Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Registered User BB-archeologist's Avatar
    BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1/23/16

Weekly Weigh-in: 198.8 lbs.

Weighed-in at 198.8, which is down another 0.8 lbs. from last week. I was a bit surprised that I lost anything because 1) I did almost no cardio this week, and 2) on Tuesday I took the family out to Seward and we smashed a huge lunch at this amazing seafood joint right on the Alaskan coast, so I will take it given the circumstances. I'm going to keep everything the same nutrition-wise, but I will need to button down on my cardio-game this week to keep moving in the right direction.

Today I am off from the gym, but I'm going to take the kid and dog out for a nice long hike this afternoon. Think we'll go explore the Knik River and see what kind of trouble we can find.

As always, tonight will be my "open window," and the lineup of goodies on the docket includes:

-Pizza and wings from the Great Alaskan Pizza Company
    -100 Grand bars left over from last week
    -Chocolate Milk
    -Americone Dream Ben and Jerry's
    -Sour Patch Kids

You can bet your bottom dollar that I will be a happy camper this evening.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

"Flannel is more than a material, it's a lifestyle."

BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10) BB-archeologist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks to a little outside encouragement, I have decided to post a piece I wrote about a year ago discussing "Why Bodybuilding." This is why I do it. If you have a few free moments, it may be worth a read. Perhaps you can relate.

Why Bodybuilding?
    By Caine L. Daugherty
    February, 2015

Why bodybuilding? I get this inquiry quite often. People hear through the grapevine that I am a competitive bodybuilder and the suppositions start swirling around wildly in their minds. Despite caution against it, most folks still judge a book by its cover so I can see in their eyes the questions being formulated and the inferences they draw. Most instinctively assume that I am just some thick-skulled, narcissistic meathead who prefers spending my time flexing in the mirror and calling people “Bro” all day long. They think that I’m shallow, vain, egotistical, supercilious, uneducated, and ill-informed. One could probably make a strong argument that all of those notions are true to some degree but, as is often the case, the answer to the question of “Why Bodybuilding?” runs far deeper than that. Plus, I am more of a “Dude” man myself, and flexing is really only a tiny fraction of the bodybuilding lifestyle.

Now, I will readily confess that I like being strong, powerful, and even “ripped,” as the kids say. I am not too proud to admit it. I enjoy the finer things in life, like filling out t-shirts, picking up heavy **** and setting it back down, and, yes, even hitting a couple bicep shots in the mirror from time to time. And it is unequivocally true that when you look good – when you feel confident in your own skin – you feel good, too. You carry yourself differently and project a more robust aura onto those you meet. Sure, competitive bodybuilding takes this concept to the extreme, but what else can I say? If feeling this way is wrong then I don’t want to be right. But these relatively superficial side effects really only scratch the surface of the true answer to the loaded question of “Why Bodybuilding?”

First off, the absolute number one reason that I work out consistently and keep myself in peak physical condition lies in the long-term health implications gleaned from a healthy lifestyle. This aspect should be a clear no-brainer. Routine exercise plus a well-balanced diet equals longevity and all-around health. Everyone wants to spend a fortune looking for the fountain of youth, but the secret to living long and feeling young while doing it lies in habitual physical exercise. The human body was meant to move and there is nothing more conducive to improved health than physical fitness and a nutritious palate.

I know that every time I train, I am making an investment not only in my future, but in the future of my family and everyone else I hold dear. People depend on me and I am no good to anyone holed up in hospital bed or chilling in a coffin. Thus, it my responsibility to stick around and remain a somewhat useful human being. The way I look at it, after each workout is in the books, I get that much closer to being able to be around to see my daughter grow up and go off to college, and I am one step closer to being there to walk her down the aisle someday. This fact alone is worth every ounce of time and effort to me.

