Closed Thread
Page 97 of 290 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 8698
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Time2Sleep00 View Post
    Hi, you said that this program can only run for around 7 cycles, but if I go through my normal progression, I wont reach my BW bench. Im . currently in cycle 3, weighing 160lbs benching 80 lbs + normal 5 ft bar which I think is just <10lbs. At cycle 7, I will only be benching I think around 130lbs which is too far from my BW. My SDL and squats are doing fine though.

Really loving the program, basic movements and high reps with good progression. And also with you being active to our questions. Thanks
    I dont understand, does someone have a gun to your head saying "thou shal only put 10% on thy bar or face death"?

10% weight bumps is the min. Keep rest times as short as possible and dont dog the weight up and down and you can easily add more than 10% for the first few cycles.

And if you are using a standard weight set with a 5lb bar, i dont think they are rated for much more than 120lbs.

haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haikaldingle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    I've been doing the self-regulating version of AllPro and so far it is working well. Squat and SLDL seem to progress much more rapidly than the other exercises (I'm still at super noob level in terms of strength & overall fitness)

I still can't figure out if I'm doing BORs correctly. In particular, I feel like I'm working my arms more than my back. I tend to bend further than 45 degrees. Maybe about 70 degrees. The cue that I've read about to prevent "all-arming" the BOR is to imagine that I'm trying to elbow someone or whatever, but I still feel a burn in my arms more than anything else when I BOR. Any advice?
    Moving from your elbows is correct. Maybe what you can do is to squeeze your back at the top for 1-2 seconds. In lifting there is also this thing called mind-muscle connection. What you can do is try closing your eyes and just keep thinking of having your back in motion as much as possible. Same for bench presses, you wanna think that your chest is contracting as much as possible.
    I won't use the forum to promote my channel

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by haikaldingle View Post
    Moving from your elbows is correct. Maybe what you can do is to squeeze your back at the top for 1-2 seconds. In lifting there is also this thing called mind-muscle connection. What you can do is try closing your eyes and just keep thinking of having your back in motion as much as possible. Same for bench presses, you wanna think that your chest is contracting as much as possible.
    I dont start the mower by curling

5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    argh! thought I had it...Cycle 3/Test day

SQ - 145 PASS
    BP - 90 FAIL 2nd straight cycle(11 reps last set)
    BOR - 105 FAIL
    SLDL - 105 PASS
    OHP - 60 PASS
    BC - 30 PASS

very frustrated with the BP. now, before I drive off the cliff with my mother-in-law....talk me out of quitting ;-)
    Last edited by 5penn; 01-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Originally Posted by 5penn View Post
    argh! thought I had it...Cycle 3/Test day

SQ - 145 PASS
    BP - 90 FAIL 2nd straight cycle(11 reps last set)
    BOR - 105 FAIL
    SLDL - 105 PASS
    OHP - 60 PASS
    BC - 30 PASS

very frustrated with the BP. now, before I drive off the cliff with my mother-in-law....talk me out of quitting ;-)
    On light day you can go for 1 set of 10 with the new 110% weight. If you make it you pass.

Else you can always start next cycle with the new 110% weight and use novice (3 sets of 4-8 reps) pattern. test day would still be 24 reps total.

As a last ditch effort you can switch just bench to greyskull LP so you can at least vary the peak weight vs constantly failing on allpro and having to use the same weight each week.
    Last edited by nightanole; 01-14-2017 at 09:52 AM.

briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    The closer you work to failure the slower you will recover. So you did 3 sets with 2-3 left in the tank. You can recover in 90 seconds with that kind of load. An all out set(RPE10) of 13 might take 3min to recover from. You might have passed if you did 12 on the first set and kept one in the tank.

If you want to check, you should be able to do 6 reps of the new weight if you are doing 3 sets, or 10 reps of the new weight if you are doing 2 sets.

If you want a bit more volume and intensity per min, you can also use the 10 sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest pattern i posted a few times for the new weight. Some can get in 30 reps at 80% of 1rm in 7 minutes using this method, vs taking 20min to get in 15 reps using the 3x5 pattern. However the work per min may make you cry.
    I was able to do 6/6/5 pretty easily at the new weight, 175lbs. I probably could have hit the last rep, but my hip tightened up on that 5th rep from leg drive and I didn't want to risk it.

Seems odd.. I was struggling so hard to progress on the 2 set version of the bench.. like.. 8 weeks. But it seems like I was there according to the 3 set version.

5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5penn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On light day you can go for 1 set of 10 with the new 110% weight. If you make it you pass.

Else you can always start next cycle with the new 110% weight and use novice (3 sets of 4-8 reps) pattern. test day would still be 24 reps total.

As a last ditch effort you can switch just bench to greyskull LP so you can at least vary the peak weight vs constantly failing on allpro and having to use the same weight each week.
    thanks, will try that out.

unreal99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cycle 3

So since I've started this program, I've used smith machine to preform Squats.

I've a mobility problem that causes me to fall backwards if i preform squats with or without weights.
    I am reading how bad doing smith machine squats are and would like to correct this or avoid farther problems.
    I will practice on correcting the issues, tight calves,hip flexibility etc'.

In the meantime, should i stop using the smith machine? change to Leg press?

I would upload a video of my sqauts but i do not have enough posts yet.

Originally Posted by unreal99 View Post
    So since I've started this program, I've used smith machine to preform Squats.

I've a mobility problem that causes me to fall backwards if i preform squats with or without weights.
    I am reading how bad doing smith machine squats are and would like to correct this or avoid farther problems.
    I will practice on correcting the issues, tight calves,hip flexibility etc'.

In the meantime, should i stop using the smith machine? change to Leg press?

I would upload a video of my sqauts but i do not have enough posts yet.
    The smith machine is fine if you align yourself correctly. What normally happens in a smith is people push forward and ride it up the rails so they can use their quads more.

If you wanted more practice, you could do one set of front squats in the smith after the light day workout, and one set of zercher squats in the smith after the medium day workout.

Really i would rather you be doing bar bell zercher squats vs smith machine back squats, or even dumb bell goblet squats(though they get pretty unweildly once you get to 75-90lbs).

As for tight calves and hip flexiblity, static stretching isnt going to do it. You are going to need to find isolation exercises that allow you to safely strength train that is beyond your normal daily range of motion.

Hell it might not even be a mobility issue. Greg nuckols can do a full split, but cant squat below parallel if his life depended on it. The only way he doesnt get red lit in competition is that if you load up 600+lbs on his back he squishes down enough to break parallel. So you might want to spend some time trying out different foot angles and stance widths. Some squat wide with the toes pointing forward, others squat like a frog.

The smith machine is fine if you align yourself correctly. What normally happens in a smith is people push forward and ride it up the rails so they can use their quads more.

If you wanted more practice, you could do one set of front squats in the smith after the light day workout, and one set of zercher squats in the smith after the medium day workout.

Really i would rather you be doing bar bell zercher squats vs smith machine back squats, or even dumb bell goblet squats(though they get pretty unweildly once you get to 75-90lbs).

As for tight calves and hip flexiblity, static stretching isnt going to do it. You are going to need to find isolation exercises that allow you to safely strength train that is beyond your normal daily range of motion.

Hell it might not even be a mobility issue. Greg nuckols can do a full split, but cant squat below parallel if his life depended on it. The only way he doesnt get red lit in competition is that if you load up 600+lbs on his back he squishes down enough to break parallel. So you might want to spend some time trying out different foot angles and stance widths. Some squat wide with the toes pointing forward, others squat like a frog.
    Thanks for the quick response and awesome guidance in this thread.

I can get away doing them with barbell if i widen my legs and point toes outwards.

Regarding the zercher squats - i can try doing them barbell without the squat machine,but i see a limit to the weight you can carry doing this.
    Last edited by unreal99; 01-15-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding

Thanks for the quick response and awesome guidance in this thread.

I can get away doing them with barbell if i widen my legs and point toes outwards.

Regarding the zercher squats - i can try doing them barbell without the squat machine,but i see a limit to the weight you can carry doing this.
    You can zercher as much as you back squat, but you have to learn how to place the weight on both forearm bones and not the eblow socket, and you need to use a towel or something. Placing the bar on just the top bone or have it pry on the elbow socket is quite painful with even 100lbs.

Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi Nightanole and crew, hope all is well. I have been following AllPro for about a year now and it has been great, thanks for all the great support.

I have been supplementing AllPro with HIIT training twice a week (done at Orange Theory Fitness- OTF). Think 1 hour of treadmills, rowing, bodyweight exercises/trx, some dumbell work (but I keep it light so it doesnt affect my lifts). Pretty intense, I burn around 800-1100 calories in a 1 hour session there. Starting tomorrow, I am participating in a 6 week weight loss competition at OTF. A requirement to compete is doing their HIIT 3x a week. I am concerned about overtraining since I will be losing a rest day and going from HIIT 2x to 3x per week.

Two questions for you guys-
    1. I am just coming off an AllPro test day, should I consider not increasing weights going into the next cycle to prevent too much muscle fatigue?
    2. Any general advice/thoughts/suggestions as I embark on this challenge while juggling this workout program?

Originally Posted by Raidersfan13 View Post
    Hi Nightanole and crew, hope all is well. I have been following AllPro for about a year now and it has been great, thanks for all the great support.

I have been supplementing AllPro with HIIT training twice a week (done at Orange Theory Fitness- OTF). Think 1 hour of treadmills, rowing, bodyweight exercises/trx, some dumbell work (but I keep it light so it doesnt affect my lifts). Pretty intense, I burn around 800-1100 calories in a 1 hour session there. Starting tomorrow, I am participating in a 6 week weight loss competition at OTF. A requirement to compete is doing their HIIT 3x a week. I am concerned about overtraining since I will be losing a rest day and going from HIIT 2x to 3x per week.

Two questions for you guys-
    1. I am just coming off an AllPro test day, should I consider not increasing weights going into the next cycle to prevent too much muscle fatigue?
    2. Any general advice/thoughts/suggestions as I embark on this challenge while juggling this workout program?
    1 hour of no rest anything 3x a week is fine. True hit can only be sustained for a few minutes, sprints if you will. What you need to watch out for is depleted glycogen stores before the workout. So whatever you ate 8-12 hours before the workout is what the muscles are going to be running off of for the allpro workout. If those stores are semi depleted before the workout, the 2nd set is going to be partially running off of blood glucose, which is a horrible peak output energy source. On the other hand your GPP training you are doing for one hour, is taxing your blood glucose and nutrient flushing systems that are not hit during the allpro workout. This is why the GPP/cardio is recommended on the program.

You can zercher as much as you back squat, but you have to learn how to place the weight on both forearm bones and not the eblow socket, and you need to use a towel or something. Placing the bar on just the top bone or have it pry on the elbow socket is quite painful with even 100lbs.
    I just got back from the gym, my Smith Squats are at 112lbs, I was able to do the zercher barbell only at 72lbs, but at least i don't sacrifice posture.
    Also I was able to do the regular squats by putting a plate under my ankles.

Regarding my SLDL, I think the reason it's not hitting my hamstrings is because i bend my knees as i go down instead of pushing my back out.
    The problem is when i keep my knee almost straight, my ROM is very limited and i can't get down too much.
    A trainer at the facility suggested that i should lower my weight and work on ROM, However i do not want to stall my progress,can i lower my weights on the SLDL and do alternative exercise like Lying Leg Curls?

I just got back from the gym, my Smith Squats are at 112lbs, I was able to do the zercher barbell only at 72lbs, but at least i don't sacrifice posture.
    Also I was able to do the regular squats by putting a plate under my ankles.

Regarding my SLDL, I think the reason it's not hitting my hamstrings is because i bend my knees as i go down instead of pushing my back out.
    The problem is when i keep my knee almost straight, my ROM is very limited and i can't get down too much.
    A trainer at the facility suggested that i should lower my weight and work on ROM, However i do not want to stall my progress,can i lower my weights on the SLDL and do alternative exercise like Lying Leg Curls?
    YOu could sub the SLDL for goodmornings(that would curl your knee bend problem), or use goodmornings as an accessory at the end of the session. A leg curl isnt going to help your mobilty as much as a SLDL.

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hand placement for a Zercher Squat

I've been doing the zercher squat, which is great for someone who is exercising from home and is not the most experienced lifter in the world. I see people mention pain in their arms but I have never experienced it, so I am guessing I am holding the bar correctly (either that or I am simply not lifting heavy enough yet)

But I was curious: I see some youtube videos on the zercher where the demonstrators clasp their hands together when holding the bar, and I see some others keep their forearms directly in front of them instead, with one reason given by a guy being that it exercises the shoulders more. One guy in fact considered clasping hands together during this squat to be cheating.

I went for the latter, mostly because I found it uncomfortable to keep my hands together, but I was wondering what the generally best approach is to this type of squat

Also I recently acquired a two dumb bell bars and was wondering if there are any good accessories that could be done in a fourth cycle- I remember nightanole saying side laterals and facepulls- can facepuls be done with dumbells?

Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Raidersfan13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1 hour of no rest anything 3x a week is fine. True hit can only be sustained for a few minutes, sprints if you will. What you need to watch out for is depleted glycogen stores before the workout. So whatever you ate 8-12 hours before the workout is what the muscles are going to be running off of for the allpro workout. If those stores are semi depleted before the workout, the 2nd set is going to be partially running off of blood glucose, which is a horrible peak output energy source. On the other hand your GPP training you are doing for one hour, is taxing your blood glucose and nutrient flushing systems that are not hit during the allpro workout. This is why the GPP/cardio is recommended on the program.
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Nightanole again.

Thanks again man, ill keep this thread in the loop on how these 6 weeks go. Pretty pumped for this challenge, in it to win it!

Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    I've been doing the zercher squat, which is great for someone who is exercising from home and is not the most experienced lifter in the world. I see people mention pain in their arms but I have never experienced it, so I am guessing I am holding the bar correctly (either that or I am simply not lifting heavy enough yet)

But I was curious: I see some youtube videos on the zercher where the demonstrators clasp their hands together when holding the bar, and I see some others keep their forearms directly in front of them instead, with one reason given by a guy being that it exercises the shoulders more. One guy in fact considered clasping hands together during this squat to be cheating.

I went for the latter, mostly because I found it uncomfortable to keep my hands together, but I was wondering what the generally best approach is to this type of squat

Also I recently acquired a two dumb bell bars and was wondering if there are any good accessories that could be done in a fourth cycle- I remember nightanole saying side laterals and facepulls- can facepuls be done with dumbells?
    face pulls can be done laying face down on the bench.

As far as the zercher arm thing, that is getting in a bit too deep for a beginner to matter. Thats like arguing double overhand vs hook grip vs mix grip on the deadlift. At the end of the day the differences are so small they only matter for someone doing the lift for some exact purpose other than muscle building.

HuwB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As long as you keep your wrist straight throughout the movement that problem should solve itself. Too tucked or too wide will cause the wrist to flex at either the top or the bottom of the movement.
    Great, got it. Thanks for that.

I don't stretch or warm up before my workouts - I do the warm up sets at quarter and half work weight but that's all.

A few days ago on heavy day of 2nd cycle week 3 I tweaked something in front of my left hip/groin during squats - my fault as I dropped my depth by about 2 inches and I was already going below parallel. After much Googling I suspect I mildly strained a hip flexor or adductor - medium day was fine (back to original depth) so no harm done. However, it does make me wonder if I should be stretching before workouts - I'm 43 with a desk job so I should anyway! Are static stretches OK before a workout - I like them as I can feel they're "doing me good" but I read somewhere it wasn't advised before strength training?

Originally Posted by HuwB View Post
    I don't stretch or warm up before my workouts - I do the warm up sets at quarter and half work weight but that's all.

A few days ago on heavy day of 2nd cycle week 3 I tweaked something in front of my left hip/groin during squats - my fault as I dropped my depth by about 2 inches and I was already going below parallel. After much Googling I suspect I mildly strained a hip flexor or adductor - medium day was fine (back to original depth) so no harm done. However, it does make me wonder if I should be stretching before workouts - I'm 43 with a desk job so I should anyway! Are static stretches OK before a workout - I like them as I can feel they're "doing me good" but I read somewhere it wasn't advised before strength training?
    No the problem is you went outside of your range of motion. This is why half repping is bad. You would not have pulled anything if you would have done the warmup sets at that new depth or were used to doing strength training at that depth.

What concerns me is how you dropped an extra 2". If this is a new stance, ok, stances can be tuned for atg or just below parallel. In fact its better for a beginner to tune the stance for just below parallel as you can use more weight, there is no point of going atg unless its for a specific sport etc. However if you are stopping your self before you bottom out naturally, that is bad and will cause strains over time due to changing direction before full flexion when the joints are at their strongest. If you dropped an additional 2" by relaxing your torso, that is also bad since now you are loose, and your spinal erectors need to flex your back straight again at the top.

No the problem is you went outside of your range of motion. This is why half repping is bad. You would not have pulled anything if you would have done the warmup sets at that new depth or were used to doing strength training at that depth.

What concerns me is how you dropped an extra 2". If this is a new stance, ok, stances can be tuned for atg or just below parallel. In fact its better for a beginner to tune the stance for just below parallel as you can use more weight, there is no point of going atg unless its for a specific sport etc. However if you are stopping your self before you bottom out naturally, that is bad and will cause strains over time due to changing direction before full flexion when the joints are at their strongest. If you dropped an additional 2" by relaxing your torso, that is also bad since now you are loose, and your spinal erectors need to flex your back straight again at the top.
    Thanks for this - it makes sense.

I'd been over-thinking my squats - making sure I was low enough, experimenting with stance width, making sure my glutes were tight, pushing out hard with my feet and knees etc. So, foolishly I asked my daughter to see if my thighs were dropping below parallel with my original ROM and she said no. So I just dropped further at the next session thinking it would be fine and, well, there we go... Since then I have videoed myself squatting and my original depth was definitely hip crease below top of knee and I'm sticking with that - my form and the feel of it is good to that depth but my butt starts to curl under if I go lower. My thighs are short compared to my torso and I find a relatively narrow stance (no wider than shoulders) with as much "knees out" (abduction?) as I can get works better than a wide stance.

Is there value in stretching beforehand? You are right in that I hadn't been stretching with the original depth and there was no problem so it's not a preparation issue as such.

I'd been over-thinking my squats - making sure I was low enough, experimenting with stance width, making sure my glutes were tight, pushing out hard with my feet and knees etc. So, foolishly I asked my daughter to see if my thighs were dropping below parallel with my original ROM and she said no. So I just dropped further at the next session thinking it would be fine and, well, there we go... Since then I have videoed myself squatting and my original depth was definitely hip crease below top of knee and I'm sticking with that - my form and the feel of it is good to that depth but my butt starts to curl under if I go lower. My thighs are short compared to my torso and I find a relatively narrow stance (no wider than shoulders) with as much "knees out" (abduction?) as I can get works better than a wide stance.

Is there value in stretching beforehand? You are right in that I hadn't been stretching with the original depth and there was no problem so it's not a preparation issue as such.
    Again, stretching will not help. Mimicking the movement using a lighter weight will. Just make sure your warmup sets are the same form as your work sets and you wont pull anything. If you keep changing form, and dont drop the weight before you are used to the new form, you will over reach and possibly strain something. You can end up in the same boat is if you all of a sudden widen your grip on the bench 6-8", it should be easier since its wider, but its out side of your normal range of motion, so strains can/will occur.

You are only strong about 10-15 degrees out side of your normal strength training range of motion, after that there is a good chance of a strain if you are using the same weight.

Again, stretching will not help. Mimicking the movement using a lighter weight will. Just make sure your warmup sets are the same form as your work sets and you wont pull anything. If you keep changing form, and dont drop the weight before you are used to the new form, you will over reach and possibly strain something. You can end up in the same boat is if you all of a sudden widen your grip on the bench 6-8", it should be easier since its wider, but its out side of your normal range of motion, so strains can/will occur.

You are only strong about 10-15 degrees out side of your normal strength training range of motion, after that there is a good chance of a strain if you are using the same weight.
    Wow - I've been experimenting (messing about) with my BP grip width so you've probably saved me a strain there too. There is a lot more to think about than just lugging weight but I'm quite obsessive so suits me!

I've been trawling through the many useful posts and came across 13% BF and BW BP 1.5x BW Squat as a goal at end of cycle 7. I'm 5'9" and 80kg (~23%BF) - I think 13% BF is going to be around 75kg (165lb) which I can aim for. I'm in cycle 2 right now so if I'm going to try (and perhaps fail) properly then I get cycle bumps of 33% for squat (112.5kg goal) and 23% for BP (75kg) which look like:

Squat: Cycle 3 - 36kg, 4 - 48kg, 5 - 64kg, 6 - 85kg, Cycle 7 - 112.5kg
    Bench: Cycle 3 - 33kg, 4 - 41kg, 5 - 50kg, 6 - 62kg, Cycle 7 - 75kg

Does this progression seem wildly unrealistic or ill-advised? Total beginner so no idea what to expect! Happy to shoot for more cycles with smaller bumps - just want to to do it well and as safely as possible. Many thanks, Huw.

briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) briancl2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I do a quick, shortened version of Joe D's Limber 11 right before my workout. I sit all day and have super tight hamstrings and hips, and I used to get a little bit of discomfort on the squat warmup sets. I looked for something to warm me up quickly and this has totally solved the discomfort problem for me. FYI, for my actual squat warm ups I usually do something like 10xBar, 5x95lbs, 3x135lbs, 1x185lbs, then 2 work sets at 215lbs. I just make something work with the plates I need on the bar.

Originally Posted by briancl2 View Post
    I do a quick, shortened version of Joe D's Limber 11 right before my workout. I sit all day and have super tight hamstrings and hips, and I used to get a little bit of discomfort on the squat warmup sets. I looked for something to warm me up quickly and this has totally solved the discomfort problem for me. FYI, for my actual squat warm ups I usually do something like 10xBar, 5x95lbs, 3x135lbs, 1x185lbs, then 2 work sets at 215lbs. I just make something work with the plates I need on the bar.
    Joe D's Limber 11 is an extremely good warmup routine for squatters and deadlifters. However you will notice 10% or less of the routine is spent on upper back and arms. It is a leg warmup routine for those who are going to spend 1 hour or more on legs for that day. Your time (15min of pre warmup) would be much better spent somewhere else if you are only doing legs and lower back for 10-20min.

Wow - I've been experimenting (messing about) with my BP grip width so you've probably saved me a strain there too. There is a lot more to think about than just lugging weight but I'm quite obsessive so suits me!

I've been trawling through the many useful posts and came across 13% BF and BW BP 1.5x BW Squat as a goal at end of cycle 7. I'm 5'9" and 80kg (~23%BF) - I think 13% BF is going to be around 75kg (165lb) which I can aim for. I'm in cycle 2 right now so if I'm going to try (and perhaps fail) properly then I get cycle bumps of 33% for squat (112.5kg goal) and 23% for BP (75kg) which look like:

Squat: Cycle 3 - 36kg, 4 - 48kg, 5 - 64kg, 6 - 85kg, Cycle 7 - 112.5kg
    Bench: Cycle 3 - 33kg, 4 - 41kg, 5 - 50kg, 6 - 62kg, Cycle 7 - 75kg

Does this progression seem wildly unrealistic or ill-advised? Total beginner so no idea what to expect! Happy to shoot for more cycles with smaller bumps - just want to to do it well and as safely as possible. Many thanks, Huw.
    1.5x bw for 10 squats has only been accomplished by a few, but most are at least working with above body weight for squats by the end of the program.

A realistic goal would be:
    75KG body weight (the upper range of bmi for a 1 year lifter)
    13% body fat (the lower range for a beginner lifter without sacrificing performance for leanness)
    75kg for 10 bench
    100kg for 10 squat.

You are going to be able to bump the weight more at the beginning due to form improvements. If you want to go all out, focus on keeping the rest times on heavy day at exactly 90 seconds (max rest for max effort on the 2nd set) and the rest times as short as possible on medium/light days (max fatigue on 2nd set for max metabolite buildup) it is as low as 15-30 seconds for some people on some lifts.

1.5x bw for 10 squats has only been accomplished by a few, but most are at least working with above body weight for squats by the end of the program.

A realistic goal would be:
    75KG body weight (the upper range of bmi for a 1 year lifter)
    13% body fat (the lower range for a beginner lifter without sacrificing performance for leanness)
    75kg for 10 bench
    100kg for 10 squat.

You are going to be able to bump the weight more at the beginning due to form improvements. If you want to go all out, focus on keeping the rest times on heavy day at exactly 90 seconds (max rest for max effort on the 2nd set) and the rest times as short as possible on medium/light days (max fatigue on 2nd set for max metabolite buildup) it is as low as 15-30 seconds for some people on some lifts.
    Upper BMI sounds like a good place to aim for and the rest advice on heavy day is great - currently I don't rest much. Nice one!

AlfonsoCrinkle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Another question on weight increments - the gym I go to has dumb bells with weights at 2kg intervals. So if I'm battling away at the arnold press with 14kg dumb bells on heavy day, what is the best way to approach medium and light days? Dropping to 12kg for medium would be a ~14% decrease which is too much. Is it better to try and average out, doing one work set at 12kg and one at 14kg or something?

Originally Posted by AlfonsoCrinkle View Post
    Another question on weight increments - the gym I go to has dumb bells with weights at 2kg intervals. So if I'm battling away at the arnold press with 14kg dumb bells on heavy day, what is the best way to approach medium and light days? Dropping to 12kg for medium would be a ~14% decrease which is too much. Is it better to try and average out, doing one work set at 12kg and one at 14kg or something?
    I recommend some diy chain hoop weights. 4 .5kg loops should do it. Your next problem if you dont do the hoops, is how do you progress next cycle from 14kg?

Your other option is doing a heavy arnold on heavy day, and another heavy arnold on light day, and skipping medium day.

Closed Thread
Page 97 of 290 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 ... LastLast