Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    redigneous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have to read this through and see the stuff I need to tweak for myself to make more efficient.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mikey2983 View Post
    hey man, just had a read through this and gonna give it a go for a new routine. just wondering whats your views on doing some form of cardio/circuits a couple of times a week on the days between work days?
    It depends on your goals. For most guys, you don't need a ton of conditioning for your day to day. As Justin Lascek likes to say, "keep your conditioning short and hard - just like your pecker." 15 minutes of high intensity stuff is plenty - sprints and the like. If you're doing a lot of calisthenics in between though, probably not optimal. If you really want to do that, save it for the last workout of the week (e.g. on Saturday after you've done all three sessions for the week).

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LieutenantDan95 View Post
    Been doing this workout for a couple of months now and my weights have been going up a lot, really impressed with this routine.

However, for the lat pulldowns, I have reached the last plate that starts going up like 20 pounds. Right now I’m doing 135lbs for lats but the plates go from like 122lbs-148lbs or something like that. I can add 5lbs with the extra plate but that’s it. How should I go about this? Just suck it up and jump ahead 20 something pounds or should I just keep adding more reps? If so, how many reps.

My last question is if I fail on the 5+ set and only get 5 or 4, do I keep lifting that same prescribed weight for that day? Or lower it for that day? I know you lower it for the next time but what about the weight on the day you failed?
    If the 20 pound jumps on your lat pulldown are making it too hard to jump in between, you can keep the same weight until you can hit 12+ on your final set. That means a 20 pound jump next time, which should get you pretty close.

If you get less than 5, penalize yourself that workout. If you get exactly 5, use the same weights you were going for - you just get punished by having to repeat it next time.

Registered User LieutenantDan95's Avatar
    LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What if I fail my 3rd set on deadlifts? I got 7, 4, then only 2 instead of 3 on my 3rd set. What do I lift for my last two sets? Or do I just penalize my workout. I have a problem with my grip and the bar keeps slipping out from under me. Hopefully the Kroc rows will start to help soon

noah977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey! This routine looks amazing, definitely looks like something i've been keeping my eyes out for. I just come with two questions.
    For workout A, would it be fine to add in either Reverse Flyes or Facepulls? I've dealt with bad shoulders in the past so i thought some light-weight rear delt work could be fine, unless you believe it might interfere with recovery

And for workout B, would it be fine to add some lat raises? Just for bro-purposes honestly hehe

I have not yet run this specific program, but I have run other 5x5 programs in the past if that changes anything.

What if I fail my 3rd set on deadlifts? I got 7, 4, then only 2 instead of 3 on my 3rd set. What do I lift for my last two sets? Or do I just penalize my workout. I have a problem with my grip and the bar keeps slipping out from under me. Hopefully the Kroc rows will start to help soon
    If you fail on your third deadlift set, I wouldn't add more weight until you can finish all of the sets personally. Are you using a mixed grip?

Originally Posted by noah977 View Post
    Hey! This routine looks amazing, definitely looks like something i've been keeping my eyes out for. I just come with two questions.
    For workout A, would it be fine to add in either Reverse Flyes or Facepulls? I've dealt with bad shoulders in the past so i thought some light-weight rear delt work could be fine, unless you believe it might interfere with recovery

And for workout B, would it be fine to add some lat raises? Just for bro-purposes honestly hehe

I have not yet run this specific program, but I have run other 5x5 programs in the past if that changes anything.
    If you want a good lightweight prehab/rehab routine for shoulders, adding this after every bench day is probably not a bad idea.

As for adding anything else, give it a month or two to get used to the workload and then you can adjust accordingly.

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    If you want a good lightweight prehab/rehab routine for shoulders, adding this after every bench day is probably not a bad idea.

As for adding anything else, give it a month or two to get used to the workload and then you can adjust accordingly.
    Hey man, thanks for the quick answer, will definitely do that shoulder routine!
    Also, I've really tried getting into one arm DB rows but they just feel super awkward. Would it be fine removing them from workout B and just adding another set of chinups for workout A?

