stronger2mrw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lose 20 lb while gaining muscle, is it possible?

Howdy ya'll!

I'm 5'7 and 161 lb. I've lost 21 lbs so far and am looking to lose more while gaining muscle. I play volleyball 3 hours a week and go to the gym. My problem is I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

I started Jamie Eason's LiveFit today, and then read on here that it's pretty much useless. I don't know how to select a better program because I am unsure of what to look for. I' willing to work out hard and get to the gym 4-5 days a week. I am maintaining a calorie deficit, and a larger calorie deficit on days I don't get to the gym.

So I guess I'm asking your opinion on a program on here that will work for me. Thanks in advance!
    ~~~Sore Today, Stronger Tomorrow~~~

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would start with a novice routine like AllPros: Butchered Edition:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=164593351
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 355/185/380
    Best Meet lifts: 352.7/181.6/407.8,
    Best Wilks=370.84

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Choose an established routine from the stickies section in this forum. In particular, check out All Pro or Fierce 5. Both are excellent.

Congrats on the weight loss, and good for you for striving for more. Keep it up!
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169283793

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by stronger2mrw View Post
    Howdy ya'll!

I'm 5'7 and 161 lb. I've lost 21 lbs so far and am looking to lose more while gaining muscle. I play volleyball 3 hours a week and go to the gym. My problem is I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

I started Jamie Eason's LiveFit today, and then read on here that it's pretty much useless. I don't know how to select a better program because I am unsure of what to look for. I' willing to work out hard and get to the gym 4-5 days a week. I am maintaining a calorie deficit, and a larger calorie deficit on days I don't get to the gym.

So I guess I'm asking your opinion on a program on here that will work for me. Thanks in advance!
    You might be able to lose a little more weight while you're gaining muscle, depending on how much excess fat you still have. Sooner or later, though, you're going to have to choose between one or the other. You can either gain muscle, which means gaining weight which includes a bit more fat, or you can continue to lose fat with muscle gains minimal or at best simply remaining stable.

If you want to gain significant muscle, you'll have to go back to a caloric excess. If you want to keep losing fat, stay in the deficit until you're reached your fat loss goal, and then start eating more to build muscle.

Either way, you need to be on a good beginners routine. Check the stickies. Most of them, I believe, are 3-day full body workouts. If you want to keep losing weight while you're on them fine, but remember, your strength gains will probably be slow until you're ready to start gaining weight again.

As for which one is best, every individual is a bit different. All the beginner programs here, Stronglifts, Fierce 5, AllPro, StartingStrength, etc., will help you. Some may be more suited to your circumstances than others, so it's hard to recommend one above any of the others. They all concentrate on basic, heavy compound lifts, which is what you need more than anything else.

Good luck, and study as you train!
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rhonaldinho5 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    everything is possible if you bielieve it is, just stick to a program and eat well and you'll see great results

essiman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey,

You're definitely on the right track if you have a specific goal. Your volleyball will help you burn tedious body fat but if you want to gain muscle you need to eat lean and lift some weights.
    My girlfriend actually tried the Jamie Eason workout and I have to admit she did have a bit of a change after the 3 months were up.
    However it wasn't quite the result we were aiming for. We then tried the Kris Gething 12 week trainer which was a lot more effective but a lot more advanced as well.
    We saw amazing results but now we kind of switched it up a little and stumbled across this guide here:
    topbenchpresstips(dot)com which was actually quite insightful.
    We started creating nice meals according to our body structure etc. and I've gained 6kg in muscle (I find it impossible to gain weight normally) and my girlfriend looks pretty toned
    Good luck with your goals!

stronger2mrw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the motivating answers. As for the All Pro and Fierce 5, I heard that your body will just get used to the movements if you are doing the same thing every time you're in the gym. Is this true, and does it become untrue with the increasing weight? I'm afraid it may work some, but I will probably get bored with no variances in workout.
    ~~~Sore Today, Stronger Tomorrow~~~

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for the motivating answers. As for the All Pro and Fierce 5, I heard that your body will just get used to the movements if you are doing the same thing every time you're in the gym. Is this true, and does it become untrue with the increasing weight? I'm afraid it may work some, but I will probably get bored with no variances in workout.
    You have the variance in the progressive adding of weight to the lifts over time. If you keep doing the same number of sets at the same weight, your body will adjust and reach stasis, but if you keep adding weight, it will respond. That's the principle of progressive overload.

Don't worry about getting bored. Once those weights get heavy it will be quite challenging enough!
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    add weight as per the program...that's the variance.
    Union ironworker, USMC vet, muay thai, kyokushin kartae, judoka

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    add weight as per the program...that's the variance.
    this , only difference your body will recognize is the change in amount of tension, not what you are doing, that only keeps you entertained, means nothing to your muscles