Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20
    adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000)
    Working to haul my lift/rest schedule back on the tracks, so today was hip thrust day as usual. If I can get to the gym tomorrow, I'll be back on the usual. Phew! I can feel it. I went to bed last night at 9:45. Wild Saturday after all the stress of having to be a girl for the prom stuff. :-P

Hip Thrusts - AMRAP, 1, 1 with 90% 1RM - 9, 6, 7 so clearly no longer my 1RM.
    DB Incline Presses - 3x10 with 25s
    Reverse Deficit Lunges - 2x10 with 50s
    Inverted Rows w/Underhand Grip - 2xAMRAP - 13, 12
    Push Ups - 2xAMRAP - 16, 16
    Forward Monster Walks - 2x20

Lunges were tough to hold the DBs after last night but surprisingly my wrists held out OK. The inverted rows and push ups did me in after the incline presses.
    Online Training and Nutrition Coach
    www.AccidentalFitnessQuest.com

Have a training or nutrition question? PM me or ask me on FB: www.facebook.com/AccidentalFitnessQuest

adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000) adriannec is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squeezed my Squat Day in really late last night so I'm back on schedule at this point. Yay, today is a rest day. The deadlifts at 70% felt AWESOME without straps. I was shocked and really excited to figure that out. I wanted to up the reps, but I stayed with the plan.

LOL, squats however were a different story. I was supposed to use 90% of 1RM, but I decided to aim for a PR instead. I did the first set with 110% 1RM and managed a rep. I didn't think starting the set that I'd get the rep. For the second set, I managed two but the second rep pulled to the side slightly. I got full ROM and it was slow and brutal.

I dropped the weight to 100% of 1RM and somehow did 3 reps. Boom! Lordy I've tried hard to get that number up. I'm finally seeing it move after this experiment.

BB Back Squats - AMRAP, 1, 1 at 90%
    DB OHP - 4x5 with 25s
    Speed Deadlifts at 70% - 3x3s
    Chin Up Grip Pulldowns - 3x10
    DB Hypers - 3x20 with 15
    Seated Band Abductions w/Forward Lean - 2x30

The abductions were killer after the hypers.

Have a training or nutrition question? PM me or ask me on FB: www.facebook.com/AccidentalFitnessQuest

LynnInAla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It seems your little "experiment" is going well, I've seen a lot of PR's in the last few weeks. Yay for PR's!! Do I even want to know what Forward Monster Walks are or will I be finding out soon?

LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LynnInAla View Post
    Do I even want to know what Forward Monster Walks are or will I be finding out soon?
    I would like to know!
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/202lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/210lbs

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    I would like to know!
    Originally Posted by LynnInAla View Post
    It seems your little "experiment" is going well, I've seen a lot of PR's in the last few weeks. Yay for PR's!! Do I even want to know what Forward Monster Walks are or will I be finding out soon?
    You take one of those short resistance band loops and put it around your knees (above or below). Get in an athletic stance with feet wide, knees out. Walk forward maintaining that stance for however many steps, then backwards if you want more work. Keeping your stance wide and knees out, keeps the tension on your abductors the entire time. I'm working to build up some strength to help my squat power.

This is similar to how I do them, but I put the band higher up. Sometimes just below my knees or sometimes just above. If I have it as low as in this video, I don't tend to feel it as much in my glutes.

Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000) Paichka is just really nice. (+1000)
    That looks like a great idea! I could use some work on stabilization for squats (my knees tend to creep inward) so I wonder if this move would help with that.

LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LunaLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks burny. Like crab walks but forward.

Originally Posted by Paichka View Post
    That looks like a great idea! I could use some work on stabilization for squats (my knees tend to creep inward) so I wonder if this move would help with that.
    Strengthening your abductors can help with that issue for sure. A few things I put into client programming are seated and standing abduction variations (banded or cable) and also banded squats. If you put a resistance loop around your knees while squatting, that gives you something to push out against. It shouldn't be enough to provide work, but just enough for a reminder it's there and to push against.

