Page 257 of 258 FirstFirst ... 157 207 247 255 256 257 258 LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,710 of 7718
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sja317 View Post
    I just finished cycle 4 yesterday, and I'm having a problem with bench press. I was on a cut for the first 3 cycles, and switched to a slow bulk at the beginning of C4. I failed BP last cycle, along with OHP and barely got BOR, which I attributed to being on a cut. But on this cycle, I passed everything except BP. The issue I'm having is that I'll be chugging along just fine for the first 10 reps, and then it feels like suddenly my strength drops out from under me and I can't get the last two reps. I had the same feeling when I failed last cycle, though I was a couple reps shorter of 12 than this time. I was able to re-rack for a few seconds and then get the last two reps, but I know that's not a good pass.

I did slightly better than last cycle, but it's disappointing that I couldn't get it done for the second test day in a row even being on a surplus (I track everything so my calories and macros are dialed in). Any ideas on what the issue might be or how to fix it? Or does this sound like a normal progression and I should just repeat the weight for a third time?

Below are my starting and current weights for reference:
    Squat 135 -180 (switched to novice at the start of this cycle)
    BP 95 - 115
    BOR 85 - 115
    OHP 55 -65
    SLDL 145 -165
    Curl 65 -70
    Calf raise 185 (2x12) - 225 (2x16)

Nothing looks out of wack. BP and row are about equal, and OHP is at least 60% of BP.

If you wanted a BP accessory, id do what i have the other guy doing, a few reps of very heavy bench press at the end of the workout.

"do 3 reps. These 3 reps can be one of 2 styles. They can be a 3 rep max, so odds are 115% of heavy day. Or they can be 3 singles with 30-60 seconds of rest, using around 125% of your heavy day. For OHP you can also try deep push presses using your light day bench weight, for a few reps."

sja317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    If you wanted a BP accessory, id do what i have the other guy doing, a few reps of very heavy bench press at the end of the workout.
    Thanks, nightanole (for this and all your other contribution). Would I do this every workout or just heavy day?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks, nightanole (for this and all your other contribution). Would I do this every workout or just heavy day?
    Every workout and you dont go H/M/L, its the same weight each workout. If you do the math, its Very little weekly volume increase. Its the equivalent of 1 extra set of heavy day spread out across the week.

sja317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Every workout and you dont go H/M/L, its the same weight each workout. If you do the math, its Very little weekly volume increase. Its the equivalent of 1 extra set of heavy day spread out across the week.
    I'll try it. Just curious, what's the theory behind this given it isn't a ton of extra volume. Does this spur muscle growth (maybe because the 3 reps are all "good" reps) or is this about mental conditioning to get your body used to a higher weight?

I'll try it. Just curious, what's the theory behind this given it isn't a ton of extra volume. Does this spur muscle growth (maybe because the 3 reps are all "good" reps) or is this about mental conditioning to get your body used to a higher weight?
    The main thought behind it is to true up form. With a 10-20 rep weight, you can lock it out no matter what you do. You can have it hit above the nipple line and end up with the wrists closer to the head vs elbows, and still push up. You can push up with non full strength (dogging the weight as the say) so you have energy to complete all reps.

When you go heavy, you have to have efficient form to complete the rep, no lever arms. You also have to push with full power in order to generate the momentum required to complete the rep.

paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000) paulinkansas is just really nice. (+1000)
    Which accessory lift should I add when the time is right? Triceps or a vertical pull? I'd like bigger arms, and I'd also like a wider back. I used to work my tris, but stopped when I started AllPros. My arms stopped growing in circumference about 2-3 months before doing AllPros.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Which accessory lift should I add when the time is right? Triceps or a vertical pull? I'd like bigger arms, and I'd also like a wider back. I used to work my tris, but stopped when I started AllPros. My arms stopped growing in circumference about 2-3 months before doing AllPros.
    The biggest are meat builders are close grip chinups, and the seated arnold press. Generally i advise to add accessories like vitamins. You have a fixed about you take each session, and you dont increase dosage as long as the core allpro lifts are improving.

Originally Posted by cannonclinton1 View Post
    I need your advice on the kind of workout exercises I should do. I have skinny fat on my chest, stomach and little on my back. Age: 23, Weight: 150 pounds, height: 6 feet.
    P.S. I haven't been to the gym before.
    You look 18-20%

runnings some numbers...

