Closed Thread
Page 272 of 290 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,160 of 8698
    all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rosco36 View Post
    yes sir
    IF you don't feel like you're getting a full stretch on your calves use a thicker board. That might help but be careful with that.

rosco36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    IF you don't feel like you're getting a full stretch on your calves use a thicker board. That might help but be careful with that.
    I think the reason the eccentric part of my barbell calf raises on a board isn't working well is because I always have to lean forward with the bar to get some support from the power rack. If I don't do this, I will probably fall off the board and it would be too tough to do a proper calf raise. This makes the eccentric part of the raise less effective for me since I'm lowering the bar with while it's supported by the power rack in front. I started doing the bodyweight eccentric heel drops. I'll check back in with the results (hopefully not a torn achilles)

DylanBX44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thoughts on lowering the rep range by 2 or 3 to acheive more strength without stepping into power lifting territory?

To me this workout looks slightly more hypertrophy and not as much strength training. I'd like a routine that is inbetween strength and hypertrophy training, so thought just by lowering the reps by 2 or 3 I could acheive that?

Eg:

Week 1: 6 reps
    Week 2: 7 reps
    Week 3: 8 reps
    Week 4: 9 reps
    Week 5: 10 reps

Yes, I am well aware it says not to modify it, but I remember reading All pro somewhere in the older thread (years back) that changing the reps would be ok. Just curious to what people in here would think of that with my goal in mind?

I think what I am after is a powerbuilding routine, however, I like the exercises within this one and how it works.

Thanks

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DylanBX44 View Post
    Thoughts on lowering the rep range by 2 or 3 to acheive more strength without stepping into power lifting territory?

To me this workout looks slightly more hypertrophy and not as much strength training. I'd like a routine that is inbetween strength and hypertrophy training, so thought just by lowering the reps by 2 or 3 I could acheive that?

Eg:

Week 1: 6 reps
    Week 2: 7 reps
    Week 3: 8 reps
    Week 4: 9 reps
    Week 5: 10 reps

Yes, I am well aware it says not to modify it, but I remember reading All pro somewhere in the older thread (years back) that changing the reps would be ok. Just curious to what people in here would think of that with my goal in mind?

I think what I am after is a powerbuilding routine, however, I like the exercises within this one and how it works.

Thanks
    Lowering the reps by 2 or 3 will increase the working weight by 3-5%, and reduce tonnage lifted per session by 20-25%.

Technically even 3-7 reps works with the allpro pattern, but at some point there will not be enough tonnage lifted in 2 work sets to push progression.

6-10 works too, it just means you will hit the volume wall sooner and will need more accessory work.

Hell people on the traditional 3x5 programs can hit the volume wall in 90 days.

Its perfectly ok, but you really need to think about your goals.

"Carry over" is important. You are going to be "strong" in a range that is +-15% of your training weight. You are not going to be power lifting if you are always training in the 5-10 rep range. Even a 5 rep grinder is a bit over 80% of 1rm, so if someone puts 100-102.5% on the bar, you wont be able to do it even if the math says you can. Like wise someone who does 3x3 at 90% of 1rm training, is not going to be able to do 10 reps at 70%.

Technically even 3-7 reps works with the allpro pattern, but at some point there will not be enough tonnage lifted in 2 work sets to push progression.

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Lowering the reps by 2 or 3 will increase the working weight by 3-5%, and reduce tonnage lifted per session by 20-25%.

6-10 works too, it just means you will hit the volume wall sooner and will need more accessory work.

Hell people on the traditional 3x5 programs can hit the volume wall in 90 days.

Its perfectly ok, but you really need to think about your goals.

"Carry over" is important. You are going to be "strong" in a range that is +-15% of your training weight. You are not going to be power lifting if you are always training in the 5-10 rep range. Even a 5 rep grinder is a bit over 80% of 1rm, so if someone puts 100-102.5% on the bar, you wont be able to do it even if the math says you can. Like wise someone who does 3x3 at 90% of 1rm training, is not going to be able to do 10 reps at 70%.

Thanks for the reply.

What would you think to dropping the reps down to 6 - 10 for say 8 months, and then jumping over to a different routine like Greyskull LP which appears to be more inbetween hypertrophy and strength?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the reply.

What would you think to dropping the reps down to 6 - 10 for say 8 months, and then jumping over to a different routine like Greyskull LP which appears to be more inbetween hypertrophy and strength?
    Greyskull LP is what i recomend after allpro. Once you can bench 10 reps of bw at 13% bf bmi 24, and squat 1.25-1.5x bw for 10 reps. Around that time allpro becomes too fast, and does not have enough tonnage to push progression.

Greyskull LP properly programmed could be ran for life. Its main feature is the ability to take a 4 plate deadlift to a 5 plate deadlift in about 18 months, with equal gains for the rest of the main lifts as well.

Now grey skull is a bit missleading when you think of it as inbetween hypertrophy and strength. Ideally core greyskull is 2 RPE 6-7 sets and 1 RPE 10 set. This is normally 2 sets of 5 and a set of 8-9. "The other half" of the volume of the program is programmed by you, for your goals. The "/fit" variant is a pretty good core. Phraks kinda sucks and i dont recomend it, its was made by a guy who never squatted 3 plate in his life, and just used it to help with his massive calisthenics routine. Properly programmed for an intermediate greyskull should take around 1.5-2 hours per session.

osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

adding single arm farmer carry & turkish get up to All Pro

Hi - love these threads. thank you so much for posting this. I've been at All Pro for 5 5-week cycles now and am loving it. Progressing well
    S - 170
    BP - 175
    BOR - 187.5
    OHP - 100
    SLD - 147.5
    Upright row - 90
    Calf raise - 155

also training for a marathon currently

Been lifting 3 days week and running 4. I'd like to incorporate farmers walks and turkish getups somehow. I've been thinking of adding some kind of "alternative lifting day". I don't want to mess up All Pro, but something to change it up.

would you recommend for farmers walk / turkish get up
    a) adding a day? if so when? after light day?
    b) adding to existing All Pro day? where in the routine?
    c) replacing an all pro lift?

how often or how infrequent? currently thinking once per week

thanks much in advance

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by osmonix View Post
    Hi - love these threads. thank you so much for posting this. I've been at All Pro for 5 5-week cycles now and am loving it. Progressing well
    S - 170
    BP - 175
    BOR - 187.5
    OHP - 100
    SLD - 147.5
    Upright row - 90
    Calf raise - 155

also training for a marathon currently

Been lifting 3 days week and running 4. I'd like to incorporate farmers walks and turkish getups somehow. I've been thinking of adding some kind of "alternative lifting day". I don't want to mess up All Pro, but something to change it up.

would you recommend for farmers walk / turkish get up
    a) adding a day? if so when? after light day?
    b) adding to existing All Pro day? where in the routine?
    c) replacing an all pro lift?

how often or how infrequent? currently thinking once per week

thanks much in advance
    Probably the day after workout 3. Take it easy on the volume!

osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10) osmonix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Probably the day after workout 3. Take it easy on the volume!
    Thanks. and will do

GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    With everyone in quarantine are there any additional workouts I could add? I am doing everything as I normally would do but without being able to get out of the house at present is there anything else I could add? I already do 10km static bike ride 3x a week but feel like I'm adding on a little fat. Cheers

Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    With everyone in quarantine are there any additional workouts I could add? I am doing everything as I normally would do but without being able to get out of the house at present is there anything else I could add? I already do 10km static bike ride 3x a week but feel like I'm adding on a little fat. Cheers
    Are you still able to lift weights?

GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you still able to lift weights?
    Yup but don't have the same amount of daily exercise as in going up and down stairs, walking for a coffee, toilet break, walking to and from car etc

Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Yup but don't have the same amount of daily exercise as in going up and down stairs, walking for a coffee, toilet break, walking to and from car etc
    If you wanted to add moderate cardio on off days that would probably be enough. Most people don't need more than an hourish per week.

I have another question - I've not been progressing on bench press - what should I do if I want to make progress? I'm on my 5th cycle - everything else is going up but bench press is stuck at 175 lbs (where it was beginning of week 1) I'm getting 21-22 reps on test days.

I have another question - I've not been progressing on bench press - what should I do if I want to make progress? I'm on my 5th cycle - everything else is going up but bench press is stuck at 175 lbs (where it was beginning of week 1) I'm getting 21-22 reps on test days.
    What is your height, bw, and body fat? 175lbs is pretty close to the end of the program if you weigh around 175lbs.

At that point you will need 50-100% more volume to push progression, and the progression pattern needs to be flexible enough to allow for 10% progression per year.

What is your height, bw, and body fat? 175lbs is pretty close to the end of the program if you weigh around 175lbs.

At that point you will need 50-100% more volume to push progression, and the progression pattern needs to be flexible enough to allow for 10% progression per year.
    I'm 6'1", 189lbs, 10-11% body fat.

Not sure if my weight being 10% over 175 changes your answer, but when you say 50-100% more volume should I be adding a set (or two) to my bench? so all other lifts are 2 sets, but I'd do 3-4 for bench?

Just for some additional context on myself - I have done on again off again weight lifting before, and bench press probably was the most consistent lift I kept over the years. So I'm not surprised its the first of the 7 lifts to plateau. But please do let me know how you think I could keep progressing on bench (since I'll eventually hit plateaus on other lifts sometime too)

Not sure if my weight being 10% over 175 changes your answer, but when you say 50-100% more volume should I be adding a set (or two) to my bench? so all other lifts are 2 sets, but I'd do 3-4 for bench?

Just for some additional context on myself - I have done on again off again weight lifting before, and bench press probably was the most consistent lift I kept over the years. So I'm not surprised its the first of the 7 lifts to plateau. But please do let me know how you think I could keep progressing on bench (since I'll eventually hit plateaus on other lifts sometime too)
    How much are you squatting? Oh and by the way 175 for 2 sets of 12 = 175 x 15. 15 reps is approximately 62.5%. 175/62.5 = 280. DUDE! If that's correct your bench press is at the end of the road with this program. The question is where are your squats?

How much are you squatting? Oh and by the way 175 for 2 sets of 12 = 175 x 15. 15 reps is approximately 62.5%. 175/62.5 = 280. DUDE! If that's correct your bench press is at the end of the road with this program. The question is where are your squats?
    My squat isn't so great! Currently at 170 lbs - have been passing easily the last 4 cycles. Started light (115 lbs) because my low back was bugging me and wanted to give core and everything time to get strong. Currently (knock on wood) no low back issues. Did 170x8x2 5 days ago and felt strong, thinking I should pass 170x12x2 too.

Oh wow to that math! I've never tried to do my one rep max, but 280 seems insane for bench haha. Maybe I should try sometime

OK - any recommendations for what to do with my bench if its at the end of the program? Sorry if this has been already asked and answered somewhere. I do really love this program and would like to keep it for the other 6 lifts.

My squat isn't so great! Currently at 170 lbs - have been passing easily the last 4 cycles. Started light (115 lbs) because my low back was bugging me and wanted to give core and everything time to get strong. Currently (knock on wood) no low back issues. Did 170x8x2 5 days ago and felt strong, thinking I should pass 170x12x2 too.

Oh wow to that math! I've never tried to do my one rep max, but 280 seems insane for bench haha. Maybe I should try sometime

OK - any recommendations for what to do with my bench if its at the end of the program? Sorry if this has been already asked and answered somewhere. I do really love this program and would like to keep it for the other 6 lifts.
    I wouldn't worry about bench. If you have the patience keep going and try to get your squat and rows up. Rows should be close to bench and over head press should be about 75% of your bench. Don't worry about one lift.

If you want to mix it up a bit, you can try my 10 set of 3 pattern.

Bench using your current working weight for sets of 3, with 30 seconds of rest. Stop when you get a slooooooow rep with good form. If you get all 10 sets, next session add 5-10% more weight, enough to knock you back down to 5-6 sets. If you get really good at this pattern, you will end up with 30 reps of 80-85% of 1rm, in about 8 minutes.

Bench using your current working weight for sets of 3, with 30 seconds of rest. Stop when you get a slooooooow rep with good form. If you get all 10 sets, next session add 5-10% more weight, enough to knock you back down to 5-6 sets. If you get really good at this pattern, you will end up with 30 reps of 80-85% of 1rm, in about 8 minutes.
    Osmonix might have an unbalance going. That's why I'm asking how much he's rowing. Don't make it worse!

I wouldn't worry about bench. If you have the patience keep going and try to get your squat and rows up. Rows should be close to bench and over head press should be about 75% of your bench. Don't worry about one lift.
    thanks! yeah I can be patient. My Row is actually ahead of bench - just started 187.5 but it is really challenging. OHP is at 100 so has a ways to go

cool thanks for the alternative! I'll give that a try

pauly1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm on my 1st cycle week 2. If I can't get my light workout in today should I do it tomorrow (Sat) then continue with my week 3 heavy on Monday or should I skip the light day?

Originally Posted by pauly1998 View Post
    I'm on my 1st cycle week 2. If I can't get my light workout in today should I do it tomorrow (Sat) then continue with my week 3 heavy on Monday or should I skip the light day?
    You can skip up to 2 light days per cycle.

Or you an do 2 heavies in single week if they are at least 72 hours apart.

But you can not work out sat, and then do a heavy monday, that is too soon.

Personally id just do some cardio sat and call it a week.

Is there any harm in replacing the bent over row with an incline chest supported barbell row?
    Attached Images

Is there any harm in replacing the bent over row with an incline chest supported barbell row?
    DON'T DO IT!!!! Posterior chain! Lower back and ham strings are getting worked when you do rows with no support.

DON'T DO IT!!!! Posterior chain! Lower back and ham strings are getting worked when you do rows with no support.
    Ok thanks. Reason I asked is because I have flexibility issues when it comes to bent over row and still leg dead lift. Do you recommend any stretches to loosen up my hamstrings?

Ok thanks. Reason I asked is because I have flexibility issues when it comes to bent over row and still leg dead lift. Do you recommend any stretches to loosen up my hamstrings?
    Preworkout, salutations to the sun. Post work out static stretches are fine. 'Usually stiff leg dead lifts help with flexibility......USUALLY!

engofis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi,

new here, after reading this thread for a while i decided to start with this program, and i have some questions

i am lifting weight for few month with not so good progress
    weight - 59kg (130lbs)
    height - 170cm (5'7")
    i consider myself as "skinny-fat". i pretty skinny on most part of my body, except my stomach that have some fat and really sticks out
    so i would say i definitely not 15% BF, i'd say somewhere close to 20%

my questions:

1. my goal is to lose fat and gain some muscle and get rid of my belly, and not have the "skinny fat" look anymore
    is this program good for me? any special consideration i should take rather than staying at a
    calorie deficit?

2.regarding nutrition - i understand that my intake should be about 100g protein/fat, 200-300g carb. the thing is, when i use the TDEE calc it says that i need to eat around 1200 calories for fat lose.
    it looks like a really low calorie diet, and i have a hard time getting the right amount of proteins i need
    i was on a calorie deficit diet for about 2 months, with about 1400-1500 calories i did not see any weight/fat loss(making me believe that the TDEE calc is right).
    what should i do?

3. my calves are pretty weak, it's the first time i will train this muscle, and it seems that i'm currently cannot do standing calves raises with more than my bodyweight with good form.
    how should i calculate my progress?

Closed Thread
Page 272 of 290 FirstFirst ... 172 222 262 270 271 272 273 274 282 ... LastLast