Closed Thread
Page 271 of 290 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,130 of 8698
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TTBHG View Post
    This is one of those that the internet might’ve been a blessing and a curse. When I decided a month ago to start losing weight I ended up on Reddit and the recommendation I received was to buy a scale, weigh everything and eat 1500 calories per day. It has caused good weight loss results.

However, I had no intention of doing anything other than losing weight until more recently. Now my planning probably needs to change. I definitely do not want to stay at 220. I’d eventually like to get around 175-180 but be a lot stronger instead of skinny fat.

That is the goal today. After I do this for a while perhaps that might change but right now I’m looking to lose weight and not be just a skinny pudgy mess.
    If you under eat to the point you cant perform, you will end up skinny fat...

That is the point we are trying to make. Feel free to do your 1500 cals, and "bulk" off your spare tire. But at some point 1500 cals will not be enough, this normally occurs when you drop below 18% body fat.

TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    If you under eat to the point you cant perform, you will end up skinny fat...

That is the point we are trying to make. Feel free to do your 1500 cals, and "bulk" off your spare tire. But at some point 1500 cals will not be enough, this normally occurs when you drop below 18% body fat.
    I’ve already moved my calories to 2200 as of today. I appreciate the advice being given. I just need to figure out the macro thing for getting the correct balance of foods. That’s a new one for me. I’m sure some google searching will return all the information I could possibly need. Thanks for the help!

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TTBHG View Post
    I’ve already moved my calories to 2200 as of today. I appreciate the advice being given. I just need to figure out the macro thing for getting the correct balance of foods. That’s a new one for me. I’m sure some google searching will return all the information I could possibly need. Thanks for the help!
    There's just too much 'bro science". You'll get much better help on this site. Some of it will be conflicting, especially when it comes to protein. You only need one gram per pound of body weight. Others will tell you 1.5 per pound. What they don't tell you is that that is only effective if you're chemically assisted! So in general 10 cal per pound of body weight to cut. 15 per pound to maintain and 20 per pound to bulk. It's a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. 1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories. 1 gram of fat is about 8 calories. I HATE putting together a diet!

Registered User Tomtompipersson's Avatar
    Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tomtompipersson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am also only on 1700cals.
    I worked out my TDEE to be about 2350 based on my low activity mutiplier and being 5'10 and 238lbs (approx 35?% fat)
    Looking to lose 1-2lbs per week am shooting for around 1700cals.
    After 2 weeks (untracked) of eating healthier, i had lost 6lbs, mainly water in the beginning probably.
    Since tracking as you can see in the links, i have maintained 1700 or below cals and losing weight at a slow steady pace, its only been a week or so, so early days.
    Will monitor and make sure i dont lose more than 3lbs a week, aiming for 2lbs whilst i am still very overweight.
    All food being weighed to the gram!

https://gyazo.com/87e0eaa84736f5a336d96ea05c248293
    https://gyazo.com/b5c317a79109be0a96a40755da8dac5d
    Last edited by Tomtompipersson; 03-16-2020 at 04:10 PM.

TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50) TTBHG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    There's just too much 'bro science". You'll get much better help on this site. Some of it will be conflicting, especially when it comes to protein. You only need one gram per pound of body weight. Others will tell you 1.5 per pound. What they don't tell you is that that is only effective if you're chemically assisted! So in general 10 cal per pound of body weight to cut. 15 per pound to maintain and 20 per pound to bulk. It's a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. 1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories. 1 gram of fat is about 8 calories. I HATE putting together a diet!
    I wish I had seen this before starting to research. One particular person advised I just eat seven cans of tuna fish every day......

I appreciate the help. I really need to spend some time getting this in order. I looked back over the last few weeks in the Lose-It app, admittedly it was only 1500 calories/day, but the most protein I had eaten in a single day in weeks was 60 grams.

Registered User getrippedallday's Avatar
    getrippedallday is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have just completed my 2nd cycle of the program and am enjoying it a lot.

However, given the Covid-19 lockdowns, the gyms are closed I don't have access to regular gym equipment. What is the best way to ensure I don't go backwards over this time while the gyms are closed? Should I get a kettle bell and find a space to do these? Can I do body weight exercises to maintain strength?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by getrippedallday View Post

However, given the Covid-19 lockdowns, the gyms are closed I don't have access to regular gym equipment. What is the best way to ensure I don't go backwards over this time while the gyms are closed? Should I get a kettle bell and find a space to do these? Can I do body weight exercises to maintain strength?

assisted chinups with a chair
    inverted rows if you can find a spot
    pushups with elevated feet
    goblet squats with a heavy backpack

But in reality since you are not doing the movement, your CNS will go down, and your conditioning will go down. However it takes MONTHS before you lose a lick of muscle.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by getrippedallday View Post

With just a barbell you can do dead lift, rows and shoulder press. Add a chin up bar and that 'should' retain your strength. It takes about 2 weeks of doing nothing before you begin to lose what you've got. It takes very little to retain what you have for long periods of time.

rosco36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a fantastic routine. I started with just the bar (45 lbs) a few months ago and currently doing 105 lbs on squats, bench, rows, RDLs and calf raises. Is it normal to lift the same weight for each exercise as I'm progressing? Another question I had is just by looking at my overall physique, I can see which 2 parts are lagging. I have a pencil neck going and noodle arms. I did start adding pull ups at the end of each workout to see if that will help with the arm size going forward. Is there any other recommendation or should I just continue the program and eventually as I begin lifting heavier I should get arm/neck growth?

I should mention that I am trying my best to eat healthy and stay in a caloric surplus. My weight has consistently been going up 1 lb/wk without gaining that much fat.

Originally Posted by rosco36 View Post
    This is a fantastic routine. I started with just the bar (45 lbs) a few months ago and currently doing 105 lbs on squats, bench, rows, RDLs and calf raises. Is it normal to lift the same weight for each exercise as I'm progressing? Another question I had is just by looking at my overall physique, I can see which 2 parts are lagging. I have a pencil neck going and noodle arms. I did start adding pull ups at the end of each workout to see if that will help with the arm size going forward. Is there any other recommendation or should I just continue the program and eventually as I begin lifting heavier I should get arm/neck growth?

I should mention that I am trying my best to eat healthy and stay in a caloric surplus. My weight has consistently been going up 1 lb/wk without gaining that much fat.
    AS time goes by your squats will go up a lot more than the upper body lifts. You don't need to add more arm work. Rows and curls are already hitting them! PATIENCE!

heymyguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey all. I cannot lift due to my gym being closed. I have simply a barbell weight set to work with.

I assume I can do just do bent over row, overhead press, stiff leg deadlifts, barbell curls all the same right?

The calf raises I guess I could put weight on my knees, sit down with the top half of feet on a weight plate and push the weight up right? Or is there something better to do?

I don’t have a squat rack, so how should I replace squats? Should I do barbell lunges or split squats or something else?

I don’t have bench so should I do push ups with the weight plates in a backpack? Should they just be regular push ups?

Lastly what would be the best ab work to do?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by heymyguy View Post
    Hey all. I cannot lift due to my gym being closed. I have simply a barbell weight set to work with.

I assume I can do just do bent over row, overhead press, stiff leg deadlifts, barbell curls all the same right?

The calf raises I guess I could put weight on my knees, sit down with the top half of feet on a weight plate and push the weight up right? Or is there something better to do?

I don’t have a squat rack, so how should I replace squats? Should I do barbell lunges or split squats or something else?

I don’t have bench so should I do push ups with the weight plates in a backpack? Should they just be regular push ups?

Lastly what would be the best ab work to do?

Thanks!
    Floor presses and zercher squats.

heymyguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Floor presses and zercher squats.
    Thanks for the reply. Why floor presses and zercher squats over weighted push ups and lunges?

Originally Posted by heymyguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Why floor presses and zercher squats over weighted push ups and lunges?
    More carry over. a lunge does not mimic a squat, but zercher is a squat with a lower center of gravity. A weighted pushup is nowhere close to a bench press, but a floor press is a reduced rom bench, with a dead stop at the bottom.

pauly1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are there and advantages/disadvantages between barbell and dumbbell curls?

Originally Posted by pauly1998 View Post
    Are there and advantages/disadvantages between barbell and dumbbell curls?
    barbell will allow you to use more weight, and make it a "bit" more full body. Like allpro said, the curl is just for marketing(i ant doin a program without no curl), if you can do upright rows or assisted chinups, you can skip the curl.

majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) majorintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Excellent stuff.

I want to reiterate what a fantastic program this is. I have seen some good changes in my body and athleticism in general after being on this routine for a few months. I did have a question though and this is more of a personal dilemma since I like playing tennis as summer is near. I started playing tennis (constant running for about 2 hours) on hard courts AFTER each of my workouts. I am starting to think this isn't a good idea as my Achilles tendon is starting to feel tender to the touch and I don't want to risk having a lingering tendonitis issue. So what do you recommend for a person like me? Would you say I will just have to pick between either the routine and tennis? Or can I still incorporate a mix of both? I was hoping I could handle both if I just play tennis after my workouts but clearly my achilles tendon is telling me it's not a great idea. Any thoughts or suggestions would be interesting to hear. Thank you.

I want to reiterate what a fantastic program this is. I have seen some good changes in my body and athleticism in general after being on this routine for a few months. I did have a question though and this is more of a personal dilemma since I like playing tennis as summer is near. I started playing tennis (constant running for about 2 hours) on hard courts AFTER each of my workouts. I am starting to think this isn't a good idea as my Achilles tendon is starting to feel tender to the touch and I don't want to risk having a lingering tendonitis issue. So what do you recommend for a person like me? Would you say I will just have to pick between either the routine and tennis? Or can I still incorporate a mix of both? I was hoping I could handle both if I just play tennis after my workouts but clearly my achilles tendon is telling me it's not a great idea. Any thoughts or suggestions would be interesting to hear. Thank you.
    This little program doesn't go heavy enough to really bother your tendons. How are your shoes?

Frankenweeny is on a distinguished road. (+10)

5x5?

Hi allpro and nightanole,

Could I do this combination of compound exercises as a twice weekly 5x5 routine? I've enjoyed doing these exercises and have completed a few cycles in the past (probably back to square one currently). My current goals are just to be healthy and active, and am going to be focusing on stuff like running and climbing with weightlifting as an accessory. My job is really demanding so this seems to be the most sustainable option for me in the long term.

Would this be beneficial at all? Do you have any recommendations for progression with this sort of routine? And do you have any well written recommendations on the basics of programming so that I can play around with this myself later down the line?

Originally Posted by Frankenweeny View Post
    Hi allpro and nightanole,

Could I do this combination of compound exercises as a twice weekly 5x5 routine? I've enjoyed doing these exercises and have completed a few cycles in the past (probably back to square one currently). My current goals are just to be healthy and active, and am going to be focusing on stuff like running and climbing with weightlifting as an accessory. My job is really demanding so this seems to be the most sustainable option for me in the long term.

Would this be beneficial at all? Do you have any recommendations for progression with this sort of routine? And do you have any well written recommendations on the basics of programming so that I can play around with this myself later down the line?
    The Neanderthal! I have several versions of it but they don't look like this. Squat, bench, row, dead lift, shoulder press up right row. Twice per week. First work out 2 warm up sets of 10 reps. 1/4 weight, 1/2 weight then 3x8 for the first work out. The second work out do 3x3. Push the final set for 2 extra reps and when you can get them add 5 pounds for the next work out. Every fourth week deload, 2x5 on the first work out and 2x2 on the second work out. That's a concurrent set up. The standard set up is to do both work outs for 3x5 and when you can get 7 reps on the final set increase the weight 5 pounds. On week 4, 2x3 for a deload. When that gets too heavy then you cycle the rep increase. Week 1 the final set for 5. Week 2, the final set for 6. Week 3, the final set for 7. I use a middle work out for speed work for athletes. 2 lite sets of squats and dead lifts to serve as a warm up, then 5 sets of power cleans followed by 5 sets of hang cleans. The first 2 sets at 5 reps and the last 3 sets at 3 reps. Pyramiding the weight 20% from set to set. There you go. I think I just put up 3 or 4 versions of the same routine! I don't remember how to do attachments here but I think I may have an excel sheet for this.

This little program doesn't go heavy enough to really bother your tendons. How are your shoes?
    It's definitely not the program causing tendon issues, it's the tennis on top of this routine where i'm running for about 2 hours. I guess i'll just have to ditch playing tennis.

Just wanted to ask here before I start this regimen in case you might be familiar. I am about to start the "treat your own achilles tendonitis" protocol which is basically doing eccentric heel drops on one leg off a stair with bodyweight. I will be doing 3 sets of 15 at a time, 3 times a day, everyday. I wanted to ask...I have already been doing calf raises with the same amount of weight as my squats (2 sets of 8-12 reps currently on 105 lbs). So far, this routine has not caused any issues with my achilles tendon but like I said before, adding tennis on top of the routine exposed my weak achilles tendons and so I want to strengthen them and get rid of the slight pain I started having. The eccentric heel drops definitely hits my calves in a different way than my usual barbell standing calf raises. Do you guys think I could continue the calf raises with the barbell and add the heel drops as an accessory at the end? Or would you recommend I stop the calf raises for a while and just stick to only the eccentric heel drops? Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I should mention, this is from a book on Amazon "treat your own achilles tendonitis" which basically says to do those eccentric heel drops off the stairs on one leg 3 sets of 15, 3 times a day, everyday for 12 weeks. So I will be doing this for 12 weeks.
    Last edited by rosco36; 03-29-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Just wanted to ask here before I start this regimen in case you might be familiar. I am about to start the "treat your own achilles tendonitis" protocol which is basically doing eccentric heel drops on one leg off a stair with bodyweight. I will be doing 3 sets of 15 at a time, 3 times a day, everyday. I wanted to ask...I have already been doing calf raises with the same amount of weight as my squats (2 sets of 8-12 reps currently on 105 lbs). So far, this routine has not caused any issues with my achilles tendon but like I said before, adding tennis on top of the routine exposed my weak achilles tendons and so I want to strengthen them and get rid of the slight pain I started having. The eccentric heel drops definitely hits my calves in a different way than my usual barbell standing calf raises. Do you guys think I could continue the calf raises with the barbell and add the heel drops as an accessory at the end? Or would you recommend I stop the calf raises for a while and just stick to only the eccentric heel drops? Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I should mention, this is from a book on Amazon "treat your own achilles tendonitis" which basically says to do those eccentric heel drops off the stairs on one leg 3 sets of 15, 3 times a day, everyday for 12 weeks. So I will be doing this for 12 weeks.
    For me its not the calve work that sets it off. Its bad form on the squat, or being dumb and not heel/midfoot striking on jogs. If you are a dork that walks around on the balls of your feet, its a bad habit to break.

Slightly odd that a book on achilles would have someone who can still weight lift, do eccentric reps. Eccentric is normally for very damaged areas that can not be worked out, aka someone who can not walk or go up stairs...

For me its not the calve work that sets it off. Its bad form on the squat, or being dumb and not heel/midfoot striking on jogs. If you are a dork that walks around on the balls of your feet, its a bad habit to break.

Slightly odd that a book on achilles would have someone who can still weight lift, do eccentric reps. Eccentric is normally for very damaged areas that can not be worked out, aka someone who can not walk or go up stairs...
    It's not the cause I was seeking expert advice on. Like I said, it's the quick bursts of acceleration and chasing balls around for 2 hours that causes it. I have had this problem from way before I even started weightlifting. In fact, I was diligent with the calf raises in all pros especially because I was so sick of weak calves/achilles tendon. I was only wondering if you think the eccentric routine would still be okay on top of the calf raises as my personal attempt to strengthen my tendon since this book has a lot of great reviews where it fixed this specific issue. If you don't like eccentric exercises then don't worry about it. Thanks for your help.

It's not the cause I was seeking expert advice on. Like I said, it's the quick bursts of acceleration and chasing balls around for 2 hours that causes it. I have had this problem from way before I even started weightlifting. In fact, I was diligent with the calf raises in all pros especially because I was so sick of weak calves/achilles tendon. I was only wondering if you think the eccentric routine would still be okay on top of the calf raises as my personal attempt to strengthen my tendon since this book has a lot of great reviews where it fixed this specific issue. If you don't like eccentric exercises then don't worry about it. Thanks for your help.
    its not that i dont like don't like eccentric exercises. its that by enlarge, eccentric exercises causes tendon inflammation and or muscle pulls. Its why "negatives" are only programmed in for a fraction of a yearly routine. Its why you go to snap city on a deadlift if you slowly lower the weight after the rep.

You are getting it when chasing balls for hours, from the eccentric loading of the achilles by staying on the balls of your feet. You are not getting it from pushing off, your are getting it from landing. The same thing happens when crossfitters do box jumps for reps.

So getting back on subject, "any" eccentric training will; rob recovery, cause additional DOMS, and cause connective tissue issues, over time. This is for any body part, healthy or not.

I have never recommended a eccentric accessory, but i have recommended a lot of concentric accessories, since they do not have those negative effects.

its not that i dont like don't like eccentric exercises. its that by enlarge, eccentric exercises causes tendon inflammation and or muscle pulls. Its why "negatives" are only programmed in for a fraction of a yearly routine. Its why you go to snap city on a deadlift if you slowly lower the weight after the rep.

You are getting it when chasing balls for hours, from the eccentric loading of the achilles by staying on the balls of your feet. You are not getting it from pushing off, your are getting it from landing. The same thing happens when crossfitters do box jumps for reps.

So getting back on subject, "any" eccentric training will; rob recovery, cause additional DOMS, and cause connective tissue issues, over time. This is for any body part, healthy or not.

I have never recommended a eccentric accessory, but i have recommended a lot of concentric accessories, since they do not have those negative effects.
    Got any concentric accessory recommendation for the achilles tendon?

You are doing the calve presses while standing on a 2x4 .......right!

You are doing the calve presses while standing on a 2x4 .......right!
    yes sir

Closed Thread
Page 271 of 290 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 ... LastLast