Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Duffalo Bar

Originally Posted by TunaGill View Post
    I've ordered one for myself, and hopefully it will be here soon.

No slop in my bar sleeves (perhaps they've improved since the initial batches).

Here are some pics.

The other bar in the first pic is an Ohio Power Bar.

The next two are of where the bar now says "Duffalo Performance Squat Bar" on it. Kind of cool.

The second to last pic I took a long level and touched it at the bottom of both cups of the monolift and then a ruler to show how much bend the bar has in the middle.

The last pic I took a short level and showed how much the sleeve angles upwards.
    Attached Images

MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Does anyone have access to the original Iron Mind Buffalo bar to compare with the Duffalo bar? So far, all I've heard from are people comparing the Bow Bar to the Duffalo, and at twice the price or more, the Duffalo Bar should be a lot better, but I'm really curious how the Duffalo compared to the original Buffalo? To me, this is a much better comparison. I'm at the point of wanting to track down an original Buffalo or possibly plunk down the 600+ on a Duffalo bar to help with my shoulder tendinitis.

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have had my Duffalo for several months now. I used to squat with either my giant cambered bar, my safety squat bar, or my ohio power bar.

The Duffalo is my favorite bar by far, and I don't know if I will ever squat on anything else again. I also bench with it as well.

If you have the $$$, it is definitely worth it.

SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone know where I can pick up one of these for a decent price? The best price I can find is $655 shipped. The prices seem to have jumped 25% since its introduction.

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless you find a used one, wait for Black Friday.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel I owe everyone an update on using this bar.

Introduction:

Am I still using this bar? Anything I hate about the bar? What am I still liking about the bar? Has my training changed due to adding it in? Keep reading to find out.

First & foremost, am I still using the bar?

Yes. Thread over...
    I’ve almost retired my Ivanko OBX-20kg bar due to the introduction of this bar into my home gym. I only use my ivanko for deadlifts, since this bar is not ideal for that movement.

When I squat, if it’s my main squat, no variation, this is my go-to bar. The same for pause squats.
    Benching is somewhat the same. I only pause my reps & I use this bar for all my main work. I’m just now considering using that bar for incline pressing. I am still unsure how the added rom will feel, so I’ll update the thread on that movement, specifically.

I have yet to use this bar for overhead pressing, due to current setup restrictions.
    I have not used this bar for rows, but I eventually will. When rowing with this bar, you must use chains. Otherwise, the bar will want to flip over.
    I haven’t tried front squatting with it, yet. Maybe in the future.

Squat:
    I only squat low bar with this bar. I could squat high bar, but it doesn’t help, so I don’t bother.

After using this bar for about 7 to 8 months, I have no biceps, shoulder or pec pain, at all, period. This bar has entirely fixed that issue. If you need a single reason to consider owning this bar, there it is. I’ve been pain free & see no signs of returning pain. According to Louie Simmons, shoulder problems in powerlifting are caused by low bar squatting, not benching. This is my experience & this bar specifically prevents shoulder injuries & dysfunction.

My grip has entirely changed since using this bar.
    Originally, I was a thumb under, grip the bar like I’m going to pull double overhanded & justtry to crush the bar. Currently, my thumbs side next to the ring; my grip is open handed. I simply lock my hand position in & nothing changes. I do nothing to prevent the bar from rolling or slipping. It stays put. Since I laterally have no grip, I have less stress upstream. I have no elbow, shoulder, pec, biceps, etc pain & I feel this is part of the benefit and not just the curvature of the bar. I am now able to really focus on getting to depth & form over making sure the bar isn’t moving around.

The only noticeable “downside” is the slack in the sleeves. You can feel heavier weights shift while setting up. If you tighten your form up & your walk out, it’s basically a non-issue. There’s no slop while squatting.

A secondary issue is the raw finish. Down here, we have very high humidity & I do have some surface rust. This hasn’t been a problem, other than a very minor annoyance. There’s now 3 finish options, so this isn’t even an issue.

