Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about rest days and Push/Pull/Legs routine

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me which of these splits is best, with the differentiating factor being the number of rest days. My goals are strength, size, and overall fitness. Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Push (power)
    Pull (power)
    Legs (power)
    Rest
    Push (hypertrophy)
    Pull (hypertrophy)
    Legs (hypertrophy)
    Rest
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest

Push (power)
    Pull (power)
    Rest
    Legs (power)
    Push (hypertrophy)
    Rest
    Pull (hypertrophy)
    Legs (hypertrophy)
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest

Push (power)
    Pull (power)
    Legs (power)
    Push (hypertrophy)
    Pull (hypertrophy)
    Legs (hypertrophy)
    Rest
    Push (power)
    Pull (power)
    Legs (power)
    Push (hypertrophy)
    Pull (hypertrophy)
    Legs (hypertrophy)
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest
    Whole-body circuit
    Rest

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    None of the above

Insufficient information to form a conclusion

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why are you mixing a PPL with whole body circuits?

Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hospes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    Why are you mixing a PPL with whole body circuits?
    To keep up overall fitness.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    None of the above

Insufficient information to form a conclusion
    Happy to provide you with more information to help me - what do you need to know?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Hospes View Post
    To keep up overall fitness.
    'fitness' is a subjective measure. Fitness for what purpose? What is your real goal here? Are you training for some event or sport? Or is it for looks or general health and wellbeing?

It may be that you don't need all the circuits. They are useful if you need to improve cardiovascular conditioning - but very poor for improving strength or muscle size and not necessary for fat loss (you can simply reduce how much you eat and spare your energy supplies for lifting).

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    'fitness' is a subjective measure. Fitness for what purpose? What is your real goal here? Are you training for some event or sport? Or is it for looks or general health and wellbeing?

It may be that you don't need all the circuits. They are useful if you need to improve cardiovascular conditioning - but very poor for improving strength or muscle size and not necessary for fat loss (you can simply reduce how much you eat and spare your energy supplies for lifting).
    Thanks for your comment.

I want to build size while also incorporating cardiovascular fitness. I am lean already, but I enjoy circuits.

Forgetting the circuits though, I'm curious to know about frequency and which of the following is most effective:

-Two days on, one day rest, two days on, one day rest, etc.
    -Three days on, one day rest, three days on, one day rest, etc.
    -Five days on, two days rest, five days on, two days rest, etc.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    OK so you don't want to tell us what your real goal is - that's fine but maybe you should ask yourself why you want CV conditioning... because there is a tradeoff between hypertrophy training and CV training. You only have limited energy to expend - and compromises will have to be made... so it's an important question.

To answer your question, it doesn't really matter how you spread out the training volume. What matters is the total amount you do over the course of a week for each bodypart (usually measured in terms of hard sets). You can adapt to any pattern of resting/training. You could do some every day without any offdays - this will be fine assuming the total is still the same.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The only thing I’ll add since I think Suffolk summed up all the points rather well, is that if CV fitness is of importance there’s easier ways to do it and program it vs having a PPL legs that then gets stopped to turn into a week of circuits before going back into lifting.

You could go for brisk walks throughout the week or do something else more activity need to get the same CV benefits without interfering as much in hypertrophy.

Lifting sufficient weights for moderate reps is quite the hit to your system in its own right.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Happy to provide you with more information to help me - what do you need to know?
    You don't list any exercises, sets, reps, etc. so have no idea what you're doing each day, how much volume, or how your body may respond or need to recover. But regardless, see SP's answer above - adjust volume accordingly to how you want to set it up, or vice versa.

But PPL w/ whole body circuit in any form prob isn't optimal regardless of what your goal is. If you're interested in cardio conditioning, then do regular cardio in addition to your PPL instead of cutting into it.

You can do light cardio after each working out, cardio/sports on rest days, heavier cardio in the morning; PPL in evening. Figure out what works for you.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    OK so you don't want to tell us what your real goal is - that's fine but maybe you should ask yourself why you want CV conditioning... because there is a tradeoff between hypertrophy training and CV training. You only have limited energy to expend - and compromises will have to be made... so it's an important question.

To answer your question, it doesn't really matter how you spread out the training volume. What matters is the total amount you do over the course of a week for each bodypart (usually measured in terms of hard sets). You can adapt to any pattern of resting/training. You could do some every day without any offdays - this will be fine assuming the total is still the same.
    Haha it's not that I'm keeping secrets. I don't have any specific goals beyond improving my fitness and gaining a bit of size.

Thanks very much for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. I think I'll do 2 on, 1 off as that seems to sit well with my body.

Regarding the whole-body circuits, I just like the challenge and I often feel good after doing a few; I enjoy it. That's really the only reason I include them here. They are a new challenge to my body, help me to feel like I'm mixing things up and I feel good doing them.

It was more that I'm just uncertain about how I can optimize my fitness/size gains by resting enough between workout days.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You don't list any exercises, sets, reps, etc. so have no idea what you're doing each day, how much volume, or how your body may respond or need to recover. But regardless, see SP's answer above - adjust volume accordingly to how you want to set it up, or vice versa.

But PPL w/ whole body circuit in any form prob isn't optimal regardless of what your goal is. If you're interested in cardio conditioning, then do regular cardio in addition to your PPL instead of cutting into it.

You can do light cardio after each working out, cardio/sports on rest days, heavier cardio in the morning; PPL in evening. Figure out what works for you.
    Acknowledge that I provided little and wasn't specific enough. I was interested in knowing how many rest days would be appropriate with the assumption that whenever I go to the gym, I'm working pretty hard and challenging myself. I normally do 3 sets of 6 on power days, 3 sets of 12 on hypertrophy days.

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate the time you took to respond.

The only thing I’ll add since I think Suffolk summed up all the points rather well, is that if CV fitness is of importance there’s easier ways to do it and program it vs having a PPL legs that then gets stopped to turn into a week of circuits before going back into lifting.

You could go for brisk walks throughout the week or do something else more activity need to get the same CV benefits without interfering as much in hypertrophy.

Lifting sufficient weights for moderate reps is quite the hit to your system in its own right.
    Thanks for inputting on this! Good advice. I do take a couple 30 min walks each day with my dog, so there's that, but I sometimes crave a bit more than that which is why I worked it into a regimen.

Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks for inputting on this! Good advice. I do take a couple 30 min walks each day with my dog, so there's that, but I sometimes crave a bit more than that which is why I worked it into a regimen.

Thanks again for your advice!
    If you want to do a circuit, just do really light barbell complexes after a couple workouts.

I don’t think you want to be swapping splits week to week the way you have planned.

There’s better ways to go about things.

Heck you could even do some sort of cardio machine to get the same Effect without hindering your progress.

And I don’t necessarily think you’ll hinder progress a ton, but it’s just so many variables at play.

Like how do you know what’s slowing or stagnating progress in hypertrophy and lifting if your split constantly changes.

Edit: just to add if you want to do your plan.

Personally I’d do full body, full body, full body, L/P/P

You have to pay super close attention to your per session volume though.

And don’t swap the split. Same thing every week. If you want the LPP to alternate power/hypertrophy that’s fine. But just keep things constant otherwise you’re not going to know what to adjust.
    Last edited by Filmbuff81; 12-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.

If you want to do a circuit, just do really light barbell complexes after a couple workouts.

I don’t think you want to be swapping splits week to week the way you have planned.

There’s better ways to go about things.

Heck you could even do some sort of cardio machine to get the same Effect without hindering your progress.

And I don’t necessarily think you’ll hinder progress a ton, but it’s just so many variables at play.

Like how do you know what’s slowing or stagnating progress in hypertrophy and lifting if your split constantly changes.

Edit: just to add if you want to do your plan.

Personally I’d do full body, full body, full body, L/P/P

You have to pay super close attention to your per session volume though.

And don’t swap the split. Same thing every week. If you want the LPP to alternate power/hypertrophy that’s fine. But just keep things constant otherwise you’re not going to know what to adjust.
    That makes a lot of sense actually. I'll definitely do that. Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply, it helps a lot!