Page 1 of 168 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Fallen Angel picking herself up!

Hi all, I thought I would start a journal as it seems a fun way of keeping accountable, and getting feedback/encouragement from other BB.com members

Bit of background to me. Had issues with my weight for years. Had an eating disorder in my 20s which I thought I had recovered from in my mid-20s but my disordered eating and poor relationship with food continued probably up until I was 30. I have done endless cardio and also a few half marathons, but my diet sucked so I was in a cycle of being skinny fat. Did a few Beachbody programs such as P90X/P90X3/T25/Insanity Max30 but got to the stage a few months back where all the cardio seemed pointless and my progress was stalling.

I have never really been happy with my body but that has changed since I started lifting properly a few months ago (I had done the odd bit here and there at the gym previously). It was with Beachbody's Body Beast which was a good way into lifting for me personally; I appreciate it's probably not the best program out there. Towards the end I was frustrated with the program because I wasn't able to lift as heavily as I knew I was capable of due to how the sets/reps were set up. But, it was a great experience and it fueled my passion for lifting. During Body Beast I ate in a calorie deficit because I wanted to lean out a bit more before bulking.

And now I am in the reverse-diet stage, ready to work up to a bulk. It'll be a short bulk for this first time as I'm getting married in June 2016 (in Vegas!) and I want to cut prior to the wedding. But it'll give me a taster of what it's about and I aim to do a longer, slower bulk in late-2016.

I didn't want to do Body Beast again so I am doing Mike Matthews' Thinner, Leaner, Stronger program. It's a 12 month program of lifting as heavily as you can between a 8-10 rep range. I'm doing the 5-day split as follows:

Day 1 - Chest and calves
    Day 2 - Back, butt & abs
    Day 3 - Shoulders and calves
    Day 4 - Arms and abs
    Day 5 - Legs, butt & calves

The other two days can be used for cardio, although last week I used one as a rest day and went for a short run today.

So, current stats are:
    Height: 5' 2"
    Weight: 114 lbs
    BF: 19.6% (measured with calipers so as accurate as they can be I guess!)

Macros are going to be 20% daily calories from fat, 1g protein per lb body weight, with the rest coming from carbs. This will change on a weekly basis until I reach my 10% surplus of maintenance in a couple of weeks

I actually started the program last week but it was more about trying to get form and so I probably didn't lift as heavily as I could have done. Still, I'm no Arnold so my weights aren't huge (don't judge me lol). My fiance does the workouts with me (he is doing the Bigger, Leaner, Stronger program) and it's great for us to do it together.

I'll start posting my workouts from tomorrow. Good to be here
    - Fallen Angel -

Journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169571783

Training PRs: 170/104/260
    Meet PRs: 149/93/220

Goals: 200/132/300

FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FallenAngel80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Monday 16th November 2015

Get up at 5.30am during the week, have 20g whey protein whizzed up with almond milk and a banana. Wait for my other half to surface and then hit the weights at 6am. We have a power cage in our front reception room so everything is in there!

Total weight on the barbell exercises doesn't include the weight of the bar, but I still feel like I'm starting off small compared to others I see on here. Got to start somewhere though, right?!

Calories:1643
    Macros: 182g Carbs/ 122g Protein/ 39g Fat

Incline barbell bench press (3x warm-up sets first)
    26lbs x9 reps
    26lbs x9 reps
    26lbs x9 reps

Incline dumbbell bench press (weight is each dumbbell)
    20lbs x10 reps
    20lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x9 reps

Flat barbell bench press
    26lbs x10 reps
    30lbs x9 reps
    30lbs x8 reps

Dips (chest variation)
    Body weight x1 rep (too hard so went onto do negatives)
    Body weight x3 reps negative
    Body weight x4 reps negative

Standing calf raises using barbell
    66lbs x10 reps feet straight (3 sets)
    66lbs x10 reps feet turned outwards (3 sets)
    66lbs x10 reps feet turned inwards (3 sets)

I'm not sure whether or not the 8-10 rep range specified in the program applies to the calf raises (and also the ab workouts in the program) or whether I go to failure? Can't seem to find it in the book so I have emailed Mike Matthews as he's good at getting back to people. Any thoughts on rep ranges for calves/abs would be appreciated though

I'm a bit irritated by my lack of upper body strength to do the dips, but hopefully practicing the negatives will help. I try and practice throughout the week and not just on the days they are scheduled. Likewise with my chin-ups and pull-ups.

Day one of week 2 is in the bag!
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-16-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Adding in macros
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1626
    Macros: 185g Carbs/ 126g Protein/ 35g Fat

Need to try and get my carbs closer to the 200g mark. I had my protein intake at about 1.2g per lb body weight during my cut so I’m bringing that down to enable me to get closer to my carb requirements for this (first) bulk. It meant that I could have a few squares of dark chocolate this evening which is never a bad thing

Barbell deadlifts (3 warm-up sets first)
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps

Barbell squat
    22lbs x10reps
    22lbs x10 reps
    25lbs x10 reps

Barbell row
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps

One-arm dumbbell row
    20lbs x10 reps each arm
    20lbs x10 reps each arm
    20lbs x10 reps each arm