I've also used a band around the knees during hip thrusts and RDLs for similar reasons. It gets the glutes to activate and increases power.

Not a good wrist day today. They were achy before I started but they held out on the bench presses pretty well. If they're hurting already, the compression/pressure from pressing bothers them in addition to the pulling. I usually do seated cable rows, but I'm done with the stupid machine with the sticky cables. I sat down today and did two reps with the stack dragging and bumping along. I just couldn't so I'm moving to BB Rows since the only thing to stick and drag there is ME. LOL.

I usually do more than 50 lbs but without straps and already hurting going in, this was pushing it. I think I can strap again next week if all goes well. It cannot come soon enough. Glute bridges were banded around the knees and the monster walks were banded above and below for extra resistance. I'm happy with the 2 reps per set at max weight. Not a huge increase but something.

BB Bench Press - AMRAP, 1, 1 with 90% 1RM - Did 3 sets of 2 reps at 100% 1RM.
    BB Glute Bridges - 2x20 with 125
    BB Bentover Rows - 3x12 with 50 - Wrists were dying here today even though the weight was really low.
    High Step Ups - 2x12
    Lying Hamstring Curls - 3x12 with 47.5
    Forward and Backward Monster Walks - 2x40 reps per side

Glutes are some of the most powerful muscles in the body. Hip Thrusts are a great glute builder and also one where you can often increase the weight frequently over time. Like any exercise, hip thrusts can hurt if done incorrectly. Proper padding like a bar pad, yoga mat or squat sponge can help with the obvious issue where the bar hits.

Besides that, the most common complaints I hear are upper and/or lower back pain and neck pain. Here’s great image that I snagged from Instagram that addresses these:

- If your bench is too high, you’ll hinge in the wrong spot and this can hurt your upper back. Try a lower bench or aerobic step with risers. If you end up with bruising on your back, a mat over the bench/step can help.

- Keep your gaze forward and chin tucked instead of having your head back. This helps with neck pain and it can also make tucking your pelvis easier and more natural to protect your lower back. I see the head back issue a lot in hip thrust videos and my neck hurts just watching it.

- If your feet are too far out in front of you, that can take the work out of the glutes and also make getting the pelvic tilt harder. This can hurt your lower back and make you pretty sore. Bring your feet in closer to your body so that they are about 90 degrees with the floor at the top.

If you find yourself with aches and pains from hip thrusts, check to see if you’re accidentally doing one or more of these things. If you must thrust, thrust correctly.

Alright! Straps were back in action today and it felt good to use them again. Since gyms are crawling with all kinds of ooze and germs that no one wants to imagine, I "lined" my wrist with folded toilet paper to protect the open skin and I made sure to rush to wash afterwards. Yes, I'm a germophobe but I also have the kinda luck that would have me end up with MRSA. LOL!

Sumo Deadlifts - AMRAP, 1, 1 with 90%
    Assisted Tricep Dips - 3x12, 12, 8 with 50 lb assist
    DB Sissy Squats - 2x8 with 30 lbs
    Chin Up Grip Pulldowns - 3x4 with 80 lbs
    Standing Cable Abductions - 2x20 with 15 lbs
    Banded Single Leg Hip Thrusts - 2xAMRAP

I warmed up and started the first set of sumos with 90% and got 3 reps, so I decided to see if I could add some weight. I dropped on 5 lbs for the second set and got 2 reps. For the 3rd, I added another 5 lbs and got 2 reps with what was 100% of 1RM. These last two weights were ones that I missed a couple weeks ago, so I'll take 2 reps with each.

I was able to add a rep to each set on the pulldowns and also do slow negatives. That cable machine is just ridiculous. I know one day they're going to oil it and I'll probably rip the cables right off in surprise.

I cannot tell you how glad I am to be looking at two entire rest days.

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day used to mean not having to go to the gym for me since I treated it like a chore. I would just lay around all day and then stuff myself with dessert after dinner, because it was a holiday. Now Mother's Day means that I get to have the gym all to myself to make funny faces, practice posing, and just feel good. Posing still hurts no matter how much practice you do.