Bench:
    Interestingly, I have had more of an impact from this bar in pressing movements than squatting. While this bar helped reduce pain from squatting & change the way I grip the bar, the benching aspect was entirely different. The bar helps force my elbows in reenforces proper form & greater involvement of the back in the movement along with more triceps activation, interestingly enough. I am able to tuck more naturally & I can use my arms when pressing more so than I used to. Along with that, the pec activation is out of this world. Moving back to a straight bar has been an eye opener. I notice the differences in how muscle recruitment works & how effortlessly I am able to press. This is not just due to cutting out the ROM.

While the benefits of this bar are not just from increasing the ROM, the increase is still dramatic & helpful. Moving back to a straight bar feels like cheating. I am so much stronger off the chest due to all of the benefits listed in the previous paragraph. I have consistently set PRs using this bar. Let me be clear, I am not training with this bar & then setting PRs with a straight bar. All of them have been with the Duffalo bar.

The 30mm thickness feels just right. I have large hands, but short sausage fingers, so if a bar is a hair too thick for smaller lifters, I will notice this. 30mm feels just right. I suicide grip this bar on warm ups through about 250 lb, just to relieve stress from my joints. At very light weights, the bar does swing a little. Anything above 100 lb will not & feels planted in the hand.

Overall, there’s no negatives about this bar when benching.

Universal characteristics of the bar:

I still love the knurling on this bar. Be it for squat or bench, it’s great. I have no pain whatsoever while pressing. I do have to throw on a second shirt while doing pause squats due to the weight & how much the bar is tearing into my back. Other than that, it’s still amazing & makes my Ivanko feel like the knurling is far too fine, soft & ineffective for low bar squats or even to get a perfect grip when benching heavy.

The up tilt in the sleeve was advertised as preventing plates from sliding off.
    While it does help, I will only ever use collars with the bar. The plates do move a good bit without them & this is unsettling for me. Foruntately for everyone, your favorite collars will fit. I prefer using my Ivanko COC-2.5kg, but my Ivanko COTs & Hamtom Bulldog power clamp collars fit perfectly.

Conclusion:

Everything I originally stated about the bar was correct.
    This has become my favorite bar due to it’s countless benefits, quality construction & ability not just to keep me pain free, but to add pounds to my lifts.

If you want to have longevity while lifting heavy weights, this is a bar I would strongly recommend to anyone who’s concerned with injury/dysfunction prevention & treatment, along with all other benefits.

Going back to my original scoring, I feel a few corrections/updates need to be made.

Build Quality: 40%. 9.75
    My 9.5 needs to increase to a 9.75. The pins holding the sleeve on have yet to move anymore. There is still slop in the sleeves, but after using this bar with over 500 lb, it’s really a non-issue. I will still deduct 0.25 points because a bar of this cost really should have less slack. If anyone with a newer bar can comment on the amount of slack, please do.

Overall & specific functionality: 15% + 15% 10s
    I really wish I could give this bar an 11 out of 10 on these topics. 10 out of 10 on both.

Value: 30% 10
    There exists a relative value score with this bar, due to it’s intent & design.
    If you have any pain associated with squatting that this can correct, you could argue that it’s a 12 out of 10. No doctor is going to give you a better solution if low bar squatting is causing you pain & dysfunction.

If you have no pain & simply want to use this as a secondary bar, the price is a little steep. This bar is not targeted at people who want a neat bar that’s different. While the bar has an incredible amount of benefits, dropping $600 for a niche bar is a little ridiculous, but this is the equipment forum...

For those who lift heavy & want another tool in their arsenal, this is no different than buying a deadlift bar or a specialty squat bar. The benefits for benching alone are worth the price, as most specialty bench bars are simply a little longer w/ more room on the sleeve (ignore swiss bars & the like; this bar does not exist in the same realm as that bar)

For what it is, what it aims to do & how well the bar executes said claims by Duffin, I’ll bump the value up to a 10. I feel that’s fair, given the context. For those who are trying to justify buying another bar for their gym, well, I’m only looking at this bar from a functional standpoint. If you’re a powerlifter, strongman, strength athlete, powerbuilder or just like to push yourself hard in the gym, this is $600 well spent.

