Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Reply
Page 3 of 147 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 4398
  1. #61
    Registered User WrathfulOne's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Greater London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 491
    Rep Power: 2326
    WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000)
    WrathfulOne is offline
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    on spread, good work keeping this going friend! part 6! dedication. helping the masses!
    Still don't get why he has such low rep. Man has single-handedly been carrying the AllPro torch and preaching his swoly teachings.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #62
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by WrathfulOne View Post
    Still don't get why he has such low rep. Man has single-handedly been carrying the AllPro torch and preaching his swoly teachings.
    Do you know how long it takes to get to L33T rep power by helping people with 50 posts or less rep power? The biggest complaint is they can only rep me once before they have to rep someone else because they need to spread the wealth. I only had 2 big reppers or my power would be 150 or less
    Reply With Quote

  3. #63
    Registered User munichveteran's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2014
    Age: 37
    Posts: 317
    Rep Power: 1184
    munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000)
    munichveteran is offline
    Hi guys,

    OK…after a couple of weeks of experimenting in the gym, trying to figure out what I can and can’t do safely, I think I’ve landed on the routine below. Can you please critique and confirm that subs are acceptable?

    I can elaborate on reasons for subs if necessary, but I got negative repped a few times for asking questions about my injuries, so I should probably avoid specifics. High-level details…I have a couple of herniated discs in my lumbar, and cam impingement/labral tear in my right hip. I have seen a doctor. and the general advice is for me to live a sedentary life. I’ve been sedentary for years, and being told that’s what I should do makes me want to hit the gym even harder.

    Please let me know your thoughts.

    Landmine squats
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Low Cable Row (with shoulder width grip)
    Standing DB Overhead Press
    Seated leg curl machine
    Assisted chin ups (neutral grip)
    Calf Raise
    Roman Chair Hyperextensions (lower back accessory)
    High knee Farmer’s Walk
    Reply With Quote

  4. #64
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by munichveteran View Post
    Hi guys,

    OK…after a couple of weeks of experimenting in the gym, trying to figure out what I can and can’t do safely, I think I’ve landed on the routine below. Can you please critique and confirm that subs are acceptable?

    I can elaborate on reasons for subs if necessary, but I got negative repped a few times for asking questions about my injuries, so I should probably avoid specifics. High-level details…I have a couple of herniated discs in my lumbar, and cam impingement/labral tear in my right hip. I have seen a doctor. and the general advice is for me to live a sedentary life. I’ve been sedentary for years, and being told that’s what I should do makes me want to hit the gym even harder.

    Please let me know your thoughts.

    Landmine squats
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Low Cable Row (with shoulder width grip)
    Standing DB Overhead Press
    Seated leg curl machine
    Assisted chin ups (neutral grip)
    Calf Raise
    Roman Chair Hyperextensions (lower back accessory)
    High knee Farmer’s Walk
    That looks dam near perfect to me. However i do not like "attached" squats. Is is possible for you to free weight squat, maybe goblet/front/zercher to keep the back more vertical and make it a more quad dominant lift? i say this because when you run squats with the weight attached to something, its real easy to get binding and or start practicing bad for (pushing forward etc).
    Reply With Quote

  5. #65
    Registered User munichveteran's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2014
    Age: 37
    Posts: 317
    Rep Power: 1184
    munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000)
    munichveteran is offline
    Excellent. Thanks! Feels good to finally have a routine I can approach with confidence, and possibly even enjoy! I may start a log if anyone's interested.

    I'd love to progress to goblet squats. That's a goal for a couple of cycles down the line. I tried them a while back and the butt wink is my issue...I can't get below parallel without losing shape. I know exactly what you mean about pushing forward with the landline squat, and now that you mention it, I probably do that. I'll make an effort to ascend as vertically as possible and squeeze the quads.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #66
    Registered User Mythenthefang's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 1,331
    Rep Power: 976
    Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mythenthefang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Mythenthefang is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    1.2, and the calc will be wrong and say you need to eat like a horse.