Plus, when I’m old, retired, and mildly senile, I want to be capable of actually somewhat enjoying my golden years. What is the point of working your ass off your whole life and then dying two weeks after your retirement party? When I officially enter the realm of a crusty old fart, I want to have the physical capacity to go out and do all the things I’ve always dreamed of, instead of simply wasting away and prolonging some extensive slow death. If it means sacrificing some time to go to the gym now to make that happen, in my eyes, it is well-worth the tradeoff. Believe it or not we all have a choice: You can be old, weak, and frail, or you can be old, resilient and strong. Since I have to get old either way, I want to go into my twilight with some meat on my bones, a functional physique, and a little bit of strength to boot. It is my firm belief that building my body now will help me down the line to make the most out of the rotten situation that is aging.

But for me adhering to a fitness-centered, bodybuilding lifestyle goes well beyond just longevity and the ****tic advantages. Rigorous physical exercise is the best way to keep the mind sharp and regulate one’s psychological equilibrium. In other words, training balances me out. If I’m having a rough go of it and things appear bleak, a strong squat session puts everything back into proper perspective. When I’m frustrated and angry, training levels off my aggression. I have a strict rule that whenever I am pissed off and on the verge of laying into someone, I go to the gym and get a brutal session in. If I am somehow still ticked enough to chew someone’s ass after that, I will let them have it. Usually, though, I am able to clear the fog from my brain and see the situation in a new, more reasonable light. I think this strategy has saved many a relationship, along with my reputation as a rationally thinking individual, on more than one occasion. Likewise, when I’m feeling great, things are peachy, and I am loving life, a good workout just adds to my sense of delight. Whatever the situation, I always find that I can think more clearly and competently after a solid hour under the bar, and I can sift more easily through the nonsense of the day.

Additionally, weight training makes you good at doing tough things. Bodybuilding constructs a resilient character that embraces challenges, as opposed to avoiding them. There is nothing easy about sticking to your regimen and continually pushing yourself to new heights. It can be tedious, annoying, and downright frustrating. But guess what? So are a lot of things in life. By setting lofty goals, staying on track, and training with focus and vigor, I am much more capable of achieving everything else I set my mind to. I have found time and again that the same set of characteristics developed under the squat rack carry over to all venues of the game of life.

The iron teaches many life lessons and I have listened closely and taken notes. Determination, drive, persistence, conviction, and brutally hard work – these are the terms I have highlighted from my years and years in the weight room, and I try to make proper use of these words on a daily basis, both inside and out of the gym. I’ve become proficient at recognizing the obstacles lurking in my path and then destroying them. I’ve learned to pay it forward and put on hold my need for immediate gratification. More than anything, though, bodybuilding has taught me how to identify an objective and work tirelessly in its pursuit. These are the most valuable life skills one can hold, and each of them is forged and refined under a loaded barbell.

Aside from the array of health benefits and psychological advantages of bodybuilding, I have a genuine passion for the sport itself. I think the human body is a wonderfully amazing and beautiful machine – when it is properly maintained. We were all born naked and when you take your clothes off and look in the mirror, what you are really seeing is the one and only gift you have been given in life that is truly yours – and it is, without a doubt, a gift. It cannot be purchased, nor can it be stolen from someone less fortunate. It has been honed into the near-perfect specimen you see before you by hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. It has adapted to the stresses of life over the millennia and is built to last. What you do with it is up to you. It is yours and yours alone, and it is the one and only vessel with which you will maneuver about and experience the world.

In a gluttonous society where people are quite literally killing themselves with excess food, lack of movement, and piss-poor lifestyle choices, it is becoming more and more rare to see a well-kempt human machine built for performance. I like to see muscles working, especially when they are lean and sturdy, and nothing exudes power and confidence like a strong muscle performing a strong feat. It is a reminder of what we have been given and the importance of keeping it intact for as long as possible. So many people take their body and their health for granted, while voluntarily abusing the **** out of it until it is all used up. Nothing screams “I don’t value myself” like a frumpy, overweight, under-muscled human body. It show’s you don’t care about yourself, and in all likelihood you don’t care about much else either. I find this upsetting because you cannot un-ring the bell. Once you have destroyed it, it is gone. That’s it. You have taken your gift and shattered on the floor. It is a very disconcerting phenomenon.

