Reply
Page 258 of 267 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 7994
  1. #7711
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by mzimm15 View Post
    Thanks again Night for your suggestions.

    I'm finally making some progress with some of the lifts I was stalling at on the AP program.

    I would like to add some additional work for biceps but I have quickly learned the hard way NOT to overload at 125% like I was doing on the other lifts - ouch!

    My question is should I do some additional bicep work or just leave it alone? - I'm doing the EZ bar curl and Upright Row but not anything else (the EZ Bar curl would be my only add on assistance at this time).
    I highly recommend a progression that will lead you to 10 and then 20 chinups.

    Other than that, hammer grip curls will reenforce the eblow on the bench press. Or seated incline(leaned back) supenation curls would have the most range of motion.

    But your biceps are only a few pounds, so i would spend too much time on them, even 10 minutes is 20% of your time in the gym
    Reply With Quote

  2. #7712
    Registered User Kxer0's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 60
    Rep Power: 10
    Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kxer0 is offline
    I've swapped to the EZ bar for curls and added in dead hangs (3 reps of 20s each)

    I find that what hurts the most during the hangs is my upper palm, seems like it sustaining my weight while I hang (instead of my actual grip holding me) Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #7713
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by Kxer0 View Post
    I've swapped to the EZ bar for curls and added in dead hangs (3 reps of 20s each)

    I find that what hurts the most during the hangs is my upper palm, seems like it sustaining my weight while I hang (instead of my actual grip holding me) Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
    I would look/watch some of mark rippetoe's deadlift grip guides. You may find you are griping the wrong way.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #7714
    Registered User Kxer0's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 60
    Rep Power: 10
    Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kxer0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kxer0 is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    I would look/watch some of mark rippetoe's deadlift grip guides. You may find you are griping the wrong way.
    You where right, I was gripping the wrong way for pull exercises (or hanging in this case), thank you.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #7715
    Registered User strangelove's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 37
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    strangelove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    strangelove is offline
    Hello. I have a bunch of info i need answered. very much appreciated.
    I am about to start session 8 next week.

    My current for the end of session 7:

    1 rep max from the beginning of the first session to now
    Squat 215 x 12 205 to 305
    Bench 155 x 12 130 to 220
    OHP 87.5 x 12 70 to 112
    BOR 95 x 12 50 to 135
    SLDL 115 x 12 80 to 146
    Curls 70 x 12 50 to 100
    Calfs 265 x 12 229 to 377

    I also do wrist curls, dips, and face pulls.

    My current bodyweight is 180. i am 5'7 so overweight. i have no idea my bmi or bodyfat %.
    Am I close to going to novice. if so, what should i do next?
    i want to get to 315 bench(as well as going up with everything else) in a year, is this a real goal, or not attainable?
    i also want to lose a lot of weight. do i need need to wait until these goals are reached. i dont want to be fat anymore.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #7716
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    Hello. I have a bunch of info i need answered. very much appreciated.
    I am about to start session 8 next week.

    My current for the end of session 7:

    1 rep max from the beginning of the first session to now
    Squat 215 x 12 205 to 305
    Bench 155 x 12 130 to 220
    OHP 87.5 x 12 70 to 112
    BOR 95 x 12 50 to 135
    SLDL 115 x 12 80 to 146
    Curls 70 x 12 50 to 100
    Calfs 265 x 12 229 to 377

    I also do wrist curls, dips, and face pulls.

    My current bodyweight is 180. i am 5'7 so overweight. i have no idea my bmi or bodyfat %.
    Am I close to going to novice. if so, what should i do next?
    i want to get to 315 bench(as well as going up with everything else) in a year, is this a real goal, or not attainable?
    i also want to lose a lot of weight. do i need need to wait until these goals are reached. i dont want to be fat anymore.
    So you are pudgy, but dam you are strong. You can switch to novice "if you want to", but if you like the 12 reps go you can continue, one is not better than the other. I would start a plan for a 2-3 cycle cut to get down to 155-160 and then re evaluate. This will be a challenging cut, so i would think amount not progressing on the weights much, but focus on not missing reps other than 11-12 rep weeks.

