Closed Thread
Page 5 of 290 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DatYute View Post
    TBH, I'm not sure I really understand how the bulking and cutting thing works. I thought I would gain weight first and then cut the extra fat after to look lean. After that its just maintaining?
    That is exactly how you do it, put on 10lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat, and then cut the fat over a month. You just went waay too fast. You might have put on 10lbs of muscle, but also 20lbs of fat.

A good rule of thumb is gain wieght 3-4x slower that you can loose it. So if you can only loose 1.5lbs a week without feeling like death, you shouldnt be gaining more than about 1/2 a pound a week.
    Last edited by nightanole; 10-18-2015 at 01:06 PM.

DatYute has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DrakHarr View Post
    How in the world your TDEE 3200+ when you started at 133 lbs?
    These were my macros when I calculated them and everyone said it was fine in the thread and recommenced I go over since I was underweight. I'm about 6ft tall.

TEE-3270
    Protein-168
    Fats-129
    Carbs-322

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    A pound of fat is like 3500 cals, a pound of muscle is like 900 cals and 130grams of protein. You gained 30lbs in 20 weeks, that is min 1000 cal surplus. If you are gods gift to n00b lifting, you can gain 18lbs of muscle in 18 months(and odds are 5-7lbs of fat on top of that).

if you are around 6ft tall you will only gain 35lbs of pure muscle in the first 5 years of dedicated lifting, and that is 95% of your lifetime gains. You will gain the most amount of muscle your first year lifting, then half of that the 2nd year, and half of the 2nd year your 3rd year, etc.

All these night and day changes you see, are either teens who are not done growing, or 5-10 year lifters that fell off the wagon and got fat/detraining, and then started again. Contrary to popular belief is very hard to lose muscle. You can deplete your glycogen stores and a few other pieces, but muscles will balloon right back up with a few months of training/nutrition.

I'm not saying I want day and night changes, rather I was just wondering why it turned out like that when I thought I was eating "properly" according to my goals. Everyone says when your bulking just eat a lot. Honestly I've heard so many different things and someone right now is telling me its normal on a bulk and I'm gonna cut in a few months.

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    These were my macros when I calculated them and everyone said it was fine in the thread and recommenced I go over since I was underweight. I'm about 6ft tall.

TEE-3270
    Protein-168
    Fats-129
    Carbs-322

A

I'm not saying I want day and night changes, rather I was just wondering why it turned out like that when I thought I was eating "properly" according to my goals. Everyone says when your bulking just eat a lot. Honestly I've heard so many different things and someone right now is telling me its normal on a bulk and I'm gonna cut in a few months.
    The BMR calculations might be off, but you should have compared the 3200 to a basic BMR calculation. It puts you somewhere around 1700 calories, so even if you were SUPER active, you'd be around 2,550.. and you probably aren't in the *1.5 camp of people to begin with.

The BMR calculations might be off, but you should have compared the 3200 to a basic BMR calculation. It puts you somewhere around 1700 calories, so even if you were SUPER active, you'd be around 2,550.. and you probably aren't in the *1.5 camp of people to begin with.
    Thanks for your help. Also nightanole. With the cut and the added cardio I should be back on track.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eh just take a food log, shave 500 cals off of that, do a cycle, see if you maintain weight. If you maintain weight shave another 500 cals off and cut for 2 cycles. That would be 7-8 cycles and a good allpro stopping point, and you should look good after you shaved off those 10lbs, and as a n00b you might even put on a few more lbs of muscle during the cut.

Eh just take a food log, shave 500 cals off of that, do a cycle, see if you maintain weight. If you maintain weight shave another 500 cals off and cut for 2 cycles. That would be 7-8 cycles and a good allpro stopping point, and you should look good after you shaved off those 10lbs, and as a n00b you might even put on a few more lbs of muscle during the cut.
    Ok. might be hard to get the exact calories but I'll play around with my diet and see. I honestly thought I was not eating enough. Everyone keeps telling me I'm not eating enough O_O

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok. might be hard to get the exact calories but I'll play around with my diet and see. I honestly thought I was not eating enough. Everyone keeps telling me I'm not eating enough O_O
    It's very simple. If you're gaining weight, you're eating enough. If it's mostly fat, you're eating too much (or not lifting heavy enough), but you can still only put on a bit of muscle at a time, unless you're juicing.

munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000)

Warm up routine?