    Baseline is 100 grams of fats/protein and 200-300 grams of carbs, that puts you a hair over 2000 calories.

    On the program you should start it on a cut to get to 13-15% (aka tensed abs) and then decide to bulk and try to hit 15% bumps, maintain and hit 10% bumps and recomp, or continue cutting to get to relaxed abs and eat just enough carbs that you hit 2 sets of 10 each cycle.

    If you dont adjust your eating habits, and were maintaining weight and not working out before starting the program, you will drop about a half pound a week after starting the program.
    Thank you, that's a great concrete goal. I started the programme in a "sort of trained" state meaning i've been exercising reasonably regularly (3 - 4 times a week) for past 2 months and eating probably over maintenance (wasn't tracking it properly).

    The one good thing about starting from this state is that my form is pretty good on all the exercises and I have the beginnings of a mind-muscle connection, particularly my back muscles which i've read can be problematic to develop.

    Using the Mifflin-St Jeor calculation I got roughly 1900 as bmr and about 2300 as TEE, looks like i'll have to forego the muesli bar at lunch and carbs at dinner.

    You know you're awesome for continuing to respond to this thread right?
    Last edited by Mythenthefang; 10-12-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #67
    Registered User boconnor811's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Age: 36
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    boconnor811 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    boconnor811 is offline
    So after a pretty long strength training hiatus, I decided to get back to weights. I tried to start this routine from memory, which clearly isn't the best as I was doing it wrong for 5 cycles! I was doing one 50% warmup set, and 3 work sets.

    I guess I'll just redetermine 10 rep max and fix my approach. Any additional considerations? I just don't want to reduce the weekly volume too much, and fear I wont be able to up the weights to the level required to keep it the same with 2 vs 3 work sets.

    For reference I'm 6' / 190# and weight is pretty stable, but feel my waist and BF is still decreasing. I was able to 71% of body weight for the 3 work sets w/12 reps, and just over 80% for squats.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #68
    Registered User Destor's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Age: 32
    Posts: 4,302
    Rep Power: 4819
    Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Destor is offline
    Destroyed my 100% 12-rep workout after feeling like I took a step back last week. Now to make it through the rest of the week and bump everything up by 10%.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #69
    Registered User Marwan4449's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2015
    Age: 25
    Posts: 268
    Rep Power: 38
    Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marwan4449 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Marwan4449 is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Im going to try to decipher this "forum english"

    SLDL - Sounds like you are trying to pinch your shoulder blades together like in the bench/squat, this is incorrect, you should be "locking them down to your sides" with your lats. Pinching shoulder blades in a dead is gonna cause a strain at some point.

    OHP- Depending on your equipment either- switch to dumb bells and do the arnold press, or (and this is a big or) switch to sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest till you complete thats weeks rep goal.

    Warmups- do 1 sets with just a pvc pipe/broom handle as a ROM warmup, then do the bar if its around 50% of your working weight. Else do as you did and use the bar for the first warmup, If the bar is 65-75% of you working weight then do both warmups with half the amount of reps for the week. Once you start getting into the 75% range you only need a few reps to prime your CNS.

    Start light and just bump the weights 15-20% at the end of the cycle if test day seems real easy.
    Thanks alot man and sorry English isnt my first language
    Today was my medium day and did 10 % less as the program said everything was great even the stiff legged deadlift you were right I was trying to pinch my shoulder plades
    Did the OHP and maneged to complete the 2 sets hardly (18kg bar waight) I thought I was able to do them because I got a bit stronger
    But when I think about it maybe because I went lighter on the other exercises I had more energy left for OHP I guess I will switch to Arnold presses till I get stronger enough to do the The barbell
    and I was thinking of doing asseted chin ups where I put a chair and start from up and lower myself slowly I have seen that in some videos to help me do full chin ups later. I know they target the biceps and since I replaced the barbell curl with upright row I thought I will try it
    What do you think
    Reply With Quote