121.5 LBS lean body mass...

So ideally you would want to cut to about 140lbs, then start a slow bulk. This is assuming you gain a wee bit of muscle during the cut.

As for which program to use, since you dont have a massive amount of fat to lose, are in early 20's, and never lifted, literally any sticky would work. The rest just depends on which program you are willing to stick with for at least 6 months, and if you like to add a little weight per session, per week, or like to add reps.

sonivx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey nightanole

I'm planning to start the Allpro routine, but have a question re its effectiveness in my case. I'm currently training 6 times a week in splits of Leg/Shoulder, Back/Bicep, Chest/Triceps mostly with 4 set 10 reps, excluding Warm-up sets. I calculated my 10 Rep max and based on that the total Workout volume for a week from all pro's program is significantly lower than my current routine.

I'm currently at 177 lb, 21% body fat and running on a calorie deficit. I've struggled to add Volume to a single exercise in my current routine so I added accessory workouts e.g. weighted Step up, leg extension/Curl for Squat and Concentration curl for Biceps etc.

As the total volume will be lower for all pro's routine compared to my current routine, would I make good progress on it? My goal is to cut the fat and increase Size/Strength both balanced. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by sonivx View Post
    Hey nightanole

I'm planning to start the Allpro routine, but have a question re its effectiveness in my case. I'm currently training 6 times a week in splits of Leg/Shoulder, Back/Bicep, Chest/Triceps mostly with 4 set 10 reps, excluding Warm-up sets. I calculated my 10 Rep max and based on that the total Workout volume for a week from all pro's program is significantly lower than my current routine.

I'm currently at 177 lb, 21% body fat and running on a calorie deficit. I've struggled to add Volume to a single exercise in my current routine so I added accessory workouts e.g. weighted Step up, leg extension/Curl for Squat and Concentration curl for Biceps etc.

As the total volume will be lower for all pro's routine compared to my current routine, would I make good progress on it? My goal is to cut the fat and increase Size/Strength both balanced. Thanks for your help.
    BMI of 24 @ 13% bf
    10 reps of bw bench
    10 reps of 1..25-1.5x bw squats

That is what allpro can do for you. If you are within 15-20% of that i would not run allpro. There is no point in running a program for 3 months, when it will take 6 weeks just to adapt to it.

However it sounds like you are running an advanced routine. The are great for people looking to put 10-20lbs onto there lifts over 12-18 months. They are also great for advanced lifters that are so strong that 1 session can take them 5-6 days to recover from before they can repeat the session with the same weight.

Beginners generally need very low volume and very high frequency. They have very little conditioning, but can recover like wolverine.

mpizzle421 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mpizzle421 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Question... just wanted to see if this routine was appropriate for me (and did read the initial thread and sticky).

I'm currently 215lbs @ 23-24% BF

That's roughly 160-165lbs LBM

My current lifts (sets of 10)
    - Bench - 155-160lbs
    - Squat - 175-180lbs
    - OHP - 100lbs (I use dumbbells so assume maybe more on the barbbell)
    - Row - 120lbs (Again, use dumbbells here. I don't know how well a 60lb dumbbell in each arm compares to barbbell)
    - SLDL - ?? (As part of my current program I do them with dumbbell @ 50lbs each / sets of 15. Just burn out stuff so not sure)
    - Curl (as if it matters lol) - 75lbs with good form.

155 is significantly under 215. 155 is not significantly under 160 (which is LBM). Would I be wise to follow this program or would you suggest looking elsewhere. I wasn't sure how much my blubber contributed to the general guidelines presented?

Also, I have previously tried this program. I had some issues with shoulders that I don't experience now (which I attribute to some of the auxiliary shoulder work in my current program). If allpro is still recommended do you have any recommended shoulder work (light weight supportive stuff)?

Oh and reason for wanting to deviate from what I'm doing now - it's a split designed by the well meaning trainer at my gym. Chest,Legs, Back/Shoulders,Arms. No progression built in. Too much volume for my limited experience. Probably inefficient.
    Last edited by mpizzle421; 09-17-2019 at 11:05 AM.

BMI of 24 @ 13% bf
    10 reps of bw bench
    10 reps of 1..25-1.5x bw squats

That is what allpro can do for you. If you are within 15-20% of that i would not run allpro. There is no point in running a program for 3 months, when it will take 6 weeks just to adapt to it.