    A 315 bench in a year is a no go. Once you reach 225 you will start progressing at 25-33% per year tops. The only way to get to 315 in the next year, is if you were 225lbs bw now, and just didnt know how to bench, and your "true" bench was really 275.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7717
    Registered User strangelove's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 37
    Posts: 4
    Rep Power: 0
    strangelove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    strangelove is offline
    does the volume during the week have to change, i thought i read a in some of the previous pages that this program would not allow you to continue. i do like this program a lot, because obviously it has had a lot of positive results for me. and i would have to get adjusted to a new program if i dont have to and everything else that comes with finding a new program. if that is what you recommend i will keep on. also, if you could recommend something to help me hit a baseball further, that would be great.

    to a second point, for my 3 cycle cut, my work is not physical. can i go to 2000 calories and walk 10 miles a day to lose about 10 each month. should i try that and see if i can maintain my current weights, and then continue for a while. if you have a different suggestion for how to lose 10 a month, i am all ears because while i like walking 10 is a lot but not out of the question.
    Last edited by strangelove; 09-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #7718
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    does the volume during the week have to change, i thought i read a in some of the previous pages that this program would not allow you to continue. i do like this program a lot, because obviously it has had a lot of positive results for me. and i would have to get adjusted to a new program if i dont have to and everything else that comes with finding a new program. if that is what you recommend i will keep on. also, if you could recommend something to help me hit a baseball further, that would be great.

    to a second point, for my 3 cycle cut, my work is not physical. can i go to 2000 calories and walk 10 miles a day to lose about 10 each month. should i try that and see if i can maintain my current weights, and then continue for a while. if you have a different suggestion for how to lose 10 a month, i am all ears because while i like walking 10 is a lot but not out of the question.

    This program will eventually be both too fast of a progression, and not enough weekly volume. We try to get around this a bit by allowing 2 accessories Incase a body part starts lagging, or you have your own personal goal such as 20 chinnups etc.


    10 pounds a month is a pretty deep cut, thats what 25 pounds in 2 cycles. I would ease her back so you hit 15 pounds in 2 cycles. If you spread that out to 3 cycles total, you may find you are 15-20lbs lighter, and passed at least 1 test day for each lift. Even that pace would be faster than an intermediate pattern, since passing every 3rd test day is 10% gains compounded 3 times a year, and most intermediate programs will be running at an average of 20%, with a low of 10% and a high of 30%, per year.

    I believe you wanted to be a bencher, so for an accessory on light day, i would run ed coan's peaking program either the 12 week or the 14 weeks. Then you can see if your calculated 1rm is near your technical 1rm
    Last edited by nightanole; 09-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #7719
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    I've been on this workout for a good few months and have seen a lot of new muscle growth (although the fat isnt coming down as quick as i was hoping but definitely can see the outline/shap of my all abs when i flex before eating anything).

    So i'm on 9 reps this week and i'm seeing some struggle with curls (im starting to get some back involved to get the reps done) and bent rows where i'm not bending as far down as i would expect so i'm probably training my upper traps as opposed to the lower back muscles (lats i think). Im 5'6 ish and on 1700 cals. Im not 100% sure if i should eat another 100 calories, increase carbs and drop a little fat, wait until i officially fail on these lifts or do the 4-8 rep exercise instead (but increasing the weight by a certain percent)?

    With the above said im on a similar program with the squats (4-8) and on rep 5 this week. I can sense some struggle but i think i should be able to make it to 8 reps however adding another 10% may not be possible at this stage and wonder what options i have on this one? Cheers
    Reply With Quote

  10. #7720
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    I've been on this workout for a good few months and have seen a lot of new muscle growth (although the fat isnt coming down as quick as i was hoping but definitely can see the outline/shap of my all abs when i flex before eating anything).

    So i'm on 9 reps this week and i'm seeing some struggle with curls (im starting to get some back involved to get the reps done) and bent rows where i'm not bending as far down as i would expect so i'm probably training my upper traps as opposed to the lower back muscles (lats i think). Im 5'6 ish and on 1700 cals. Im not 100% sure if i should eat another 100 calories, increase carbs and drop a little fat, wait until i officially fail on these lifts or do the 4-8 rep exercise instead (but increasing the weight by a certain percent)?

    With the above said im on a similar program with the squats (4-8) and on rep 5 this week. I can sense some struggle but i think i should be able to make it to 8 reps however adding another 10% may not be possible at this stage and wonder what options i have on this one? Cheers
    Curl and squat do a few reps of 110-125%(you are looking for 2-3 solid reps before form breaks down) of heavy day, at the end of each workout each workout. This should true up for and teach you not to dog the weight. If you still have a bit of energy, you can try some body weight inverted rows, maybe 10 reps tops, at the end of each workout. This will also help with the curl.

