Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Beginner Powerbuilding Routine

I was asked about this by someone else, so I thought I'd share. I’m not a professional trainer, and although I do have a background in exercise physiology I have never worked in the field nor been up to date with it for the past 8 years. So you can do this if you wish, but if you get busted up, not my fault.

I have four lifters (friends) using this approach successfully right now and wanted to share. They all enjoy it, have seen some good improvements in their lifts, and have added on good solid bodyweight. The only complaint I got is from one of the guys (Matt) as he had to wear sweatpants for several days because his thighs grew so fast he couldn’t fit into any of his pants and he was in between paychecks when he discovered none of his pants fit. Most get their workout done in under 90 minutes easily, and like the simplicity of it.

Back in the 1970s, there was a powerlifter by the name of Doug Young who was turning heads not only with his impressive poundages in the squat, bench, and deadlift, but also from his physique. At 5'11" Doug Young was a dominant figure in the 110kg/242 pound class. Young's top lifts were a 722 squat, a 612 bench press (which he did in just a T-shirt), a 738 deadlift, and a 2017 pound total. He also boasted legitimate 20 inch arms and reportedly at his heaviest (275 pounds) he had a 60 inch chest. He was accurately measured at 245 pounds of having a 55 inch chest (just 2 inches shy of Schwarzenegger's). All in all, Young was impressive both strength and size wise.

For that reason, I wanted to share some of his training secrets with you all. This is not his exact routine but is rather based off of his training methods, as at his peak Young was pushing for a monster bench press so he would often bench three times a week and hit the squat and deadlift only once every 8-10 days. Obviously this isn't ideal for beginners so I upped their frequency a bit while reducing the bench press frequency to 1-2 times a week and alternating it with the press. I also added in some heavy compound pulls to even things out with all the pressing. Young was big into bodybuilding as accessory movements, so once you begin adapting to the basic program you can start addressing other areas.

With that said, here's the basic template. You'll see similarities to the Greyskull LP in some respects. Like the old saying goes, there is nothing new in the Iron Game.

So far it looks pretty basic. You'll notice the plusses at the end of some of the sets. We'll explain that here shortly. Here’s the bare bone details for now. Train three times a week, no more. If you can only train twice a week, I’ll give you an option for that at the end. Make sure you warm up properly before your work sets. I typically do 2-3 light sets before I begin my work sets, I take minimal rest during these sets (only the time it takes to change the plates and get prepared for the lift). Once I finish my last warm-up set is when I take the full rest time. Obviously individual warm-ups will vary. Speaking of rest – rest at LEAST two minutes in between sets. Three minutes is probably ideal for most trainees, up to five minutes if your recovery is poor or if you are in dire need of more for any reason. I find three minutes gives an ideal range for both strength and hypertrophy purposes. Rest and diet are just as important as your workouts. Don't train hard, spend all night out at the club, sleep three or four hours a night on most days of the week, and complain about why you won't grow. 8 hours of sleep should be a minimum - 9+ is even better if you're bulking. Fit a nap in during the day if you can too. As for food, it depends on your goal but you need to start tracking your intake and most likely up your protein. I won't cover diet as it's already been covered very well - read the stickies in the Nutrition forum.

Now let’s talk briefly about how to best perform these lifts. Specifically, Youtube references of what I personally feel are the best descriptions of these lifts.

Squat – If big numbers are what you’re after, a low bar wide stance typically works for most lifters. If big quads and explosive legs are what you’re after, a high bar narrow stance (Olympic-style) squat works well for most lifters. Either can be used on this program, though the low bar wide stance is probably the most applicable for most lifters. Young naturally preferred the low bar version, but he went as deep as he could in that position even in competitions which could be why he had 29” thighs.
    http://youtu.be/rOJGzAgLWDc
    http://youtu.be/wYMqN6vveB0

Bench Press – Young preferred a wide grip (32 inches, which was the maximum width at the time) and conducted these powerlifting-style, with an exaggerated pause on the bottom. Observers often thought he was moving in slow motion when he was lowering the barbell - Young's rationalization was if you got perfect placement of the barbell, the press back up was easy. I recommend an exaggerated pause on the first rep of each set, and controlled reps rather than bouncing them off the chest. Don’t flare your elbows, keep a tight arch, and don’t just blast out the reps.
    http://youtu.be/_V189hK85BI