Ab circuits
    Hanging Leg Raise x12 reps
    Air Bicycles x50 reps (to failure)
    Cable crunch 44lbs x15 reps

Hanging Leg Raise x8 reps
    Air Bicycles x46 reps (to failure)
    Cable crunch 44lbs x15reps

Hanging Leg Raise x15 reps
    Air Bicycles x55 reps (to failure)
    Cable crunch 44lbs x15 reps

I’ve hit my 10 rep maximum for the weight exercises this week and although I’ve increased my weights from last week, I haven’t moved them up that much. I think I am reluctant to go too heavy too soon for fear of injury but I also want to balance that with not going too slowly! Perhaps I underestimate how much I can lift, but I also don’t want my ego getting in the way! Attached is a photo of me doing the hanging leg raises. I think I need to invest in some better quality gloves as my hands are pretty sore after doing these!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-17-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1641
    Macros: 184g Carbs/ 119g Protein/ 40g Fat

Since I started monitoring my calories/macros properly a few months ago during my cut I have become quite obsessed with food, but in a productive way I think. I want to make sure I’m getting a balance between nutrient dense foods and some nice things too as this lessens my temptation to over-indulge. My meals tend to be quite repetitive during the week as I meal prep my lunches at the weekend, freeze them, and then take them into work. Only dinner and my evening snack tend to change during the week. At weekends I am more flexible and eat what I fancy but still aim to keep within my macros. I actually like the routine of eating a lot of the same foods (I’m weird, perhaps!).

I initially ate six meals a day as I had heard it helped boost your metabolism etc. I've since heard that that isn't true but I have continued anyway as it's nice to be able to eat every few hours (fits in with my food obsession!). Here’s my meals for today:

Pre-workout drink: banana, almond milk, vanilla protein powder
    Post-workout breakfast: Peanut butter oatmeal (oats, chocolate protein powder, egg whites, and peanut butter)
    Mid-morning: muesli with almond milk
    Lunch: Chicken jumbalaya (Quorn chicken pieces, tomatoes, peppers, various spices, rice and chickpeas)
    Dinner: Keema curry (Quorn mince, korma paste, vegetable stock tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms)
    Snack: 3 squares dark chocolate, also a rice cake with peanut butter and nutella (this is a new snack I tried, inspired by Likeafish’s rice cake and cookie butter snack – thank you!). I looked into ordering cookie butter but unfortunately if I wanted to buy it, it would cost me more in shipping than for the actual jar!

In terms of my workout, it was shoulders today. They are one of my weaker areas (along with arms) so it was good to slightly increase the weights from last week.

Standing Military Press
    7lbs x10 reps
    7lbs x10 reps
    9lbs x10 reps

Side Lateral Raises
    10lbs x10 reps
    11lbs x10 reps
    11lbs x10 reps

Rear Delt Raises
    11lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps

Standing Calf Raises (with barbell)
    66lbs x15 reps feet straight (3 sets)
    66lbs x15 reps feed turned outwards (3 sets)
    66lbs x15 reps feet turned inwards (3 sets)

I’m sure I can go heavier with the military presses so I will start off with 9lbs next time for the first set and then try and move up for sets 2 and 3. Although I reached 10 reps for the lateral and rear delt raises I felt if I had gone any heavier my form would have suffered so I will stick with these weights next week and see how I get on. I think I need to invest in some better quality gloves as I found it hard to keep a grip on the barbell during the standing calf raises. My hands were getting sore and I often had to set the barbell down between each set of 15 reps :/
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories: 1655
    Macros: 191g Carbs/ 121g Protein/ 37g Fat

Breakfast: Peanut butter oatmeal
    Mid-morning: muesli with almond milk & smoothie (bananam vanilla whey powder and almond milk)
    Lunch: Quorn chicken jumbalaya (with tomatoes, peppers, various spices, rice and chickpeas)
    Dinner: Omelette (1 yolk, 4 whites), 2 slices wholemeal bread, baked beans
    Snack: Hot chocolate, rice cake with peanut butter and nutella

It was my rest day today as I attend university every Thursday and have to leave home early to drive there. I am doing a PhD in forensic psychology; only another 2.5 years to go!! At the end I will (hopefully) qualify as a forensic psychologist and career progression seems to be good in this field. I currently work with males with learning disabilities and also females with personality disorder. I’m not sure which client group I want to work with when I qualify. I often think about working with young people but have little experience so it would be very daunting. However, I normally like to do the things I am scared of so that might be something I look into nearer to when I qualify. I’m also interested in the field of ‘extremism’ and there are projects which have been set up in the UK to try and work with young people at risk of being radicalised into terrorist activities. I am in touch with someone who works with the field so she recommended that I contact her when I am nearing qualification to see what opportunities there are.

As much as I am enjoying the course I am disillusioned with our education system. I wonder what I am actually paying for. We’ve been told that if our essays don’t meet the pass mark the tutors will give them back to us and we can then tweak them to get them up to the standard required. It kind of makes a mockery of being able to study at PhD level if we cannot actually fail the course! Even students in the years above us have said that we’re effectively just paying for the ‘doctor’ title. On the plus side, I am more relaxed about the course (I’m in my second year). I am very much a perfectionist and last year I was checking my essays to the nth degree before submitting them, as well as being disappointed if I didn’t get A grades. I have issues with equating my self-worth to what I achieve/how well I do in things so I am trying to challenge this more! This year, I am going to do ‘enough’ to pass each essay and I am not going to obsessively check each one before submitting; it will get a ‘once over’ and then it’s done. I’ve just submitted my first essay of this year and I took this approach, and it feels much better! The next challenge will be ‘being okay’ with not getting top marks.

