nmedlock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Post Umbilical Hernia Surgery

It has now been 10 days since I got off of the operating table for my umbilical hernia. It didn't cause me too much pain to begin with and was only sensitive to the touch. Then after doing heavy lifts (deadlift among them) one day after I got back from the gym I noticed that I was bleeding from my belly button. Made a few calls and someone I talked to recommended surgery. As I was talking to the surgeon after post surgery he said I have a lifting restriction of 10 pounds for 5-7 weeks! That doesn't sit well with me, yet I don't want to re-tear my abdominals.

So, is there anyone that has gone through this and has some good recommendations as to what I can do at this very moment? It's just driving me crazy not being able to lift for so long, and I'm sure there are some isolated arms/shoulders or something that I could do. Any advice/ideas would be amazing! Thanks!

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nmedlock View Post
    It has now been 10 days since I got off of the operating table for my umbilical hernia. It didn't cause me too much pain to begin with and was only sensitive to the touch. Then after doing heavy lifts (deadlift among them) one day after I got back from the gym I noticed that I was bleeding from my belly button. Made a few calls and someone I talked to recommended surgery. As I was talking to the surgeon after post surgery he said I have a lifting restriction of 10 pounds for 5-7 weeks! That doesn't sit well with me, yet I don't want to re-tear my abdominals.

So, is there anyone that has gone through this and has some good recommendations as to what I can do at this very moment? It's just driving me crazy not being able to lift for so long, and I'm sure there are some isolated arms/shoulders or something that I could do. Any advice/ideas would be amazing! Thanks!
    That's pretty standard as far as the recommendation for recovery . . . your surgeon may or may not clear you to do a little more earlier. I had mine repaired earlier this year and that was the standard timeline that they gave going in. Mine was a relatively small hernia, but they did use a mesh backing. But after the surgery, my doc told me to just take it easy for the first 2 weeks and then see how I felt. He did a check-up around that time and cleared me to start going above the 10 pound limit and just said to self-monitor and that if something seemed to aggravate it . . . to stop or dial it back.

I had my hernia follow about 2 years after a distal bicep rupture. Trust me . . . you're not going to set yourself back very far even if you are at the edge of that recovery period. And the downside of pushing too far, too fast, with a hernia repair can be bad news. If you are feeling spry, couldn't hurt to make a call to your surgeon, get a follow-up and see if you can get a green light to push things up just a bit. But if that happens, take it SLOW and careful

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by taf1968; 10-19-2015 at 05:43 PM.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

nmedlock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks man, I'll just wait it out I suppose. The follow apt. I have is a month after, so here in about 3 weeks. I will ask then. Wouldn't want to tear something else again I suppose! Thanks for the information and I hope all goes well for you. Mine did not need the mesh thank goodness. I really appreciate the additional info!

hollystruve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys - I wanted to see if you had any updates post surgery? I am 8 days post umbilical surgery right now and getting my plan in place to start working out again. I was told I could start light cardio this weekend. 10 pounds for 2nd week, then up to 20 pounds until 4 weeks. at 6 weeks, i can start to slowly increase in weight there and start ab specific movements at that time. My surgeon was very clear that even though I was lifting heavier (crossfit/lightweight powerlifting) that my body still needed the full 6 weeks before I went too heavy. Initially, I scoffed at this, but have been researching and reading a lot where people came back too soon and re-opened their stitches even with mesh. Curious to see how you have done post op and where you are now compared to where you were prior to surgery!

Thanks!

cmg590 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Umbilical Hernia Surgery

I had umbilical hernia surgery about 3 years ago, and like many others, the hernia itself wasn't causing much pain or discomfort. I was doing abs everyday with my workouts with ease and never had much of an issue aside from the residual soreness here and there.
    My surgeon recommended a mesh patch be place due to my heavy lifting, sutured it in with over 6 PDS (Very dense) sutures to ensure it was not coming out. He did advise, however, that due to the mesh being a foreign material, you will feel it pull and tug while lifting, which I often do.
    What I didn't expect was the swelling that would come along with each workout. Due to the swelling in my lower abdominal region each time I work out, I began to shy away from abs all together after surgery. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I am a surgical assistant so I know better than to overwork something that has already been repaired, and I know that this comes with the territory, but just any thoughts or recommendations.

Thegymrat97 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by taf1968 View Post
    That's pretty standard as far as the recommendation for recovery . . . your surgeon may or may not clear you to do a little more earlier. I had mine repaired earlier this year and that was the standard timeline that they gave going in. Mine was a relatively small hernia, but they did use a mesh backing. But after the surgery, my doc told me to just take it easy for the first 2 weeks and then see how I felt. He did a check-up around that time and cleared me to start going above the 10 pound limit and just said to self-monitor and that if something seemed to aggravate it . . . to stop or dial it back.

I had my hernia follow about 2 years after a distal bicep rupture. Trust me . . . you're not going to set yourself back very far even if you are at the edge of that recovery period. And the downside of pushing too far, too fast, with a hernia repair can be bad news. If you are feeling spry, couldn't hurt to make a call to your surgeon, get a follow-up and see if you can get a green light to push things up just a bit. But if that happens, take it SLOW and careful

Good luck with it.
    I had a complete distal bicep tendon tear in 2015, still can't supinate that wrist much anymore, what tips do you have for that? Currently came back from another 3 year hiatus after a pec tear and tendon damage that still sometimes gives shooting pain, and an abdominal hernia popped up, apparently it's in the family. How long of a recovery was that for you?
    bulking right now

bw 167-169.5
    not sure about bf% guessing 8

progress/goals

bench x 5: 200/225
    squat x 5: 215/315
    deadlift x 3: 315/405