Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    erknup is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This program looks really interesting, been trying stronglifts on and off a few times but I found that the volume of squatting was way too taxing. I like the idea of working up to a one rep max with squats and deadlifts because in the stronglifts program I always started struggling to get 5 reps on the last sets. I have some questions though, first off did you see sufficient ab development on this program or is additional ab work needed (on off days for example). I noticed on stronglifts that I didn't feel my abs like I would if I target them directly and even though I'm pretty skinny my abs are not visible. Also I would like to know if you can recommend a mobility/flexibility workout to do on off days specifically for legs and shoulders.

I will start this program tomorrow and I hope to see some great results for it, been looking for a good program for a while and tried making some myself but couldn't get myself to stick with it. Programs like stronglifts seem to get too taxing too quickly and bodybuilding style programs seem to have too many exercises to really progress, this looks like it's right there in between in the sweet spot for me.

musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000) musclehead09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    If you’re seeing the results you want with Greyskull stick with it. If not you can try this if you’d like.
    When I was a beginner I ran SS and GSLP both for 6 months. GSLP was better than SS IMO but when I had a few layoffs I found this program and used it to regain a baseline of strength multiple times. Loved it!
    Lifetime PR's

Squat 445 w/ wraps (405 raw no wraps)
    Competition Bench 275
    Deadlift 435

Training Log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177139451

august0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds like a very fun routine! Going to start it tomorrow. However, I have a question. When I am squatting heavy weights (low bar), my squats turn into good morning squats, my hips shoot up and my back does almost all of the movement. I read at some sources that this is probably caused by weak quads. What do you think if I add Front Squats to this routine to strengthnen my quads and alternate between them, regular Squats and Deadlifts? For example: Mon - Squat Wed - Front Squat Fri - Deadlift. The remaining lifts I would alternate A-B like I would do normally. Would my squats and deadlifts suffer too much from only having a 1x/week frequency?

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lower the weight and take the time to get your form down would be my advice.

august0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Guess I will just lower the weight and switch to high bar, as it feels more natural to me. Thanks!

Gator1212 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quick question on progressing in weight/microcycles. With bench press, for example, if I don't hit 6 reps in those first 3 work sets, how much weight should I decrease next workout? So if I hit something like 6, 4, 3, 2 for my 4 sets of bench, would I just decrease 20lbs (6-4=2 for money set) or more bc I didn't hit 6 for all my 3 work sets?

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Usually this happens if you go too heavy to start but I’ve seen it pop up once or twice in the middle of a block. Lower the weight by the amount of reps on your last set as you mentioned.

Gator1212 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Usually this happens if you go too heavy to start but I’ve seen it pop up once or twice in the middle of a block. Lower the weight by the amount of reps on your last set as you mentioned.
    Thanks grouchy, will do. Been loving the routine so far, I’m on week 6 right now. If I started too heavy, should I just push forward and lower reps of last set or do some kind of larger deload? Appreciate the input

GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi @grouchyjarhead,

I changed to your routine 3 months ago, yet I face the same problem that I had with my last one: I can't break the 70kg mark for the bench press, before I was lifting 4 sets of 10reps, now I am doing as you suggested 4 sets of 6 reps, but I can't add any weight. My weight is actually 70kg, not sure if that has something to do with it. But what would you suggest to try to be able to lift more. (The same happens with the other press exercise, I can't add any more weight, I tried many times and I can't get to 6, so I reduce the weight next time and try again...)

Thanks!

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    just started week three of this after having taken a long layoff from training. Started extra light, like 135 bench light - been hitting 10s on all my + sets but still only jumping 10lbs (did do two 20lbs jumps on bench and row just because of easier plate math but overall it is not my intention)
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by GonzaloSP View Post
    Hi @grouchyjarhead,

I changed to your routine 3 months ago, yet I face the same problem that I had with my last one: I can't break the 70kg mark for the bench press, before I was lifting 4 sets of 10reps, now I am doing as you suggested 4 sets of 6 reps, but I can't add any weight. My weight is actually 70kg, not sure if that has something to do with it. But what would you suggest to try to be able to lift more. (The same happens with the other press exercise, I can't add any more weight, I tried many times and I can't get to 6, so I reduce the weight next time and try again...) Thanks!
    Sorry I missed this earlier. How long have you been stuck at trying to bench 70kg? How confident do you feel about your form? How do you feel when you approach the bar?

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    just started week three of this after having taken a long layoff from training. Started extra light, like 135 bench light - been hitting 10s on all my + sets but still only jumping 10lbs (did do two 20lbs jumps on bench and row just because of easier plate math but overall it is not my intention)
    Lighter is always better to start, I hope you enjoy it.

GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry I missed this earlier. How long have you been stuck at trying to bench 70kg? How confident do you feel about your form? How do you feel when you approach the bar?
    Hi @grouchyjarhead,

I have been stuck at trying to bench 70kg for 2 years. I feel quite confident about my form, I watched a lot of videos and, in the past, a trainer corrected my form. I feel quite confident when approaching the bar, I would said my chest is my muscle group more developed.
    Following your routine I can bench 76kg 6 reps but only 2 or 3 sets. But as I said, it is more or less the same weight than before because I was 4/5 sets of 10 reps with 70kg.
    What would you recommend?

Thanks for your time!

Originally Posted by GonzaloSP View Post
    Hi @grouchyjarhead,

I have been stuck at trying to bench 70kg for 2 years. I feel quite confident about my form, I watched a lot of videos and, in the past, a trainer corrected my form. I feel quite confident when approaching the bar, I would said my chest is my muscle group more developed.
    Following your routine I can bench 76kg 6 reps but only 2 or 3 sets. But as I said, it is more or less the same weight than before because I was 4/5 sets of 10 reps with 70kg.
    What would you recommend?

Thanks for your time!
    Start a thread in the Exercises forum and share some video of you benching from the side. Two years stuck at a bodyweight bench is unusual so let’s see your form first.

Start a thread in the Exercises forum and share some video of you benching from the side. Two years stuck at a bodyweight bench is unusual so let’s see your form first.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I recorded a video, but t doesn't allow me to post it because I am under 50 posts

SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Is the thought that abs are adequately covered by the compounds? Or something we should add?
    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    just finished week six - been going GREAT - I really appreciate the flexibility it allows, I often take two days between sessions due to my work schedule, kid schedule, etc - couple times I took 4-5 days between sessions (that's more out of laziness).

But it's really interesting to see the ups and downs. Benched 225 - all sets were grinders. Only hit 7 on the 6+ set, that was my first time not hitting 10 on the 6+ so I only jumped five lbs. Hit 230 for 10 on the 6+ on Saturday night, and they felt relatively easy. Keep in mind, my all time PR was 270, so pretty happy with this progress. Gotta start tracking my food to see the impact.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Originally Posted by SuperTune View Post
    Is the thought that abs are adequately covered by the compounds? Or something we should add?
    Yes, but if you want to throw some planks in here and there probably not a bad idea.

just finished week six - been going GREAT - I really appreciate the flexibility it allows, I often take two days between sessions due to my work schedule, kid schedule, etc - couple times I took 4-5 days between sessions (that's more out of laziness).

But it's really interesting to see the ups and downs. Benched 225 - all sets were grinders. Only hit 7 on the 6+ set, that was my first time not hitting 10 on the 6+ so I only jumped five lbs. Hit 230 for 10 on the 6+ on Saturday night, and they felt relatively easy. Keep in mind, my all time PR was 270, so pretty happy with this progress. Gotta start tracking my food to see the impact.
    Great progress, nice work.

pagaru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This looks amazing.

Have been looking for a program that’s good for strength where I don’t have to squat three times per week like sl and ss.

Just decided with some friends to do a strength competition (between 6 of us) based on the exercises from something called fitnessfive.

Competition is october 5th. Gives me 5 months.

Gonna use this program to try to win it. Will start a journal here and log progress.

Thanks for this!

Great progress, nice work.
    thanks - hope you have something to keep this going when linear progression stops working
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Originally Posted by pagaru View Post
    This looks amazing.

Have been looking for a program that’s good for strength where I don’t have to squat three times per week like sl and ss.

Just decided with some friends to do a strength competition (between 6 of us) based on the exercises from something called fitnessfive.

Competition is october 5th. Gives me 5 months.

Gonna use this program to try to win it. Will start a journal here and log progress.

Thanks for this!
    Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it.

thanks - hope you have something to keep this going when linear progression stops working
    It depends on your goals. I have an intermediate method based off of the Waterbury method I like. If it's just to keep getting strong while doing other activities, Tactical Barbell has some great templates - that's mostly what I use now.

It depends on your goals. I have an intermediate method based off of the Waterbury method I like. If it's just to keep getting strong while doing other activities, Tactical Barbell has some great templates - that's mostly what I use now.
    I definitely like the look of the 10x3 program you have - but I am thinking I should stay on full body.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

I definitely like the look of the 10x3 program you have - but I am thinking I should stay on full body.
    Milk linear progression as long as you can.

Milk linear progression as long as you can.
    that's the plan
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Personally, I prefer cycles or 10x10 (Deutch program), also don't do more than 5 reps

Benny6412 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How could you modify this to exclude deadlifts due to back injuries?

Originally Posted by Benny6412 View Post
    How could you modify this to exclude deadlifts due to back injuries?
    You could substitute the trap bar deadlift or use sumo depending on your back injuries. I have to currently avoid heavy deadlifts due to some back issues myself but I have no problem doing cleans right now and can use sumo for lighter weights.

Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100) Pregily is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hei there!

How often do I need to change my routine?