Overall Score:
    Updated to 9.9 out of 10.

I stand by everything stated here & will continue to defend my claims. That’s how strongly I feel about this bar. This bar is cemented as my number one favorite bar of all time.

SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the update. I've been pondering this bar and the NYB Mega bow bar. The NYB bar is much cheaper at $240 shipped but only has a three month warranty.

So, my fear is that $240 bar will be junk after a bit of use. I recently developed a very bad case of bicep tendonitis and want to prevent this in the future. I've about went crazy during the last month just letting my shoulder/neck recoup and taking it easy in the gym.

I'll be the only one using the bar which makes me wonder if the NYB bar may be sufficient or if I should just pony up the additional 40% markup for the Duffalo.

I seen a comparison video of the buffalo vs. the duffalo and the duffalo had several advantages. I wish I could find it for a bit less though.

Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've been pondering this bar and the NYB Mega bow bar. The NYB bar is much cheaper at $240 shipped but only has a three month warranty.

So, my fear is that $240 bar will be junk after a bit of use. I recently developed a very bad case of bicep tendonitis and want to prevent this in the future. I've about went crazy during the last month just letting my shoulder/neck recoup and taking it easy in the gym.

I'll be the only one using the bar which makes me wonder if the NYB bar may be sufficient or if I should just pony up the additional 40% markup for the Duffalo.

I seen a comparison video of the buffalo vs. the duffalo and the duffalo had several advantages. I wish I could find it for a bit less though.
    I train at home, so I'm the only person using all of my bars, lol. It's a nice product, well worth the price.
    I would not want to skimp on the quality of the knurl. The NYBB is chrome plated (crap). Also take into account the it will have basic bearings (inferior to the oil impregnated ones in the Duffalo) as well as held on with a hex bolt & not pinned. It's thicker at 31.75mm, but weighs less.

At the same time, the NYBB is going to bend if you fail with a weight and have to bail. The Duffalo bar will not bend.
    Don't take my word for it, just watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl16LKZ9JA

Buy once, cry once.
    I can't help it that you want to buy a cheap bar & justify the low quality b/c of the lower price. I will bet you that if anyone buys the NYBB version, it'll be a poor man's Duffalo, at best.
    As I've stated, what's your health worth? I know what I originally paid was well worth it. Would I buy it again at the current price? Without a doubt, yes. I can't put a price on being pain free & being able to lift & hit PRs vs cutting workouts short due to pain & not being able to function normally.

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    I train at home, so I'm the only person using all of my bars, lol. It's a nice product, well worth the price.
    I would not want to skimp on the quality of the knurl. The NYBB is chrome plated (crap). Also take into account the it will have basic bearings (inferior to the oil impregnated ones in the Duffalo) as well as held on with a hex bolt & not pinned. It's thicker at 31.75mm, but weighs less.

At the same time, the NYBB is going to bend if you fail with a weight and have to bail. The Duffalo bar will not bend.
    Don't take my word for it, just watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl16LKZ9JA

Buy once, cry once.
    I can't help it that you want to buy a cheap bar & justify the low quality b/c of the lower price. I will bet you that if anyone buys the NYBB version, it'll be a poor man's Duffalo, at best.
    As I've stated, what's your health worth? I know what I originally paid was well worth it. Would I buy it again at the current price? Without a doubt, yes. I can't put a price on being pain free & being able to lift & hit PRs vs cutting workouts short due to pain & not being able to function normally.
    Understand, I believe I'll end up going the Duffalo route and call it a day. Since, I know it will last a lifetime.

[size=5][B][U]
    There is still slop in the sleeves, but after using this bar with over 500 lb, it’s really a non-issue. I will still deduct 0.25 points because a bar of this cost really should have less slack. If anyone with a newer bar can comment on the amount of slack, please do.
    As I stated in my previous post, no slop/slack in my bar.

MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm actually surprised Rogue hasn't dabbled in making their version of a Buff/Duff bar. I always tell people, the first specialty bar I'd buy is a Buffalo bar because of its many uses. It's ironic to me that they make so many single use specialty bars but haven't made one of these bars which has a much broader usage.

I hadn't noticed, thanks.
    How much play, if any is there?

Originally Posted by MGM711 View Post
    I'm actually surprised Rogue hasn't dabbled in making their version of a Buff/Duff bar. I always tell people, the first specialty bar I'd buy is a Buffalo bar because of its many uses. It's ironic to me that they make so many single use specialty bars but haven't made one of these bars which has a much broader usage.
    Rogue sells this bar, actually. (You might easily know that, I just wanted to mention it if you weren't aware.)
    I think this bar is a child of the mother of invention, otherwise known as necessity. Rogue really caters, imo, to crossfit lifters. Even the best are in no way approaching the levels of strength guys like Duffin, Thompson, & a lot of other guys, like the equipped guys at Westside are, where they need bars like this not just for variation, but to cut down on the wear & tear.

The only other bar I can think of that can easily be used on two lifts are the different version of the bamboo bars (like the tsunami bar). That bar, too, cannot be used on deadlifts.
    Cambered squat bars can be used for pressing, along with squats, zercher squats, etc, but you rarely see it.
    Neither of those bars have the carry over this one does.

CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) CanadaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This isn't the Rogue thread, but I do notice they are into strongman stuff now, giant bars and yokes, and powerlifting plates. Maybe it's a carry over from being in the crossfit business. I can see them being in the IPF approved list for everything soon, if they aren't already (I just went to the IPF website and I don't see Rogue anywhere.)

amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
    Anyone know where I can pick up one of these for a decent price? The best price I can find is $655 shipped. The prices seem to have jumped 25% since its introduction.
    I don't know how it compares but you can get the NYBB knockoff for $200

(IM-0250-O) MEGA BOW BAR - 92" LONG

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/splbars1.html

Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    I don't know how it compares but you can get the NYBB knockoff for $200

(IM-0250-O) MEGA BOW BAR - 92" LONG

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/splbars1.html
    That was literally brought up & discussed by the person you're aiming the comment towards.
    It's not comparable & was brought to not be... please read the thread before posting.

amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000) amsgator is just really nice. (+1000)
    That was literally brought up & discussed by the person you're aiming the comment towards.
    It's not comparable & was brought to not be... please read the thread before posting.
    Oh snap. My bad.

Rogue sells this bar, actually. (You might easily know that, I just wanted to mention it if you weren't aware.)
    I think this bar is a child of the mother of invention, otherwise known as necessity. Rogue really caters, imo, to crossfit lifters. Even the best are in no way approaching the levels of strength guys like Duffin, Thompson, & a lot of other guys, like the equipped guys at Westside are, where they need bars like this not just for variation, but to cut down on the wear & tear.

The only other bar I can think of that can easily be used on two lifts are the different version of the bamboo bars (like the tsunami bar). That bar, too, cannot be used on deadlifts.
    Cambered squat bars can be used for pressing, along with squats, zercher squats, etc, but you rarely see it.
    Neither of those bars have the carry over this one does.
    I know Rogue sells this bar, and knowing a bit how they are, they like to find a way to make things cheaper without affecting quality so that there's a greater market for a product.

I feel that this is the bar that more people and gyms need to own. There isn't a qualifying total to have a use for this bar. If you have tight, cranky shoulders, this bar will help. It's also my opinion that it's just a plain, better bar to squat with. Not to get too far off subject, but if I was a PLing commish, I'd make a Duff/Buff bar my official squat bar, then you can have 3 distinct bars for each lift.