That is why when I see lean, well-muscled physique in the 21st century I take notice. It has become an anomaly and it says a whole lot about the person driving the machine. It shows they take pride in who they are and what they do. They are strong, disciplined, and successful individuals, and I would like to be categorized among them.

The reason I go all out and actually sign up for bodybuilding shows is because I love to test myself against the best of the best. I live in a very small rural community and when I look around I see a mass proliferation of the “big fish, small pond” mentality. It is rather easy to be the best at something if you live in a small enough population. But having the balls to go get on an airplane, fly three time zones away, and lock horns with the best in the game truly defines your place in the pecking order. It teaches you who you really are and where you stand in the grand scheme of things. It is a very humbling experience that can do nothing but build character.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

(Continued from above)

Plus, how much can you honestly know about yourself if you have never been pushed to your absolute limit and beyond? You cannot even begin to grasp your own mettle until your back is against the wall with it all on the line. Most people turn and run from such intense situations because they are too weak to take such an honest look at the composition of their poise under fire. They are too afraid to look into the abyss and truly diagnose who they are and the elements from which they are constructed. The challenges are too great and the realities are too harsh. It is a sincerely frightening notion to think that you may not add up when compared to everyone else, and most folks are perfectly content to let this fact remain a mystery. But it is this element of the unknown – this peek over the event horizon into the giant black hole of actuality – that really gets my juices flowing. And this is the main reason I continue to compete and why I work so ****ing hard to be the best.

Unlike some, I absolutely live for the gauntlet of emotions that comes with competing on a grand stage in front of a large audience. The bigger the moment, the more that’s on the line, the better it is. I love the butterflies, the excitement, and the anticipation. I thrive on the sleepless nights and intense visualization of events to come. Some people hate it; can’t stand it even. It makes them nauseous. But for me, it is the most intense high I have ever experienced and the most visceral sensation that I’ve encountered. Just typing about it gets my stomach roiling and sends my adrenaline rushing. And this, my friend, is what it feels like to be alive – to truly live in the moment. To be sincerely present in the here and now, regardless of what has happened before or what comes next.

Competing toe-to-toe in whatever arena reconnects us with our primordial past. For eons humans have been waging war against nature, against predators, and against our fellow man. We’ve marched fearlessly into battle for thousands of years, always knowing full-well that we may not march back out at the end of the day. But we trudged in valiantly anyway. Whenever I enter a contest, I know that the odds of emerging victorious are stacked against me. But I do it because I have to see for myself how I measure up. I have to see where I stand. And it is this warrior’s ethos churning deep in my gut which drives me to prepare each and every day for battle. This is why I get up when the alarm goes off at 3 a.m. and why I continue to push forward when every ounce of my being screams at me to just give up. It is this willingness and ability to keep driving through the pain and to overcome adversity that, I believe, defines who you are and how you will live on.

And that is why I love bodybuilding and why I will continue doing it. As long as the fire keeps burning within, I will keep grinding it out day after day, year after year. I’ve always said that the morning I wake up and I don’t have that competitive inferno raging in my belly – when I don’t enjoy that nervous anxiety swirling in my gut to compete and win – that is the day I will hang ‘em up for good and walk away from it all. And at that moment, I will rest easily knowing I gave it hell and that I left the sport better than I found it. In the end, at least from my perspective, that is what this whole thing is all about.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TGreggors has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you're one hell of a writer. I enjoyed that
    Documentation of the full year of training prior to my first bodybuilding contest: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167779831

Current training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171615023

"Training is the actual stimulus while nutrition is only permissive to muscle growth."-Eric Helms

Bodybuild like no one is watching.

Hunger is the best sauce.

