Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The rows, pulldowns, and overhead presses will help your traps grow. If you want to add in more work for them during your accessory work phase, I would recommend dumbbell farmer's walks at the end of each workout.

rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpedrosb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Planning to start this the 1st September if I manage to get my knee fully recovered. I've stopped squatting for 2-3 months and it will also be 1 month since my last upper body workout.

Lifts before stopping:

Squat: 80x8 (175lbs) - 210lbs calculated 1MR
    Bench: 60x8 (130lbs) - 165lbs calculated 1RM
    Pendlay row: 55x8 (120lbs) - 150lbs calculated 1RM
    Shoulder press: 30x5 (55lbs) - 65lbs calculated RM (lift is weak because I just started doing it)

I have never done deadlifts.

What weight would you recommend me to start with for the compound lifts?

Thanks!

antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Grouchy I'll tell you what...I have been lifting for years and this is by far my favorite routine I have ever ran...love the pull to push ratio and have way healthier shoulders...favorite part is the squat and deadlift set/rep scheme..love that sh%t!...anyways I asked you previously if I could switch the ohp press to seated barbell press and you said that's fine...problem is my bench doesn't go 90 degrees..about a 75 degree incline is the best I could do...is that okay to do or no? Thanks again

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by antone315 View Post
    Grouchy I'll tell you what...I have been lifting for years and this is by far my favorite routine I have ever ran...love the pull to push ratio and have way healthier shoulders...favorite part is the squat and deadlift set/rep scheme..love that sh%t!...anyways I asked you previously if I could switch the ohp press to seated barbell press and you said that's fine...problem is my bench doesn't go 90 degrees..about a 75 degree incline is the best I could do...is that okay to do or no? Thanks again
    Great to hear! Glad you are enjoying it.

75 degrees is pretty darn close. Go for it.

antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antone315 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Great to hear! Glad you are enjoying it.

75 degrees is pretty darn close. Go for it.
    Alright thanks..im intrigued to see more routines by you...I'll share all my stats from start to end afterwards ...thanks again

whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000) whiskeyjackie is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm finishing week 3, and so far this program is great for my goals. My numbers are coming up and I feel less stress and pain in my joints.

Loving it.

Originally Posted by whiskeyjackie View Post
    I'm finishing week 3, and so far this program is great for my goals. My numbers are coming up and I feel less stress and pain in my joints.

Loving it.
    Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

Dralnor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, I really liked this routine. Last week I started Fierce 5 but now I'm really considering to drop it to run this one.

Originally Posted by Dralnor View Post
    Wow, I really liked this routine. Last week I started Fierce 5 but now I'm really considering to drop it to run this one.
    F5 is also a solid routine. There really is no magical program. It's just one that you like to do, can do consistently, and it's properly structured for growth and strength development. Add in good nutrition and recovery then you can make progress on any well-designed program.

F5 is also a solid routine. There really is no magical program. It's just one that you like to do, can do consistently, and it's properly structured for growth and strength development. Add in good nutrition and recovery then you can make progress on any well-designed program.
    Yeah, I agree with you, nutrition is key. However I'm finding really hard to stay on linear progression on caloric deficit. With the scheme you presented here I can adjust the weight each workout depending on my performance. Anyway, I will give it a try this week and see how it works.

Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raylan1246 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a beginner lifter. This program interests me. I am 6 foot. About 200 lbs. My goal is to get to 1000 lbs total with the big three while staying near the same weight. Once I get my barbell/rack setup I would like to give this a go. I won't have a lat pull down and cant do strict pull ups (no kip) I don't think.

Would this still be a good program for me?

Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drufeus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Raylan1246 View Post
    I am a beginner lifter. This program interests me. I am 6 foot. About 200 lbs. My goal is to get to 1000 lbs total with the big three while staying near the same weight. Once I get my barbell/rack setup I would like to give this a go. I won't have a lat pull down and cant do strict pull ups (no kip) I don't think.

Would this still be a good program for me?
    Get some bands to hang over top bar of rack to assist in pull ups or just to slow count deficit pull ups until you can. Dead hangs or chair method is good too. Heavy duty resistance bands would be your best bet. You can do this program easy with your setup.