Deadlift – Young was a conventional deadlifter, and that’s what I recommend for this program. If for whatever reasons you prefer sumo, I would use sumo for the first set of 5+, then switch to conventional for the remaining sets. A lot of great powerlifters used both in their training (Rickey Crain, for example).
    http://youtu.be/9GYpNhZ-lH0

Overhead Press – This is one variation I added in myself. Young admittedly did no real overhead pressing from what I can find. The closest I can find is the standing barbell triceps press, which Young would crank out reps using 225 pounds. I personally think the overhead press is a bit more elbow friendly (reportedly Young did have some issues with his elbows which was probably from the heavy triceps presses), is an under-utilized but effective exercise, and helps balance things out overall. Another thing I recommend is cleaning from the floor rather than pressing from the rack. Cleaning from the floor seems to amplify the press and besides, it's way sexier than pressing from the rack.
    http://youtu.be/sqKhLR1zRaU
    http://youtu.be/SvfO13iSRMs

Barbell Row – Though popular now known as the Pendlay row, this is the form that many bodybuilders and powerlifters from the 1970s used. I prefer Pendlay rows for most folks simply because you can use more weight and it's less taxing to the lower back.
    http://youtu.be/ZlRrIsoDpKg

Chin-Up – For a good combination of back work and to hit the biceps so you don't complain about the lack of curls, chin-ups can help you get there. Keep your shoulders down, palms facing towards you, and get your chin well over the bar. Don't mindlessly crank out reps, one strict chin-up is better than three shoddy ones. Focus on form - strength and growth will follow. These should be done for As Many Reps as Possible (AMRAP).
    http://youtu.be/FnK2EizHd2Y

Lat Pulldown - Some people might find it strange to see the lat pulldown in a beginner routine. This is yet again an under-utilized but effective exercise that has gotten a bad rep lately. This was a key deadlift assistance exercise for many powerlifters during this era (it was one of Vince Anello's key exercises, and he was the first man under 200 pounds to deadlift over 800 pounds) and some of them developed some impressive lats from just these and rows. Keep it strict - if Anello can do strict pulldowns with 1.5x his body weight, you can do a strict pulldown without heaving yourself into it.
    http://youtu.be/JEb-dwU3VF4

One-Arm Row - You'll notice there's no rep scheme for these other than AMRAP (As Many Reps as Possible). Though a favorite of a lot of powerlifters, this is one modern twist I decided to add. These are also called Kroc rows, so popularized by Matt/Janae Marie Kroczaleski. The idea is to pick a dumbbell of moderate weight and do 20+ reps with this weight per side. Once you can hit at least 20 reps, you can go up in weight. I feel these are superior to most one-arm row variations in that it is beneficial to the deadlift (it is an excellent grip and back exercise) as well as for hypertrophy purposes.
    http://youtu.be/huRihVbuQQY
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 06-11-2018 at 02:30 AM.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Now let's discuss rep scheme. You'll notice there's a few different rep schemes here. Let's cover them and I'll explain the rationale behind them.

For most of the exercises, you'll see 3x6, 1x6+. The idea is to pick a weight you can do 4 sets of 6 reps with. If you are a beginner, it is best to start off light and feel out the exercises until you find a comfortable working weight. I'd say roughly 50% of your body weight for the bench/ row/lat pulldown as a good starting point, and about 30% of your body weight for the press. These are rough estimates based on my individual experience and of working with others - individuals may vary. For the first three sets, you will perform 6 reps each work set. The final set is your money set. Your goal is to do as many reps as you can with that weight before you see your form falter. Be very conservative in this, as you'll see why in a moment. If you do 8 but see a break down in form, stick with 8 - don't try for 9. If you get greedy and start searching for extra reps of poor quality, you will significantly reduce your success on this program. Multiple sets of 6 reps were popular with a lot of lifters, but most specifically with Doug Young, whom this program is dedicated to. He favored multiple sets of 6 reps for all of his accessory work as well, feeling that it was the perfect combination for developing strength and size.