    If "energy" is the problem, up the carbs 20-30g, 100-150 cals.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #7721
    Registered User carsonm's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    carsonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    carsonm is offline
    Thank you Nightanole for the endless replies and advice in this thread. Just reading a ton of pages answered all my questions and a couple questions I didn't know I had in the first place. Your time spent in this thread is hugely appreciated.

    I just finished week 5 test day of cycle one. I started all the lifts comfortably light, so passed everything. The only ones that were near any bit of struggle at the end of sets were Bent Over Row and Overhead Press.

    Male 33 / 6'0 / Starting weight 165lb, weight today 169lb. Eating >2500 cals per day, ~150g protein + 200-300g carbs + >100g fat. Diet isn't as consistent as I like, but always hitting macros.

    Since I passed everything starting light, I'm thinking about some >10% adjustments. Mostly based off working math for hitting ~7cycle final lifts you've mentioned (10x bw bench, 10x 1.5*bw squat, row within 20-25%, OHP 60% of bench, etc), with the thought of some larger % increases early to account for future 10%-only increases and some failed test days. Also nudged around for easier to load weights. Weights in lb.

    Squat 110 (to 135, 23% increase)
    Bench 85 (to 100, 18% increase)
    BOR 60 (to 75, 25% increase)
    OHP 40 (to 50, 25% increase)
    SLDL 85 (to 100, 18% increase)
    Curl 30 (to 40, 33% increase)

    I'm a little concerned I was nice and patient to start, but am getting cocky with big increases across the board. Then again, the percentages look big but the absolute value of the weights is pretty low - like +10 pounds on curls shouldn't be too nuts...

    Mostly posting to share and for posterity, but any input on any issues that jump out in the above numbers is definitely appreciated!
    Last edited by carsonm; 09-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #7722
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by carsonm View Post
    Thank you Nightanole for the endless replies and advice in this thread. Just reading a ton of pages answered all my questions and a couple questions I didn't know I had in the first place. Your time spent in this thread is hugely appreciated.

    I just finished week 5 test day of cycle one. I started all the lifts comfortably light, so passed everything. The only ones that were near any bit of struggle at the end of sets were Bent Over Row and Overhead Press.

    Male 33 / 6'0 / Starting weight 165lb, weight today 169lb. Eating >2500 cals per day, ~150g protein + 200-300g carbs + >100g fat. Diet isn't as consistent as I like, but always hitting macros.

    Since I passed everything starting light, I'm thinking about some >10% adjustments. Mostly based off working math for hitting ~7cycle final lifts you've mentioned (10x bw bench, 10x 1.5*bw squat, row within 20-25%, OHP 60% of bench, etc), with the thought of some larger % increases early to account for future 10%-only increases and some failed test days. Also nudged around for easier to load weights. Weights in lb.

    Squat 110 (to 135, 23% increase)
    Bench 85 (to 100, 18% increase)
    BOR 60 (to 75, 25% increase)
    OHP 40 (to 50, 25% increase)
    SLDL 85 (to 100, 18% increase)
    Curl 30 (to 40, 33% increase)

    I'm a little concerned I was nice and patient to start, but am getting cocky with big increases across the board. Then again, the percentages look big but the absolute value of the weights is pretty low - like +10 pounds on curls shouldn't be too nuts...

    Mostly posting to share and for posterity, but any input on any issues that jump out in the above numbers is definitely appreciated!
    might want to bump bench to only 95 and keep OHP at 50. If you are too close to failure on bench, OHP will go down hill, and you are already out of the 60% of bench spec.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #7723
    Registered User carsonm's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    carsonm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    carsonm is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    might want to bump bench to only 95 and keep OHP at 50. If you are too close to failure on bench, OHP will go down hill, and you are already out of the 60% of bench spec.
    will do exactly that, thank you for taking a look.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #7724
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Curl and squat do a few reps of 110-125%(you are looking for 2-3 solid reps before form breaks down) of heavy day, at the end of each workout each workout. This should true up for and teach you not to dog the weight. If you still have a bit of energy, you can try some body weight inverted rows, maybe 10 reps tops, at the end of each workout. This will also help with the curl.

