ronniba has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What the hell to do when squats is out of the game?

What program can you really do when squats is out of the question? I can’t do them because of injuries. Legpress, curl, extencion works fine.

I ran a program that was way to hard for me as a returning/beginner dude. Now I’m looking at 5x5 but the damn squats can not (as I see it, because of obvious reasons) be swapped and its not the results Im looking for.

My main goal is to look good, not just to be strong. Not looking for becomming huge, more in the fit , ohlalaaa sessy man over here, kinda workout. (Sorry for jokes).

3 days is perfect, but I can do 4, if the program lets me switch wich days I work out. (Depending on my shifts).

I also like to do 15-30 min cardio (jumping ropes, deadmills or ellipse) after main workout. (Flat stomach for the first time in 12 years? Hope so)

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ronniba View Post
    What program can you really do when squats is out of the question? I can’t do them because of injuries. ... the damn squats can not (as I see it, because of obvious reasons) be swapped and its not the results Im looking for. ...
    I also like to do 15-30 min cardio (jumping ropes, deadmills or ellipse) after main workout. (Flat stomach for the first time in 12 years? Hope so)
    Provide detail on specific injuries and how it affects your squats, otherwise it's hard to give alternatives. "Obvious reasons" isn't useful. Also, clear anything with a sports doctor or physical therapist.

Focus on your diet if you want a flat stomach. 15-30 mins of cardio will have some, but a limited, affect.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Provide detail on specific injuries and how it affects your squats, otherwise it's hard to give alternatives. "Obvious reasons" isn't useful. Also, clear anything with a sports doctor or physical therapist.

Focus on your diet if you want a flat stomach. 15-30 mins of cardio will have some, but a limited, affect.

They never stated anything on my knees. It was an accident that caused it. Obvious reasons as in squats are superior to anything else on legs.

My diet is good, drasticly changed over the last 4-5 months. No alcohol, almost no candy, no sodas.

I guess I’m looking for a program where swapping squats is’nt going to have a (as I see it) drastic change to the program as it will in 5x5.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The purpose of squats is to provide some strong resistance work against glute/quad/ham. So if medically you need to substitute then these are the muscles you'd want to hit with hack squat/leg press/leg extension/leg curl or whatever you are able/advised to do. Really what you can do is down to your specific medical needs, so like Air2fakie said you should get a qualified opinion

Just as a bit left field... could you do pistol squats (bodyweight but only one leg) if barbell squats aren't possible?
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They never stated anything on my knees. It was an accident that caused it.
    Who is "they" that would give you no details on your "injury" but just say "don't squat any more"?

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Just as a bit left field... could you do pistol squats (bodyweight but only one leg) if barbell squats aren't possible?
    Hell no I tried it for about two months last year, but it’s not possible looks really cool tho.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Who is "they" that would give you no details on your "injury" but just say "don't squat any more"?
    «They» were my doctor back in 1999, a year after the accident. I dont remember if they said what it was, but I was advised to do other options to squats.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    «They» were my doctor back in 1999, a year after the accident. I dont remember if they said what it was, but I was advised to do other options to squats.
    Its been 21 years...have you considered a reassessment? Did they tell you it was for life? What exactly was the injury? Do you still do any treatment like physio?
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Its been 21 years...have you considered a reassessment? Did they tell you it was for life? What exactly was the injury? Do you still do any treatment like physio?
    I fell on a moped, did som flips with the bike and banged my knees multiple times (with the bike wrapped oround my legs).

Yes, for life, did physio after the axcident, didnt do much. And bad knees are genetic in the family. Everything from broken bands and having to change/replace stuff in the knee. (Sorry for bad english)

And yes, I’m getting a checkup in three months

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Odd that squats are out but extensions and leg presses are in if the problem are the knees.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I fell on a moped, did som flips with the bike and banged my knees multiple times (with the bike wrapped oround my legs).

Yes, for life, did physio after the axcident, didnt do much. And bad knees are genetic in the family. Everything from broken bands and having to change/replace stuff in the knee. (Sorry for bad english)

By injury I was more interested in the diagnosis/damage ie. What if anything was torn, any knee replacement? I too find it odd that squats are no Bueno but leg extension and leg press for example are fine. I would highly consider seeing a good physio and getting an assessment done. More so considering the accident happened when you were 14 and so much can change since then. A proper physio will be able to tell you which exercises to do and which ones to avoid based on your current function as well.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)

Definitely wait until you consult your sports doctor and physio before deciding what to do. You should be cautious about leg extensions and leg press as well, which can be similarly bad for knees.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Definitely wait until you consult your sports doctor and physio before deciding what to do. You should be cautious about leg extensions and leg press as well, which can be similarly bad for knees.
    I used to do them back in 2008-2010 and now for the last 6 months. They dont hurt my knees at all, or at least I have no pain when i do those excercises.

But I will be carefull until I get it checked. All I have to do now is to find a program where squats eather is replaced or can be replaced.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to do them back in 2008-2010 and now for the last 6 months. They dont hurt my knees at all, or at least I have no pain when i do those excercises.

But I will be carefull until I get it checked. All I have to do now is to find a program where squats eather is replaced or can be replaced.

By what though. We can't give replacement recommendations from injury without knowing the cause and limitations of the injury.

I'd suggest seeing a qualified up to date physio with a sports and lifting background
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sorry to hear about your injury. That must have been scary.

Maybe you could go as light as 30% of your 1RM and do ultra high rep sets instead. You can still build maximum muscle that way. It's not the most optimal way but in your case it might work.

If your knees will allow that though.
    Personal bests

S: 140kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 154kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 29kg

Originally Posted by Gringer View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury. That must have been scary.

Maybe you could go as light as 30% of your 1RM and do ultra high rep sets instead. You can still build maximum muscle that way. It's not the most optimal way but in your case it might work.

If your knees will allow that though.

Ill try it thanks

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ill try it thanks
    Before you do please make sure you get the ok from your doctor when you go for your next check up. Just to be on the safer side. I should have wrote that in my last post lol.
    Personal bests

S: 140kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 154kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 29kg