Originally Posted by TGreggors View Post
    you're one hell of a writer. I enjoyed that
    Thanks, man! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/24/16 Arms, Calves

Leg Press Calves
    31x1 Plate Per Side
    25x1PPS
    15x1PPS
    15x2PPS
    20x3PPS
    13x4PPS
    10x4PPS
    10x2PPS

Seated Calves
    20x50
    10x50
    12x90
    8x90
    10x90

Tricep Machine
    22x60
    7x80
    10x60
    15x40
    20x40

Close Grip Bench
    25x45
    15x95 = Shoulder PAIN

V-Bar Cable Triceps
    25x60
    15x90
    10x120

Bicep Machine
    8x80
    12x40
    10x50
    12x30
    6x50
    13x30

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    10x35
    10x35
    10x35
    10x20

Cardio:
    Barefoot Sprints on the Football Field - 5x50 yards

Notes: Your run-of-the-mill arm and calf workout, I guess. I was hit by some troubling shoulder pain on close grip bench. It's the one I had surgically repaired a couple years ago so I decided not push my luck. Hit some cable tri's instead. I reconnected with my track and field roots by going outside and running some barefoot sprints. If you've never tried them, not only are they great for cardio but they will light up your calves like none other, especially right after training them in the gym.

We had a big 7.1 earthquake at about 1:30 in the morning last night. No damage but we did have some things fall over and few pictures got knocked off the wall. The trophy case is intact, though, which I guess is all that really matters...
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/25/16 Bench, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Bench
    45x45
    21x45
    15x135
    5x200 = Shoulder Pain
    2x185 = Shoulder Pain

Hammer Strength Chest Press
    20x90
    20x140
    12x180
    10x200
    6x230
    5x250
    3x280
    12x180
    20x90

Incline Flies
    10x30
    10x30
    10x30

Dumbbell Skull Crushers Superset w/ Reverse Dumbbell Flies
    15x30 10x30
    10x30 10x30
    10x30 10x30
    10x30 10x30

Straight Bar Cable Triceps Superset w/ Pushups
    18x100 16
    10x130 10
    10x150 10

OHP Machine
    10x95
    6x95
    10x65
    15x50
    12x50

Notes: Once again, I encountered some shoulder pain while pressing and I didn't like it. Backed off of the barbell and spent my energy on Hammer Strength Chest Press which felt better. Not entirely sure what's going on but I will certainly keep my eye on it and exercise caution. Everything else was good except dodging the droves of idiots that seem to inhabit this particular fitness center. Too many egos, not enough hard work. I may have a solution the problem but need a few more things to fall in place first. Stay tuned...
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sucks about the shoulder pain.

Have you tried beginning with a fly variation to help increase neurological stimulation, mmc, and bloodflow?
    advertising not permitted

Originally Posted by NaturalPursuit View Post
    Sucks about the shoulder pain.

Have you tried beginning with a fly variation to help increase neurological stimulation, mmc, and bloodflow?
    Thanks, man, I appreciate the suggestion. I have not tried that yet, but it may be a technique that comes into play during the next push training session on Thursday. It's an old, lingering football injury that I had surgically repaired a few years ago. I still have a slight tear in my labrum and only about half of my bicep tendon remaining. I just have to manage it, be smart about it, and recognize when to back off.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/26/16 Deadlift, Pull, Biceps

Conv. Deadlift w/o Belt
    10x135
    10x225
    10x275
    10x315
    10x340
    10x355
    10x315

Wide Grip Pull Downs
    15x120
    10x130
    8x140
    8x120
    10x100

Dumbbell Curls
    10x35
    10x35
    8x35
    7x35
    7x35

Cardio:
    10 min. of Mastering the Stairs = 101 Calories

Notes: The bar was moving today. Deadlifts felt great so decided to add some weight and move up in a pyramid scheme rather than going sets across. Pretty happy with where they are and where they are going.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/27/16 Squats, Calves

Squat
    20x45
    20x45
    20x135
    20x185
    20x185
    20x135
    20x135

Single Leg Press Calves
    20x65
    16x65
    13x65
    10x65
    10x65

Seated Calves
    25x50
    12x90
    11x110
    8x140
    10x90

Nautilus Leg Press Calves
    50x200
    20x240

Cardio:
    11 min. Mastering the Stairs = 107 calories

Notes: Decided to throw in some variety and did 20-rep squats. My lungs gave out well before my legs did.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/28/16 Chest, Back Shoulders