  10. #70
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by Marwan4449 View Post
    Thanks alot man and sorry English isnt my first language
    Today was my medium day and did 10 % less as the program said everything was great even the stiff legged deadlift you were right I was trying to pinch my shoulder plades
    Did the OHP and maneged to complete the 2 sets hardly (18kg bar waight) I thought I was able to do them because I got a bit stronger
    But when I think about it maybe because I went lighter on the other exercises I had more energy left for OHP I guess I will switch to Arnold presses till I get stronger enough to do the The barbell
    and I was thinking of doing asseted chin ups where I put a chair and start from up and lower myself slowly I have seen that in some videos to help me do full chin ups later. I know they target the biceps and since I replaced the barbell curl with upright row I thought I will try it
    What do you think
    I would not start adding exercise till after your 2nd test day. You may find you dont need chin ups and rows/deads are enough. Hell you might find out you need another push, not another pull.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #71
    Registered User WrathfulOne's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2014
    Location: Greater London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 491
    Rep Power: 2326
    WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000) WrathfulOne is just really nice. (+1000)
    WrathfulOne is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Do you know how long it takes to get to L33T rep power by helping people with 50 posts or less rep power? The biggest complaint is they can only rep me once before they have to rep someone else because they need to spread the wealth. I only had 2 big reppers or my power would be 150 or less
    Hehe, I actually have no idea how the rep thing works around here, every time I try and rep someone it says I have to spread it around more. Trouble is most posts are garbage lol

    Mostly I just check out a thread if you/Davis/SuffolkPunch/IronwWill/Jason2k post in it.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #72
    Registered User HFABamaFan's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Age: 32
    Posts: 37
    Rep Power: 0
    HFABamaFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HFABamaFan is offline
    I believe I tweaked my knee somehow, and feel that I should lay off of it for the week. Should I do any lifting, or just let it heal.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #73
    Registered User ultimaforsan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Age: 31
    Posts: 33
    Rep Power: 0
    ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ultimaforsan is offline
    I successfully passed my 2nd cycle! Woohoo!!!

    I increased my weight by a little bit more than I should I think. Last sunday was my first day of 3rd cycle and I went like this:

    2nd cyle to 3rd cycle
    Squat:100->135lbs
    Bench:100->135lbs
    ROWS:90->115lbs
    OHP: 65->80lbs
    SLDL: 135->155lbs
    Curls: 65->75lbs
    CR: 165->195lbs

    I was able to finish all reps but it was very tough. I'm pretty sure I will fail somwhere in the next weeks. Should I reconsider the weights I choosed or stick with them?

    Today I'm supposed to do the medium day but yesterday I did a hike of 4 hours and my legs hurt as ****. Should I go to the gym and do all the exercices?

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  14. #74
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by HFABamaFan View Post
    I believe I tweaked my knee somehow, and feel that I should lay off of it for the week. Should I do any lifting, or just let it heal.
    "Bill Starr Rehab for Muscle Pulls"

    So its squats for sets of 25 starting with the bar, and adding 5lbs till it starts to hurt.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #75
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by ultimaforsan View Post
    I successfully passed my 2nd cycle! Woohoo!!!

    I increased my weight by a little bit more than I should I think. Last sunday was my first day of 3rd cycle and I went like this:

    2nd cyle to 3rd cycle
    Squat:100->135lbs
    Bench:100->135lbs
    ROWS:90->115lbs
    OHP: 65->80lbs
    SLDL: 135->155lbs
    Curls: 65->75lbs
    CR: 165->195lbs

    I was able to finish all reps but it was very tough. I'm pretty sure I will fail somwhere in the next weeks. Should I reconsider the weights I choosed or stick with them?

    Today I'm supposed to do the medium day but yesterday I did a hike of 4 hours and my legs hurt as ****. Should I go to the gym and do all the exercices?

    Thanks!
    Uhh day 1 of a cycle should have 2-3 reps in the tank. If you could only do 2 sets of 8 without dying you might want to rethink your weights. A good test is if you can do the new weight for a single set 10 times. You might even want to do that on this weeks light day just to make sure you are not working too close to failure.