Hi,

Besides All-pro's "built-in" warm up of 2 sets with reduced weights, does anyone have any warm-up routines they recommend?

Up until this point I've been doing a 5 minute stint on the elliptical, followed by some foam-rolling.

Curious as to what others are doing.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by munichveteran View Post
    Hi,

Besides All-pro's "built-in" warm up of 2 sets with reduced weights, does anyone have any warm-up routines they recommend?

Up until this point I've been doing a 5 minute stint on the elliptical, followed by some foam-rolling.

Curious as to what others are doing.

Thanks!
    Burpees if im really stiff.

Janihaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have some questions about this routine.

I am going to start play basketball on tuesdays and wednesdays.

My routine is tue/thur/saturday.

My friend told me that there is some strength training at basketball practice because you need strong arms to shoot the ball.

Im just wondering if i should switch to monday/wed/friday and have basketball at the same day as medium workout, and heavy on monday and basketball's strength on tuesday.

Is it ok to workout at the gym and then go to basketball a few hours later? Even though it's pushups/sit-ups and strength etc? And is basketball considered good cardio? Because i love playing, and im thinking of playing it as a secondary hobby, besides boddybuilding.

I am on my last week on the 2nd cycle, going to have 12 rep tests tomorrow. If im bout to change to monday next week for heavy, do i skip saturdays light for the 2 day off before heavy? I don't like skipping the workouts... Thanks .

Originally Posted by Janihaf View Post
    I have some questions about this routine.

I am going to start play basketball on tuesdays and wednesdays.

My routine is tue/thur/saturday.

My friend told me that there is some strength training at basketball practice because you need strong arms to shoot the ball.

Im just wondering if i should switch to monday/wed/friday and have basketball at the same day as medium workout, and heavy on monday and basketball's strength on tuesday.

Is it ok to workout at the gym and then go to basketball a few hours later? Even though it's pushups/sit-ups and strength etc? And is basketball considered good cardio? Because i love playing, and im thinking of playing it as a secondary hobby, besides boddybuilding.

I am on my last week on the 2nd cycle, going to have 12 rep tests tomorrow. If im bout to change to monday next week for heavy, do i skip saturdays light for the 2 day off before heavy? I don't like skipping the workouts... Thanks .
    You can run any beginner routine and also hold a 12 hour a day warehouse job.

I would not alter anything unless you start to notice performance/nagging injury 2 weeks after the change.

If you really feel the need, look into 2 a day nutrition guidelines for lifters who work out more than once a day. Readers digest version is to just get in "most of" your daily carbs in before or within an hour of your first workout, so you can replenish your glycogen stores over the 4-8 hours before the next workout.

Test day... not good.

I have some theories as to why this is, but here's the situation.

Bench press 120 - pass. I always do this first, because I do everything else at the squat rack. This was my easiest (!).
    Squats - 135 - BARELY pass. I paused during the second set, just for a second or two, I didn't put it down or anything, I felt out of breath. I did finish them.
    Bent over row - 85 - BARELY pass. Different issue - this is always my weakest (relative) lift. I felt slightly ill after this.
    OHP - 75: FAIL. 12, 10. I always have some trouble with this, and I knew my form was not stellar on the 10th rep, so I didn't want to cheat my way to the last two reps (or worse, drop the bar on my skull).
    SLDL : 110 - Pass - this finished the nausea though. After this I had to run and throw up.
    Curls - 65 - Pass. Probably the second easiest exercise.
    Calfs - whatever. Pass, but doesn't matter.

1. The nausea reared its ugly head. This is related at least in part to #2.
    2. I am congested as hell today, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath, that doesn't help at all.
    3. My cardio is holding me back I think. Not me doing it, but the fact that my cardio apparently sucks. These 11 and 12 rep days I feel like my heart wants to give up before my actual muscles. Especially evident on the squat. I was more tired than my legs were. I don't know how much of that is related to the fact that I am just sick today.
    4. My weight went from 184 this cycle to 174. I am in a cut, so I expect low strength gains - frankly, at 2 lbs a week, I know I should be happy I passed anything, and technically got stronger on every lift, even if I didn't pass the test week on OHP.