    If "energy" is the problem, up the carbs 20-30g, 100-150 cals.
    Do you mean instead of doing 8-12/4-8 reps I do 3 reps where if I lift 40kg then I should start with 80kg and if I'm on 80kg then start at 160kg for only 3 reps? Sorry I didn't quite follow. Thanks
    Reply With Quote

  15. #7725
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Do you mean instead of doing 8-12/4-8 reps I do 3 reps where if I lift 40kg then I should start with 80kg and if I'm on 80kg then start at 160kg for only 3 reps? Sorry I didn't quite follow. Thanks
    No i meant as an accessory at the end of the workout. So if heavy day is 100kg, at the end of each session (heavy/medium/light) you do 2-3 reps that are somewhere between 110kg-125kg.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #7726
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    No i meant as an accessory at the end of the workout. So if heavy day is 100kg, at the end of each session (heavy/medium/light) you do 2-3 reps that are somewhere between 110kg-125kg.
    Right, so 2-3 reps on all days based on the weight from heavy day.

    Inverted rows - I know you said it would help with the curls but it's this mainly to target bent rows?

    If I feel like I'm failing rows, curls do I stay on that rep count for another week or just continue with the program but add the 2-3 reps?

    Energy wise I think I'm ok but I thought if my form is not 100% by 10v reps I may need to increase carbs before considering adding calories.... Thoughts welcome otherwise I'll leave it as is

    Also I'd like to do a detox where I don't eat meat for 1 week.... I don't see this being a problem as long as I meet my protein goal?
    Last edited by GenerationZero; 09-23-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #7727
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Right, so 2-3 reps on all days based on the weight from heavy day.

    Inverted rows - I know you said it would help with the curls but it's this mainly to target bent rows?

    If I feel like I'm failing rows, curls do I stay on that rep count for another week or just continue with the program but add the 2-3 reps?

    Energy wise I think I'm ok but I thought if my form is not 100% by 10v reps I may need to increase carbs before considering adding calories.... Thoughts welcome otherwise I'll leave it as is

    Also I'd like to do a detox where I don't eat meat for 1 week.... I don't see this being a problem as long as I meet my protein goal?
    Inverted rows use the same form and grip width as the bent over row, you could even do them reverse grip. it will just give the lats and bicep a bit more volume, from a different angle.

    You always try to get that weeks reps in, even if you failed the previous weeks rep goal.

    If your form is "acceptable" then you dont need to increase carbs.

    even a week without protein wont hurt. Your body can make most of the protein it needs out of carbs pretty easily, and you wont run out of essential amino acids for weeks.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #7728
    Banned LargePeter's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Kuntstralia, Australia
    Posts: 26,079
    Rep Power: 0
    LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LargePeter is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    EZ can work too. "any" curl or bicep heavy movement that doesnt encourage wrist curling when bad form sets in.

    We use the "bent over row", strong lifts use the pendlay row. So our row never hits the ground between reps, you bend over 45-60 degrees (not parallel to the floor), and you bend over to tune so that the bar his your chest within 2-3" of the spot where the bench press hits your chest. So the 2 extremes of the row is the parallel to floor varaint, and the "weight just glides up the quads" variant, we are in the middle.
    What is the reason for bent rows vs pendlay rows? I personally have found the pendlay to be a better movement, it's allowed me to move more weight and thickened by back up right quick.

    Bent rows put a lot of extra pressure on my lower back.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #7729
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by LargePeter View Post
    What is the reason for bent rows vs pendlay rows? I personally have found the pendlay to be a better movement, it's allowed me to move more weight and thickened by back up right quick.

    Bent rows put a lot of extra pressure on my lower back.
    "light" pendlays are useless.

    "deskjockies" with very little flexibility can not get into the proper pendlay position, and end up with back issues from rounding.

    Once you are flexible and strong, yes pendlays are superior. You are not going to be bent over rowing 225-250lbs when you can bench 225-250lbs. Instead you will be doing the pendlay

    but pendlay with 105lbs is just asking for crap form.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #7730
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Inverted rows use the same form and grip width as the bent over row, you could even do them reverse grip. it will just give the lats and bicep a bit more volume, from a different angle.

    You always try to get that weeks reps in, even if you failed the previous weeks rep goal.