Side Lateral Raise Machine
    25x35
    20x50
    15x65
    12x80
    10x95
    20x35

Dumbbell Overhead Press
    16x40
    11x50
    5x60
    6x50
    10x35
    10x35

Hammer Strength Rows Superset w/ Neutral Grip Pull Downs
    20x50 16x100
    16x90 10x140
    10x140 6x140
    10x160 6x140
    10x160 12x85

20x90
    10x180
    6x230
    5x230
    5x230
    21x90
    10x90

Incline Dumbbell Bench - Drop Set
    6x60 10x45 10x40

Cardio:
    12 min. of Mastering the Stairs = 116 Calories

Notes: Pre-exhausted shoulders first, then moved on to back and finished with chest, so basically the reverse order of how I've been doing these sessions. I got a ton of reps in with very little rest and experienced one hell of a pump. I also saw a female lifter deadlifting 225 for reps with picture-perfect technique. It was awesome to see!
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Upcoming Events:

A few significant developments have come about recently and I am very excited about them:

1. I will be judging the Alaska State Bodybuilding, Figure, Fitness, and Physique Championships in April. This will be my first time as a judge, but I am honored to have been asked. Talk about coming full-circle. Two short years ago I won this show, now I'll be on the opposite side of the table.

2. We sealed the deal on a house and will be moving in at the end of February. It's a nice spread out in the country with some land, a pasture, and a greenhouse, along with some amazing views of the Chugach Mountains. The best part: A large garage that will be transformed into a home-gym. I'm going to begin investing in some slightly used equipment and, hopefully, within the next six months it will be so-long commercial fitness center and all associated nonsense. The idiocracy/douchebaggery has been driving me crazy lately.

3. My buddy has asked me to come along for his black bear hunt this spring down on the Kenai Peninsula. This is an opportunity of a lifetime. Rich people from the lower 48 pay upward of $20,000 to come to Alaska and harvest a bear, but I'll get to tag along for free. I'll be doing mostly grunt work, like packing gear into camp and packing meat back out, but it will be well worth the effort. Plus, it'll be a week camped out in the backcountry, away from civilization and the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I think he might make it worth my while by compensating me with a share of the harvest. Like I always say, "Will work for meat!!"
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you pre exhaust shoulders to get more contact with your chest? and congrats on a new house and everything. Sounds nice
    My workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170299941

Coached by Alex Kikel www.theprepcoach.com

People look at you and say "you changed" as if you worked that hard to stay the same.

Instagram - WKBrandal
    Snapchat - Thabearkb

Originally Posted by Kise92 View Post
    Do you pre exhaust shoulders to get more contact with your chest? and congrats on a new house and everything. Sounds nice
    Well, this is actually a technique that I'm going to try over the next few weeks. I've had a fairly significant shoulder injury and it tends to get re-aggravated when I do a lot of pressing over an extended period of time. It seems like when I get a lot of blood moving into my delts first, it works to stabilize the joint and keeps some of the inflammation at bay. The key, though, is not to roast shoulders so much that it detracts from the subsequent chest/pressing work. This was actually something suggested to me by NaturalPursuit. The guy knows his stuff...oh, and he is a legit manimal.

Thanks for the congrats on the house. It has been a long time coming.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/29/16 Quads, Hams, Traps

Barbell Shrugs
    30x45
    20x135
    20x225
    12x315
    10x365
    10x365
    10x365
    10x365
    10x365

Single Leg Press
    20xEmpty
    15x1 Plate Per Side
    12x1 PPS
    10x1 PPS
    10X1 PPS

Leg Extensions w/ 3 second+ pause at the top
    18x90
    10x105
    10x120
    10x120
    10x90

Lying Leg Curls
    15x90
    10x100
    10x110
    10x90
    10x70

Notes: The old legs were already wrecked from 20-reps squats on Wednesday, which made this session especially brutal. The plan was to go much heavier on single leg press, but just the empty sled alone about left me piled up on the floor. The quads were certainly burning. The curls and extensions effectively finished the job of annihilation. Walking should be delightful for the next few days.

Shrugs were on point once again. Really digging the high volume work. I think there is a lot to be said about just holding a heavy barbell in your hands for an extended period of time.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kise92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BB-archeologist View Post
    Well, this is actually a technique that I'm going to try over the next few weeks. I've had a fairly significant shoulder injury and it tends to get re-aggravated when I do a lot of pressing over an extended period of time. It seems like when I get a lot of blood moving into my delts first, it works to stabilize the joint and keeps some of the inflammation at bay. The key, though, is not to roast shoulders so much that it detracts from the subsequent chest/pressing work. This was actually something suggested to me by NaturalPursuit. The guy knows his stuff...oh, and he is a legit manimal.

Thanks for the congrats on the house. It has been a long time coming.
    Nice, thank you for a good answer. Yes, NaturalPursuit knows alot and is really nice sharing alot of knowledge.
    My workout log:

People look at you and say "you changed" as if you worked that hard to stay the same.

Instagram - WKBrandal
    Snapchat - Thabearkb

1/30/16

Weekly Weigh-in: 197.8

Weighed in at 197.8 lbs., which is down another pound from last week. Still right on track with 16 to lose in 18 weeks. Strength is still moving up, while the scale is moving down, which I consider an ideal spot to be at this point in the game.

Today is a much-needed recovery day away from the gym but, per the usual, I'll be going out for a hike this afternoon. After that, I plan on smashing some serious calories.

This will be the final week of my hypertrophy/bodybuilding phase. Next Sunday will mark the transition to a strength-based approach, which I will run February through sometime in April. More details to come.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

1/31/16 Arms, Calves

Seated Calves
    30x50
    20x50
    15x90
    12x110
    10x140
    12x90

Hammer Strength Calf Machine
    70x90
    20x90
    25x180
    12x270
    15x360
    12x360
    30x90

Incline Dumbbell Curls
    30x20
    8x35
    20x17.5
    7x30
    15x15

Barbell Curls
    12x50
    10x60
    10x60
    10x40

EZ Bar American Press/Close Grip
    15/30x35
    8/18x55
    6/8x65

Rope Cable Triceps
    15x50
    8x60
    6x70
    10x40
    15x20
    10x20

Seated Dip Machine
    28x80
    15x120
    10x140

Forearms
    Various Wrist Curls X A Lot

Cardio:
    Hiking for 1.5 hours = A Lot of Calories

Notes: I went for a nice long hike this morning in an area called Palmer Hayflats Wildlife Refuge, which was awesome. Fresh air, sunshine, and some good exercise. I really, really didn't feel like going to the gym after that, but I sucked it up an went anyway. Ended up being a pretty good training session. Extremely fast-paced with tons of blood flow. I can tell I am starting to get leaner because my vascularity is really starting to pop. I'm kind of excited to see where it ends up here in a few months.

Below is a photo of the excursion.

IMAG0038[1].jpg
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/1/16 Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Giant Set - Dumbbell Bench/Reverse Flies/Dumbbell Skull Crushers
    16x65/10x30/10x30
    12x70/12x30/10x30
    10x75/10x30/7x30
    9x75/10x30/6x30
    8x75/10x30/5x30

Lateral Raise Machine
    20x65
    15x65
    12x80
    10x95
    10x95

Cable Flies
    20x50
    10x70
    6x80
    4x90

Straight Bar Cable Triceps
    35x40
    10x65
    10x70
    8x75

Seated Dumbbell Front Raises
    8x40
    6x30
    5x30

12x140
    12x140
    10x140

Notes: A whole heck of a lot of volume today. I started out with a giant set of dumbbell bench, reverse flies, and skull crushers and was pretty much wiped after that. Finished strong, though.

After work, I went to the doctor and got an epidural nerve block injection into my L5-S1, which I ruptured back in 2011. This is the third time I've had it done and each of the previous shots lasted for about 2 years. I only get them when my sciatica gets really bad, which it has been for the last couple of months. The injection hurts like a bastard for the first few days, then the relief sets in. I'll probably take it easy tomorrow, then start to build back up on Wednesday.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/2/16 Off/Rest/Recovery

I woke up with my alarm at 2:30 a.m. to go train, but there was that little voice in my head saying, "Caine, you ****ing idiot, you just had a large gauge needle shoved directly into your spine 11 hours ago, don't go to gym!" And what do you know, I actually listened.

Decided to make it a rest day and I am glad that I did. It was kind of a rough one. The epidural injection adds fluid into the tiny space between the vertebrae and the disk, and for the first couple days the additional pressure really pushes on the nerve. The result is increased radiculopathy in the form of sciatica down the outside of your leg. It usually clears up after two or three days, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

The plan is to go in and at least do something productive.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/3/16 Quads, Hams, Calves

Leg Press
    65xEmpty
    50x1 Plate Per Side
    30x2PPS
    30x2PPS
    20x2PPS

50x180
    30x220
    18x260
    12x300
    10x360
    10x400
    10x480

Seated Calves
    30x50
    12x90
    10x140
    12x90
    20x50

Lying Leg Curls
    40x30
    20x50
    12x70
    10x90
    20x50

Dumbbell Reverse Lunges
    10x40
    6x55
    5x65
    4x75

Cardio:
    13 minutes total
    4 min. HIIT
    9 min. LISS
    Calories = 137

Notes: The entire thing was average at best. Still had some soreness from the shot, though markedly improved from yesterday. Tomorrow is another day.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/4/16 Back, Biceps

Ultra-Wide Neutral Grip Cable Rows Superset w/ Wide Grip Pull Downs
    20x100 18x100
    20x120 12x110
    10x140 120x120
    10x150 8x120

Hammer Strength High Rows
    12x90
    6x140
    4x190
    10x90

Lawn Mowers
    10x55
    8x75

Good Mornings
    10x45
    10x95

Cable Curls
    20x60
    12x80
    10x100
    8x120

Zottman Curls
    10x30
    10x25
    10x22.5
    10x20

Hammer Curls
    5x55
    6x40
    5x40

Cardio:
    18 Min. Total
    4 Min. HIIT
    10 Min. LISS
    Calories = 162

Notes: Killin' it, Bro! This was a great training session. I found a new cable attachment that I've never used before. It had a neutral grip but it was much wider than any I'd ever seen. It really lit up the rhomboids from a new angle, and with it supersetted with pull downs, my back was on fire. Arm work went well also. Finally felt like myself again for the first time in a while.

I did an extra couple minutes of cardio because part-way through the song "Moby Dick" by Led Zeppelin came on. As a general rule in life, you never, ever bail on Jon Bonham's drum solo, which might just be the most phenomenal one in human history, so I just kept on going.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/5/16 Quads, Hams, Traps

Leg Press Superset w/ Goblet Squats
    50x1PPS 10x65
    30x2PPS 10x80
    15x3PPS 10x80
    15x4PPS 10x80
    10x5PPS 10x80

Leg Extensions
    22x90
    10x120
    10x135
    7x150
    18x75

Lying Leg Curls
    20x70
    20x80
    12x90
    10x90
    15x70

Dumbbell Shrugs
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100

Notes: Another good one in the books.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Originally Posted by BB-archeologist View Post
    2/4/16 Back, Biceps

Notes: Killin' it, Bro! This was a great training session. I found a new cable attachment that I've never used before. It had a neutral grip but it was much wider than any I'd ever seen. It really lit up the rhomboids from a new angle, and with it supersetted with pull downs, my back was on fire. Arm work went well also. Finally felt like myself again for the first time in a while.

I did an extra couple minutes of cardio because part-way through the song "Moby Dick" by Led Zeppelin came on. As a general rule in life, you never, ever bail on Jon Bonham's drum solo, which might just be the most phenomenal one in human history, so I just kept on going.
    This^Nice to hear you are feeling well! Keep it up mate.
    My workout log:

Instagram - WKBrandal
    Snapchat - Thabearkb

Originally Posted by Kise92 View Post
    This^Nice to hear you are feeling well! Keep it up mate.
    Thanks, buddy! Things are on the up and up so we'll just keep rolling along.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/6/16

Weekly Weigh-in: 198.0

Weighed in at 198 on the nose this morning, which is actually up 0.2 lbs. from last week. A slight increase was expected for two primary reasons:

1) Cardio: I actually need to do it. I will admit that I've been slacking, mainly because I would rather scrub toilets at a rest stop than spend time on a treadmill. I hate it and I really have to force myself to do it when I get done lifting. I'm also going to try to get back out on the track a day or two a week to run some sprints. Deep down, I'm still a sprinter at heart and I do miss it.

2) The pain injection I got this week had a blend of corticosteroids (gasp!! he said steroids), which causes you to retain more water than normal.

Changes are in order nonetheless. It's actually good timing because tomorrow I will be starting my next training phase, which will be geared more toward strength-building. The weekly layout will be different, along with the set and rep scheme. I'm going to add another recovery day to the mix as well since I will be starting to work with significantly heavier weights than I've used for the past 9 weeks.

Today I'm off from training, but I'm going to be heading into Anchorage to pick up my Power Rack for the home gym. I feel like it is Christmas morning all over again. I might go ahead and buy a bar and some plates as well. The gal from Play-it-Again Sports has my contact info and will be calling me whenever they get more used Olympic plates in. I told her I'd need "A Lot" of them.

Per the usual, I will be doing my Open Window this evening. I might do some lasagna in the slow cooker and I've got an entire package of Oreos that I bought last week and never opened. They've been laughing at me every time I open the cupboard, so I'll need to remedy that situation. Sour gummy worms always tend to make their way onto the menu as well.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/9/16 Deadlifts, Calves

Conv. Deadlift w/o Belt
    10x135
    10x225
    10x315
    10x365
    10x365
    10x365
    10x315

Notes: As I was putting away the plates after deadlifting, I got stopped by the old guy/former competitor who proceeded to lecture me in detail about the many and varied injustices in modern day bodybuilding judging criteria. While it was a provocative discourse, it prevented me from finishing my workout. No worries, though. I will just hit calves later in the week.

I did pull 365 for 3 sets of 10, which was a PR, mainly because I've never tried it before. My back felt good both during and after the workout, which I deem a definite plus.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/10/16 Bench, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Bench
    30x45
    25x45
    10x135
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185

Incline Dumbbell Bench
    20x40
    12x55
    6x70
    12x40
    7x60

Press Superset w/ Side Raises
    18x45 10x25
    8x95 10x25
    8x95 10x25

Notes: For the second day in a row, the old dude stopped me between sets and would not quit rambling on and on and on. What's worse is that it was quite literally the exact same conversation we had yesterday. So, for the second day in a row, I didn't get to finish my workout. Not cool. I get that he's a nice guy and respects me enough to want to talk bodybuilding, but it's like, "Dude, I only have so much time to do what I need to do. I have to be at work in 25 minutes. Wrap it up, man." But then that probably makes me a jerk. Going to wear a ball cap pulled low tomorrow so hopefully I can at least get my squats in without interruption.

Finishing the home gym can't come soon enough...
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder

2/11/16 Squat, Calves

Squats
    15x45
    15x45
    10x135
    10x185
    5x225
    5x255
    5x275
    5x275
    5x275
    5x275
    5x275

Standing Calf Machine - Occluded
    30xEmpty
    15x70
    15x120
    12x160
    8x210
    3x210
    12x160
    20x70
    15xEmpty

20x480
    15x480
    12x500

Cardio:
    15 min. Treadmill
    4 min. HIIT
    11 min. LISS
    Calories = 156

Notes: First time with a bar on my back since I got the shot in my spine. Squats went well, though. I've switched to 5x5 working sets across, starting with 275. I'll bump up 10 lbs. next week and keep riding the wave. For calves, I found that if I roll up my knee sleeves just below the knee, it has virtually the same occlusive effect as using wraps. Gastrocs were effectively wrecked.
    2014 MR. ALASKA - PRO

Natural Pro Bodybuilder