Today's Lift Day was:

BB Hip Thrusts at 75% 1RM for 3 sets of 8 reps. I felt these and that last set was rough to get all 8.
    Deficit Reverse Lunges 3x10 with 45
    DB Incline Presses 3x10 with 25s
    Inverted Rows w/underhand grip 2xAMRAP - Managed 13 and 13
    Push Ups 2xAMRAP - 18, 16
    Seated Band Abductions 3x20 with band over and band under knees.

Logging last night's workout since it was a late one. I've started to realize that pushing the workout to nighttime is better for the panic over the To Do List. The Kid also likes late workouts so it's a win win there since she goes with me. I'm still working on the timing of food around it. Last night I had part of dinner an hour before, but I don't think that was enough since I started to fizzle a little during the workout.

BB Back Squats at 75% - 3x5
    DB OHPs - 3x6 only got 3 on the last set. Arms were SO tired and halfway through rep 4, the right one went poof off to the side.
    Speed Deadlifts at 60% - 3x3
    Chin Up Grip Pulldowns - 3x12
    Lying Hamstring Curls - 3x12
    Seated Band Abductions - 2x40

aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think I put more effort into later workouts...I don't know if it's because I've eaten most of my calories for the day or because my brain is naturally better functioning at night.
    "Never avoid opportunities. They may come in any form." - Carl Allen, Yes Man
    NASM CPT and NPC Bikini Competitor

junkfoodfittie.wordpress.com
    My Journal:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172513881
    FB/Instagram/Twitter: @jcooliegirl

Originally Posted by aquamarine84 View Post
    I think I put more effort into later workouts...I don't know if it's because I've eaten most of my calories for the day or because my brain is naturally better functioning at night.
    Strangely enough, I think I agree with you here. LOL, not strange that I agree with you but strange that I agree about late workouts. I thought I was a mid-morning person but strength seems better late. With the exception of this workout when I know the issue was that I tried to overthink it and cut my food short. Note to self: just eat and stop thinking too hard.

I'm liking the late night workout thing. This week has been hellish with the busy stuff. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but The Kid is taking behind the wheel lessons to get her license at last. She's almost 18 and hasn't really cared about getting it. The driving school here sucks so I chose a kick booty one that's a 30 minute drive away. The instructors are great and I found a Starbucks to park myself at while I wait. It's altered gym time though.

I got the dinner issue squared away for last night's WO. Felt solid with no shaking or crapping out with energy this time. Had the gym to myself too.

BB Bench Press with 70% 1RM - 3 sets of 5
    BB Banded Glute Bridges - 2x20 with 125
    Bentover BB Rows - 3x12 with 55 - pretty easy on my back, wrists are still getting adjusted without straps
    High Step Ups - 2x15
    DB Hypers - 3x20 with 15
    Standing Cable Abductions - 2x20 with 15

Made it to the gym yesterday during mid-afternoon instead of having to wait until late night. I think I hit the slow time before everyone got off work which was nice. Deadlifts felt pretty strong today even though the reps were pretty tough. I did my usual 3 warm up sets and kept the reps down. I wanted to take a 4th since the 3rd felt pretty heavy. I was worried it would bleed into the working sets so I skipped it.

Sumo Deadlifts - 3x5 with 70% 1RM - All 3 sets felt pretty good but harder than I expected.
    Tricep Dips - 3x12 with 50 assist. - OMG, the last set was brutal on the arms.
    Close Stance Leg Press - 3x12
    Close Grip Pulldowns - 3x5
    Single Leg Hip Thrusts - 2xAMRAP
    Lateral Band Walks - 2x20

I got asked the other day about my workouts since they're full body 4 times a week which isn't always common. Upper/lower splits are one very effective way to organize your workouts over 4 days a week, but they aren't the only way. I alternate during the year between upper/lower and full body workouts.

The volume across the week is similar with both program variations, but It's just spread across more days. Same exercises and rep counts for the most part. The frequency is the main thing that changes between the two. Upper/lower hits muscle groups 2-3 times a week and full body 4 times a week.

