Closed Thread
Page 146 of 290 FirstFirst ... 46 96 136 144 145 146 147 148 156 196 246 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 8698
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Marcus069 View Post
    I would much rather do pullups over curls for this program. I read in one of your earlier posts about doing 10 sets of 3. Can I incorporate that into this beginners program? If so, how do I split it up between the heavy, medium and light days? Do I just try and progress each workout until I reach the 10 sets.
    chinups are recommended since they are the opposite grip of the row, and finish off both heads of the bicep. Since its an accessory you can do what you want, as long as it doesnt affect the progression of the row. I recomend "grease the groove" which is doing multiple sets throughout the day of half your max reps.

Or you could do 1 RPE 8 set, wait 90 seconds, and do an AMRAP set.
    Or you could load up 20% body weight (or use and assisted chinup machine on medium/light day) and do standard allpro pattern (or the novice 3 sets of 4-8 reps)
    Or we got one guy that tries to get in 1 rep inbetween each exercise(and before/after the workout), so 10 reps total while hes at the gym.

VOLDEMORT0099 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    You have to work with what you got, so that would be moving up and down 5kg. So medium day is going to be 5kg lighter than heavy day, and light day is going to be 10kg lighter than heavy day.

Bar speed refers to how fast you can do the rep. a 100kg rep is going to be slower than a 50kg rep. If light days reps are just as slow as heavy days, you are not putting in as much effort.

And since you have to go down in weight so much for medium/light day, you should also reduce rest time on those 2 days. Medium day might only be 30-45 seconds of rest, and light day only 15-20 seconds. These rest times are not fixed, so you can change them any time you like, as long as you dont go above 90 seconds.
    Thanks for the explanation. But tell how much weight should i take on Medium and Light days, still confused

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VOLDEMORT0099 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. But tell how much weight should i take on Medium and Light days, still confused
    medium day needs to be 10% lighter than heavy day.
    Light day needs to be 20% lighter than heavy day.
    Round down.

VOLDEMORT0099 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    medium day needs to be 10% lighter than heavy day.
    Light day needs to be 20% lighter than heavy day.
    Round down.
    i know. i meant this.
    My Squat and Bench press is 67 lbs. So for the Medium day. I have to do 60 lbs. Problem is the gym has 2.5 and 5 kg plates. So the nearest i can go is 56 lbs. For the light day, i have to do 54.
    How do i do the lifts, do i round to the nearest number?
    The lack of weights make it hard to round up. You suggested the Hardware store. But it is out of the question right now.

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe you are going too wide on the bench? Again, a neutral grip is pinkies on the 32" rings (are you sure your bar doesnt have 36" olympic rings instead of 32" power lifting rings?). The grip should be between bench grip and OHP grip. It should not be as narrow as a chinup.

As for your curl question, biceps will grow as volume increases, so if you stall at the curl, but progress at the row, volume is increasing.
    My barbell isn't Olympic. It is about 154cm long tops and the actual grippable part is 93cm long. There are no rings, the area that is rougher for presumably placing your hands is exactly 83cm from the end of each rough part. I'll have to replace it soon as I'm going beyond the bar and the weights it came with in my main lifts, especially with the floor press which I'm at 36kg.

As for my grip I try to imitate the athlean X guys position on the floor press- so I guess I'm gripping it wide enough to be between 83-93 usually but if I don't have it there then my forearms won't be at a fully straight angle (unless I lift it from the middle part of my torso)

Rifffff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Those 2 exercises will destroy your knees in a few years. They load the knee with a completely unnatural torque. At best you can leg press, but then you get zero lower back workout.
    Hmm... can I send you a private message for some personal advices? I will appreciatie it...

Originally Posted by VOLDEMORT0099 View Post
    i know. i meant this.
    My Squat and Bench press is 67 lbs. So for the Medium day. I have to do 60 lbs. Problem is the gym has 2.5 and 5 kg plates. So the nearest i can go is 56 lbs. For the light day, i have to do 54.
    How do i do the lifts, do i round to the nearest number?
    The lack of weights make it hard to round up. You suggested the Hardware store. But it is out of the question right now.
    Ok lets stop mixing units:
    squat and bench working weight is 30kg
    You can only go up and down 5kg

So your problem is the 27kg medium day, and 24kg light day.