Outside of a regular barbell, this bar is the only bar that has multiple upper and lower body usages. The only other bar that maybe is close to having the same upper and lower body ability is a rackable Trap bar and a medium camber bar (I know one can include that Tsunami bar as well, but that bar is just plain ludicrous!) It's absolutely a no brainier to me that after deciding on which everyday barbell one wants, this is the next bar in your arsenal. It's so much more functional than a SSB, GCB, FBB, Axel, etc, yet plenty of garage guys and CF boxes have these specialty bars and no Duff/Buff bar.

Ok...off my soap box! I'm just glad these barbells are around for people to enjoy.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    SK - can you expand a bit on your thoughts of this vs a SSB?

I am looking at one or the other due to my shoulder tightness - I did find the Fortis SSB which has the camber reversed from the traditional SSB so that it is more like a low bar squat than a high or front squat. But wondering if overall this bar would be better.

I think we discussed this in a different thread but currently there is the Buffalo bar from Iron Mind, the Duffalo, the cheapo from NYBB. I thought Elite had a version, but it looks like they got rid of it in favor of the Duffalo.
    Last edited by Cleveland33; 07-07-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if I was a PLing commish, I'd make a Duff/Buff bar my official squat bar, then you can have 3 distinct bars for each lift.
    Donnie has been pushing this for years.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

I know Rogue sells this bar, and knowing a bit how they are, they like to find a way to make things cheaper without affecting quality so that there's a greater market for a product.

I feel that this is the bar that more people and gyms need to own. There isn't a qualifying total to have a use for this bar. If you have tight, cranky shoulders, this bar will help. It's also my opinion that it's just a plain, better bar to squat with. Not to get too far off subject, but if I was a PLing commish, I'd make a Duff/Buff bar my official squat bar, then you can have 3 distinct bars for each lift.

Outside of a regular barbell, this bar is the only bar that has multiple upper and lower body usages. The only other bar that maybe is close to having the same upper and lower body ability is a rackable Trap bar and a medium camber bar (I know one can include that Tsunami bar as well, but that bar is just plain ludicrous!) It's absolutely a no brainier to me that after deciding on which everyday barbell one wants, this is the next bar in your arsenal. It's so much more functional than a SSB, GCB, FBB, Axel, etc, yet plenty of garage guys and CF boxes have these specialty bars and no Duff/Buff bar.

Ok...off my soap box! I'm just glad these barbells are around for people to enjoy.
    I agree 100%.
    It really should be the squat bar for PL meets. Just for the longevity of lifters alone, it's worth it. You can also load up as many plates as you want. Just make it a 55 lb bar & you're set.
    Crossfit does as Crossfit wants. This bar is to make gains & not to blow out your L5, so maybe that's the issue? lol

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    SK - can you expand a bit on your thoughts of this vs a SSB?

I am looking at one or the other due to my shoulder tightness - I did find the Fortis SSB which has the camber reversed from the traditional SSB so that it is more like a low bar squat than a high or front squat. But wondering if overall this bar would be better.

I think we discussed this in a different thread but currently there is the Buffalo bar from Iron Mind, the Duffalo, the cheapo from NYBB. I thought Elite had a version, but it looks like they got rid of it in favor of the Duffalo.
    I'll do you one better & throw in the CSB as well.
    I own all three bars, so I can effectively comment on the differences.
    First & foremost, the Duffalo bar can & is a viable replacement for a straight bar in both the squat & bench. Neither the SSB or CSB offer that. They are far to specialized & really were created to address weaknesses as opposed to functioning as a straight bar that takes pressure off your shoulders/pecs/elbows, etc.

A typical safety squat bar is going to throw all the weight forward. You're squatting form will have to adapt to become quad dominant. As well, it hammers the upper back & it's a great tool for preventing caving in of the shoulders or rounding of the upper back. The Duffalo can be used for high bar squats, but I don't see the point. High bar takes pressure off of your shoulders. The Duffalo really is good for those of us who are low bar squatters. I could play around with it for high bar, but it gives my Ivanko a use, other than deadlift. I might have to try that sometime.