    If you are going to skip medium, would at least do the warmups just for frequency, then do light day as normal.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #76
    Registered User Destor's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Age: 32
    Posts: 4,302
    Rep Power: 4819
    Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Destor is offline
    100-135 is a big jump. My plan is 115 -130 for bench next cycle and even that's above the 10% increase rule, wouldn't even try 135.



    It seems slow but you have to look at it long term. At a 10% increase every 5 weeks you'd theoretically be benching over 200 for 12 reps in less than a year if you completed every cycle.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #77
    Registered User ultimaforsan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Age: 31
    Posts: 33
    Rep Power: 0
    ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ultimaforsan is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Uhh day 1 of a cycle should have 2-3 reps in the tank. If you could only do 2 sets of 8 without dying you might want to rethink your weights. A good test is if you can do the new weight for a single set 10 times. You might even want to do that on this weeks light day just to make sure you are not working too close to failure.

    If you are going to skip medium, would at least do the warmups just for frequency, then do light day as normal.
    What do you mean by reps in the tank? I'm not speaking english so I don't understand the meaning. For sure I could do a single set of 10 times with 135lbs on the bench and squats. I'm just not sure if I will be able to handle two sets of 12 on week 5.

    You say that if I could only do 2 sets of 8 without dying I should rethink my weights but I thought I was supposed to do two sets of 8(+2 warmup sets).
    Reply With Quote

  18. #78
    Registered User ultimaforsan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Age: 31
    Posts: 33
    Rep Power: 0
    ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ultimaforsan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ultimaforsan is offline
    Originally Posted by Destor View Post
    100-135 is a big jump. My plan is 115 -130 for bench next cycle and even that's above the 10% increase rule, wouldn't even try 135.



    It seems slow but you have to look at it long term. At a 10% increase every 5 weeks you'd theoretically be benching over 200 for 12 reps in less than a year if you completed every cycle.
    Thanks for the help Destor, I am bulking right now so nightanole suggested a 20% increase at least. So I'm bumping it a little bit.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #79
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by ultimaforsan View Post
    What do you mean by reps in the tank? I'm not speaking english so I don't understand the meaning. For sure I could do a single set of 10 times with 135lbs on the bench and squats. I'm just not sure if I will be able to handle two sets of 12 on week 5.

    You say that if I could only do 2 sets of 8 without dying I should rethink my weights but I thought I was supposed to do two sets of 8(+2 warmup sets).
    Reps in the tank means you could have done 2 sets of 9 or 2 sets of 10, on 8 rep week. You should be getting at least 10% stronger every 5 weeks, so 135lbs for 8 turns into 135lbs for 12.

    week 1 should feel like you could do at least 2 sets of 9 or even 2 sets of 10
    week 2 should feel like you could do at least 2 sets of 10
    week 3 should feel like you could do at least 2 sets of 11
    week 4 should feel like you could do at least 2 sets of 11
    week 5 should feel like you could do 2 sets of 12 when you go all out.

    And yes if you are putting on 1.5-2kg per cycle you better be getting 15-20% bumps out of it, otherwise all that extra food is just adding fat. Ive seen several people "bulk" at the start of allpro and end up just putting on 15lbs of fat after 6 months. They would have been better off not bulking and getting the same results.

    You only bulk if you are well below 18% bf and cant progress fast without the extra food.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #80
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by Destor View Post
    100-135 is a big jump. My plan is 115 -130 for bench next cycle and even that's above the 10% increase rule, wouldn't even try 135.



    It seems slow but you have to look at it long term. At a 10% increase every 5 weeks you'd theoretically be benching over 200 for 12 reps in less than a year if you completed every cycle.
    10% is the min, not the max. Just like 90 seconds rest is the max, not the min. Several people in the last year have gone from 75lb squats to 135lb squats in 3 cycles. Now once you are at cycle 5, even 10% bumps become dam hard, just like your 15lb bumps on bench because you are getting really close to the end of the program. You know how long it took candito to put 15lbs on his 300lb bench? 2 years...
    Reply With Quote

  21. #81
    Registered User polymath69's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Age: 24
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    polymath69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    polymath69 is offline
    Hello,

    I've been following All Pro's for the past couple of months.