Give it time and keep plugging away on it. It's a really beneficial exercise. Like "jacked back, strong grip, big deadlift" beneficial.

Registered User LieutenantDan95's Avatar
    LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LieutenantDan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you fail on your third deadlift set, I wouldn't add more weight until you can finish all of the sets personally. Are you using a mixed grip?
    No I was using the hook grip I think it’s called, with my thumbs tucked in under my fingers.

No I was using the hook grip I think it’s called, with my thumbs tucked in under my fingers.
    Try a mixed grip next time.

Give it time and keep plugging away on it. It's a really beneficial exercise. Like "jacked back, strong grip, big deadlift" beneficial.
    gotcha, i'll persevere!
    Any approximate length of time a beginner should be running this program? Basically is this more of a 12week program, or can this be run up to an entire year for a novice?

Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reznovan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can I do weighted pullups instead of lat pulldowns? Also if I fail on the one rep max set of an exercise, do I attempt the same weight the next session, or do I deload and work my way up again?

Originally Posted by Reznovan View Post
    Can I do weighted pullups instead of lat pulldowns? Also if I fail on the one rep max set of an exercise, do I attempt the same weight the next session, or do I deload and work my way up again?
    You can, but unless you're really strong you might not get as much out of it. Vince Anello felt the key accessory exercise for the deadlift was the lat pulldown. He was known for using the entire weight on the machine (300 pounds) in super strict form for repetitions as an under-200 lifter. First man under 200 to deadlift 800 pounds.

Deload.

GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Triceps?

Hey @grouchyjarhead,

Thanks for putting this routine up. I have been training for 2+ years but not achieving real progress, also a year ago a hit a plateau that I hope to overcome with this routine.
    So, I decide to go back to a basic routine given by someone who knows, so here I am.
    Today I began and my only worry is the following, I developed my triceps quite a bit with specific exerises such as skull crusher, etc. do you think my triceps will lose strengh and volume if I don't hit them directly with one or two exercises? (I have been training triceps for 2 years)

Thank you for your time!

Originally Posted by GonzaloSP View Post
    Hey @grouchyjarhead,

Thanks for putting this routine up. I have been training for 2+ years but not achieving real progress, also a year ago a hit a plateau that I hope to overcome with this routine.
    So, I decide to go back to a basic routine given by someone who knows, so here I am.
    Today I began and my only worry is the following, I developed my triceps quite a bit with specific exerises such as skull crusher, etc. do you think my triceps will lose strengh and volume if I don't hit them directly with one or two exercises? (I have been training triceps for 2 years)

Thank you for your time!
    How much do you currently bench and press overhead?

fenrir88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If i fail a rep on this program, do i give it 2-3 workouts with the same weight before i subtract the weight or do i just subtract the weight immediatly the next time?
    Last edited by fenrir88; 01-22-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Originally Posted by fenrir88 View Post
    If i fail a rep on this program, do i give it 2-3 workouts with the same weight before i subtract the weight or do i just subtract the weight immediatly the next time?
    Immediately the next time.

GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10) GonzaloSP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How much do you currently bench and press overhead?
    Bench press 172 and overhead 93.
    BTW today I completed for first time workout A and B I really like this routine. Again, thanks!

Registered User thatgingerbeard's Avatar
    thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatgingerbeard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My gym only has a lat pull down that goes up to 92 lbs and I need at least 150 to be able to even start the program. Is it already to substitute wide grip pull ups?

Originally Posted by GonzaloSP View Post
    Bench press 172 and overhead 93.
    BTW today I completed for first time workout A and B I really like this routine. Again, thanks!
    Kilos or pounds? If pounds, your triceps won't be lacking if you add a fair bit of weight to either of those.

Originally Posted by thatgingerbeard View Post
    My gym only has a lat pull down that goes up to 92 lbs and I need at least 150 to be able to even start the program. Is it already to substitute wide grip pull ups?
    If you don't have a lat pulldown, pull-ups are definitely the next best thing. Keep it in the same rep range so you might need to add some weight eventually if you're already knocking out good reps. If not, you've got some work to do unfortunately.

Originally Posted by braelfergo View Post
    Can you check my stat and tell me what's the best workout program for me? Thanks.
    Whichever workout program looks the most fun and the most likely you are to stick to. That's the "secret" for anyone.

Originally Posted by noah977 View Post
    gotcha, i'll persevere!
    Any approximate length of time a beginner should be running this program? Basically is this more of a 12week program, or can this be run up to an entire year for a novice?
    Sorry I overlooked this. Run it as long as you can - once you are stuck at similar weights for several workouts or it feels like a grind each and every time, it's time to go beyond linear progression.

JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Honestly if you just figure out your macronutrients and eat at maintenance, you'll probably trim up fairly quickly without having to do cardio. If you do, I'd keep it light and easy - you should be able to talk while doing it without much trouble.
    this would be be pretty nice for me then if true, I also have a quick question,
    Since I’m changing the program I’m running do I want to stick with the same work weights from my last program (PowerliftingToWinNovice) ?
    Squat 225 - 2x5
    Bench 165 - 3x5
    Deadlift 285x3+

Or should I drop more weight and work my way back up to adjust to this program ? Let’s say should I start at
    Squat - 195x5+, 205x4, 215x3, 225x2, 235x1

Bench - 150 - 3x6 , 1x6+

Deadlift - 225x5+, 235x4, 245x3, 255x2 265x1

Or would I want to go lower ?
    My 1RM on those lifts are Squat - 261lbs / Bench -
    211lbs / Deadlift 335lbs
    Last edited by JakeNoSnake98; 02-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Originally Posted by JakeNoSnake98 View Post
    this would be be pretty nice for me then if true, I also have a quick question,
    Since I’m changing the program I’m running do I want to stick with the same work weights from my last program (PowerliftingToWinNovice) ?
    Squat 225 - 2x5
    Bench 165 - 3x5
    Deadlift 285x3+

Or should I drop more weight and work my way back up to adjust to this program ? Let’s say should I start at
    Squat - 195x5+, 205x4, 215x3, 225x2, 235x1

Bench - 150 - 3x6 , 1x6+

Deadlift - 225x5+, 235x4, 245x3, 255x2 265x1

Or would I want to go lower ?
    My 1RM on those lifts are Squat - 261lbs / Bench -
    211lbs / Deadlift 335lbs
    Definitely start lighter. If those are your 1RMs, you're going to want to start a fair bit lighter. Ideally starting 10-15% off of what you used to do your work sets of 5 with would probably be better. You'll get back there quickly.

Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hombre7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looking to begin a novice routine. Have a few years of on and off training not completely structured and going off my own plans. I'm between this plan and Fierce 5. Love the rep scheme and workouts on this one but think id benefit from linear progression like F5. Would love any input or advice, thanks!

JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JakeNoSnake98 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Hombre7 View Post
    Looking to begin a novice routine. Have a few years of on and off training not completely structured and going off my own plans. I'm between this plan and Fierce 5. Love the rep scheme and workouts on this one but think id benefit from linear progression like F5. Would love any input or advice, thanks!
    This is linear progression, with the added benefit you’re not stuck to a weekly protocol. Read the rep to weight progression protocal

rkeck515 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey grouchy ive been running greyskull for about 4 months on a cut would i see much difference switching to this program i like the way its put together but just curious of your opinion of wether to stay on gslp or maybe change to this program

Originally Posted by rkeck515 View Post
    Hey grouchy ive been running greyskull for about 4 months on a cut would i see much difference switching to this program i like the way its put together but just curious of your opinion of wether to stay on gslp or maybe change to this program
    If you’re seeing the results you want with Greyskull stick with it. If not you can try this if you’d like.