However it sounds like you are running an advanced routine. The are great for people looking to put 10-20lbs onto there lifts over 12-18 months. They are also great for advanced lifters that are so strong that 1 session can take them 5-6 days to recover from before they can repeat the session with the same weight.

Beginners generally need very low volume and very high frequency. They have very little conditioning, but can recover like wolverine.
    Thanks, Nightanole for the quick revert. I'm nowhere close to an advanced routine. To be honest, I recently started compound lifts, current stats are
    Bench (Dumbell) - 50 lb 10x4
    Overhead PRess(Dumbell) - 35lb 10x4
    Deadlift --> 200lb x5 (haven't been very regular on deadlifts the peak I reached was 200 lb for 5 reps in a set, otherwise 160 lb 10x4 sets.
    Squat --> 140lb 10x4

I posted my current workout plan on my thread (removed http) forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177541021
    The reason my current volume is high is due to a lot of accessory workouts I'm doing. However I'm not following any structured way to increase the volume, just keep adding as and when I feel, I can do more. That's why I'm thinking to move to a more structured program to see better results in terms of losing the stubborn fat and gain some pounds of muscle.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sonivx; 09-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Originally Posted by mpizzle421 View Post
    Question... just wanted to see if this routine was appropriate for me (and did read the initial thread and sticky).

I'm currently 215lbs @ 23-24% BF

That's roughly 160-165lbs LBM

My current lifts (sets of 10)
    - Bench - 155-160lbs
    - Squat - 175-180lbs
    - OHP - 100lbs (I use dumbbells so assume maybe more on the barbbell)
    - Row - 120lbs (Again, use dumbbells here. I don't know how well a 60lb dumbbell in each arm compares to barbbell)
    - SLDL - ?? (As part of my current program I do them with dumbbell @ 50lbs each / sets of 15. Just burn out stuff so not sure)
    - Curl (as if it matters lol) - 75lbs with good form.

155 is significantly under 215. 155 is not significantly under 160 (which is LBM). Would I be wise to follow this program or would you suggest looking elsewhere. I wasn't sure how much my blubber contributed to the general guidelines presented?

Also, I have previously tried this program. I had some issues with shoulders that I don't experience now (which I attribute to some of the auxiliary shoulder work in my current program). If allpro is still recommended do you have any recommended shoulder work (light weight supportive stuff)?

Oh and reason for wanting to deviate from what I'm doing now - it's a split designed by the well meaning trainer at my gym. Chest,Legs, Back/Shoulders,Arms. No progression built in. Too much volume for my limited experience. Probably inefficient.
    How tall are you? Since you did some of the math, my calc says you should be 185-190 when ending the program if you dont lose a lick of muscle. So getting your 160 bench to 190, on a cut, is going to take more than 3 cycles, so allpro may still be in your wheel house.

Allpro allows 2 accessories, so you could have them both be shoulder pre hab, that would be slightly bent over pinky down lateral raises, and some high pull like face pulls or Upright rows.

Originally Posted by sonivx View Post
    Thanks, Nightanole for the quick revert. I'm nowhere close to an advanced routine. To be honest, I recently started compound lifts, current stats are
    Bench (Dumbell) - 50 lb 10x4
    Overhead PRess(Dumbell) - 35lb 10x4
    Deadlift --> 200lb x5 (haven't been very regular on deadlifts the peak I reached was 200 lb for 5 reps in a set, otherwise 160 lb 10x4 sets.
    Squat --> 140lb 10x4

I posted my current workout plan on my thread (removed http) forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177541021
    The reason my current volume is high is due to a lot of accessory workouts I'm doing. However I'm not following any structured way to increase the volume, just keep adding as and when I feel, I can do more. That's why I'm thinking to move to a more structured program to see better results in terms of losing the stubborn fat and gain some pounds of muscle.
    yea generally its the progression pattern that dictates if its n00b or advanced. If your gym bro gave you zero progression, its not a very good program. Based on the need to lose weight, and the starting weights, allpro should be optimal for you for at least 6 months.

mpizzle421 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mpizzle421 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How tall are you? Since you did some of the math, my calc says you should be 185-190 when ending the program if you dont lose a lick of muscle.
    My height - 5'9". I like to throw another half inch in just for good measure depending on who I'm talking to

I'm sure this is answered all over the place, but what does this mean exactly. I probably missed something obvious but what signifies the end of the program other than stalling + how are you calculating my weight loss? Is there some optimal deficit I should be reading up on?

So getting your 160 bench to 190, on a cut, is going to take more than 3 cycles, so allpro may still be in your wheel house.
    Is it less than +10% every cycle when cutting then I take it? Is that applicable to only upper body or lower as well?

Allpro allows 2 accessories, so you could have them both be shoulder pre hab, that would be slightly bent over pinky down lateral raises, and some high pull like face pulls or Upright rows.
    pinky down lateral raise - as in thumb up/pinky down hand positioned vertically?

upright rows are kind of tricky for my shoulders. Do you have a preference?

Final question for now - it appears that some people do a mixture of standard allpro + novice allpro for scenarios where they could continue to get stronger on some exercises with standard but stall on others. Is that the case?

My height - 5'9". I like to throw another half inch in just for good measure depending on who I'm talking to

I'm sure this is answered all over the place, but what does this mean exactly. I probably missed something obvious but what signifies the end of the program other than stalling + how are you calculating my weight loss? Is there some optimal deficit I should be reading up on?

Is it less than +10% every cycle when cutting then I take it? Is that applicable to only upper body or lower as well?

pinky down lateral raise - as in thumb up/pinky down hand positioned vertically?

upright rows are kind of tricky for my shoulders. Do you have a preference?

Final question for now - it appears that some people do a mixture of standard allpro + novice allpro for scenarios where they could continue to get stronger on some exercises with standard but stall on others. Is that the case?

The program starts to not have enough volume, and has too fast of a progression pattern, around the time you can bench body weight 10 reps @ 13% bf, with a bmi around 24. After that you would be better off with an intermediate pattern that has you adding up to 25-33% per year, but can be rans as low as 5% unaltered, and normally they have 50-100% more weekly volume vs allpro.

On a bulk (1kg per cycle) you may be able to go from 160, to 175, to 190-195, in 3 cycles. On a cut you are going to miss about half your "test days, so you will be running at an average of 5% a cycle. Progression slows down a lot once you start getting close to body weight. The same goes with squats, people can shoot up to body weight pretty quick, but trying to get to 125% of body weight is going to take more than 2 more cycles.

To keep from flossing your shoulder joint with your connective tissue during the lateral raise, you need to keep your thumb knuckle above your pinkie knuckle. Morons will do the pinkie up version "so they can feel it", yea they are feeling something alright...

Upright rows are recommended above curls for the program. The correct form for the upright row is to use a bar bell and tune your grip width so that the rep naturally ends when eblows get to shoulder level. The "bad" version is the elbows to ears level.

"Novice" is switching "up to" the first 3 lifts to 3 sets of 4-8 reps. This gives a deeper deload and a faster ramp up, and if you do the math, test day is still 24 reps total, you just get 1 extra rest period. You will find that as you get stronger, you can tax yourself more, and it will require a bit more time to recover. A good time to thing about this novice pattern is around bw for squats, and after 1 plate for bench.

I went ahead and did a test day today (although I did a second set of each exercise to make sure I didn't have a wasted work out day). I had one result that was really surprising that I could use some advice on if possible.

Squat - I did 12 @ 165lbs. I did a second set with 170lbs @ 8 reps. I started a little lower in weight than I can realistically do because I wanted to really try to focus on form. I landed on 170lbs. My first bump will take me up to 185lbs which is plenty from where I am today.

Stiff Legged Dead Lift - I accidentally did this out of order. Wasn't thinking. I did a set @ 155lbs x 10. I could have probably gotten a few extra reps but I don't normally do this one heavy and felt it was a reasonable starting point for me.

Bench Press - 160lbs x 9. Truth be told I had a 10th. rep but was not of the highest quality and definitely hit failure. Second set was 155lbs x 7. I'm not sure if I should go with 155 or even a little less. 150lbs may be a better starting point and my first bump will be 165lbs. I think that's going to be plenty. Suggestion?

Row - This was a total mess for me. To start with I did SLDL first and fatigued my grip some (I have terrible grip strength). I put on some straps but still... second I only put 95 on the bar and I struggled with it. Almost everything felt like it was in my arms. Had a really difficult time isolating my back. Barbbell rowing is not something I'm used to.

I regularly do deadlifts @ 205 x 6-8 (4 sets), dumbbell row @ 55 x 10, 60 x 8 (4 sets), and lat pulldown 110 x 12, 120 x 10 (4 sets) so I really didn't think I should be so weak here. However, important to note, I can't do pullups at all. Not even 1. A trainer I worked with noticed that the start of the pullup looked ok (bicep) but I fell apart when my back was supposed to kick in.