    Over this period, I have noticed my lower body catching up with the banging much better than my upper, specifically my chest, possibly due to my background in athletics. Therefore, I have increased sometimes more than 10% for Squats between cycles, whereas my chest sometimes even has trouble handling the 10% increase.

    I'm 5"6 weighing at 65kg. I squat 80kg but bench only 50kg. Does anyone have any recommendations to strengthen my chest?

    Thank you very much!
    Reply With Quote

  22. #82
    Registered User Destor's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Alberta, Canada
    Age: 32
    Posts: 4,302
    Rep Power: 4819
    Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Destor is offline
    Originally Posted by ultimaforsan View Post
    Thanks for the help Destor, I am bulking right now so nightanole suggested a 20% increase at least. So I'm bumping it a little bit.
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    10% is the min, not the max. Just like 90 seconds rest is the max, not the min. Several people in the last year have gone from 75lb squats to 135lb squats in 3 cycles. Now once you are at cycle 5, even 10% bumps become dam hard, just like your 15lb bumps on bench because you are getting really close to the end of the program. You know how long it took candito to put 15lbs on his 300lb bench? 2 years...
    Wow awesome, I didn't know the 10% was a minimum! Gonna have to re-assess my squat increase for sure then.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #83
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by polymath69 View Post
    Hello,

    I've been following All Pro's for the past couple of months.

    Over this period, I have noticed my lower body catching up with the banging much better than my upper, specifically my chest, possibly due to my background in athletics. Therefore, I have increased sometimes more than 10% for Squats between cycles, whereas my chest sometimes even has trouble handling the 10% increase.

    I'm 5"6 weighing at 65kg. I squat 80kg but bench only 50kg. Does anyone have any recommendations to strengthen my chest?

    Thank you very much!
    I got bad news for you, you are on track.

    The program ends around bw for 10 bench and 1.5x bw for 10 squat. I you make it even simpler, your squat should be 150% of your bench

    Since you are on cycle 3ish, your first accessory could be 1 set of decline neutral or close grip bench. That style helps with momentum off the chest and lockout(pecs/triceps). However if its a shoulder weakness that style is horrable, and a better accessory would be the Arnold press. Hell for all you know its the the chest that is the problem, but the other side, so you would need band pull aparts or facepulls.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #84
    Registered User polymath69's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Age: 24
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    polymath69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    polymath69 is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    I got bad news for you, you are on track.

    The program ends around bw for 10 bench and 1.5x bw for 10 squat. I you make it even simpler, your squat should be 150% of your bench

    Since you are on cycle 3ish, your first accessory could be 1 set of decline neutral or close grip bench. That style helps with momentum off the chest and lockout(pecs/triceps). However if its a shoulder weakness that style is horrable, and a better accessory would be the Arnold press. Hell for all you know its the the chest that is the problem, but the other side, so you would need band pull aparts or facepulls.
    I'd say that's good news to hear I'm on track.

    I'm at 50kg for barbell bent over rows and at 18kg dumbbell shoulder press.

    Every week, I have no problems adding that extra 1 rep for all exercises, except for bench presses sometimes...

    From all of the above, would you agree that the weak point is the chest?
    Furthermore, how do I incorporate the extra exercise(s) you have suggested into the routine? For example you suggest me to add close grip into the routine. Do I do it immediately after bench presses and follow the same pattern as the rest of the all pro program?

    Thank you very much, nightanole. Your help is much appreciated!
    Reply With Quote

  25. #85
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by polymath69 View Post
    I'd say that's good news to hear I'm on track.

    I'm at 50kg for barbell bent over rows and at 18kg dumbbell shoulder press.

    Every week, I have no problems adding that extra 1 rep for all exercises, except for bench presses sometimes...

    From all of the above, would you agree that the weak point is the chest?
    Furthermore, how do I incorporate the extra exercise(s) you have suggested into the routine? For example you suggest me to add close grip into the routine. Do I do it immediately after bench presses and follow the same pattern as the rest of the all pro program?

    Thank you very much, nightanole. Your help is much appreciated!
    Any accessories are done directly after allpro.

    If that 18kg dumb bell press is for each hand, you are good, if that is total, then your OHP is less than %60 of your Bench, which is bad.

    The OHP/bench/row should be all connected, dont worry about the squat comparison. You want to row around what you bench (+-20%) and have your OHP at least 60% of your bench. If all those numbers add up you are pretty well rounded.

    I have no clue what your weak point is because there are several ways to fail a bench. You could loose arch/leg drive, you could loose scapula tightness at the bottom and have no chest tightness to push off. You could be lifting a shoulder up and favoring the pec. You could have weak triceps and not lock out. You could have weak pecs and have no momentum off the chest.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #86
    Registered User acic1's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2015
    Age: 24
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    acic1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    acic1 is offline
    I know that the original post says that it is OK to do (2) heavy workouts in a week if you're unable to do 3 normal workouts (heavy-medium-light), but would it be OK to start this program on a 2 workout week?

    The reason I ask is i'd like to get started on this next week, but the only gym I have a member ship to is in the town where I attend college. I leave this town every weekend, so that leaves me able to workout Sunday PM-Friday AM. Ideally, i'd like to workout MWF in the early AM. Anyway, back to what matters: I'm having a hard time finding a good week to start if it would be best for me to do the intended 3-workout week. 2 weeks ago, I wasn't able to. This week, I didn't return to my town (with the gym) until tonight (Tuesday night.) and next week I won't return until Monday night.

    To put it simply, in case you didn't follow me through that, i'm finding a tough time finding a week in which i'd be able to do the 3-workout plan, though i'd like to get started ASAP.

    Would it be OK to start the program by doing 2 heavy workouts/ week? If it matters at all, I've never lifted regularly, and haven't lifted at all in probably 4 years.

    I plan on going to the gym tonight to see what I can do and figure out what weights I should start out at.

    EDIT: I've also been curious about taking supplements/multivitamins/pre-workout. Can anyone point me in a certain direction with what would be good for a beginner? Again, not sure if any of the information matters, but i'm 22, 6'5", 275 lb, haven't lifted regularly in the past. I can control my diet (am going to start eating chicken salads & exploring other healthy options.) Also, i'm lifting to gain muscle mass, not to lose weight. The past 2 summers, I have lost weight and controlled my diet.) My thinking is that when I finally lose enough fat, i'd like to have some muscle and not be a stick.

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  27. #87
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by acic1 View Post
    I know that the original post says that it is OK to do (2) heavy workouts in a week if you're unable to do 3 normal workouts (heavy-medium-light), but would it be OK to start this program on a 2 workout week?

    The reason I ask is i'd like to get started on this next week, but the only gym I have a member ship to is in the town where I attend college. I leave this town every weekend, so that leaves me able to workout Sunday PM-Friday AM. Ideally, i'd like to workout MWF in the early AM. Anyway, back to what matters: I'm having a hard time finding a good week to start if it would be best for me to do the intended 3-workout week. 2 weeks ago, I wasn't able to. This week, I didn't return to my town (with the gym) until tonight (Tuesday night.) and next week I won't return until Monday night.

    To put it simply, in case you didn't follow me through that, i'm finding a tough time finding a week in which i'd be able to do the 3-workout plan, though i'd like to get started ASAP.

    Would it be OK to start the program by doing 2 heavy workouts/ week? If it matters at all, I've never lifted regularly, and haven't lifted at all in probably 4 years.

    I plan on going to the gym tonight to see what I can do and figure out what weights I should start out at.