Originally Posted by Drufeus View Post
    Get some bands to hang over top bar of rack to assist in pull ups or just to slow count deficit pull ups until you can. Dead hangs or chair method is good too. Heavy duty resistance bands would be your best bet. You can do this program easy with your setup.
    Good answer here. Slow negatives are the best way without bands. Jump with your pull-ups to get your chin over the bar and as slow as you can lower yourself back down. 3 sets of 3 reps like that is a good start.

Registered User yoloswagdubstep's Avatar
    yoloswagdubstep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What happens on squat deadlift if you get more than enough reps for the 5+ but you struggle with the 3/2/10 part? For example I do 255 for 7 reps, 265 for 4, but then 275 for only 2 and fail the 295. Deload?

Originally Posted by yoloswagdubstep View Post
    What happens on squat deadlift if you get more than enough reps for the 5+ but you struggle with the 3/2/10 part? For example I do 255 for 7 reps, 265 for 4, but then 275 for only 2 and fail the 295. Deload?
    Yes, I would deload back and build back up to it.

Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Started a workout journal in the journal section. First workout will be today!

Merisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let´s see if this is the cure for my ****arounditis. I´ve decided to take a pause from dieting, but haven´t been able to train consistently, switching from program to program.

If 12 weeks of powerbuilding doesn´t help, nothing will :-D
    -Not there yet.

Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sleepalot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Merisis View Post
    Let´s see if this is the cure for my ****arounditis. I´ve decided to take a pause from dieting, but haven´t been able to train consistently, switching from program to program.

I hope it is ;-). Just train consistently as you said you havent been able to. I hope it works for you! Maybe it helps if you start a workout journal. Maybe it motivates you to let others see you're doing well, and you can see your progress back. Good luck!
    Sleep's Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172303323

grouchyjarhead isn't 5 sets of heavy deadlift too much for a beginner? I'm asking because the majority of novice programs have only one or three heavy set.

I did my second Deadlift day today and it was "okay". I was struggling a little but could maintain proper form until I reached the single with 90kg...couldn't lift the bar from the floor lol and, at that time, I was almost seeing stars from the previous sets(which is an improvement since last thursday I almost blacked out on the single)...do you have any sugestions for deload scheme? Should I try with the same weight again? Maybe try using a belt?

Thanks in advance.
    Your routine is really great, my back is all swollen and my shoulders feel great.
    Last edited by Dralnor; 08-30-2016 at 09:42 AM.

gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50) gregtkeg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not grouchy, but I'd suggest doing one of two things: either deload the weight a bit (back off by 5-10 kg) or increase your rest times between deadlift sets. Maybe both.

I find the 5+-4-3-2-1 sets are fantastic for feeling that weight in your hands or on your back (depending on if it's a deadlift or a squat), but when the weights get heavy, I take as much time as I can between sets. Usually, doing it this way I've found that the heavy doubles or singles are actually a lot easier than the lighter 5+ set.

I agree with gregtkeg. First I would try having at least 2-3 minutes rest before performing the next set. If that does not help, try a deload.
    Sleep's Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172303323

I hope you enjoy it and stick with it.

grouchyjarhead isn't 5 sets of heavy deadlift too much for a beginner? I'm asking because the majority of novice programs have only one or three heavy set.

I did my second Deadlift day today and it was "okay". I was struggling a little but could maintain proper form until I reached the single with 90kg...couldn't lift the bar from the floor lol and, at that time, I was almosting seeing stars from the previous sets(which is an improvement since last thursday I almost blacked out on the single)...do you have any sugestions for deload scheme? Should I try with the same weight again? Maybe try using a belt?

Thanks in advance.
    Your routine is really great, my back is all swollen and my shoulders feel great.
    How much rest are you taking between sets? Typically when this happens you either started a bit too heavy or aren't resting enough between sets. 3 minutes tends to be my sweet spot. As Greg mentioned, if you need to take a bit more time, do so.

How much rest are you taking between sets? Typically when this happens you either started a bit too heavy or aren't resting enough between sets. 3 minutes tends to be my sweet spot. As Greg mentioned, if you need to take a bit more time, do so.
    Okay, I was resting only 2 minutes, but I will try to rest more time and see how things go.