The university fees I pay are crippling me at the moment as well. My fiancé and I are saving for our wedding in June 2016. I know that after the wedding things will calm down so this tight period is only temporary, but finances are a bit of a balancing act right now. And it makes it harder if we want to buy more equipment for our training. We’ve sold quite a few things on Ebay to buy our power cage/extra weights though so we’re finding ways around it so far

I've attached a couple of pictures, one of our cat (Charlie) and our dog (Cookie). Charlie is getting old now and needs daily medicine to help his kidneys function. I had him as a rescue six years' ago and he's been with me through some difficult times. I know it will be tough when he does finally 'go' so I am enjoying whatever time we have left as the vets cannot be sure if/when he will deteriorate. We had Cookie from a puppy last year.....she's a cutie but being just over one year old she is still in puppy phase of having non-stop energy, which I am definitely not blessed with! Whenever we set up the weights the night before they always come in and have a nose around. Probably checking that we're doing it all right
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-19-2015 at 09:23 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1755
    Macros: 207g Carbs/ 123g Protein/ 40g Fat

Continuing with the reverse diet so upped the calories by roughly another 125 today; this is about maintenance for me so the next increase will take me into my surplus. I am loving this bulking business! I was checking out the ‘Meals Eating Now’ thread under the Nutrition section of the forum and am getting some inspiration from the meals posted on there (e.g. chocolate bar melted on top of oats, yes please!).

Post-workout breakfast: Dark chocolate oatmeal (oats, 4 squares of dark chocolate, chocolate whey protein powder, and egg whites). I think 2 squares would have been enough in hindsight. It was nice but a bit much first thing in the morning!
    Mid-morning: muesli with almond milk
    Lunch: Quorn chicken jumbalaya (with tomatoes, peppers, various spices, rice and chickpeas)
    Dinner: Meat-free sausage casserole (with tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, butter beans and paprika)
    Snack: Hot chocolate, 4 squares dark chocolate

It was arms today, another of my weaker areas and not my favourite workout so I have to be more mindful to making sure I push myself.

Barbell Curl (warm-up sets first)
    7lbs x10 reps
    7lbs x10 reps
    7lbs x8 reps

Close-grip Bench Press
    14.5lbs x8 reps
    14.5lbs x9 reps
    14.5lbs x9reps

Alternating Dumbbell Curl
    13lbs x8 reps each arm
    13lbs x8 reps each arm
    13lbs x8 reps each arm

Seated Tricep Press
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps

Ab circuits
    Hanging leg raise x15 reps
    Air Bicycles 70 reps (to failure)
    Cable crunch 44lbs 15 reps

Hanging leg raise x13 reps
    Air Bicycles 70 reps (to failure)

Air Bicycles 60reps (to failure)

Last week I used 14lb dumbbells for the alternating dumbbell curls but my form wasn’t great so I dropped my weight down today and my form was much better today. The tricep press will need to be increased but I’ll have to make up a dumbbell from the loose plates we have. We have a dumbbell set ranging from 11lbs to 77lbs but the next fixed ones up from the 22lbs are 27.5lbs and that is too much of a jump for my arms!

I might try and find another exercise to replace the air bicycles. I’m not really enjoying them and I know I’ll be probably become reluctant to do them as time goes on. There are other ab exercise options in the programme so I’ll take a look to see what else I can do.
    - Fallen Angel -

Taking Care of Business ChuckBird's Avatar
    ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChuckBird has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great Job. Keep up the good.
    Never give up.

Thank you
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1762
    Macros: 209g Carbs/ 125g Protein/ 40g Fat

So now that my calories have gone up a bit I have room to fit in more of the things I fancy, but I’m still trying to keep a balance so that the majority of food is nutrient-dense.

I’m not sure if crisp sandwiches are popular in other parts of the world but I think a lot of people like them in the UK. Last night my other half said he had a hankering for a crisp sandwich and that got me craving one, so I decided I was going to fit it into my macros for today! I bought us some baked crisps as they are still tasty but lower in fat and less greasy.

We did our weekly measurements this morning. None of my measurements have changed apart from dropping 2lbs on the scale but I’m taking that as being water weight. I can’t wait for the end of next week when I hit my surplus; hopefully then the numbers will steadily start to increase.

I’ve been feeling better mood-wise over the past couple of weeks, which got me thinking more about the effects of being in a calorie deficit for a long time. Even before I starting lifting weights consistently I was eating in a deficit most days – I was counting calories but not macros – and I reckon this must have had an impact on me physically and mentally because I kind of have this buzz about me right now which I am liking

Post-workout breakfast: Peanut butter oatmeal
    Mid-morning: Muesli with almond milk
    Lunch: 5-egg white omelette, plus a wholemeal roll with ready-salted crisps (yum!)
    Dinner: Tuna steak with basmati rice, green beans and cauliflower
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, 4 squares dark chocolate, rice cake with peanut butter and nutella

Today was leg day. I LOVE leg day! My other half filmed me during squats - I have recently purchased Starting Strength so want to make sure I am using correct form and getting the most out of the exercises/not risking injury. I should do this with the other exercises too so will make a point of it over the coming weeks. I have watched the tutorial videos on this website but need to check them against myself.

Barbell Squat (3 warm-up sets first)
    26lbs x10 reps
    31lbs x10 reps
    37lbs x10 reps

Front Squat
    26lbs x10 reps
    26lbs x10 reps
    26lbs x10 reps

Romanian Deadlift
    44lbs x10 reps
    55lbs x10 reps
    55lbs x10 reps

Barbell hip thrust
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps

Standing Calf Raises
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1774
    Macros: 223g Carbs/ 125g Protein/ 37g Fat

I’d kind of planned in my mind to do some cardio today, nothing too intense, but opted for a lazy Sunday instead. We took the dog for a short walk but we’ve been enjoying watching DVDs and a documentary on Rammstein (one of our favourite bands!). I will try and get some cardio in next week as I like the way it gets the heart rate going, not that weight training doesn’t, but you know what I mean

Meals today were:

Smoothie: banana, almond milk, vanilla protein powder
    Lunch: Tuna sandwich with wholemeal bread, bag of baked ready-salted crisps
    Mid-afternoon: Tiramisu rice pudding
    Dinner: Cod with basmati rice, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and Indian spices
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, 4 squares dark chocolate

We’ve been selling stuff on Ebay recently to pay off our power cage, which we’d put on a credit card. Finally today we sold another couple of items so the power cage is now paid off. Best investment we made so far

Back to the lifting tomorrow!
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1784
    Macros: 205g Carbs/ 127g Protein/ 45g Fat

Started week three of the programme.

You’ll probably notice lots of mushrooms and onions in my meals this week. We mainly buy frozen vegetables and it’s nearing the end of the month so we’re using up what is left in the freezer before payday!

Meals today:
    Pre-workout smoothie: banana, almond milk, vanilla protein powder
    Lunch: Meat-free chicken curry with tomatoes, korma paste, onions, mushrooms, chickpeas, and basmati rice (had some korma paste open so decided to use it up in my lunches this week)
    Dinner: Meat-free sausage casserole with tomatoes, paprika, butter beans, onions, and mushrooms.

Chest day today and managed to increase some of my weights. I need to watch my form on the barbell bench presses and make sure I'm keeping my chest up through the entire movement.

I'll have to see if I can make some 24lb dumbbells from the plates I have for the incline dumbbell presses, as the next fixed dumbbells are 27lbs and that's too much of a leap.

Decided to do leg lifts instead of air bicycles as part of the ab circuits as I wasn’t enjoying the bicycles. Hopefully I can add a dumbbell to the leg lifts; I’m just a bit worried about dropping it on my head!

Incline Barbell Bench Press (3 warm-up sets first)
    26lbs x9 reps
    26lbs x9 reps
    26lbs x9 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (weight is each dumbbell)
    22lbs x11 reps
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    30lbs x10 reps
    30lbs x10 reps
    32lbs x10 reps

Dip (Chest Variation)
    Body weight negatives x5 reps

Ab circuits
    Leg lifts x15reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x15 reps

Hanging leg raise x11 reps
    Leg lifts x15reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x11 reps

Hanging leg raise x12 reps
    Leg lifts x15reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x10 reps

I was being watched carefully today to ensure that I didn't slack! I think the stern face means I'm in trouble!

Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-23-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1745
    Macros: 222g Carbs/ 115g Protein/ 38g Fat

These cold mornings are making it a challenge to get out of bed! The heating comes on a little while before the alarm goes off but it doesn't make a huge difference. I get up at 5.30am which gives me time to have my smoothie and sort out the kitty and pooch. My other half is a bit slower in getting up and by the time he dresses and comes down to get started it's 6am. But this gives us plenty of time to get things done, hence my reason for setting the alarm so early

I’m pleased with my macros today. These levels are more how I would like them to be so I’m going to try and replicate these amounts as much as possible from now on.

Meals today:
    Post-workout breakfast: Peanut butter oatmeal (had more oats in this today)
    Lunch: Meat-free chicken curry with tomatoes, korma paste, onions, mushrooms, chickpeas, and basmati rice
    Dinner: Cod curry with (you guessed it!) onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, mustard seeds, Indian spices, and basmati rice.
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, packet of baked crisps, 4 squares dark chocolate

It was back day today and I managed to increase my weights in most exercises. I am getting more confident at listening to my body in terms of knowing when I can increase safely and when I might be best staying with a certain weight to ensure I get all the reps properly and try to go heavier in the next session.

I’ve started to hit weights on my squats which are more challenging (i.e. needing to push myself to come back up from the squat), which is a good feeling. I know that Mark Rippetoe recommends the low-bar position for squats but I just don’t feel comfortable with the bar that low. I will stick with the high-bar position for now; perhaps when I get stronger I can try out the low-bar position again.

I’m also going to look into some other calf exercises as well and alternate them with the standing calf raises as I like some variety.

Barbell Deadlift (3 warm-up sets first)
    50lbs x10 reps
    55lbs x10 reps
    60lbs x10 reps

Barbell Squats
    37lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps

Barbell Row
    50lbs x10 reps
    50lbs x10 reps
    55lbs x10 reps

Dumbbell Row
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps
    22lbs x10 reps

Standing Calf Raises
    - Fallen Angel -

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty kitty! Looks like you workout at home too?

I hate being cold, even working out. You'd think it'd be good because you're gonna warm up, but nope, I like to start warm too.

I haven't found much for hitting the calves outside of calf raises, and hitting them in compounds. I've been doing glute-ham raises since I started my split, and they really make my calves ache. I don't even bother isolating them, because they already get hurt so good, lol. I recommend them if you don't mind hitting the hammies too. I also prefer high bar placement, I never really tried low though, because high just feels right.

Subbing.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Hi! Thanks for subbing

Yes we bought a power cage recently and sold a load of stuff on Ebay to pay for it. We'd also bought a load of weights off of someone for a good price so it's been gradual collection of weights. Our nearest gym is a drive away and we wanted the convenience of working out at home. The only problem with it is that my cat and dog often want to come in and nosey around which can make things interesting when you're trying to squat!

Thanks for the tip about the glute-ham raises, I will check them out! All for trying some new stuff and I'm all for hitting as many muscles as possible!
    - Fallen Angel -

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, the nearest gym for us is a YMCA, so the weight room is less than optimal, and it's a 30min drive out there. So I work out wherever I'm at for the day (my boyfriend's or my dad's). Started out with dumbbells, but realized a bar would be a better investment, and allow for more exercises (and better progression), so I got one off ebay for a good price, and now I'm collecting plates. No waiting for equipment, no reracking someone else's weights, no creepers/unwanted spotters/unsolicited advice givers. Just my me time.

The easiest way to do them is the way BB shows. You just try to descend slowly using your backside, then push yourself up again. I've seen people lean forward and pull back like a quad raise, and I'd probably hurt myself if I tried that, lol.

Calories:1750
    Macros: 212g Carbs/ 115g Protein/ 42g Fat

I’m managing to continue with the increased carbs and keeping the protein more around 1 gram per lb in body weight. I’ve added in extra oats with my breakfast. I have an oats obsession, I love them!

Meals today:
    Lunch: Meat-free chicken curry with tomatoes, korma paste, onions, mushrooms, chickpeas, and basmati rice
    Dinner: Meat-free chicken with basmati rice, mushroom sauce, mushrooms and onions
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, peanut butter and Nutella on a rice cake

Shoulders today. I moved up my weights on the military press but think I should have done the first set with the previous week’s weight (18lbs). I managed to get up to 8 reps on the last set but it was a struggle and my form was beginning to suffer. Ideally I should be able to do a minimum of 8 reps during this programme and once I hit 10 then I move up. I’ll see what happens when I start with 22lbs next week and if my form is still suffering and my reps aren't increasing I will drop the weight down a bit.

I’m going to need to make up some 13lb dumbbells for the side lateral raises next week as these were too easy – I never thought I’d get beyond 11lbs as I always struggled with them in the previous programme! But the other programme had you increase weights gradually and reduce reps with each increase, so by the time I got to 11lbs I had no strength left.

There are no shrugs within this programme (not sure why), but I have done them before and like them so I have added them in. This is a pretty short workout (has taken about 35 minutes the past couple of times) so it made sense to make more of the time I have in the morning and add in an additional exercise

Standing Military Press (3 warm-up sets first)
    22bs x6 reps
    22lbs x7 reps
    22lbs x8 reps

Side Lateral Raise (weight is each dumbbell)
    11lbs x10 reps
    11lbs x10 reps
    11lbs x10 reps

Bent-over Rear Delt Raise (weight is each dumbbell)
    11lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps

Barbell shrugs
    55lbs x12 reps
    55bs x12 reps
    55lbs x12 reps

Ab circuits
    Hanging leg raise x16 reps
    Leg lifts x15 reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x13 reps

Leg lifts x16 reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x12 reps

Leg lifts x15 reps
    Cable crunch 50lbs x14 reps
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1745
    Macros: 213g Carbs/ 118g Protein/ 39g Fat

Rest day today as at university.

Meals today:
    Dinner: 3-egg white omelette, two slices wholemeal bread, baked beans.

Feeling a bit stressed today, which used to trigger emotional eating but I’m much more aware of this now and just drink green tea instead! I'm just flapping about juggling finances to pay for uni fees and save for the wedding next year. My problem is that I have limited disposable income but I want to be able to pay the same amount towards the wedding as my other half, who has more extra income available. He is more than happy to pay what he can and tells me not to worry. So really, I‘m just winding myself up!

He’s really good to me. I got back this evening and he’d bought me some new slippers as I tend to feel the cold in my feet! He’d also bought some more dark chocolate. What better reason to marry him?!

Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-26-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1862
    Macros: 229g Carbs/ 118g Protein/ 46g Fat

So today I upped my calories again and I am now officially done with my reverse diet and am in my 10% surplus for this bulk. I am excited but nervous at the same time; it’s the start of muscle building but also time for the abs to say ‘bye’ for a while! I’ve not been this lean before so there is definitely some nerves about suddenly ‘becoming fat’ and then not being able to get back down to being lean again when I cut :/

I’m also trying to remain realistic about the amount of muscle I can build in-between now and February and am trying not to expect too much. But this ‘mini bulk’ will be a good way to ease myself into the process and prove to myself that I can cut successfully at the end of it.

It was a struggle getting the macros sorted today. I’m trying to keep the protein and fat down but carbs higher. Need to be getting the carbs up to around 250g according to my calculations.

We order our monthly food shopping online for convenience (and because I find it far too stressful doing a big shop in the supermarket!). We'd originally ordered a vegetarian pizza and I'd logged it on myfitnesspal to ensure it fit into my macros for today. However, when the shopping came they had substituted it for a cheese pizza which was much higher in fat! I did panic slightly thinking how I was I going to fit it into my macros. I jigged things around and it was fine but I was a bit annoyed because I couldn't have as much of it as I could have done the veggie one! Anyway, we haven’t had pizza in ages so we really loved eating it! Given the struggle to get the carb levels up I also think I’ll have to increase the rice in my lunches as I’m now eating a lot of oats and muesli and I’m not sure I can sustain that (as much as I love them!) so I’ll try and spread the carbs out a bit more.

Meals today:
    Breakfast: Peanut butter oatmeal (increased oats)
    Mid-morning: Muesli with almond milk (increased muesli)
    Dinner: 1/4 cheese pizza, with salad, garlic and herb dressing.
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, 2 squares dark chocolate

Arms today and increased some of my weights. Last night I made up what I thought was a 24lb dumbbell for the tricep presses. However, once I started doing them this morning I realised I’d made up a 27lb dumbbell which I’ve got in a fixed dumbbell anyway – I didn’t count the bar weight! So I’ll stick with the 27lb next time and try and hit 10 reps in each set.

I’m definitely seeing an increase in strength since I started eating more, it’s amazing how quickly you can start lifting heavier weights when you have more in the tank.

Barbell curl (3 warm-up sets first)
    17lbs x8 reps
    17lbs x8 reps
    17lbs x8 reps

Close-grip Bench Press
    29lbs x10 reps
    29lbs x9 reps
    29lbs x8 reps

Alternating Dumbbell Curl (weight is each dumbbell)
    14lbs x10 reps
    14lbs x10 reps
    14lbs x10 reps

Seated Tricep Press (dumbbell on each leg)
    27lbs x10 reps
    27lbs x8 reps
    27lbs x9 reps

Seated Dumbbell Calf Raises (weight is each dumbbell)
    33lbs x15 reps
    33lbs x20 reps
    33lbs x25 reps
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Cute slippers. Your macros are fine, most women need 40-60g of fat (depending on height, and weight), and you're just a little higher than 1g per lb for protein. I don't see why you'd need to drop them in favor of carbs. If you're getting enough protein, and fat that's what's most important. If you like a little more, that's fine too. Unless it's because carbs are easier to eat more of as far as calories. High protein and fat can make you really full.

Nice job on the strength increases!

Thanks Luna!

Good to know about the nutrition, especially not needing to drop protein to 1 gram per lb body weight. It's just what I'd read around the forums so I tend to try and follow things as closely as I can. I'm still learning to be a bit more flexible!

I must admit it's been quite difficult at times trying to eat the increased carbs (more so at breakfast time) so maybe I need to slacken off and not try so hard to increase carbs further otherwise I may carb myself out
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories:1897
    Macros: 239g Carbs/ 118g Protein/ 45g Fat

Weekly measurements today. Nothing has changed other than my weight went down 0.4lb on the scale. So, now I am officially in my surplus we will see what starts to happen – excited and nervous, but mainly excited!

I am a ‘Sriracha virgin’ but I’d heard how good the stuff was so I bought some and had it in my tuna sandwich. It is really good! I don’t mind spicy (as in hot) foods but I suffer with IBS so foods with a lot of heat don’t always agree with me. So I’ll try not to go too mad with the Sriracha!

Meals today:
    Lunch: Tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread with Sriracha sauce. Bag of baked crisps
    Dinner: Cod curry with onions, mushrooms, Indian spices, and basmati rice
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, bowl of Brussel sprouts (I had a craving for them - don’t judge me lol!), 4 squares dark chocolate

Leg day today. I get so excited for leg day! My weights are continuing to increase with my leg exercises and I’m starting to hit weights which are pushing me physically and I love it. I’m so grateful to have made the move to lifting as it makes me really happy – this might sound over the top to some people but it really has made such a difference to my life.

I’ve been told that I should be including the weight of the bar in these weights so I will have to find out the weight of the bar and start including this in future.

Barbell Squat (3 warm-up sets first)
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps
    49lbs x10 reps

Front Squat
    30lbs x10 reps
    33lbs x10 reps
    35lbs x10 reps

Romanian Deadlift
    66lbs x10 reps
    66lbs x10 reps
    66lbs x10 reps

Barbell Hip Thrust
    25lbs x10 reps
    25lbs x10 reps
    25lbs x10 reps

Ab circuits
    Russian Twist with 15lb dumbbell x40 reps total
    One-arm Otis Ups with 11lb dumbbell x20 reps each arm
    Leg lifts x15reps

Russian Twist with 15lb dumbbell x46 reps total
    Leg lifts x15reps

Russian Twist with 15lb dumbbell x48 reps total
    Leg lifts x15reps

Another photo of my old man, Charlie. This is the position you usually find him in; sleeping on top of the sofa. I took him to the vets again yesterday as he was due another blood test to check his kidney functioning. It seems that he has a urine infection so they gave him an antibiotic otherwise it could quickly turn into renal failure. I feel sad how much I have taken him for granted over the years; you just assume pets will always be there. He is so much a part of our lives. I guess a positive to come out of him being poorly is that I appreciate him much more and what joy he brings me. I hope he is around for a few more years but I will be more conscious of appreciating each day with him.

- Fallen Angel -

Calories:1862
    Macros: 226g Carbs/ 108g Protein/ 51g Fat

Today is a day off from the weights and one where we’d try and get a bit of cardio in, but I can’t say either of us were feeling motivated to start jumping around today. Instead we took the dog out for a walk for an hour or so and although this doesn’t really get the heart thumping that much we love being out in nature and it really helps me de-stress just to be outside. So, it was worth it in that sense

With regards to food for today, in case anyone is unsure, Toad in the Hole is sausages cooked in a batter made from eggs, milk and flour seasoned with salt and pepper (when served on its own this batter is called a Yorkshire Pudding). I've had a bit more fat today than normal (I usually have around 41g-45g), but the majority came from olive oil so I'm guessing that's okay.

Meals today:
    Lunch: Tuna sriracha pattie with sweet potato fries, and salad with garlic and herb dressing
    Dinner: Toad in the hole with Brussel sprouts and cauliflower florets
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, packet of baked crisps, 4 squares dark chocolate

I weighed the bar that I use for deadlifts and curls, and it turns out that the bar weighs 16lbs, so I think I need to be adding that to my plate weights when recording it. Makes me feel better about what I am lifting! I have also weighed the bar that I use for squats/presses and that is 17.5lbs. It all adds up I guess. So if you see a sudden jump in the weights, I have not become superwoman I am now just including the weight of the bar
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 11-29-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    - Fallen Angel -

train hard and smart Outdoor Girl's Avatar
    Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am subbed! Will take a little time to read through the workouts in more detail. You are inspiring me to take my next step and journal my foods more, makes me eat healthier as well.

Home workout person here too. Love the pics of the cat.

I need to weigh my bars again as well. It definitely counts! I should probably label them so I don't forget.
    My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169367373&p=1399499263

Hey! Thanks for subbing 😊

You'll see that my meals are very repetitive. To be honest I kind of prefer it that way at the moment as it makes them easier to track and I tend to stick with what I know with foods. At the weekends I tend to be a little different!

I love working out at home. Perhaps in time I might 'graduate' to working in a gym if the weights we use aren't enough, but there's nowhere too near us right now and I like the set-up we have.

Look forward to your comments 😊
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories: 1880
    Macros: 238g Carbs/ 130g Protein/ 38g Fat

I cant seem to increase my weights on the incline press yet; I've been at the same weight for the past month. Having said that I finally hit 10 reps today so I'm going to start with the same weight next week and then move the weight up slightly.

The dumbbell presses were TOUGH! I increased to 25lbs using plates as the next fixed dumbbells I have are 27s. I didn't think the 25lbs would be as hard as they were, although it got easier with each set. Half of the battle was stabilising my arms. I got up to 8 reps so I will stick with these weights and see if I can increase the reps next week.

I'm persisting with the negative dips but I'm a bit frustrated that I cant push myself back up yet. Hopefully as my calorie surplus continues this will change

I need to get back into drinking enough water; I’m really slacking with this. I drink just over ½ litre while at work and I also have a few cups of green tea. But then when get home it’s just green tea and I want to get in at least another litre of water. I was doing well at this during my cut but I need to make more effort now too :/

Meals today:
    Pre-workout smoothie: banana, almond milk, vanilla whey powder
    Lunch: Meat-free chicken curry with tomatoes, stir-fry veg, chickpeas, and basmati rice
    Dinner: Smoked haddock kedgeree with spices, onions, broccoli, and basmati rice
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, Nutella on two rice cakes

Incline Barbell Bench Press (3 warm-up sets first)
    44lbs x8 reps
    44lbs x10 reps
    44lbs x10 reps

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (weight is each dumbbell)
    25lbs x6 reps
    25lbs x7 reps
    25lbs x8 reps

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    51lbs x8 reps
    51lbs x9 reps
    51lbs x9 reps

Dip (Chest Variation)
    Body weight negatives x6 reps

Seated Dumbbell Calf Raises (weight is each dumbbell)
    33lbs x25 reps
    38.5lbs x25 reps
    38.5lbs x25 reps

Today it was Cookie's turn to supervise the proceedings. We give her one of those Kong toys filled with peanut butter to keep her occupied, but once she's finished she can't resist coming in and checking out what's going on!

- Fallen Angel -

swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swooshie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FallenAngel80 View Post
    You'll see that my meals are very repetitive. To be honest I kind of prefer it that way at the moment as it makes them easier to track and I tend to stick with what I know with foods. At the weekends I tend to be a little different!
    I'm the same way. I like pretty basic meals and I'm fine eating the same thing all the time! Boring, but easy! I've been using my Crock Pot a lot lately. It's kind of nice to make a big batch of something and freeze it in serving size portions. Weekends can get a little dangerous

I'm in!!!
    Caring about what people think of you is useless. Most people don't even know what they think of themselves.

Stop watering dead plants

Cool, thanks for subbing

Glad it's not just me who is okay with a bit of a routine when it comes to foods! I need to use my crockpot more - it's lovely to come home to a house filled with the smell of food :P
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories: 1862
    Macros: 222g Carbs/ 130g Protein/ 43g Fat

I’m not sure what it was about today’s training, but I was breathing so hard in-between sets this morning. I was so pumped! I think it’s the increase in weights making each week that little bit more challenging. It was great though, as I really feel like I am pushing myself. I did reach my 10 reps for most of the exercises today but it wasn’t a case of just banging out the 10 reps, it was hard getting through them. So, next week I will start with a lot of my finishing weights and see whether or not I can increase them further.

After saying I wouldn’t do bicycle crunches the other week, I did them this morning due to space constraints/not wanting to have to disturb my other half who was doing his deadlifts. I got a real burn from them this morning which felt good, so I think keeping the variety in my ab work will be important and I shouldn’t discount them entirely just because they’re not my favourite ab exercise.

Just a thought I wanted to share...is it really bad that I'm loving this so much that my motivation to keep on with my PhD is ever-decreasing and that I like writing this journal each day more than my essays for uni??

Meals today:
    Pre-workout smoothie: banana, almond milk, vanilla whey powder
    Lunch: Meat-free chicken curry with tomatoes, stir-fry veg, chickpeas, and basmati rice
    Dinner: Meat-free sausage casserole with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, butter beans, and paprika

Barbell Deadlift (3 warm-up sets first)
    76.5lbs x10 reps
    76.5lbs x10 reps
    82lbs x10 reps

Barbell Squat
    67lbs x10 reps
    72.5lbs x10 reps
    72.5lbs x10 reps

Barbell Row
    71lbs x10 reps
    71lbs x10 reps
    71lbs x10 reps

One-arm Dumbbell Row
    25lbs x10 reps
    25lbs x9 reps
    25lbs x10 reps

Ab circuits
    55lb Cable Crunch x15 reps
    Hanging Leg Raise x13 reps
    Air Bicycles x35 reps

55lb Cable Crunch x10 reps
    Air Bicycles x40 reps

55lb Cable Crunch x10 reps
    Air Bicycles x40 reps
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 12-01-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

Calories: 1894
    Macros: 254g Carbs/ 114g Protein/ 39g Fat

I’m higher on the carbs today and not as much protein as I’d like, but that’s what happens when you bake some muesli flapjacks and can’t possibly not have one, oops!

I cooked the Chipotle chilli in the slow-cooker (crockpot) last night so this morning the house was filled with the smell of food as we came down to do our training. I turned the slow-cooker down to keep it warm during the day and it was really nice to get home and be able to eat without the bother of cooking this evening

Shoulders are one of my weaker areas. Despite hitting my maximum 10 reps on most exercises today I will probably only increase the weights on the rear delt raises as these were the only ones which were relatively easy to achieve.

Meals today:
    Pre-workout smoothie: banana, almond milk, and vanilla whey powder
    Dinner: Chipotle chilli with sweet potato, quinoa, tomatoes, kidney beans, mushrooms, and onions
    Snacks: Hot chocolate, packet of baked crisps, one homemade muesli flapjack

Standing Military Press (3 warm-up sets first)
    39.5lbs x8 reps
    39.5lbs x8 reps
    39.5lbs x7 reps

Side Lateral Raise (weight is each dumbbell)
    14lbs x10 reps
    14lbs x10 reps
    14lbs x10 reps

Bent-over Rear Delt Raise (weight is each dumbbell)
    15lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps
    15lbs x10 reps

Barbell Shrugs
    71lbs x10 reps
    82lbs x10 reps
    82lbs x10 reps

Barbell Standing Calf Raises
    82lbs x15 reps x3 sets feet straight
    82lbs x15 reps x3 sets feet turned outwards
    82lbs x15 reps x3 sets feet turned inwards
    Last edited by FallenAngel80; 12-02-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    - Fallen Angel -

JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Another work-out-at-home-cat-and-dog-lover-and-eat-the-same-food-all-the-time shortie checking in

Cookie and Charlie are adorable. Hope he doesn't go into renal failure. I lost my cat a few years ago to renal failure. It is pretty common. Just give him lots of snuggles!! My one cat likes to work out with me sometimes. I have a video of me squatting down onto her head

Your foods look so good! Chipotle chili sounds amazing! I tend to eat the same things all the time. It's easier for me to track. I crock pot chicken breasts and shred them and use them in various dishes.

Your workouts are looking great. Keep up the good work!
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159386641

2018 goals:
    Lift more than I did in 2017, which won't be hard because I haven't lifted much since March 2017
    Build back the muscle I lost while I went through a "I hate lifting" phase
    Love lifting again