The difference in results between the frequencies doesn't necessarily lead to better results. Studies haven't yet proven a definite correlation beyond 3 times a week. Twice a week does seem more beneficial for many of us than obliterating muscle groups once a week. Three times a week might be better than two. The 4th time is a gray area that may or may not make a difference.

However for me, the mental and recovery aspects are better at times with full body. Age is a factor to consider in recovery and I'm assuming that my 47 year old body likes the "break". It seems to like spreading the volume across the week instead of having a workout that hits upper or lower hard. Soreness is more manageable and I tend to see more frequent progression with full body.

My mind also likes the relief of not having a leg day for part of the year as well. I do alternate between the two so I still hit the more traditional splits when I change programming up.

Trying my darndest to catch up with logging. Life suddenly got quite crazy, but I've been hitting the gym. Priorities go to life and actually doing the work, even if logging the work gets behind. Here are the last two workouts I did, NOT done on the same day. I'm not that crazy.

Sunday's Workout:

BB Hip Thrusts at 80% 1RM - 3x8 - Pretty easy so I'm sure my 1RM has gone up here.
    DB Incline Presses - 3x12
    Deficit Reverse Lunges - 2x10
    Inverted Rows - 2xAMRAP Did 14 on the first set and then I got excited and lowered the bar a notch for 8 on the second set.
    Push Ups - 2xAMRAP - 18, 18

Yesterday's Workout:

Squats with 85% 1RM - 2 sets of 5 hard reps
    BB OHP - 3x12 - These were agonizing since those inverted rows had my lats so sore. My lats don't get sore but they sure did this time.
    Speed Deadlifts with 65% - 3x3
    Chin Up Grip Pulldowns - 3x12 - Again these were painful on the lats. Shhh, I dropped the weight big time on the last set.
    Hamstring Curls - 3x12
    Seated Band Abductions - 2x40

I’m currently in a strength building phase, so I'm experimenting with increasing the weight on my core lift each week beyond what I usually do for that rep range. I typically use 70% of my 1RM for 5-6 reps. This 3 week cycle I'm attempting to rotate 80-90% and aim for 5 reps per set.

As the percentage goes up, I drop a set to adjust the volume to allow for overreaching effort. Last week I did 3 sets of 5 at 80%, this week 2 sets of 5 at 85%, and trying for 1 set of 5 at 90%. This way my body can adjust to moving a heavier weight and "practice" without taking a huge hit.

This is a good example of how periods of pushing hard alternated with periods of backing off for recovery throughout the year can help with progress. I was glad to only do 2 sets on those squats. The Kid did RDLs while I worked on my speed deadlifts. I love that she still wants to go every now and then. LOL, she said she likes going much more when she just goes "sometimes."

Originally Posted by adriannec View Post
    Trying my darndest to catch up with logging. Life suddenly got quite crazy, but I've been hitting the gym. Priorities go to life and actually doing the work, even if logging the work gets behind.
    If I get too far behind (more than two workouts), I don't bother playing catch up. I know I did it, it's logged in a notebook, I just continue with the next one online. Maybe note a couple interesting things, like a weight going up, or a PR, or something.

I’m currently in a strength building phase, so I'm experimenting with increasing the weight on my core lift each week beyond what I usually do for that rep range. I typically use 70% of my 1RM for 5-6 reps. This 3 week cycle I'm attempting to rotate 80-90% and aim for 5 reps per set.

As the percentage goes up, I drop a set to adjust the volume to allow for overreaching effort. Last week I did 3 sets of 5 at 80%, this week 2 sets of 5 at 85%, and trying for 1 set of 5 at 90%. This way my body can adjust to moving a heavier weight and "practice" without taking a huge hit.
    Cool stuff! I've still gotta get a bench, and get my squats back up (had to figure out some form issues), before I can worry about going ham on my core lifts. Also currently in a deficit, which takes a lot out of my deadlifts. Liking my strength, and hypertrophy mix right now, but eventually I want to go into strength focus, so I like reading about other peoples' methods.