-----------------------------

So, a few questions for... well. Probably nightanole since he's the Allpro guy now.
    1. Should I either do cardio more days, or perhaps work on getting my heartrate actually into the cardio level (150ish) during it? I know I was having trouble breathing today, but i really think it's holding me back - the nausea is likely to expel acid, because I feel like I'm having respiratory acidosis from not expelling enough carbon dioxide on the high rep, high weight days.

2. Should I do 2 heavies this week, and see if I can pass OHP if I am not so congested on Thursday? I am actually leaning towards no, because I did pass most things.

3. Is my rate of cut okay assuming I continue to at least pass the 10 rep days and most things on test days?

Test day... not good.
    1. Should I either do cardio more days, or perhaps work on getting my heartrate actually into the cardio level (150ish) during it? I know I was having trouble breathing today, but i really think it's holding me back - the nausea is likely to expel acid, because I feel like I'm having respiratory acidosis from not expelling enough carbon dioxide on the high rep, high weight days.

2. Should I do 2 heavies this week, and see if I can pass OHP if I am not so congested on Thursday? I am actually leaning towards no, because I did pass most things.

3. Is my rate of cut okay assuming I continue to at least pass the 10 rep days and most things on test days?
    On a deep cut like yours you should feel happy if you get in 2 sets of 10 on week 3, and ecstatic if you pass anything with arms in it. I feel like a tonne of bricks if i loose 5lbs in a cycle at 150-160lbs.

1) I would stop all cardio, and switch to conditioning work. This includes; burbees for time, prowler pushes, hill climbs. Not wind sprints etc, you want something you can sustain for more than 5min but less than 10min. Your other option is to drop squats entirely and do a cycle of 20 rep breathing squats. You would take your medium day weight, and rep it out till you get a slow rep, breath heavy with the bar on your back for 10-15 sec, squeeze out a few more reps, repeat till you get 20 reps. it might take you 3-4min to do this, but you would only be doing 1 set a workout.

2) 1-1.5% of bw per week till 18%, then id start cutting down to .75-.5% else your performance will suck. You are at your limit right now based on test day.

Janihaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can run any beginner routine and also hold a 12 hour a day warehouse job.

I would not alter anything unless you start to notice performance/nagging injury 2 weeks after the change.

If you really feel the need, look into 2 a day nutrition guidelines for lifters who work out more than once a day. Readers digest version is to just get in "most of" your daily carbs in before or within an hour of your first workout, so you can replenish your glycogen stores over the 4-8 hours before the next workout.
    I'll keep everything as it is, and if i feel like i loose performance in the 3rd cycle week 2 ill change the days probably.

By the way, do i really need to do the 2 a day nutrition? basketball is at the most only 2 hours after my workout, so im just running home to grab a banana, some slices of bread with tuna on and some milk.

And when i get home from basketball i have dinner before i go to bed.

I might feel tired playing bball on tuesday after my heavy workouts, but i don't think i will in the early stages of the cycle, since then it's mostly easy. I don't care about being tired, i just don't want my muscles to break down more than building, you know?

On a deep cut like yours you should feel happy if you get in 2 sets of 10 on week 3, and ecstatic if you pass anything with arms in it. I feel like a tonne of bricks if i loose 5lbs in a cycle at 150-160lbs.

1) I would stop all cardio, and switch to conditioning work. This includes; burbees for time, prowler pushes, hill climbs. Not wind sprints etc, you want something you can sustain for more than 5min but less than 10min. Your other option is to drop squats entirely and do a cycle of 20 rep breathing squats. You would take your medium day weight, and rep it out till you get a slow rep, breath heavy with the bar on your back for 10-15 sec, squeeze out a few more reps, repeat till you get 20 reps. it might take you 3-4min to do this, but you would only be doing 1 set a workout.

2) 1-1.5% of bw per week till 18%, then id start cutting down to .75-.5% else your performance will suck. You are at your limit right now based on test day.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Like I said, part of what doesn't help is the body fat test I got, which put me at 25... but I have no visible stomach (or a very minor one if I just ate) so based on the eyeball test, I don't think it was right.

And certainly, I didn't plan on cutting any deeper!

Thanks for the quick reply. Like I said, part of what doesn't help is the body fat test I got, which put me at 25... but I have no visible stomach (or a very minor one if I just ate) so based on the eyeball test, I don't think it was right.

And certainly, I didn't plan on cutting any deeper!
    Some people can have veiny abs and love handles. Some people can have no abs and have muscle striations on arms and legs. Others can have abs at 18% because they carry ALOT of fat on back and shoulders. I can have no abs yet have veiny arms, most require sub 10% to get veiny arms.

boconnor811 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As I look to redetermine my starting weights for the next cycle, I couldn't help but wonder is there a ratio of what the weights should be from one exercise to another, or compared to bodyweight?

Reading things such as squats should be 1.5x weight of bench, and maxing out the beginner routine at 1x bodyweight bench and 1.5x bodyweight for squats. What about the other exercises?

Originally Posted by boconnor811 View Post
    As I look to redetermine my starting weights for the next cycle, I couldn't help but wonder is there a ratio of what the weights should be from one exercise to another, or compared to bodyweight?

Reading things such as squats should be 1.5x weight of bench, and maxing out the beginner routine at 1x bodyweight bench and 1.5x bodyweight for squats. What about the other exercises?
    Those are end goals, not beginning goals. Your starting weights are whatever you personally can do. Hopefully it evens out in the end of the beginner phase. For example, my bench I just passed is 120, and my row is only 85. But I'm not going to lower to bench or not up it just because my row is lagging! I'll do 130 bench and 95 row just like I should. My squat at 135 was harder for me than my 120 bench, but i'm not going to bump squat higher just to keep it looking proportional (I did bump squat more last time, but that's because when squat was 110 it was an EASY pass, this 135 was not easy).

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I ran this routine before but had to stop, starting again soon. I have a question about overhead press because I struggled with it before:

Is there some kind of correlation between the weight of my bench press and overhead press? When I was on this routine, I was benching 32.5kg on heavy days but only able to overhead press the bar. Do you think that's an issue of form or just a lift I struggle with? It was the only lift I was really struggling with, along with curls (I could only curl 20kg).

I was on a 1000 calorie deficit at the time, which I felt really hindered my strength and energy, so I will be running this again without such a drastic deficit so I don't impede my progress.

Originally Posted by WFKA View Post
    I ran this routine before but had to stop, starting again soon. I have a question about overhead press because I struggled with it before:

Is there some kind of correlation between the weight of my bench press and overhead press? When I was on this routine, I was benching 32.5kg on heavy days but only able to overhead press the bar. Do you think that's an issue of form or just a lift I struggle with? It was the only lift I was really struggling with, along with curls (I could only curl 20kg).

I was on a 1000 calorie deficit at the time, which I felt really hindered my strength and energy, so I will be running this again without such a drastic deficit so I don't impede my progress.
    I'm in America, but, what is the bar over there? Is it about 20kg? Ours are 45 lbs, which is ROUGHLY 20 kg. You're benching about double what you are OHP (assuming I'm right in guessing a 20kg bar), this is not where you want to END, but again... that's end. 65-75% ohp vs bench I believe is where you want to end. But that takes time, and don't suprised if your bench shoots up before your OHP (I've only been doing this 2 cycles, but I'm having an easier time with bench improving vs OHP, and it seems a common theme). Incidentally, I'm losing 2 lbs a week doing this right now, which works out to 1000 calorie deficit a day. It is doable, but test day (11-12 rep weeks in general) is real brutal. I feel nauseous both heavy and medium 11-12 rep, and vomitted on test day today. (still managed to pass 6/7 lifts... screw OHP )

Edit: I'm lifting heavier but it seems like you are curling what you're OHPing... I just failed 75 lb (34kg) OHP and passed 65 lb (about 30 kg) curls... so I'll be right there with you in that camp, too, proportions wise. In other words, don't worry too much. I'm a bit imbalanced and we seem to have similar proportions.

Originally Posted by boconnor811 View Post

On this program, by the time the program gets too fast; bw bench for 10 and 1.5x bw squat for 10. Most dont hit the squat goal, but most are working above bw by the end.

As for being well rounded:
    Squat should be the highest
    OHP should be 60% or higher of your bench
    Row should be around your bench (+-20%)
    SLDL should be less than your squat, if its higher double check your form
    Calf raise anything goes since its cosmetic, The golden ratio for body building is having the neck/forearm/calf the same diameter
    Curls anything goes, but it would be nice if you can get in a couple of chinups

DJmn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Starting cycle 3 today. I've unintentionally gained about 8 lbs over the first two cycles, despite eating at about 1800k per day with 2-3 hours of cardio per week, which should lose me a half pound a week. I have tracked my cals for a year in mfp, so this change is somewhat befuddling. Eating 125-160g of protein per day, fat and carbs fall where they fall. Currently at 167lbs. If this oddness continues, I'll have a thyroid panel done.

Squat: 185. Passed ok last cycle, had to take a 10-15 second break (with bar on shoulders) every 4-6 reps. Is that normal? I get light headed on high rep squat sets, must not be breathing well / holding my breath.
    Bench: 170. I barely passed last cycle and expect this cycle to be difficult as I'll be at that BW x 10 threshold, might need to switch to 3 set, lower rep soon.
    BO Row: 125. Passed last cycle, but it was not easy. Really lagging here, if Row is supposed to equal bench...
    OH Press: 75. Failed last cycle, I have some shoulder issues, REALLY lagging here, should be at 110 based on my bench. I have always sucked on these. OHP Loser.
    SLD: 160. Passed no problem on these, but still just taking the 10% bump because I'm concerned about form.
    Curl: 80. Going from 70 to 80, I am expecting a tough cycle here.

Doing this program with my wife, we've enjoyed working together, and it has been rewarding to see her get interested in free weights. It's been good for both us.

Originally Posted by DJmn View Post
    Starting cycle 3 today. I've unintentionally gained about 8 lbs over the first two cycles, despite eating at about 1800k per day with 2-3 hours of cardio per week, which should lose me a half pound a week. I have tracked my cals for a year in mfp, so this change is somewhat befuddling. Eating 125-160g of protein per day, fat and carbs fall where they fall. Currently at 167lbs. If this oddness continues, I'll have a thyroid panel done.

Squat: 185. Passed ok last cycle, had to take a 10-15 second break (with bar on shoulders) every 4-6 reps. Is that normal? I get light headed on high rep squat sets, must not be breathing well / holding my breath.
    Bench: 170. I barely passed last cycle and expect this cycle to be difficult as I'll be at that BW x 10 threshold, might need to switch to 3 set, lower rep soon.
    BO Row: 125. Passed last cycle, but it was not easy. Really lagging here, if Row is supposed to equal bench...
    OH Press: 75. Failed last cycle, I have some shoulder issues, REALLY lagging here, should be at 110 based on my bench. I have always sucked on these. OHP Loser.
    SLD: 160. Passed no problem on these, but still just taking the 10% bump because I'm concerned about form.
    Curl: 80. Going from 70 to 80, I am expecting a tough cycle here.

Doing this program with my wife, we've enjoyed working together, and it has been rewarding to see her get interested in free weights. It's been good for both us.
    I had to take a break during squats too, with the bar on my shoulders, but I think it's because, as I alluded to, I was congested and not breathing well today. Congrats on the numbers, they're a damn bit better than mine... but I'm a fatty trying to lose weight >_>

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm in America, but, what is the bar over there? Is it about 20kg? Ours are 45 lbs, which is ROUGHLY 20 kg. You're benching about double what you are OHP (assuming I'm right in guessing a 20kg bar), this is not where you want to END, but again... that's end. 65-75% ohp vs bench I believe is where you want to end. But that takes time, and don't suprised if your bench shoots up before your OHP (I've only been doing this 2 cycles, but I'm having an easier time with bench improving vs OHP, and it seems a common theme). Incidentally, I'm losing 2 lbs a week doing this right now, which works out to 1000 calorie deficit a day. It is doable, but test day (11-12 rep weeks in general) is real brutal. I feel nauseous both heavy and medium 11-12 rep, and vomitted on test day today. (still managed to pass 6/7 lifts... screw OHP )

Edit: I'm lifting heavier but it seems like you are curling what you're OHPing... I just failed 75 lb (34kg) OHP and passed 65 lb (about 30 kg) curls... so I'll be right there with you in that camp, too, proportions wise. In other words, don't worry too much. I'm a bit imbalanced and we seem to have similar proportions.
    The bar is the same. Just a standard Olympic bar, so 20kg (or 45lbs).

Yeah, I Googled it while waiting for a reply and it seems like a lot of people struggle with OHP to begin with. I'm not too bothered about where I start, as I know everyone starts at a different stage. My squat was 35kg, my SLDL was 45kg and my calf raises were 52.5kg. Perhaps being overweight for so long has made my lower half stronger .

I was only running the routine for a few cycles, so I know I wasn't anywhere near where I wanted to be. I just couldn't increase the weight I was using for curls or OHP, at all. I wouldn't want to diet down on a deficit of 1000 calories again, it felt horrible. I think I'll take the slow route this time, there's no hurry.

I was more focused on getting my form correct as well, rather than trying to push an insane amount of weight and hurting myself.

Do you think it would be better to use DBs instead of a BB for OHP and curls? I was struggling to hit the required reps, even before the final week with a 20kg bar.

OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000)
    1) Should my elbows be moving at all during curls?

2) Next workout I'll be bumping my SLDL to 199. I'm a bit worried that my grip will fail me. Does anyone have any idea if grinding up blackboard chalk (calcium sulfate) would work like weightlifting chalk (magnesium carbonate)?

enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just started Week 3 of my first cycle today and idk what to think. Nutrition is on track, atm im eating around 3100 calories a day (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat), 6 meals a day etc.... however im still having trouble on some lifts. Idk if its because I didnt get enough sleep last night or I partied too hard on friday and saturday night or im not resting long enough between sets or what

Problem areas:

-On my bench press I'm able to complete the first 3 sets but im normally only able to knock out 4 reps on set 4 before failure.
    - On my bent over rows its the same, though today i failed halfway through my third set and it made me rage i was so fukin upset
    - Standing military press is alright though i struggled a bit today with 2 sets of 60lbsx10
    - Im using 2 25lb plates on the seated calf raise machine. Idk if this is enough weight.
    Starting Weight: 148lbs
    Texas Crew
    Self-Improvement Crew
    ************Misc Vigilante Crew - Social Network Justice Division (EST. AUG 2013)***********
    3x110x12 Bench
    3x200x12 Squat

Originally Posted by WFKA View Post
    The bar is the same. Just a standard Olympic bar, so 20kg (or 45lbs).

Yeah, I Googled it while waiting for a reply and it seems like a lot of people struggle with OHP to begin with. I'm not too bothered about where I start, as I know everyone starts at a different stage. My squat was 35kg, my SLDL was 45kg and my calf raises were 52.5kg. Perhaps being overweight for so long has made my lower half stronger .

I was only running the routine for a few cycles, so I know I wasn't anywhere near where I wanted to be. I just couldn't increase the weight I was using for curls or OHP, at all. I wouldn't want to diet down on a deficit of 1000 calories again, it felt horrible. I think I'll take the slow route this time, there's no hurry.

I was more focused on getting my form correct as well, rather than trying to push an insane amount of weight and hurting myself.

Do you think it would be better to use DBs instead of a BB for OHP and curls? I was struggling to hit the required reps, even before the final week with a 20kg bar.
    For medium and light days youll basically have to, if you're just using the bar on heavy days. Not to mention warm ups will probably need to be dumbells as well. So you maybe could use dumbells on the first few cycles all around if you like, but if you can use the barbell it won't hurt anything either.

And it does feel pretty crummy some days, I admit, and some days I don't even feel hungry on the deficit. I make sure to get in a few more calories on workout days, since otherwise I'd be even below 1000 fewer a day, and then I'd really be messed up.

I'd recommend you take this week to figure out your 10 rep maxes, currently. It's likely a bit below where you stopped last time, but for some exercises that were already a bit low, it might not be. It's probably higher than where you started last time, at the same time, so figuring out your 10 rep maxes this week is probably a good bet. Then start it up next Monday (or whatever day you want to start cycles on!).

And yeah, I hear ya about the lower body thing, I've been overweight a while so I'm surprised my upper body seems to be stronger (proportionally) than my lower. I hope that fixes itself.

Originally Posted by enr33 View Post
    I just started Week 3 of my first cycle today and idk what to think. Nutrition is on track, atm im eating around 3100 calories a day (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat), 6 meals a day etc.... however im still having trouble on some lifts. Idk if its because I didnt get enough sleep last night or I partied too hard on friday and saturday night or im not resting long enough between sets or what

Problem areas:

-On my bench press I'm able to complete the first 3 sets but im normally only able to knock out 4 reps on set 4 before failure.
    - On my bent over rows its the same, though today i failed halfway through my third set and it made me rage i was so fukin upset
    - Standing military press is alright though i struggled a bit today with 2 sets of 60lbsx10
    - Im using 2 25lb plates on the seated calf raise machine. Idk if this is enough weight.
    1. You are using 25% for the first set, and 50% for the second set on the exercises, right? it's a common mistake to do too much of the full load. Every exercise only has 2 working sets. If the bar is more than 50% of what you're lifting, you may want to dial the reps back a bit during the warmup.

2. Same thing - make sure you're warming up with only 25% and 50%. So if your row is 90 lbs, let's say, and you're on 10 rep day, you could do 1 set of the bar at 5 reps, 1 set of the bar at 10 reps, then your 2 sets of 90.

3. OHP is tough, not gonna lie. But if you're doing 4 work sets of bench press, your muscles might just be tired.

4. If it was too light, no problem, you'll just keep progressing until it ends up being enough. It's an extra exercise anyhow.

5. Partying (if that means alcohol) and not getting sleep will definitely impact muscle gains. Drinking sometimes won't do much, but if you drink enough that it messes with your calories, or worse, enough that it impacts your sleep cycle, it will.

Originally Posted by alphaphorce View Post
    I really only stick to compound lifts mainly deadlifts, bench & squat:
    * 5x5 for strength
    * 10-12 for hypertrophy
    alphaphorce.tk
    ? Ok...

For medium and light days youll basically have to, if you're just using the bar on heavy days. Not to mention warm ups will probably need to be dumbells as well. So you maybe could use dumbells on the first few cycles all around if you like, but if you can use the barbell it won't hurt anything either.

And it does feel pretty crummy some days, I admit, and some days I don't even feel hungry on the deficit. I make sure to get in a few more calories on workout days, since otherwise I'd be even below 1000 fewer a day, and then I'd really be messed up.

I'd recommend you take this week to figure out your 10 rep maxes, currently. It's likely a bit below where you stopped last time, but for some exercises that were already a bit low, it might not be. It's probably higher than where you started last time, at the same time, so figuring out your 10 rep maxes this week is probably a good bet. Then start it up next Monday (or whatever day you want to start cycles on!).

And yeah, I hear ya about the lower body thing, I've been overweight a while so I'm surprised my upper body seems to be stronger (proportionally) than my lower. I hope that fixes itself.
    I'm pretty sure I asked that exact same question before and the advice given to me was just to OHP and curl the 20kg bar on all days. Or maybe that was me who decided that when I was 16/17. I don't think it makes much sense to OHP and curl the 20kg bar on all days when I'm already really struggling. That was probably part of the reason why I was having trouble. Thankfully my 16/17 year old self kept a workout journal so I can fix any mistakes I might have made! I'll probably switch it up when I start going and use DBs if I still can't OHP or curl the bar.

I was doing the mandatory warm ups, but I wasn't doing any warm ups for OHP and curls. I had no trouble doing the three exercises that have mandatory warm ups with the bar though, and honestly it just made it a lot easier than having to use DBs and then go back to the BB and then back to the DBs.

I'm writing up a word document at the moment with all the nutrition info and this routine. I pretty much know everything I learnt before and more. Now I gotta buy stuff for the gym, get a membership and then I'll test out my 10 rep maxes again. I just wanted to get my knowledge back up to scratch before I even bother going.

Closed Thread