    EDIT: I've also been curious about taking supplements/multivitamins/pre-workout. Can anyone point me in a certain direction with what would be good for a beginner? Again, not sure if any of the information matters, but i'm 22, 6'5", 275 lb, haven't lifted regularly in the past. I can control my diet (am going to start eating chicken salads & exploring other healthy options.) Also, i'm lifting to gain muscle mass, not to lose weight. The past 2 summers, I have lost weight and controlled my diet.) My thinking is that when I finally lose enough fat, i'd like to have some muscle and not be a stick.

    Thanks!
    2 heavies a week long term need to have the first 3 lifts done with 3 sets instead of 2, in order to make up the volume. Other than that it will net the same results as the 3 day week.

    As far as diet, i have most setup a base line of 100 grams of fats/protein and 200-300 grams of carbs. At 6.5 you may have to bump up the fat/protein to 150 grams, im guessing you need about 2500-2750 cals a day in order to drop a pound a week while progressing on lifts for the first couple of cycles. Once you are at 13% ish (tensed abs) you can start a 3-4lb per cycle bulk IF you can progress at 15% bumps. If you are putting on 3-4lbs a cycle and only progressing at 10% at best, you are just putting on fat. You dont need 5lbs of muscle to add 15lbs to your squat/bench if you know what i mean.

    The only preworkout i can recomend is at least 100 grams of carbs 6-8 hours before the workout, and 150-200mg of caffeine from coffee etc an hour before the workout. I wouldnt bother with a post workout anything nor worry about eating anything a few hours before hand. You will be running off of muscle glycogen on the program, not blood glucose. However you do want them glycogen stores full for the workout, henz the 6-8 hour carb up before hand. If you are going for a morning workout, handle it by not eating just chicken and veg for dinner, it must be a medium carb meal.
    Last edited by nightanole; 10-13-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #88
    Registered User HFABamaFan's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Age: 32
    Posts: 37
    Rep Power: 0
    HFABamaFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HFABamaFan is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    "Bill Starr Rehab for Muscle Pulls"

    So its squats for sets of 25 starting with the bar, and adding 5lbs till it starts to hurt.
    I tried to squat yesterday, but I could hear my knee crack like Rice Crispys.

    But there is no pain today thankfully.

    Since I completed everything but Squats and SLDLs yesterday, would it be okay to complete the rest of my hard to today?

    At least that way I get my hard day reps in.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #89
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 38
    Posts: 6,146
    Rep Power: 7596
    nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000) nightanole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by HFABamaFan View Post
    I tried to squat yesterday, but I could hear my knee crack like Rice Crispys.

    But there is no pain today thankfully.

    Since I completed everything but Squats and SLDLs yesterday, would it be okay to complete the rest of my hard to today?

    At least that way I get my hard day reps in.
    yea id just skip legs this week, do just the first set of warmups on legs if you can, and start the cycle over next week at 9 reps if you feel your knee is up to it.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #90
    Registered User polymath69's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Age: 24
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    polymath69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    polymath69 is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Any accessories are done directly after allpro.

    If that 18kg dumb bell press is for each hand, you are good, if that is total, then your OHP is less than %60 of your Bench, which is bad.

    The OHP/bench/row should be all connected, dont worry about the squat comparison. You want to row around what you bench (+-20%) and have your OHP at least 60% of your bench. If all those numbers add up you are pretty well rounded.

    I have no clue what your weak point is because there are several ways to fail a bench. You could loose arch/leg drive, you could loose scapula tightness at the bottom and have no chest tightness to push off. You could be lifting a shoulder up and favoring the pec. You could have weak triceps and not lock out. You could have weak pecs and have no momentum off the chest.
    Yep, the dumb bell press is for each hand. So it seems that I'm headed the right track.

    I'll just continue going hard at the gym and hopefully, in around 2 cycles I'd be 10 repping bw. I'll also keep what you have told me in mind. They're very useful and informative.

    Thank you for all your help, Nightanole. Also, I appreciate you keeping All Pro's thread alive
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts