jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Candito's 6 Week Advanced Bench Program [Results + Review]

Spreadsheet and Program Write-Up can be found on his website: http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/

Starting BW: 198lbs
    Ending BW: 200lbs

Starting 1RM: 195lbs
    Desired 1RM from Beginning: 210lbs
    Ending 1RM: 225lbs

Results: +30lbs PR, +2lbs BW

Accessory Lifts: Close Grip Bench, Standing OHP

I'm definitely not an advanced lifter, let alone in the bench press. However, I obtained great results with Candito's 6 Week Intermediate Program (which incorporates all 3 lifts), so I trusted his bench specific program would help me as well.

Quick Overview

The program has you benching for 5 days straight with 2 days rest for the first 3 weeks. Everyday is a 3x3 rep scheme, with the sets/rep scheme in parentheses only being on the 1st day of that week:

Week 1: 3x3 @70%
    Week 2: (1x3 @87.5%) 3x3 @75%
    Week 3: (1x3 @90%) 3x3 @75-80%

Week 4-6 has you benching 2 days (not straight) per week:

Week 4: Day 1 - 10x3 @87.5-90%; Day 2 - 10x3 @90-97.5%
    Week 5: Day 1 - 3x3 @95-97.5%; Day 2 - Test new 5RM
    Week 6: Day 1 - High Pin Press 3x3; Day 2 - Test new 1RM

That's just a basic overview of the bench work, but the accessory work can be found by viewing the program spreadsheet.

Criticism

Bottom line, I loved running this program. I experienced an increase in my 1RM for bench, as well as rep PR's for my CG bench and standing OHP. The high volume work in the first 3 weeks really pushed me to focus on form, and by the time I reached the latter weeks I felt as if I was prepared to tackle the higher weights.

Perhaps the most useful asset in this program was the addition of pin presses. I had never done a pin press up until this point, but now that I have I realize their benefits. I was generally weak off the chest, so doing low pin presses helped me focus more on exploding off the bottom and letting the triceps carry me to lockout. The high pin presses gave my CNS (and my tendons) an idea of what the heavier weights would feel like in my hands, and also helped me focus on the lockout portion.

I had a desired max of +15lbs from my original 1RM and I ended up with +30lbs. Very happy with the results; I definitely reccommend advanced and intermediate lifters to give this program a shot.
    385/245/500

NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm curious when you run a bench program or squat/deadlift program. What is your routine for the other lifts? Do you have to find something that compliments or works around the bench schedule, or do you have separate individual programs for all three?

Oh and btw when I posted a topic about benching 5x per week everyone said my shoulders would disintegrate unless I did an equal amount of rowing between sets and even then they would probably explode

jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jugulaur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NotThatUgly View Post
    I'm curious when you run a bench program or squat/deadlift program. What is your routine for the other lifts? Do you have to find something that compliments or works around the bench schedule, or do you have separate individual programs for all three?

Oh and btw when I posted a topic about benching 5x per week everyone said my shoulders would disintegrate unless I did an equal amount of rowing between sets and even then they would probably explode
    I ran the squat and DL workouts in his 6 week intermediate program alongside the 6 week advanced bench program. If I ever ran across the problem where a high intensity squat/DL day collided with a high intensity bench day (happened twice), I just moved the squat/DL day to the next day.

My shoulders experienced discomfort when I ran smolov jr. before, so I too was concerned about benching 5x a week on this program. It's explained more in Candito's explanation of the program, but the first 3 weeks are mainly to get your body used to the fatigue of benching with a lot of volume. The intensity isn't necessarily high, so you'll find that your shoulders will be able to manage.
    385/245/500

zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) zajicekg32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NotThatUgly View Post

I only bench 3x a week but with a pretty high amount of volume and my shoulders are fine. As long as you're setting up right and retracting your scapula, and that you don't have an excessive flare you should be alright. Also I've noticed that doing face pulls 1-2x per week have kept my shoulders feeling good, or at least for assurance. I also do shoulder dislocates with a band as my warm up so that could be considered too.
    Training Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxf78uRpNKvsg6Z-TP5AADw

vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what exercise did you do first ? bench or squat/dl ?

Originally Posted by vitinhoamorim1 View Post
    what exercise did you do first ? bench or squat/dl ?
    Never did all 3 lifts on the same day always moved the squat/DL day ahead if they collided.
    385/245/500

vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitinhoamorim1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jugulaur View Post
    Never did all 3 lifts on the same day always moved the squat/DL day ahead if they collided.
    what about the first 3 weeks that has a 5 days straight bench ?

Originally Posted by vitinhoamorim1 View Post
    what about the first 3 weeks that has a 5 days straight bench ?
    My fault, I should've clarified I never did all 3 when they were all high intensity days. Since the first 3 weeks are relatively light (sub 75%) for bench, I did the squat/DL workouts first and then carried on with the bench + accessories. I actually felt better going into bench after doing squats since my glutes were warmed up; it felt like I was getting more from leg drive.
    385/245/500

Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serb404 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks for the help guys!

maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maingains is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    why you running an advanced program with a 195 pound bench?