You'll notice for the squat and the deadlift the rep scheme is different: 5+-4-3-2-1. This is the old 5/4/3/2/1 system you'll often see mentioned and which is still popular since its introduction (which was at least in the 1960s from my limited research, if not earlier). Warm up accordingly, then in this instance the first set is your money set. Again aim for as many repetitions as you can successfully complete with good form. If your last rep falters even the slightest, don't go for another one. The deadlift especially will punish you if you push for more reps than you should. From here, each set you will add 10 pounds (though some trainees can add 15-20 pounds depending on their squatting proficiency) and drop one repetition. So if you squatted 300x5, your next four sets would be 310x4, 320x3, 330x2, 340x1. This approach is great for beginning powerlifters in my opinion as you do a hard volume set (the 5+ reps) then work your way up to a heavy single afterwards so you can get used to handling some heavier weight.

Now, the question of - what about progressing in weight? That's what the AMRAP set is for. For every rep over 6 for the 1x6+ exercises, you will add 5# to your work set the next time. For every rep UNDER 6, subtract 5# from your work set the next time. For every rep over 5 for the squat and deadlift, you will add 10# to your work set the next time. For every rep under, subtract 10#. Always subtract the weight. However, I would not add more than 10-15 pounds total to any of the 6+ exercises, or 20-30 pounds to the squat/deadlift in one session. Going higher tends to make the next session 6+ or 5+ set to fall short. For most folks, 10 and 20 is about right. This doesn't mean to skimp on your reps though - if you can do more than 7-8 reps, do more.

Bear with me, as this next part might get a bit technical. How does that work and what does it mean for you, the trainee? This is essentially a microcycle done workout to workout. It's understood that some days your body will be fresher and others more worn down just due to life. This program accounts for that. If you're having a rough week and do poorly one workout, the next will be a forced deload and let you accomodate for it. If you're feeling strong, you'll keep progressing. It's a mixture of volume work with a bit of intensity work thrown in, so you're working both size and strength at the same time (because, after all, this is a powerbuilding routine). In short, this is a simplified version of periodization that takes all the guesswork out of the equation. If you do more reps, you add weight - if you do less, you take off weight. This was both Young's offseason and contest preparation approach (though for contest prep he would alternate with 5x3 for the bench after a while and then eventually exclusively 5x3, but again doing as many reps as possible on the last set).
    I'll try to address a few questions people might have, if anyone has any more worth mentioning I will add them to here as they come in.

(1) Why only three days a week? I want to train more. - I want a Ferrari, but we can't always get what we want. Full body routines, done properly, are effective but tiring. If you tried to do this four, five, or even six times a week you will quickly learn the error of your ways. Effective training is different from overtraining simply because at some point there is diminishing returns. If you have a 12oz cup, you can only fill it up with water to 12oz - the extra few drops you can get in aren't worth all the waste of water. It's a lot more preferential to have a good workout and still feel good by the end of it than to wreck yourself and be sore by the next one. Fill up your cup, but don't go crazy. For the average beginner or intermediate (and even a lot of advanced trainees), three heavy full body workouts a week is plenty to grow on. For those who have their doubts, they need to look no further than Reg Park, Tommy Kono, Bill Starr, Paul Anderson, and the many many other strength and physique competitors who have trained in that same way.

(2) I'm the opposite, I can only train two days a week. - You can actually do well on twice a week, though not as optimal as three days a week the extra rest and recovery can actually be more beneficial for those bulking. If you are competitive in a sport or martial art, twice a week can be effective as it still gives you plenty of time to focus on your sport/art. Simply do Workout A one day, and then Workout B the other.

(3) I can't deadlift twice a week. - Some people might find this problem, typically more for intermediate or advanced lifters who are using a lot more weight than the average beginner. With a little modification though, this can work out easily. Simply do A-B-A each week, but make sure you alternate the press and bench so both get equal treatment (e.g. so one week you will bench/row/squat/chin-up on Monday, the next week you will press/row/squat/chin-up the next). You can alternate the rows and lat pulldowns, and the chin-ups and one-arm rows too if you wish - I prefer that personally.

(4) I can't squat heavy twice a week either. - This can happen with intermediate and advanced trainees who are moving impressive poundages. I recommend two approaches. The first is when you go to your second squat day of the week, to use front squats instead of back squats. This will still let you squat heavy, but not as much as back squats. If that is still too much, as an alternative you can back squat on the second day that week but instead only do 2 sets of 6 reps, with the last set being your AMRAP set as usual (but don't adjust for Monday's workout).

(5) Where’s [insert favorite accessory exercise]?? – A lot of people get obsessed with accessory work far before they should. If you’re building a house, don’t start throwing up windows before you even have the walls built. Most people will fare far better focusing on upping the weights of their main movements to see the growth they want. If you blast your arms the same day you bench, the next time you go to press, you might not make your target weight. In the long run, that’s only going to hinder your growth. Some of the biggest names in powerlifting rarely did any work outside of just squatting, benching, and deadlifting heavy and hard (for two examples, see Don Reinhoudt and Mark Chaillet).

(6) What about my guns, bro? – There isn’t any direct arm work in this program, but don’t think for a minute your arms won’t grow if you’re eating properly and training intensely. You’re pressing or benching every workout, which will aid in triceps growth. You’re also doing lots of back work with the rows, chin-ups, and pulldowns which will also aid in biceps growth. Get over your bodyweight on the majority of these exercises (or lots of strict reps with the chin-up) and you will see some improvement in your arms.

(7) OK, I’ve been doing this for a while. NOW can I add accessory movements? – After at least 12 weeks on this basic routine, you can start thinking about addressing lagging body parts for aesthetic purposes. I would focus on 1-2 areas tops (e.g. biceps and triceps) and alternate them each workout. So maybe after Day One you could add in skullcrushers, and after Day Two you could throw in EZ-bar curls. Keep the accessory work short (3 sets of 10 reps is ideal). You also don’t want it to be too taxing, so use some common sense. Doing Romanian deadlifts at the end of Day Two would probably be too much, same with leg presses on Day One. Switching them around, however, could be beneficial. Just take it slow with accessory work at first and assess as you go.

(8) I’m doing the routine, but it’s hard to eat enough. – It’s hard to squat several hundred pounds too. It all boils down to how bad you want it. If you think you can’t eat enough, read this and reassess your opinion. http://70sbig.com/blog/2009/10/if-yo...t-eat-the-man/

(9) What’s a good way to warm up for these? – Everyone has their own way of warming up, but I’ll share one I recommend and like. Let’s say you’re using 200 for your sets of six for the bench press. I would start off by using 100 (50%) of that weight for 5 reps. I ‘d then use 130 (65%) for a set of 3, and then finally 160 (80%) for a single. I typically only rest long enough between warm-up sets to change the plates and get settled for the next lift. Once I finish that final single is when I will rest the full rest period (e.g. typically 3 minutes for me).

Any other questions I’ll try to add in as we go.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 12-28-2015 at 09:03 AM.

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Digging it, especially the rep schemes and method of progression. How do you feel about alternating deadlifts with an other variation? Say with DL's and RDL's for instance.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

Originally Posted by FaIIen View Post
    Digging it, especially the rep schemes and method of progression. How do you feel about alternating deadlifts with an other variation? Say with DL's and RDL's for instance.
    For variety you could do RDLs, but I would probably use the 3x6, 1x6+ progression for those. That would be a good alternative for a B-A-B week in which you don't/can't deadlift on both days the same way. It will progress slower though. Or you can wait for when you can start adding accessory work and hit them on your squat days at the end.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 12-28-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Doug Young pump you up video for your viewing pleasure.

rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Might give this a go to get my strength back as I'm coming back from a couple injuries.

Originally Posted by rollalong View Post
    Might give this a go to get my strength back as I'm coming back from a couple injuries.
    Sounds great. Let me know how it goes, and PM me or hit me up on here if you need anything or have any questions.

Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000) Vpac is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    (6) What about my guns, bro? There isnt any direct arm work in this program, but dont think for a minute your arms wont grow if youre eating properly and training intensely. Youre pressing or benching every workout, which will aid in triceps growth. Youre also doing lots of back work with the rows, chin-ups, and pulldowns which will also aid in biceps growth. Get over your bodyweight on the majority of these exercises (or lots of strict reps with the chin-up) and you will see some improvement in your arms.
    Great write-up, but I respectfully disagree with the above regarding no direct arm work. Yes, arms will grow following the routine and eating properly, but the question is will they grow optimally and to the desired level of what most male trainees prefer - I'd say no. Performing direct arm work at the end of a workout, usually 2 different exercises for 2-3 sets x 8-12 reps will be sufficient and ensure your arms are not lagging behind.

rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rollalong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Vpac View Post
    Great write-up, but I respectfully disagree with the above regarding no direct arm work. Yes, arms will grow following the routine and eating properly, but the question is will they grow optimally and to the desired level of what most male trainees prefer - I'd say no. Performing direct arm work at the end of a workout, usually 2 different exercises for 2-3 sets x 8-12 reps will be sufficient and ensure your arms are not lagging behind.
    It's not a bad idea if only for a couple sets of higher reps. As long as weighted chins are going up and the lifter knows how to keep the elbows in and squeeze with the whole hand (ring and pinky get left out a lot which causes a big drop in bicep activation) the forearms and biceps can still grow pretty damn well, ime. So maybe pick the last day of the week for a couple higher rep sets like 12-15 reps, constant tension for a few sets wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it will make or break the program. Would definitely comfort the millions of neurotic beginners on this site haha.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting read. But I must admit I LOL'd @ "Matt/Janae Marie Kroczaleski".

Originally Posted by Vpac View Post
    Hence why after several weeks I have the accessory option if you so desire. Most folks will be much better off upping their rowing and pressing weights at the beginner stage while adding bodyweight initially. In #5 I explain why there's not a lot of accessory work in the beginning and in #7 I give an idea of how to work some in after a while.

In most cases, simply by adding bodyweight you will increase your arm size. One of the guys on this program right now is almost at 16 inches flexed, but he's also put on about 30 pounds over the past 6 months. The only real accessory work he's doing is kettlebells swings at the end of his workouts.

Originally Posted by scullin View Post
    Interesting read. But I must admit I LOL'd @ "Matt/Janae Marie Kroczaleski".
    I wasn't quite sure which to use, so I just went for both . Being PC is not one of my strong points typically.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wasn't quite sure which to use, so I just went for both
    Ya still can't comprehend that one myself.

IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks fun AF! But what do if I don't have a machine to do lat pulldowns or dumbbells for one arm rows?

IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IronKrazy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also a question on the S and D reps...

Say I started with 135lbs for 5+ reps with the squat on workout A. Would I start with 5-10lbs more, I.E 140lbs-145lbs for 5+ on the next session depending on how I feel?

Originally Posted by IronKrazy View Post
    Looks fun AF! But what do if I don't have a machine to do lat pulldowns or dumbbells for one arm rows?
    Pull-ups can be a good alternative instead of pulldowns. The main problem with pull-ups is volume. It's often hard to accumulate a lot of reps. So a good way to start would be to aim for a number (say 5 or 10 reps to start) and then do as many sets as it takes to reach that number. Once you can hit that required number in two sets (say 7 and 3), then the next time go for 15. If you are strong with pull-ups and have access to a dip belt, you can do weighted pull-ups with the same rep range.

For one-arm rows, you can use a barbell instead. Slide it into the corner, then use one arm to row with it like this video.

These are great questions though. I'm glad you like it, if you go for it definitely start a log and keep me posted. I'll be willing to help any way I can.

Originally Posted by IronKrazy View Post
    Also a question on the S and D reps...

Say I started with 135lbs for 5+ reps with the squat on workout A. Would I start with 5-10lbs more, I.E 140lbs-145lbs for 5+ on the next session depending on how I feel?
    It all depends on how many reps you do for that first set. The standard progression for beginners is 10 pounds for every rep above 5, capping it at +20 for one workout. If you do 7+ reps, you could start with 155 pounds the next time if you choose. If you want to be a bit more conservative, you could just add 10 and go for 145 for your first 5+ set.

Great thanks! I actually came across those "Lets Do 150,000 Reps" threads and wanted to join in. I did a set of 7 pull ups and then 8 more a bit later in a reply to a member. All are done fully extended as well. Although the rest time between sets was non existent, I believe I can at least do 3x6 of pull ups with a rest of 2-3 minutes. That next set may be questionable but that just means I keep doing it till I get past the 6th rep of set 4 and then as you say I can get a belt to add weight, or come up with something to be able to add weight to me lol.

Also yeah, I'm not one for thinking outside the box so that barbell in a corner deal is a perfect solution. I actually could get a landmine attachment from Rogue. I'm not sure if it will attach to my SML-2 but I could get the post version where I stick it into a stack of 45's so it won't move. I'd like to get a set of Olympic dumbbell handles at some point and some point soon so I can do other lifts.

http://www.roguefitness.com/landmines

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bumping this up. You've given me great adivice through the time ive been on these forums, and this is another great write up from you.
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    Bumping this up. You've given me great adivice through the time ive been on these forums, and this is another great write up from you.
    Thanks brother, I appreciate it. Krazy is actually running it, he had a good first week.

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    Agreed on the write up. I don't know why it caught my eye but it did and it is fun!

Thanks brother, I appreciate it. Krazy is actually running it, he had a good first week.
    Yes sir. Better than I expected, especially after the deadlift session lol.

This program has a lot to it and things to look forward to. Trying a certain weight for that first set of 5+ and ramping up to the 1RM, if possible. If not just drop it down 5-10lbs next session and try again. With the possible constant deloads and different reps and sets it's almost like "muscle confusion" baked right in. Set amount of reps, plus a set of AMRAP. Going higher in weight within each session for squats and deadlift. It just makes lifting more fun instead of the same, repetitive set/rep scheme every night with a set amount of weight. "Yay, I get to add another 5lbs 36hrs from now!". Not with this program.

Some may be able to handl emore than others but as far as accessory lifts, not going to happen unless it's on the off day(s). For me at least. In fact I felt a pump in almost every part of my body yesterday, including dem biceps. A few sets of 12-15 reps to blast the biceps and some ab work on off days maybe but I won't, not yet at least. I'm going to need every drop of energy to get through these sessions, whether it be 2 or 3 a week and it's hard enough with work kicking my ass for 12 hrs a day.

This program is going to test you. Period. And it's already testing me after just two sessions haha.

EDIT: I realize I may have gone full potato using the term "Muscle Confusion" lol!
    Last edited by IronKrazy; 01-15-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Grouchy, what would you think about changing the bench set/rep scheme to the one for skwatts and deadlift? Going for a 1RM twice a week on the bench may be a bit much but what if it was like this for the bench...

3 Days A Week - (Workout B) - Workout A - Bench - 5+ 4 3 2 1 (Workout B) * NEXT WEEK! * Workout A - Bench 3x6 - 1x6+ (Workout B) Workout A - Bench 3x6 - 1x6+

2 Days A Week - Workout A - Bench 5+ 4 3 2 1 (Workout B) * NEXT WEEK!* Workout A - 3x6 - 1x6+ (Workout B)

In all honesty there's no reason why you couldn't. The main reason why I prescribed 3x6, 1x6+ was because both Young and I feel it's the best combination of strength and mass.

When actually preparing for a meet, Young would use a 4x3, 1x3+ rep scheme. This let him go heavier so near the end of the cycle his last heavy triple before a meet was actually his opening weight. He would actually alternate the 5x3 with the 4x6 for four weeks, then move solely to the triples for the last four weeks.

Keep it at the 3x6, 1x6+ for a while to start but there's no law saying you can't try the 5+-4-3-2-1 for bench or press either. The only reason why I wouldn't alternate like Young did is simply because there is not as much frequency as he had (Young often benched up to three times a week when he was pushing for a new bench record).

Sounds good, thanks. Really I truly didn't want that to seem like "ugh he wants to change the program already?!" lol. Just that I like the idea of doing the 1 rep as the final set with a bit heavier weight and doing it for bench really sounded enticing. Though I'll stay with the 3x6-1x6+ for a while more and maybe do a 54321 just for fun at some point to see what it's like.

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bump
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

Snkifador has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Snkifador has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Grouchy. Far from a PL expert here but the write up looks great.

Lately I'd been wondering if rowing on both A and B workouts of typical beginner fullbody ABA routines was too much middle back frequency, especially considering the common chin- and pull-ups, but it looks like you're a fan of it.

Originally Posted by Snkifador View Post
    Hey Grouchy. Far from a PL expert here but the write up looks great.

Lately I'd been wondering if rowing on both A and B workouts of typical beginner fullbody ABA routines was too much middle back frequency, especially considering the common chin- and pull-ups, but it looks like you're a fan of it.
    Back and leg work in my opinion are the keys to a good program for adding mass as well as strength. I like the combination of heavy barbell rows one day and high rep one arm rows the next.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good wrote up, Opie.

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bumping this.. an amazing post that I haven't seen.

I'm gonna try this in the off-season because I'm currently in a season.. but it seems great really. Simple and effective.

Originally Posted by theFutureD View Post
    Bumping this.. an amazing post that I haven't seen.

I'm gonna try this in the off-season because I'm currently in a season.. but it seems great really. Simple and effective.
    Thanks! If you do, start a journal and let me know, I'll follow along.