wrote up, Cheers

Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dwoodsey10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    By definition, I would call this a strength building program (not power). However, I enjoyed the write-up and definitely like it's simplicity.
    David Woods
    B.S. Exercise Science, West Chester University
    DPT Class of 2022, Drexel University

Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi All, Grouchy,

I'm on my 5th workout of this program, loving it for curing my last year of fukarounditis.

Sorry if it's already been answered or if its obvious, whats the recommendation if you don't get even to the last 6?

last workout was 50 x 6/6/6/8

this workout 55 x 6/6/4...

(kg)

I did only get 6 hours sleep, should I go for the 55 again in a few days or drop the weight a lot? I tend to progress quickly and then stall just as quick on LPs, but I know I'm not strong enough to be at that limit yet.
    5'8.5 and call it 5'9 crew

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Originally Posted by Dwoodsey10 View Post
    By definition, I would call this a strength building program (not power). However, I enjoyed the write-up and definitely like it's simplicity.
    Powerbuilding is a slang term for using a powerlifting-style approach to bodybuilding. That's all.

Originally Posted by Wisop View Post
    Hi All, Grouchy,

I'm on my 5th workout of this program, loving it for curing my last year of fukarounditis.

Sorry if it's already been answered or if its obvious, whats the recommendation if you don't get even to the last 6?

last workout was 50 x 6/6/6/8

this workout 55 x 6/6/4...

(kg)

I did only get 6 hours sleep, should I go for the 55 again in a few days or drop the weight a lot? I tend to progress quickly and then stall just as quick on LPs, but I know I'm not strong enough to be at that limit yet.
    If you're using kgs, it might be wiser to progress by 2.5 and 5kg if you can. If you are and miss the set, I personally always would penalize myself. So in this case I would go back to the 50kg.

Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wisop is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Powerbuilding is a slang term for using a powerlifting-style approach to bodybuilding. That's all.

If you're using kgs, it might be wiser to progress by 2.5 and 5kg if you can. If you are and miss the set, I personally always would penalize myself. So in this case I would go back to the 50kg.
    Oh yeah I'm definitely turning 10lbs - 5kg and 5lbs - 2.5 kg,

and will do. After the last workout I think I see what you mean about taking it easy at the start as it'll get tough quick!

There's a slight problem that there's no 1.25kg/2.5lb plates to put on each side for bench and OHP, I'll wing it as to whether I do higher reps/lower weight or dive into the heavier load.

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Bit of a progression dilemma, it's only my third deadlift session and I started at 231 for 5+, which I'd comfortably built to in the last couple weeks.

Made 7 reps, hard but not back breaking,

added 10lbs and 3+ mins of rest for the set of 4 and barely made 1 rep.

And I feel like I've gone to snap city as well, should I just chill out on that first set and just get 5 for a couple sessions even if I can pull more? I dunno what happened today, maybe it was just a one off with bad recovery.

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Bit of a progression dilemma, it's only my third deadlift session and I started at 231 for 5+, which I'd comfortably built to in the last couple weeks.

Made 7 reps, hard but not back breaking,

added 10lbs and 3+ mins of rest for the set of 4 and barely made 1 rep.

And I feel like I've gone to snap city as well, should I just chill out on that first set and just get 5 for a couple sessions even if I can pull more? I dunno what happened today, maybe it was just a one off with bad recovery.
    That is unusual. Do you know about how much you can deadlift right now? How does your form feel (e.g. does it feel locked in or are you still getting comfortable with it)? Did you eat well/sleep well/hydrate well? Different time of day? Nagging injuries? Could be anything. You can always penalize yourself for the set of 4 as before if you want to back off a bit (e.g. go for around 90kg instead of 105kg since you missed three reps in one of your later sets).

For smaller poundages, a length of chain for the right weight can work and is cheap and easy to cart around. Hook it to the collars on both ends of the chain. Obviously the bigger the links the shorter the chain, so hang out at a hardware store with a scale of some kind and you can figure out what looks like a good length.

That is unusual. Do you know about how much you can deadlift right now? How does your form feel (e.g. does it feel locked in or are you still getting comfortable with it)? Did you eat well/sleep well/hydrate well? Different time of day? Nagging injuries? Could be anything. You can always penalize yourself for the set of 4 as before if you want to back off a bit (e.g. go for around 90kg instead of 105kg since you missed three reps in one of your later sets).

For smaller poundages, a length of chain for the right weight can work and is cheap and easy to cart around. Hook it to the collars on both ends of the chain. Obviously the bigger the links the shorter the chain, so hang out at a hardware store with a scale of some kind and you can figure out what looks like a good length.
    I took a long stick to my back to check my form hadn't deteriorated, and even so the 7 reps should've been more difficult. Usually my grip would give long before form suffers but it's been doing well on this program.

It's probably an accumulation of things. Not deadlifting for ages, working up to close to my previous max of about 155kg/341lbs (the 7 reps to 4 being about 125-130)

And I'd been indoor bouldering yesterday, teaching kettlebell classes the week before, even though it's a 'beginners' 3 day program I forget I only have one back! I'll cool it with the DL progress and hope my squat catches up in turn which I've also gone lighter on, to try and get deeper.

The chain is a great idea, I should have something lying around, cheers!

1000lb club here we come.

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Bouldering is no joke, heavy work on the upper back which is an important part of deadlifting. Could be something as simple as that. Slow and steady gives big gains on this kind of progression, it's a smart approach.

Bouldering is no joke, heavy work on the upper back which is an important part of deadlifting. Could be something as simple as that. Slow and steady gives big gains on this kind of progression, it's a smart approach.

Probably, hanging out horizontal for poses can't have helped the old pulling chain either.

Squats completed very nicely today, I'm keeping a thick dumbbell under my arse to make sure I don't regress to quarter reps on heavier loads.

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

panteadougani is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Interesting and motivational content.

Hey Grouchy, thanks for the advice. I've kept at it and things are steadily climbing, gone from around 200 in the beginning to a 340 DL yesterday,

but while I'm physically able to get the weight up, my back is in phenomenal pain now. Not necesarily severe injury pain, just like ultra doms and I dunno if I can keep up that weight twice a week (every other week).

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but what would you recommend for keeping on building the numbers without quite so much volume staring at over 220 every workout? I just don't have the recovery ability, I was thinking of Romanians but that just feels like more lumbar aggravation for a longer time under tension, you mentioned Donnie Young using a lower rep scheme for pure strength, is that written anywhere?

Thanks

Alex

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Hey Grouchy, thanks for the advice. I've kept at it and things are steadily climbing, gone from around 200 in the beginning to a 340 DL yesterday,

but while I'm physically able to get the weight up, my back is in phenomenal pain now. Not necesarily severe injury pain, just like ultra doms and I dunno if I can keep up that weight twice a week (every other week).

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but what would you recommend for keeping on building the numbers without quite so much volume staring at over 220 every workout? I just don't have the recovery ability, I was thinking of Romanians but that just feels like more lumbar aggravation for a longer time under tension, you mentioned Donnie Young using a lower rep scheme for pure strength, is that written anywhere?

Thanks

Alex
    The rep scheme changes were for the bench and the press (he would start with 4x6, alternate 4x6 with 5x3, and then eventually just 5x3).

There is a one deadlift session a week option in the original postings if that sounds more feasible. I would definitely get someone to check your form as well.

The rep scheme changes were for the bench and the press (he would start with 4x6, alternate 4x6 with 5x3, and then eventually just 5x3).

There is a one deadlift session a week option in the original postings if that sounds more feasible. I would definitely get someone to check your form as well.
    Will do, just seen the A-B-A every week option, I think I'll definitely be on that.

I think I've found the form issue, my back is completely parallel to the ground at the start, like a romanian deadlift but all the way to the ground.. so it's nearly all back and 5% legs

cheers
    Last edited by Wisop; 12-03-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Ex knee dragger crew

Nofap 2016 crew

Put this video on at the gym and follow along.

boostat4500 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started this program a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it! Hitting a new best in DL and Squat each time is very motivational. I did find I need to modify the squat schedule though to accommodate skiing all weekend.
    Quick question, at what point do you recommend adding weight to the chin-ups? My last session I did 13, 12, and 10. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, and thanks for the great program.

I'd say you're ready for weighted chins. Keep it simple - start at 3x5 and work up to 3x10 with that weight before bumping up. The 3x6, 1x6+ option could work if you stick to 2.5 pound jumps but it's been hit or miss with some folks.