So your choice are 25kg, and 20kg.

Now i told you this really doesnt matter, if you can increase your bar speed and decrease your rest time, since heavy day is what is promoting the strength gains.

If you want to do some complex math, assume you can do 30kg for 10 reps. That is a 1rm of 40kg (10 reps is 75% of 1rm). Now medium day needs to be 10% easier than 40kg, and light day needs to be 20% easier.

So if we reroll, medium day needs to have a calculated 1rm of 36kg, and light day needs to have a calcuated 1rm of 32kg.

Expanding on this, how many reps of 25kg = 1rm of 36kg, and how many reps of 20kg = 1rm of 32kg.

the answer is 12 reps for medium day, and 14 reps.

So those are the reps you need to hit, on 10 rep week.

So i guess you could just add 2 reps to medium day, and 4 reps on light day, to make up the effort from the lighter weights.

Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    My barbell isn't Olympic. It is about 154cm long tops and the actual grippable part is 93cm long. There are no rings, the area that is rougher for presumably placing your hands is exactly 83cm from the end of each rough part. I'll have to replace it soon as I'm going beyond the bar and the weights it came with in my main lifts, especially with the floor press which I'm at 36kg.

As for my grip I try to imitate the athlean X guys position on the floor press- so I guess I'm gripping it wide enough to be between 83-93 usually but if I don't have it there then my forearms won't be at a fully straight angle (unless I lift it from the middle part of my torso)
    Odds are you have a "standard" bar with 1" plate holes. As for grip, distance between the index fingers needs to be 810mm or closer, and most have the pinkies at 810mm. Go too narrow, and its all chest/triceps, go too wide, and its mostly shoulders, and a lot of straining on the connective tissue.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/pow...les-equipment/

Originally Posted by Rifffff View Post
    Hmm... can I send you a private message for some personal advices? I will appreciatie it...
    Sure, but thanks to the horrible website "update" from last year, it might be days before it shows up that i have messages...

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Odds are you have a "standard" bar with 1" plate holes. As for grip, distance between the index fingers needs to be 810mm or closer, and most have the pinkies at 810mm. Go too narrow, and its all chest/triceps, go too wide, and its mostly shoulders, and a lot of straining on the connective tissue.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/pow...les-equipment/
    Hmm okay that's interesting I've been a fair bit wider than that, which might explain why my left shoulder feels a bit of a dull ache. In fact I was goin to ask: even though greyskull style OHP's with a suicide grip is working well for me the warm up of 15 with just the bar is bizarrely exhausting, with the left shoulder especially quick to be weakened. I have overcome it with minimal issue so far but if it gets worse should i switch to a javelin presses instead?

Also what's your take on creatine? I am sure all the stuff about it making people go bald and ****ting a lot is probably bull but I wonder if it is any more or less useful than just taking protein powder of some description.

Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    Hmm okay that's interesting I've been a fair bit wider than that, which might explain why my left shoulder feels a bit of a dull ache. In fact I was goin to ask: even though greyskull style OHP's with a suicide grip is working well for me the warm up of 15 with just the bar is bizarrely exhausting, with the left shoulder especially quick to be weakened. I have overcome it with minimal issue so far but if it gets worse should i switch to a javelin presses instead?

Also what's your take on creatine? I am sure all the stuff about it making people go bald and ****ting a lot is probably bull but I wonder if it is any more or less useful than just taking protein powder of some description.
    The javelin press is more of shoulder press, if you cant get the bar below your chin, its not a good sub for the OHP. There are several different styles of OHP grip and form, as long as it starts at the collar bone and ends with a shrug, feel free to try it. You can even try the seated arnold press if you want.

As for creatine, its only good for the first 6 months or less of lifting. Once your muscles are trained, they are going to store all the creatine they need on there own, eating more isnt going to make them store more. Its kinda like trying to increase your cholesterol count, by eating high cholesterol foods, it doesnt work that way. You can trick your muscles into storing more creatine, by eating the creatine monohydrate, but thats only going to work till they figure out how to do it on their own. You will notice no one with a scholarship, or putting food on the table, is taking creatine. If it gave even a 1% edge, it would be mandatory.