I also get nagging issues with my forearms/elbows (tennis elbow kind of thing). It may be that a big part of that is that I'm compensating with my arms when my back should be doing the work (which I certainly feel on the back day I referenced above). I don't have a good connection with back exercises and don't think I do a good job of engaging/isolating my lats over my arms, etc.

How big of a problem and any suggestions?

OHP - This was awkward with a barbbell for me too. I settled on 95lbs. I don't have a horrible time with 45 - 50lbs dumbells so a little surprised. I was admittedly a little burnt by this time. We have a seated station in the gym for OHP and that's how they were performed. Only thing I didn't like is the rack being slightly behind my head which my shoulders probably don't love. There was a front rack too but way too far forward as a launching point for me. Not something I'm used to with a barbell so guessing I'll probably get used to it and improve quickly here. I felt more hindered by inexperience and awkwardness.

That said - any concerns with the seated variety of this exercise?

Calf Raise - I settled on 200lbs x 15 reps. I didn't use a barbell here. We have a standing machine in the gym. If I'm really holding myself back by not using the barbell I supposed I can get back in the squat rack.

Curl - if anyone cares 75lbs
    Last edited by mpizzle421; 09-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.

I went ahead and did a test day today (although I did a second set of each exercise to make sure I didn't have a wasted work out day). I had one result that was really surprising that I could use some advice on if possible.

Squat - I did 12 @ 165lbs. I did a second set with 170lbs @ 8 reps. I started a little lower in weight than I can realistically do because I wanted to really try to focus on form. I landed on 170lbs. My first bump will take me up to 185lbs which is plenty from where I am today.

Stiff Legged Dead Lift - I accidentally did this out of order. Wasn't thinking. I did a set @ 155lbs x 10. I could have probably gotten a few extra reps but I don't normally do this one heavy and felt it was a reasonable starting point for me.

Bench Press - 160lbs x 9. Truth be told I had a 10th. rep but was not of the highest quality and definitely hit failure. Second set was 155lbs x 7. I'm not sure if I should go with 155 or even a little less. 150lbs may be a better starting point and my first bump will be 165lbs. I think that's going to be plenty. Suggestion?

Row - This was a total mess for me. To start with I did SLDL first and fatigued my grip some (I have terrible grip strength). I put on some straps but still... second I only put 95 on the bar and I struggled with it. Almost everything felt like it was in my arms. Had a really difficult time isolating my back. Barbbell rowing is not something I'm used to.

I regularly do deadlifts @ 205 x 6-8 (4 sets), dumbbell row @ 55 x 10, 60 x 8 (4 sets), and lat pulldown 110 x 12, 120 x 10 (4 sets) so I really didn't think I should be so weak here. However, important to note, I can't do pullups at all. Not even 1. A trainer I worked with noticed that the start of the pullup looked ok (bicep) but I fell apart when my back was supposed to kick in.

I also get nagging issues with my forearms/elbows (tennis elbow kind of thing). It may be that a big part of that is that I'm compensating with my arms when my back should be doing the work (which I certainly feel on the back day I referenced above). I don't have a good connection with back exercises and don't think I do a good job of engaging/isolating my lats over my arms, etc.

How big of a problem and any suggestions?

OHP - This was awkward with a barbbell for me too. I settled on 95lbs. I don't have a horrible time with 45 - 50lbs dumbells so a little surprised. I was admittedly a little burnt by this time. We have a seated station in the gym for OHP and that's how they were performed. Only thing I didn't like is the rack being slightly behind my head which my shoulders probably don't love. There was a front rack too but way to far forward. I did the movement in front of my face but as said not something I'm used to with a barbell so guessing I'll probably get used to it and improve quickly. That said - any concerns with the seated variety of this exercise?

Calf Raise - I settled on 200lbs x 15 reps. I didn't use a barbell here. We have a standing machine in the gym. If I'm really holding myself back by not using the barbell here I can but I feel sort of guilty taking up a rack for calf raises....

Curl - if anyone cares 75lbs
    Bench start at 145-150lbs, worse case you can bump 15-25% if test day is real easy.

95 OHP is EXCELLENT. Most only do 45-55, and end the program with 65-75. As long as its 60% or higher of your bench, im happy.

Row start light, you dont want to start to cheat, get tired, you will get tennis elbow. Make sure your wrists are straight. The tennis elbow folk have weak backs, and will wrist curl the weight up when the back gets tired, which causes the tennis elbow.

The curl is the wild card, i would not do normal curl in your case. I would do upright row, or hammer grip curl, just to prevent the tennis elbow.

Finally if your gym has it, i would like to see you doing hex bar / trap bar rows, again just to prevent the eblow flair ups.

Chewbacka91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How to adapt this routine to my CUT? I have been doing this routine for a while but it is progressive load which is not compatible with cutting.. for example yesterday I couldnt complete the 11 reps, so what about Next week? 10 reps? And when I reach 8 and cant do 8 anymore do i lower weights 10% and so on?
    Thanks!

Bench start at 145-150lbs, worse case you can bump 15-25% if test day is real easy.

95 OHP is EXCELLENT. Most only do 45-55, and end the program with 65-75. As long as its 60% or higher of your bench, im happy.

Row start light, you dont want to start to cheat, get tired, you will get tennis elbow. Make sure your wrists are straight. The tennis elbow folk have weak backs, and will wrist curl the weight up when the back gets tired, which causes the tennis elbow.

The curl is the wild card, i would not do normal curl in your case. I would do upright row, or hammer grip curl, just to prevent the tennis elbow.

Finally if your gym has it, i would like to see you doing hex bar / trap bar rows, again just to prevent the eblow flair ups.
    I was using an EZ curl bar. I've been rehabbing it for a while and it's quite improved but not 100%. Nix it entirely for upright row or just let pain be the guide?

I'm also curious - I looked at a few videos on rowing that left me confused. The stronglifts example shows the guy with his body totally parallel with the floor and each rep setting weight back down on the floor. The BB.com video showed entirely different form. We do have a hex bar. I should be rowing with that instead (which I'm sure is different form all together).

Thank you in advance. Unbelievable dedication and willingness to help others. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Chewbacka91 View Post
    How to adapt this routine to my CUT? I have been doing this routine for a while but it is progressive load which is not compatible with cutting.. for example yesterday I couldnt complete the 11 reps, so what about Next week? 10 reps? And when I reach 8 and cant do 8 anymore do i lower weights 10% and so on?
    Thanks!
    Mild cut you will pass every other test day, so 5% progression rate, aka half of a normal person.

On a deep cut the goal is to not miss reps on ten rep week, else you are under eating too much, which will lead to muscle loss long term.

But allpro does not get altered on a cut, you just end up failing more test days.

I was using an EZ curl bar. I've been rehabbing it for a while and it's quite improved but not 100%. Nix it entirely for upright row or just let pain be the guide?

I'm also curious - I looked at a few videos on rowing that left me confused. The stronglifts example shows the guy with his body totally parallel with the floor and each rep setting weight back down on the floor. The BB.com video showed entirely different form. We do have a hex bar. I should be rowing with that instead (which I'm sure is different form all together).

Thank you in advance. Unbelievable dedication and willingness to help others. Much appreciated.
    EZ can work too. "any" curl or bicep heavy movement that doesnt encourage wrist curling when bad form sets in.

We use the "bent over row", strong lifts use the pendlay row. So our row never hits the ground between reps, you bend over 45-60 degrees (not parallel to the floor), and you bend over to tune so that the bar his your chest within 2-3" of the spot where the bench press hits your chest. So the 2 extremes of the row is the parallel to floor varaint, and the "weight just glides up the quads" variant, we are in the middle.

Mild cut you will pass every other test day, so 5% progression rate, aka half of a normal person.

On a deep cut the goal is to not miss reps on ten rep week, else you are under eating too much, which will lead to muscle loss long term.

But allpro does not get altered on a cut, you just end up failing more test days.

Thanks for the super fast answer!

I still don't quite understand tho.. so on a mild cut(1 kg per month? I currently weight 86 kg) I will fail 1 cycle and then complete the next cycle successfully, and so on, and when I complete a cycle I will increment only 5% and still be able to keep going?
    On a deep cut(2-2.5 kg per month, I currently weight 86 kg) I won't be completing any cycles successfully, the objective here is to be able to complete the 10 reps week on every cycle, so for example next week I will do 12 reps and obviously fail because I already failed the 11 reps badly, and then I will restart the same cycle and on the 10 reps week hopefully be able to complete all the excercises fine, otherwise it means I am cutting too fast and losing muscle, is that right?

I was skeptic of doing the 8 and 9 reps weeks because that is like resting, and my mindset is to load always to the limit while cutting or otherwise I will lose muscle, because I am not really using them that much, but I guess that's also bad because I am exhausting myself all the time.

EZ can work too. "any" curl or bicep heavy movement that doesnt encourage wrist curling when bad form sets in.

We use the "bent over row", strong lifts use the pendlay row. So our row never hits the ground between reps, you bend over 45-60 degrees (not parallel to the floor), and you bend over to tune so that the bar his your chest within 2-3" of the spot where the bench press hits your chest. So the 2 extremes of the row is the parallel to floor varaint, and the "weight just glides up the quads" variant, we are in the middle.
    Thank you for the clarification. Do you recommend switching it up to the trap bar?

Originally Posted by Chewbacka91 View Post
    Thanks for the super fast answer!

I still don't quite understand tho.. so on a mild cut(1 kg per month? I currently weight 86 kg) I will fail 1 cycle and then complete the next cycle successfully, and so on, and when I complete a cycle I will increment only 5% and still be able to keep going?
    On a deep cut(2-2.5 kg per month, I currently weight 86 kg) I won't be completing any cycles successfully, the objective here is to be able to complete the 10 reps week on every cycle, so for example next week I will do 12 reps and obviously fail because I already failed the 11 reps badly, and then I will restart the same cycle and on the 10 reps week hopefully be able to complete all the excercises fine, otherwise it means I am cutting too fast and losing muscle, is that right?

I was skeptic of doing the 8 and 9 reps weeks because that is like resting, and my mindset is to load always to the limit while cutting or otherwise I will lose muscle, because I am not really using them that much, but I guess that's also bad because I am exhausting myself all the time.

If you pass every test day, you will be progressing at, atleast 10% per cycle. But if you fail every other test day, what progression rate would you call that? fail, bump 10%, fail, bump 10%, what is the average? You dont bump 5% ever.

On a deep cut, yes, under eat to the point you can still get in 10 reps on 10 rep week.

Since allpro does not have a deload protocol, you still need to do 8-9 rep weeks, you cant just cruise on 10 reps forever till you get to the weight you like, there as to be some "muscle confusion" for a lack of a better term. Even failing every test day, it still takes 5 weeks before you repeat that exact same workout.

plus you can always just reduce rest time on 8-9 rep weeks to make it harder

Thank you for the clarification. Do you recommend switching it up to the trap bar?
    If you can trap bar row, i would trap bar row. I am notorious for getting tennis eblow, so i have to be very careful. I even palms up row just to avoid it.

If you pass every test day, you will be progressing at, atleast 10% per cycle. But if you fail every other test day, what progression rate would you call that? fail, bump 10%, fail, bump 10%, what is the average? You dont bump 5% ever.

On a deep cut, yes, under eat to the point you can still get in 10 reps on 10 rep week.

Since allpro does not have a deload protocol, you still need to do 8-9 rep weeks, you cant just cruise on 10 reps forever till you get to the weight you like, there as to be some "muscle confusion" for a lack of a better term. Even failing every test day, it still takes 5 weeks before you repeat that exact same workout.

plus you can always just reduce rest time on 8-9 rep weeks to make it harder

All clear now, thanks a lot man!

Why can't I rep this man more than once?! Thanks 100% for your commitment to helping people here.

yea generally its the progression pattern that dictates if its n00b or advanced. If your gym bro gave you zero progression, its not a very good program. Based on the need to lose weight, and the starting weights, allpro should be optimal for you for at least 6 months.
    Thanks a mil nighanole. My current program lacks any progression/deload protocol that's calling for something structured. All Pro looks good and I'm looking forward to start it

mzimm15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Id rather you do 120-125% vs adding another set. Too much volume at that intensity will rob recovery, and if that gets too low you will stall on the core program. This is why im recommending "really heavy and low reps".
    Thanks again Night for your suggestions.

I'm finally making some progress with some of the lifts I was stalling at on the AP program.

I would like to add some additional work for biceps but I have quickly learned the hard way NOT to overload at 125% like I was doing on the other lifts - ouch!

My question is should I do some additional bicep work or just leave it alone? - I'm doing the EZ bar curl and Upright Row but not anything else (the EZ Bar curl would be my only add on assistance at this time).