And yay for the kid joining you. Love the "I like going if it's sometimes" attitude.

I have to admit I love this over-reaching phase. It needs a better name for it besides over-reaching though. Crushing 1RM Phase???? Anywho, it's good for the brain too along with the body. Having to face doing 5 reps with 85% is pretty daunting, but the fact that as the percentage goes up the number of sets goes down makes it better. I was worried with the bench math today but figured it was "just two sets."

The reps were hard but focus got them done. The best part was it's using a weight that I struggled to get 2-3 reps with last month. Now I did 2 sets of 5 and I might have been able to get a 6th really ugly rep. I resisted since those don't count. I did celebrate between sets though.

BB Bench Press with 85% 1RM - 2 sets of 5 plus some random dancing between sets
    BB Glute Bridges - 2x20
    Bentover BB Row - 3x12
    DB High Step Ups - 2x12
    DB Hypers - 3x20
    Lateral Band Walks - 2x20/side

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Cool stuff! I've still gotta get a bench, and get my squats back up (had to figure out some form issues), before I can worry about going ham on my core lifts. Also currently in a deficit, which takes a lot out of my deadlifts. Liking my strength, and hypertrophy mix right now, but eventually I want to go into strength focus, so I like reading about other peoples' methods.

And yay for the kid joining you. Love the "I like going if it's sometimes" attitude.
    This is the first time I've ever tried a pure strength phase. I usually do a mix of medium through heavy reps on my core lifts, rotating every 4 weeks from 60-90%. Since I don't really have a goal right now, I took it as a chance to play around and just experiment with things. So since I have a few clients that mentioned strength, I figured "why not!"

The core lifts are aimed solely at the heavy to uberheavy stuff with the accessories just a mix of reps for both volume and just to prevent boredom along the way. I did make sure to fix my squat issues first. I pulled badly to one side if the weight got heavy. Lots of work to resolve that so I don't get hurt doing this stuff. You're smart in your approach there.

I'm also eating at maintenance right now. I was bulking but stress got in the way temporarily. I'm a stress non-eater so bulking is hard when life is bumpy. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do this as effectively in a deficit. I'm excited that The Kid goes along most times now. I don't ask since I'm afraid of pressuring. I just mark my workout days on the calendar so she can ask to tag along.

Her idea of doing it when you feel like it and it will be more fun can probably apply to lots of things in life. <3

Finished WO4 (AKA the final one) for the week last night. I'm still getting used to dropping the number of sets as the weight goes up. LOL, I've spent years doing 3 sets on the core lifts so it's just weird to do fewer. Let me tell you though. I did warm up sets and got ready for my first working set. I pretty much cried tears of joy when I saw that 2 sitting there in the Sets column.

Those sets were solid but very hard to pull. I was excited that I got them. Once I finished up the leg presses, I told myself it was all downhill from there. The pulldowns were pretty hard too. I had a helluva time getting the long bar off the hook and getting the v-handle on. Everything was vibrating at that point. I'd say it was a pretty successful WO.

Sumo Deadlifts at 85% - 2 sets of 5
    Close Stance Leg Press - 2x8
    Assisted Tricep Dips - 3x12
    Close Grip Grip Pulldows - 3x5
    Standing Cable Abductions - 2x20
    Banded Glute Bridges with Feet Elevated - 2xAMRAP

Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000) Tpocalicious is just really nice. (+1000)
    Strength training!!! Seeing as how I could never just lift at 90% ORM when you asked, you KNOW I'm cheering for you on these!!!! :^D
    I am stronger than my strongest excuse!

Current ORM BP: 163 | OHP: 119 | Squat: 198 | Deads: 262
    Current Goal BP: 165 | OHP: 125 | Squat: 225 | Deads: 265
    TSJGR Goals BP: 1.5xBW | OHP: 205 | Squat: 1.5xBW | Deads: 315+


    Forum: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173058501&p=1474053281#post1474053281