Marcus069 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    chinups are recommended since they are the opposite grip of the row, and finish off both heads of the bicep. Since its an accessory you can do what you want, as long as it doesnt affect the progression of the row. I recomend "grease the groove" which is doing multiple sets throughout the day of half your max reps.

Or you could do 1 RPE 8 set, wait 90 seconds, and do an AMRAP set.
    Or you could load up 20% body weight (or use and assisted chinup machine on medium/light day) and do standard allpro pattern (or the novice 3 sets of 4-8 reps)
    Or we got one guy that tries to get in 1 rep inbetween each exercise(and before/after the workout), so 10 reps total while hes at the gym.
    Thank nightanole, great options there. I wanted to incorporate it into the standard all pro pattern so everything is in sync but I wont be able to do 20% extra body weight (which would be 16kg) for chinups on my heavy day for 8 reps (even with band assistance). No assisted chinup machine as I am doing these at home on a power frame. Can I just do my heavy day with only 1kg extra, medium with 0.5kg and light day just my bodyweight? Or would that just be too slow progression for the chinups?

Sure, but thanks to the horrible website "update" from last year, it might be days before it shows up that i have messages...
    I have sent you a personal message!

Thank nightanole, great options there. I wanted to incorporate it into the standard all pro pattern so everything is in sync but I wont be able to do 20% extra body weight (which would be 16kg) for chinups on my heavy day for 8 reps (even with band assistance). No assisted chinup machine as I am doing these at home on a power frame. Can I just do my heavy day with only 1kg extra, medium with 0.5kg and light day just my bodyweight? Or would that just be too slow progression for the chinups?
    Sounds like ya got bands brah. Why dont you use unassisted on heavy day, 1 band on medium day, and 2 bands on light day, or band on knee medium day and band on foot light day?

Marcus069 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like ya got bands brah. Why dont you use unassisted on heavy day, 1 band on medium day, and 2 bands on light day, or band on knee medium day and band on foot light day?
    Thanks I will try this band method first.
    Just got a few more questions

1) How much rest between the warm up sets - is that also 90 seconds or short as possible?
    2) Can I use Pendlay Rows for the barbell rows? I have done 3 months on StrongLifts and am used to this and feel it is more effective than the other row variations.
    3) Also, Mehdi from Stronglifts says that OHP and Bench shouldnt be done in the same workout. Can I hear your response to this?

Thanks again, nightanole!

xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Nightanole,

Quick update, I did 8 sets of 1 rep of the bodyweight chin ups during my workout, with break of around 5 mins per set. What happens when I reach 10, what should be the next progression? Should I then try to do 5 sets of 2 reps, and then 3 sets of 3 reps etc?

Thanks!

Thanks I will try this band method first.
    Just got a few more questions

1) How much rest between the warm up sets - is that also 90 seconds or short as possible?
    2) Can I use Pendlay Rows for the barbell rows? I have done 3 months on StrongLifts and am used to this and feel it is more effective than the other row variations.
    3) Also, Mehdi from Stronglifts says that OHP and Bench shouldnt be done in the same workout. Can I hear your response to this?

Thanks again, nightanole!
    1) no rest, the only rest time required is the time between work sets, no rest between warmup sets, or time between warmup and worksets, or time between exercises. If you are good, you can get the workout done in 45min or less.
    2) while not optimal, you can do it. Pendlay is an accessory for the the deadlift, it promotes explosive power and doesnt fatigue the lower back as much (so yea more deadlift volume!). However the bent over row puts the most meat on a lifter, and does the most to reenforce the back. Either is good, and we are splitting hairs on which one is vastly superior.
    3) Mehdi is not a coach, has zero certs, zero records, zero clients with records. Hes an internet marketer that took and old school program, and boiled it down to a few lifts. Also due to the 2 sets, you need the bench and OHP in order to get in enough chest/arm volume.

Originally Posted by xempik View Post
    Hi Nightanole,

Quick update, I did 8 sets of 1 rep of the bodyweight chin ups during my workout, with break of around 5 mins per set. What happens when I reach 10, what should be the next progression? Should I then try to do 5 sets of 2 reps, and then 3 sets of 3 reps etc?

Thanks!
    Always try to increase the reps per set, in order to slowly increase the daily total.

So next week you might get the first 1,2, or 3 sets with 2 reps, and that would increase your total to 10-11 reps.

There is not much we can do with you right now till you can get in a solid 10 rep set, or 2 sets of 5 with 3min or less rest. Feel free to re test your max reps for 1 set, every 2 weeks.

Once you get in the 2 sets of 5, or 1 set of 10, we can switch you over to the 10 sets of 3 with 30 second rests. You do sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest, till you fail a rep, then you stop for the day. If you get in all 10 sets, you just did 30 reps in about 7 minutes, and can add 5-10lbs which should knock you down to 6-7 sets again.

@nightanole

Did you already receive my PM? Maybe we can communicatie via Skype.. if you want?

Originally Posted by Rifffff View Post
    @nightanole

Did you already receive my PM? Maybe we can communicatie via Skype.. if you want?
    Responded yesterday...

Dixeycot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Beginners Workout

Could you tell me if this is suitable for an early 50s women who is fit but nevertheless a beginner on the weightlifting front? Many thanks.

Originally Posted by Dixeycot View Post
    Could you tell me if this is suitable for an early 50s women who is fit but nevertheless a beginner on the weightlifting front? Many thanks.
    I hear this program is popular over at the women's section, but i dont hang out over there.

There are plenty of women who ran the program just fine.

The only stipulation is you will fail a test day more often than a male. So dont expect to pass every test day in a row. On the other hand thanks to the long tail of the women's muscle gain, towards the end of the program you will be failing less often than the males. So when the men start failing 2-3 test days in a row, the women will still be passing every other cycle.

So with everybody, start out light so you dont fail your first test day. If test day was real easy, you can just bump 15-20%. Some can double their squat working weight in 3 cycles.

rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey,

Pulled my hamstring playing soccer. It's pretty bruised around the knee. From the pain, I would say just over a grade 1, but probably not a grade 2.

Any exercises I should or should not do while it heals and any exercise I should add later so that it will hopefully keep it from happening again.

Thanks

Ron
    Ron

Current: Height:5'9 Weight: 169 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Goal:___Height:5'9 Weight: 170 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Dream:_Height:5'9 Weight: 180 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:14%

Originally Posted by rlefebvr View Post
    Hey,

Pulled my hamstring playing soccer. It's pretty bruised around the knee. From the pain, I would say just over a grade 1, but probably not a grade 2.

Any exercises I should or should not do while it heals and any exercise I should add later so that it will hopefully keep it from happening again.

Thanks

Ron
    Treat it like a bruise, dont massage or stretch it, just let it heal. In a week or 2 (1 week min, 2 weeks max) start doing 2 sets of AMRAP good mornings, unloaded with your hands on your hips. Do this every allpro working in replacement of the SLDL. Also do not squat. Oncey you can get in 2 sets of 40, do them like super man (arms out) once you can do 2 sets of 40, you should be good to go with allpro, with a 10-15% reset on squat/SLDL.

xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xempik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Treat it like a bruise, dont massage or stretch it, just let it heal. In a week or 2 (1 week min, 2 weeks max) start doing 2 sets of AMRAP good mornings, unloaded with your hands on your hips. Do this every allpro working in replacement of the SLDL. Also do not squat. Oncey you can get in 2 sets of 40, do them like super man (arms out) once you can do 2 sets of 40, you should be good to go with allpro, with a 10-15% reset on squat/SLDL.
    Hey Nightanole, my back is pretty sore, I think I had bad form or maybe just overloaded it. Do you recommend the same as above?

Originally Posted by xempik View Post
    Hey Nightanole, my back is pretty sore, I think I had bad form or maybe just overloaded it. Do you recommend the same as above?
    OP has a grade 1 or 2 muscle tear with internal bleeding. OP needs to "heal in motion" so the muscle belly that is torn doesnt scar over.

For people who "over did it" or bad formed a bit too much, the pattern is different.

For you all you have to do is an extended warmup set. So just do 4-5 linear weight warmup sets( so 45lbs for 10, 55lbs for 10, 65lbs for 10, 80lbs for 10, if it feels good go for the 95-100lb work set) till you get to 80-85% of your working weight. If pain does not increase as the wamrup sets get heavier, you are free to do the work sets. If pain increases, stop and try again next session.

StreetSS376 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been running this for 6 cycles and am having trouble increasing my squat to the desired 1.25-1.5 bw goal. I am 5'7" and body weight went from 182 lbs to 143 during first 5 cycles. I have been slowly increasing calories this cycle to gain .5 lbs per week. Current macros set at C 300, P 170, F 90. It has taken me most of this cycle to start gaining weight. Currently at 144. My working weights are:

Bench - 140
    Squat - 145
    Row - 100
    OHP - 90
    SLDL - 145
    Curl - 65

Next week would be the start of cycle 7. On this last test day I did not pass squat, ohp, and bench. Squat was short by 2 reps on second set and ohp/bench by 1 on second set. Should I continue on course, switch to something else like the All Pro intermediate routine you posted a few weeks back (my thinking here is it has some accessory work), or some other suggestions?

Thx
    Last edited by StreetSS376; 08-24-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Add test data

Originally Posted by StreetSS376 View Post
    I have been running this for 6 cycles and am having trouble increasing my squat to the desired 1.25-1.5 bw goal. I am 5'7" and body weight went from 182 lbs to 143 during first 5 cycles. I have been slowly increasing calories this cycle to gain .5 lbs per week. Current macros set at C 300, P 170, F 90. It has taken me most of this cycle to start gaining weight. Currently at 144. My working weights are:

Bench - 140
    Squat - 145
    Row - 100
    OHP - 90
    SLDL - 145
    Curl - 65

Next week would be the start of cycle 7. On this last test day I did not pass squat, ohp, and bench. Squat was short by 2 reps on second set and ohp/bench by 1 on second set. Should I continue on course, switch to something else like the All Pro intermediate routine you posted a few weeks back (my thinking here is it has some accessory work), or some other suggestions?

Thx
    How about you switch to "novice" which is switching bench/row/squat to 3 sets of 4-8 reps? Test day is still 24 reps total if you do the math. I did that when i hit body weight on the squat, and around 3/4 body weight on the bench.

StreetSS376 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How about you switch to "novice" which is switching bench/row/squat to 3 sets of 4-8 reps? Test day is still 24 reps total if you do the math. I did that when i hit body weight on the squat, and around 3/4 body weight on the bench.
    Sounds good. I will run it that way all next cycle and see if I have progressed. I have been using 90 second rests between sets on the first three exercises and 60 seconds for the remaining ones. Is that correct?

anon4vr1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You kinda answered your own question. The SLDL improves the form of the high bar squat. Odds are you cant get past your knees in the SLDL(like alot of people) Which means you cant properly load your quads in the high bar squat, so it turns into a good morning and the weight shifts forward when coming out of the hole.

Im going to tell you what i tell everyone, run the program as is for at least 2 cycles before altering it. Let the program do its job.

If you want to try "something" that would be the high bar box squat. One thing that is not mentioned in the video, is that while sitting on the box, the shin needs to be perpendicular to the floor in all directions. If you knees travel forward, you are doing a half arsed box squat. If your knees bend in, you will get knee pain in about 4-6 sessions.
    hello again, I took your advice the last workout and tried box squats and i guess i am learning proper squat now cuz i had no strains in my groin like i used to have after each session and i didn't lean forward as before.

but for the SLDLi tried to push it and I think I got injured my left lower back/glute.

The problem is like follows : when I get up from a bending over position i feel a sharp pain in the very low left back radiating to left glute for less than 2 seconds then it subsides , it also appears after finishing the bent over rows and getting upright. I had a training session today but i didn't go and tried to rest. what can i do about this ? the pain is not big really. should i go tomorrow and train through it or should i completely stop it and wait for recovery ?

Thank you for your time

Closed Thread
Page 146 of 290 FirstFirst ... 46 96 136 144 145 146 147 148 156 196 246 ... LastLast