    If your form is "acceptable" then you dont need to increase carbs.

    even a week without protein wont hurt. Your body can make most of the protein it needs out of carbs pretty easily, and you wont run out of essential amino acids for weeks.
    Gotya! I'll add 2-3 reps each week regardless of failure from the required sets. If i cant match the required accessory workout weight, perhaps 2KG less i would imagine this would be ok?

    Just one other thought. Wouldn't adding additional reps in this manner hinder my recovery?
    Reply With Quote

  21. #7731
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Gotya! I'll add 2-3 reps each week regardless of failure from the required sets. If i cant match the required accessory workout weight, perhaps 2KG less i would imagine this would be ok?

    Just one other thought. Wouldn't adding additional reps in this manner hinder my recovery?
    tuning the very heavy weight will take some eye balling, and you will get VERY good at it in a short time. So i would start out with 110% of heavy day, stop at 3 reps, and increase the weight as necessary till a 4th rep seems shaky(dont do it, always stop at 3 reps) and on a beat day you only do 1-2 reps.

    This is more heavy day light day in 1 session. So you have high volume allpro for metabolic fatigue, but then you have a few very heavy reps, for intensity/cns. In most cases they do not affect each other. In some other programs its litterally heavy day then light day, so you recover from one while doing the other. So 3x3 at 90% 1rm, the next session your cns is shot, but your metabolic fatigue isnt hindered at all and you can do high rep work with ease. Then the next session your metabolic is shot, but you can do 2-3 reps of very heavy weight no problem, just do ask you to climb a flight of stairs
    Reply With Quote

  22. #7732
    Banned LargePeter's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Kuntstralia, Australia
    Posts: 26,079
    Rep Power: 0
    LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LargePeter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LargePeter is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    "light" pendlays are useless.

    "deskjockies" with very little flexibility can not get into the proper pendlay position, and end up with back issues from rounding.

    Once you are flexible and strong, yes pendlays are superior. You are not going to be bent over rowing 225-250lbs when you can bench 225-250lbs. Instead you will be doing the pendlay

    but pendlay with 105lbs is just asking for crap form.
    Yeah, cool. My pendlay row was at 105kg before I stopped training a few months back because of an unrelated knee issue and just got lazy. Coming back with a vengeance now.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #7733
    Registered User Rathe6's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Age: 27
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    Rathe6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rathe6 is offline
    Would modifying this to a T/Th/F schedule be a big deal? I would of course do Med/Lite back to back.

    Reason is that my buddy and I are doing this together and we just can’t make Monday’s work, but we’d like to keep our weekends free.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #7734
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    tuning the very heavy weight will take some eye balling, and you will get VERY good at it in a short time. So i would start out with 110% of heavy day, stop at 3 reps, and increase the weight as necessary till a 4th rep seems shaky(dont do it, always stop at 3 reps) and on a beat day you only do 1-2 reps.
    Thanks for your advice. Just to make sure im on track and haven't misunderstood anything from todays heavy day workout (10 rep week), i did as advised with the exception of:

    Curls: Failed on the last rep on second set. Did the extra 3 reps (just about). I will continue next week going at 11 reps with hope of completing the required reps + 3 heavy.
    Bent rows: Similar as curls but im finding myself lifting my upper back to get the last couple of reps in.

    Considering im doing some inverted rows, do i still require warmup reps for BR?

    If i fail on 12 reps then am i correct in understanding i would redo this cycle again but keep the same trend as above going? Cheers
    Reply With Quote

  25. #7735
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by Rathe6 View Post
    Would modifying this to a T/Th/F schedule be a big deal? I would of course do Med/Lite back to back.

    Reason is that my buddy and I are doing this together and we just can’t make Monday’s work, but we’d like to keep our weekends free.
    Several people have tried it, and never reported back failing the program.

    The other option is do T/F heavy heavy, while adding a 3rd set(other than test day) to bench/row/squat to make up for the lost volume. I call it the holiday pattern
    Reply With Quote

  26. #7736
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Thanks for your advice. Just to make sure im on track and haven't misunderstood anything from todays heavy day workout (10 rep week), i did as advised with the exception of:

    Curls: Failed on the last rep on second set. Did the extra 3 reps (just about). I will continue next week going at 11 reps with hope of completing the required reps + 3 heavy.
    Bent rows: Similar as curls but im finding myself lifting my upper back to get the last couple of reps in.

    Considering im doing some inverted rows, do i still require warmup reps for BR?

    If i fail on 12 reps then am i correct in understanding i would redo this cycle again but keep the same trend as above going? Cheers
    No warmups are needed other than for bench/row/squat. If you want to do additional warmups feel free to, but we dropped them after the big three due to too many failures from the increased volume, especially on the OHP.


    Yes if you fail to get in the 2 sets of 12, you didnt get "at least 10% stronger", so repeat the next cycle at the existing weight. Who knows how strong you got, it may be 5-7.5% and you will pass next cycle.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #7737
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    No warmups are needed other than for bench/row/squat. If you want to do additional warmups feel free to, but we dropped them after the big three due to too many failures from the increased volume, especially on the OHP.
    Yep im referring to rows (i would say theyre the same as bent rows) so at present im doing 20 reps of warmups (a bar + XX amount of my working weight, cant remember what it was) then 10 working reps but find the last two reps where im pretty vertical which means im not targeting the right muscle..... so inverted rows was introduced.... so i still need those 20 warmup reps and cant substitute them with the inverted rows?
    Reply With Quote

  28. #7738
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Yep im referring to rows (i would say theyre the same as bent rows) so at present im doing 20 reps of warmups (a bar + XX amount of my working weight, cant remember what it was) then 10 working reps but find the last two reps where im pretty vertical which means im not targeting the right muscle..... so inverted rows was introduced.... so i still need those 20 warmup reps and cant substitute them with the inverted rows?
    Uhh i never said to swap bent over rows for inverted rows. I said you could do 1 set of inverted rows at the end of the workout for more rowing volume without taxing your back. The inverted rows should be done after the allpro workout, long after you have recovered from bent over rows.

    If you are still having trouble with the bent over row, and you think its the warmup, then adjust the warmup. The warmups are not set in stone, they are generic recommendations so n00bs dont spend 10min warming up for a 10min work session. But yes you have a to "mimic" the movement with a sub optimal weight for 2 sets. Inverted rows do not mimic a bent over row, even if they do use the same muscles. You could try 2 sets of just the bar for 10 reps, you could do a plastic pipe for the first set and then your standard warmup weight for the 2nd set. Hell you could add a 3rd warmup of 1 rep of 110% the working weight, that makes the work sets feel lighter.
    Last edited by nightanole; 09-30-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #7739
    Registered User GenerationZero's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 146
    Rep Power: 12
    GenerationZero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GenerationZero is offline
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Uhh i never said to swap bent over rows for inverted rows. I said you could do 1 set of inverted rows at the end of the workout for more rowing volume without taxing your back. The inverted rows should be done after the allpro workout, long after you have recovered from bent over rows.

    If you are still having trouble with the bent over row, and you think its the warmup, then adjust the warmup. The warmups are not set in stone, they are generic recommendations so n00bs dont spend 10min warming up for a 10min work session. But yes you have a to "mimic" the movement with a sub optimal weight for 2 sets. Inverted rows do not mimic a bent over row, even if they do use the same muscles. You could try 2 sets of just the bar for 10 reps, you could do a plastic pipe for the first set and then your standard warmup weight for the 2nd set. Hell you could add a 3rd warmup of 1 rep of 110% the working weight, that makes the work sets feel lighter.
    Sorry i forgot to state that i do 2 sets of bent rows - so essentially im doing the same/as the program intended + inverted rows after the program.

    Hell you could add a 3rd warmup of 1 rep of 110% the working weight, that makes the work sets feel lighter.
    Now this is what i think would help. I noticed doing the additional 3 heavy reps has helped so i will bring this in. You say 1 rep but what if i'm more vertical than required, would it be ok to continue and attempt to resolve this over the next few sessions?
    Reply With Quote

  30. #7740
    Registered User nightanole's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 41
    Posts: 8,438
    Rep Power: 14459
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    nightanole is offline
    Originally Posted by GenerationZero View Post
    Sorry i forgot to state that i do 2 sets of bent rows - so essentially im doing the same/as the program intended + inverted rows after the program.



    Now this is what i think would help. I noticed doing the additional 3 heavy reps has helped so i will bring this in. You say 1 rep but what if i'm more vertical than required, would it be ok to continue and attempt to resolve this over the next few sessions?
    I dont care how vertical or horizontal you are, as long as the bar hits within 3" of where it hits on the bench press you are gold. Bonus points if your back angle stays the same across all reps.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts