SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

Bloodflow restriction training

http://www.strengtheory.com/blood-fl...ccessory-work/

Cliffs: Can improve both strength and hypertrophy. Can be a way of adding extra volume to a program that is already maxed out in terms of what you can recover from.

Has anyone tried this? What did you think?

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    http://www.strengtheory.com/blood-fl...ccessory-work/

Cliffs: Can improve both strength and hypertrophy. Can be a way of adding extra volume to a program that is already maxed out in terms of what you can recover from.

Has anyone tried this? What did you think?
    Greg Nuckols' Article

The article you posted is a good one. Nuckols is one of my favorites.

His "Key Points" are on the money.

However, add a little and provide my perspective, as you requested.

Occlusion Training

Yes, I used it from time to time. It works for Hypertrophy.

I did presentation in at a strength clinic in 2012.

Let me say that my first reaction to reading about it back in 2008 was like most, is sounded crazy.

I know you do your home work. However, for those who might be reading this without your background lets look at why it works.

"The Pump"

This is also know as "Metabolic Stress". It is created when blood becomes trapped in the muscles.

Research shows that "The Pump" produces a hormonal cascade that triggers muscle growth.

Traditional Hypertrophy and Occlusion Training both elicit "The Pump".

Arterial Blood Flow

Blood is pumped into a working muscle.

Venous Blood Flow

This is where blood is pumped back form the muscle to the heart.

Blood Flow Restriction

When a muscle contracts, it restricts blood flow back to the heart.

Performing a high rep hypertrophy set traps/restricts venous blood back to the heart.

Occlusion Training does the same, venous blood flow is restricted trapping blood in the muscle.

It similar to...

Blowing Up A Balloon

You blow air into the balloon. Between each breath, you squeeze the balloon shut. The more air you blow in the balloon and trap in the balloon you trap, the bigger the balloon becomes.

Hypertrophy Protocol

Occlusion Training falls into the category of Hypertrophy Training. "The Pump" mechanism for Occlusion Training is virtually the same as Traditional Hypertrophy.

Thus, both are effective method of increasing muscle mass.

Some strength is increased with hypertrophy training but not to the same extent as a "Limit Strength" Training Program.

The Synergistic Effect of Training

It equates to 2 + 2 = 5. The definition being the "Sum is greater than its parts.

With that in mind, let's address one resource Nuckols quoted...

Leubbers (2014) research demonstrated "...the group doing high-intensity training combined with low-intensity BFR had the largest increases in the squat."

Breaking Leubbers Research Down

1) Research shows that "Limit Strength" is increased when some type of Hypertrophy Training is stacked/combined in a program.

Dr Michael Zourdos' slide presentation on "Optimal Training" examine this.
    http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.or...vePDFS-267.pdf

2) Occlusion Training is another form of Hypertrophy Training. Thus, it makes sense that Occlusion Training or any other type of Hypertrophy Training when ADDED to a "Limit Strength" Training Program WILL increase strength.

However, in all fairness there is one research article that indicated strength could be developed with Occlusion Training.

Influence of compressive gear on powerlifting performance: role of blood flow restriction training.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395280

This clinical abstract indicates that strength was increased with Occlusion Training.

However, the Occlusion Training Protocol was modified.

The Difference

The difference with Occlusion Training for strength Training was...

Arterial and Venous Blood Flow Restriction

The wrap and Powerlifting "Gear" used was so tight that it RESTRICTED arterial blood flow!

The research article showed nearly complete arterial and venous blood flow restriction occurred. That meaning very little blood flow entered the muscles or was allowed to leave the muscles.

With this method, you are essentially applying a tourniquet to your muscles.

In layman's terms, it's like giving your muscles a heart attack.

My Personal Perspective

I tried this method for a couple of months.

1) I did NOT see any results.

2) The pain from completing shutting down arterial and venous blood flow was unbelievable.

Dr Jeremy Loenekke

This is one of the leading researchers on Occlusion Training.

Prior to my presentation on Occlusion Training, I contacted Loenneke about this method for increasing strength.

Loenneke saw no value in it, nor do I. I do NOT recommend this method.

Summary

1) Occlusion Training shares the same method of increasing muscle mass as Traditional Hypertrophy Training. It other words, it works.

2) Both Traditional Hypertrophy and Occlusion Training increase strength but NOT to the same degree heavy lifting does.

3) Combining "Limit Strength" Training with type of Hypertrophy Training (Power Training, as well) provide a synergistic effect...make you stronger.

2) Occlusion Training works for bodybuilding. It is one of many tools that does.

3) It is works for rehabilitation of individuals or on recovery days that you haven't completely recovered from.

4) Do NOT wrap the muscles too tight. You want partial venous blood flow restriction, NOT complete.

A good rule is on a pain scale of 1 - 10, you need to be around a 6 maybe 7.

Some practice is required to find how much tension you need to apply to the wrap. I prefer to use exercise tube to wrap with.

Also, this method is ONLY for health individuals!

Bottom Line

It works.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 10-28-2015 at 05:25 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks Kenny. Having tried it TODAY I found it very painful and exhausting. I have say I agree it probably isn't worth it although I am going to try a few more times to see if I can become more acclimatised.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Thanks Kenny. Having tried it TODAY I found it very painful and exhausting.
    The Pain

Lactate build up is the cause of this. Ironically, lactate is responsible for the hormonal cascade necessary for hypertrophy/increased muscle mass.

As Arnold said, "You can't grow without the burn"...aka "The Pump".

Exhaustion

That statement applies with standard Limit Strength and Hypertrophy Method, as well.

Occlusion Training

One of the reason Occlusion Training works due to increase in venous blood flow restriction and hypoxia.

The Size Principle

This refers to the muscle fiber firing sequence. The firing sequence in any movement is...

Slow Twitch (Type I) > Fast Twitch (Type IIa) > "Super" Fast Twitch (Type IIb/x).

Muscle Fatigue/Exhaustion

In order to fully recruit "Super" Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber, you need to wear out (so to speak) Slow Twitch.

When Slow Twitch tire, Fast Twitch (Type IIa) take over.

When Fast Twitch (Type IIa) are exhausted, "Super" Fast Twitch (Type IIb/x) are finally innervated.

Pre-Exhaustion

Slow Twitch Muscle fiber rely on oxygen. The restriction of oxygen to Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber forces Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber to come into play much faster.

I have say I agree it probably isn't worth it
    Let Me Reiterate

It WORK and is needed for those who want optimal results under the following conditions.

1) Occlusion Training is alone NOT the most effective method of increasing strength. The same applies to Traditional Bodybuilding/Hypertrophy Methods.

2) Some type of Hypertrophy Method NEED to be employed for to maximize strength (increasing your 1 Repetition Max).

Occlusion Training and/or Traditional Bodybuilding Method work in conjunction with a well written strength program.

although I am going to try a few more times to see if I can become more acclimatised.
    Learning

It took me a few months of working with it to get it down. Part of the learning curve was how tight to wrap the elastic tubing. Another part was how to write it into my strength program for Powerlifting.

So, no one learns anything from trying it once or a couple of times.

In working with a woman for two week with her training program, she declared the program didn't work.

My reply to her was, "Nothing works in two weeks!"

The adage, "Rome wasn't built in a day" is around for a reason.

Kenny Croxdale

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had a very hard time with it. It lit up my elbow tendinitis like crazy. The pain lasted for well over a week after each session. I'm not sure what the interaction was, but it doesn't seem compatible with inflammatory injuries/conditions.

rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    I had a very hard time with it. It lit up my elbow tendinitis like crazy. The pain lasted for well over a week after each session. I'm not sure what the interaction was, but it doesn't seem compatible with inflammatory injuries/conditions.
    what protocol were you using? 1rm%, reps, sets, wrap width, tightness?
    NASM CPT

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rbmorrison View Post
    what protocol were you using? 1rm%, reps, sets, wrap width, tightness?
    30% 1RM, 3x10. I used training bands for wraps, the ones that look like surgical tubing. I probably went too tight.

I believe that you are supposed to do them up tight enough to prevent blood escaping (venous flow) but without completely stopping arterial flow. The result should be a brutal pump in the affected muscle. If it just feels numb, perhaps that means it's too tight - but I'm just guessing here.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    there's a good thread in the O35 about this as well
    OG

rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rbmorrison has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    30% 1RM, 3x10. I used training bands for wraps, the ones that look like surgical tubing. I probably went too tight.
    Try 20-30% 1rm for 30,15,15,15 w/ 30 sec rest. The arms should be wrapped to a 9 out of 10 tightness if using a small width cuff(such as a quick release tourniquet). It shouldn't be painful before you start but there may be slight discoloration. First set should be rather easy. And if you can't complete the sets you are using too much weight or wrapping too tight.
    NASM CPT

Originally Posted by rbmorrison View Post
    Try 20-30% 1rm for 30,15,15,15 w/ 30 sec rest. The arms should be wrapped to a 9 out of 10 tightness if using a small width cuff(such as a quick release tourniquet). It shouldn't be painful before you start but there may be slight discoloration. First set should be rather easy. And if you can't complete the sets you are using too much weight or wrapping too tight.
    9 out of 10

That too tight.

It not recommended by the researchers.

As someone who's used this method, I can also tell you the a 9 is way too high.

The tightness need to be in the area of a 6 or a 7 out of 10.

Kenny Croxdale