The cambered squat bar is going to put more load on the lower back. It will also take the shoulders entirely out of a bad/difficult position, unlike the Duffalo/Buffalo bar, due to how low you grip the bar. The Duffalo gives you enough of a change in hand placement that you're not as tight, but the shoulders still get stress, just not enough to pause pain like you're describing. At the same time, the bar will swing & really force you to focus and develop core strength to stabilize. The Duffalo bar does swing when squatting, ever.

The Fortis SSB is a strange beast.
    I'm having a difficult time believing his argument. I haven't tried it, but if what he's saying is true, just buy a cambered squat bar & call it a day. The SSB portion of the bar changes the way it functions. Just take a CSB & move it from low bar to high bar position. Change nothing else... the requirements on the body to finish the lift change dramatically. You become slightly more quad dominant and your upper back will get hammered much harder. I can't see it becoming a replacement for a straight bar. It's another interesting tool, somewhat like the EliteFTS spider bar. Actually, it's basically a rip off of that bar, just with even less of a camber. I frankly don't get the point of this bar, lol. The only difference is that the elitefts version is $450 vs $300, but I'm thinking the 50% increased cost might be worth it, just based on visual build quality. Anyways, I'm getting off track. This bar isn't a replacement & is just another specialty bar to help with shoulder issues where you really can't use your shoulder at all while squatting, like a regular SSB.

Did I address everything or is there something I missed?

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    Donnie has been pushing this for years.
    Donnie's the man. It's just too bad he hasn't had as much commercial success as he should. He has good ideas... just don't ask Sorinex.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll do you one better & throw in the CSB as well.
    I own all three bars, so I can effectively comment on the differences.
    First & foremost, the Duffalo bar can & is a viable replacement for a straight bar in both the squat & bench. Neither the SSB or CSB offer that. They are far to specialized & really were created to address weaknesses as opposed to functioning as a straight bar that takes pressure off your shoulders/pecs/elbows, etc.

A typical safety squat bar is going to throw all the weight forward. You're squatting form will have to adapt to become quad dominant. As well, it hammers the upper back & it's a great tool for preventing caving in of the shoulders or rounding of the upper back. The Duffalo can be used for high bar squats, but I don't see the point. High bar takes pressure off of your shoulders. The Duffalo really is good for those of us who are low bar squatters. I could play around with it for high bar, but it gives my Ivanko a use, other than deadlift. I might have to try that sometime.

The cambered squat bar is going to put more load on the lower back. It will also take the shoulders entirely out of a bad/difficult position, unlike the Duffalo/Buffalo bar, due to how low you grip the bar. The Duffalo gives you enough of a change in hand placement that you're not as tight, but the shoulders still get stress, just not enough to pause pain like you're describing. At the same time, the bar will swing & really force you to focus and develop core strength to stabilize.
    Good through here.

The Duffalo bar does swing when squatting, ever.
    Guessing you meant "does not"

The Fortis SSB is a strange beast.
    I'm having a difficult time believing his argument. I haven't tried it, but if what he's saying is true, just buy a cambered squat bar & call it a day. The SSB portion of the bar changes the way it functions. Just take a CSB & move it from low bar to high bar position.
    Lost me here - how do you use a CSB as a high bar opposed to low bar?

Change nothing else... the requirements on the body to finish the lift change dramatically. You become slightly more quad dominant and your upper back will get hammered much harder. I can't see it becoming a replacement for a straight bar. It's another interesting tool, somewhat like the EliteFTS spider bar. Actually, it's basically a rip off of that bar, just with even less of a camber.
    which bar are we talking about here, the CSB? I am not familiar with CBB's other than Elite's - but that is from not having done research.

I frankly don't get the point of this bar, lol. The only difference is that the elitefts version is $450 vs $300, but I'm thinking the 50% increased cost might be worth it, just based on visual build quality. Anyways, I'm getting off track. This bar isn't a replacement & is just another specialty bar to help with shoulder issues where you really can't use your shoulder at all while squatting, like a regular SSB.
    The Fortis SSB or the the CSB? If I am correct, the difference I see between the Fortis SSB and Elite's spider bar is that the spider bar's camber will result in the weights moved forward of your center of gravity when gripping the handles, whereas the Fortis SSB is reversed so the weight stays behind you like a traditional low bar squat. But I have not seen either first hand.

Did I address everything or is there something I missed?
    Clarify the above and we're great - thanks for helping me hijack your thread
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Good through here.

Guessing you meant "does not"

Lost me here - how do you use a CSB as a high bar opposed to low bar?

which bar are we talking about here, the CSB? I am not familiar with CBB's other than Elite's - but that is from not having done research.

The Fortis SSB or the the CSB? If I am correct, the difference I see between the Fortis SSB and Elite's spider bar is that the spider bar's camber will result in the weights moved forward of your center of gravity when gripping the handles, whereas the Fortis SSB is reversed so the weight stays behind you like a traditional low bar squat. But I have not seen either first hand.

Clarify the above and we're great - thanks for helping me hijack your thread
    I need 3 monitors to answer this, lol.
    I'm answering in order, but skipping the first response.

1. Right, the Duffalo bar does not swing.

2. Any bar for squatting (short of a safety squat bar, the fortis SSB & the spider bar) can be low or high bar, right? It's just bar position. You can put a cambered squat bar on your traps/high bar position & it will bury you in lifts like standing good mornings & close stance squats. The Fortis SBB doesn't allow for low bar at all. The camber is a cheat, not a substitution. At the end of the day, it's just a SSB w/ a different angle.

3. I'm referring to the CSB. You cannot change the position of an SSB. The SSB cannot be used in low bar, ever. The spider bar is unique, but still falls under a variation of the SSB in terms of bar placement. You don't have a choice.

4. I don't get the point of the Fortis SSB. A fulcrum has been created in a very different way than the Duffalo. The Duffalo just sits on your back. It will never rotate. SSBs (and any variation) will try to rotate or make you rotate, creating more sheer force (bring your upper body down while your posterior chain is trying to drive the bar up, while at the same time, actually forcing the quads to kick in, if you attempt to squat low bar with your foot placement.) Like I said, what differentiates this from a CSB? You can still keep your hands to your sides, just down. On top of that, you can place the CSB in a low bar position. You can't do that with the fortis. Leverage are different & while that's cool, it's not a replacement, period... unless there's some magic going on here that I'm not aware of. The CSB has a very specific purpose & is a very good bar to own; it's not not a straight bar replacement.

To make a simple statement, I feel that no bar with a SSB pad style set up can ever replace a straight bar. The leverages are different. There's no real need to continue, but I might as well.
    Unlike a normal bar, you cannot dig in & set up the same way since there's no knurling & no way to really drive your back into the bar. That changes form. Taking your arms out of the movement decreases stability (and tightness) even more.

TL;DR, if the bar placement is not the same, ignore any other feature, period.

good stuff.

For clarification, I thought you meant changing something on the CSB itself to change from high or low - not the bar position. Brain fart on my end.

I never used the Fortis SSB, but to play devil's advocate and not sure if I explained it well enough in my previous one. Most people say that SSB's tend to feel more like a front squat than a back squat in that they push you forward/"engage" the quads more due to the position of the weights being in front of your center of gravity.

From what I understand Fortis to claim, by flipping the angle of the horns in relation to the handles, their bar keeps the weight behind you - so while the bar itself is still in the high bar position, the movement is SUPPOSED to be more like a low bar squat.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ugh.. Wish this thread would quit getting bumped up! I don't need another bar! But I just know I'll buy a Duffalo bar one day.. It's just so impressive.. and practical, and functional. Very cool bar.
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

good stuff.

For clarification, I thought you meant changing something on the CSB itself to change from high or low - not the bar position. Brain fart on my end.

I never used the Fortis SSB, but to play devil's advocate and not sure if I explained it well enough in my previous one. Most people say that SSB's tend to feel more like a front squat than a back squat in that they push you forward/"engage" the quads more due to the position of the weights being in front of your center of gravity.

From what I understand Fortis to claim, by flipping the angle of the horns in relation to the handles, their bar keeps the weight behind you - so while the bar itself is still in the high bar position, the movement is SUPPOSED to be more like a low bar squat.
    We all have brain farts... it's a good way to clear out the rubbish.
    You know, when I use my SSB, it does not feel like a front squat. It feels like someone is pushing me forwards or simply put, the weight is offcenter, to the front & I'm trying to use my upper back to correct & not faceplant. I've heard that description, but front squats feel very different to me than this, mostly because you can't get away with as much forward lean with a front squat as with close stand squat with at SSB.

I would really want to try both the Fortis SSB & the CSB wit the same weight. I just don't see how squatting with a CSB in a high bar position is really any different than the Fortis bar, other than hand placement & a little bit of extra stability. What do you think?

Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Ugh.. Wish this thread would quit getting bumped up! I don't need another bar! But I just know I'll buy a Duffalo bar one day.. It's just so impressive.. and practical, and functional. Very cool bar.
    Once I get everything squared away, you're welcome to come by & try it out. Actually, I'll be offended if you don't. You've been warned!
    Oh, and you'll have to buy the bar after trying it out. You'll see why once you get under it, lol.

I really want a 2nd one with the electroless nickel coating. Actually, I want a black zinc, too. I need $1300 bucks, can I get an IOU?

I have a Buffalo Bar, a SSB, and I owned a Spider Bar that I ended up giving to my buddy.

Each of these bars does a different thing, you can't really compare them to each other.

The Buff/Duff bar is most closely going to be like a straight barbell (only better!). If you have a bad shoulder, this bar will allow you to have that barbell squat feel without the shoulder pain. While the SSB and Spider Bar can help with shoulder issues, neither of them feel like a straight barbell, not even close. Do they have their place, sure, but if you're looking for a bar that's going to help ease shoulder pain that most closely feels like a straight bar, it's the Buff/Duff bar.

For my garage, I kept the SSB and the Buff bar. The Spider Bar is cool, but it really doesn't have many uses. If I had infinite amount of space, I would've kept it, but I was using it infrequently. If I really find a need to get that specific a training effect, I'd probably opt to get a rackable GCB as some point.

I would really want to try both the Fortis SSB & the CSB wit the same weight. I just don't see how squatting with a CSB in a high bar position is really any different than the Fortis bar, other than hand placement & a little bit of extra stability. What do you think?
    not having used either, it's purely speculation.

But in my mind, doesn't the CSB rotate on your back a bit and put the weights in front of your center of gravity?
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a Buffalo Bar, a SSB, and I owned a Spider Bar that I ended up giving to my buddy.

Each of these bars does a different thing, you can't really compare them to each other.

The Buff/Duff bar is most closely going to be like a straight barbell (only better!). If you have a bad shoulder, this bar will allow you to have that barbell squat feel without the shoulder pain. While the SSB and Spider Bar can help with shoulder issues, neither of them feel like a straight barbell, not even close. Do they have their place, sure, but if you're looking for a bar that's going to help ease shoulder pain that most closely feels like a straight bar, it's the Buff/Duff bar.

For my garage, I kept the SSB and the Buff bar. The Spider Bar is cool, but it really doesn't have many uses. If I had infinite amount of space, I would've kept it, but I was using it infrequently. If I really find a need to get that specific a training effect, I'd probably opt to get a rackable GCB as some point.
    I'm not sure that I have actually ever seen even a picture of the original Buffalo bar....how does the bend compare to the NYBB cheap version?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Either way - looks like I am picking up a Crepinsek SSB this weekend from Lundregan's buddy
    Boomer Rep Crew #1

-Wendler

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Either way - looks like I am picking up a Crepinsek SSB this weekend from Lundregan's buddy
    I've owned that one for 15 years. Same one they used at WSB in all those older videos (although they rewelded theirs). IMO still the best before they got all goofy with long handles and such.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