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OK I read through this but I don't see the layout anywhere...did I miss it?

Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    OK I read through this but I don't see the layout anywhere...did I miss it?
    As one poster brought to my attention, the image host may not show up on all PCs/mobiles so I'll take the blame for that.

Here you go.

WORKOUT A.
    Bench Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Pendlay Row 3x6, 1x6+
    Back Squat 5+-4-3-2-1
    Chin-Ups 3x AMRAP

WORKOUT B.
    Press 3x6, 1x6+
    Deadlift 5+-4-3-2-1
    Lat Pulldowns 3x6, 1x6+
    One-Arm Rows 1-2x AMRAP

CharlesAKirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you so much for sharing. I will follow these tips and lets see how I can improve my self. You know Jim Rohn Said Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.

Merisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First week done, feels really good.

I've had quite some knee issues in the past (and still do...), so that's something I need to carefully monitor. So far, the amount of squatting seems to really hit the sweet spot between volume and intensity, so I think I'll be able to work around any potential issues and do the deadlifts and squats as written.

I will keep the progression conservative, at first, since I'm still trying to figure out my TDEE, and have no intention to get back any of that belly flab that I finally got rid of. Actually, there's still some cutting to do in that department, but I need some muscles before I start doing that again.
    -Not there yet.

Finished week 2 and feeling really great! This workout is doing wonders to my back, shoulders and posture!
    I want to stay with the program as written for 4 weeks, after that I will probably modify it a little. I want to improve my deadlift so I was wondering if it is worth to include an assistance exercise like Snatch Grip Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift on B-A-B weeks.
    Any thoughts? Thanks!

enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hey jarhead, I was on ICF 5x5 for a year and a half and then All Pro's for about a year. I haven't lifted since early june, classes and work getting in the way etc... Anyway as soon as i get a chance im gonna look further into your routine. Anything major things I need to know before going back after not having lifted 3.5 months? Btw my squat was around 200 and bench/row around 100lbs while on all pros. Im 16.5%bf. Quads already huge but lacking size in arms and chest.
    Starting Weight: 148lbs
    Texas Crew
    Self-Improvement Crew
    ************Misc Vigilante Crew - Social Network Justice Division (EST. AUG 2013)***********
    3x110x12 Bench
    3x200x12 Squat

Originally Posted by CharlesAKirk View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing. I will follow these tips and lets see how I can improve my self. You know Jim Rohn Said Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.
    Thank you and good luck.

First week done, feels really good.

I've had quite some knee issues in the past (and still do...), so that's something I need to carefully monitor. So far, the amount of squatting seems to really hit the sweet spot between volume and intensity, so I think I'll be able to work around any potential issues and do the deadlifts and squats as written.

I will keep the progression conservative, at first, since I'm still trying to figure out my TDEE, and have no intention to get back any of that belly flab that I finally got rid of. Actually, there's still some cutting to do in that department, but I need some muscles before I start doing that again.
    Glad to hear it. I've got some bad knees as well, so I'm in the same boat.

Finished week 2 and feeling really great! This workout is doing wonders to my back, shoulders and posture!
    I want to stay with the program as written for 4 weeks, after that I will probably modify it a little. I want to improve my deadlift so I was wondering if it is worth to include an assistance exercise like Snatch Grip Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift on B-A-B weeks.
    Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Awesome. And Romanian deadlifts are a great accessory exercise to add on squat days. 3 sets of 10 reps is ideal.

Originally Posted by enr33 View Post
    hey jarhead, I was on ICF 5x5 for a year and a half and then All Pro's for about a year. I haven't lifted since early june, classes and work getting in the way etc... Anyway as soon as i get a chance im gonna look further into your routine. Anything major things I need to know before going back after not having lifted 3.5 months? Btw my squat was around 200 and bench/row around 100lbs while on all pros. Im 16.5%bf. Quads already huge but lacking size in arms and chest.
    I would start off light then, using the beginner recommendations to give yourself time to grow. Don't be too concerned about the light weights at first, just progress normally and soon you'll be exceeding those numbers quickly.