Closed Thread
Page 214 of 290 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,420 of 8698
    Vyprath has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With the bent over barbell Row, should I be doing over hand or underhand? I know that overhand targets traps and upper back with slight activation of lats, where the under hand primarily targets lats.

Also, is there an alternative exercises I can do instead of SLD? Really don’t like to do them.
    Last edited by Vyprath; 11-23-2018 at 09:25 PM.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Vyprath View Post
    With the bent over barbell Row, should I be doing over hand or underhand? I know that overhand targets traps and upper back with slight activation of lats, where the under hand primarily targets lats.

Also, is there an alternative exercises I can do instead of SLD? Really don’t like to do them.
    Bent over row should have the opposite grip of the curl you chose. If you are doing chinups/ normal curls, you want over hand rows, if you are doing pullups/ upright rows, its better to do under hand rows. If you get tennis elbow really easy, you might be stuck with underhand rows for at least part of the year.

The alt to the SLDL is the good morning. You need something with max hamstring stretch, and hits the back.

bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey night -- I've been doing the Greyskull pattern on OHP for a little while now, and I've gotten pretty close to what is apparently my 5RM. At this point I'm noticing that the first set is HARD, much harder than the other 2, but once I grind through the first set the other 2 go more smoothly. Does this just indicate the need for a warm up? And if so, how would you recommend I warm up? Last night I tried pressing just the bar a few times before starting, but this really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bjw11180 View Post
    Hey night -- I've been doing the Greyskull pattern on OHP for a little while now, and I've gotten pretty close to what is apparently my 5RM. At this point I'm noticing that the first set is HARD, much harder than the other 2, but once I grind through the first set the other 2 go more smoothly. Does this just indicate the need for a warm up? And if so, how would you recommend I warm up? Last night I tried pressing just the bar a few times before starting, but this really didn't seem to make much of a difference.
    Yea you guessed right, you need more of warm up if the sets get better as they go on.

Normally the warmup is the bar for 10 reps, then after that there is a few ways to do it. The OHP is tricky because it wears you down so fast, that is why we removed warmups from allpro. Honestly i would do 10 reps with the bar, then 1 rep that is 5-10% heavier than the work set, wait 1-2min, then start the first set. Its either than or do 5-10 singles starting with the bar, and working your way up in 10-20lb increments. The point is to keep the total tonnage as low as possible.

Will I get a big butt from doing squats? Already have one and I don’t want to get it any bigger.

Will I get a big butt from doing squats? Already have one and I don’t want to get it any bigger.
    Not with high bar and SLDL.

Bubble butt is mainly from low bar or other very posterior and short range of motion lifts.

rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Not with high bar and SLDL.

Bubble butt is mainly from low bar or other very posterior and short range of motion lifts.
    That's Interesting. Did not now that.

Why the mention of SLDL. Is it just because it is part of the program or is there a similar exercise that gives a big butt
    Ron

Current: Height:5'9 Weight: 169 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Goal:___Height:5'9 Weight: 170 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Dream:_Height:5'9 Weight: 180 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:14%

Originally Posted by rlefebvr View Post
    That's Interesting. Did not now that.

Why the mention of SLDL. Is it just because it is part of the program or is there a similar exercise that gives a big butt

The SLDL is in ALOT of Butt programs. Because of this people think its a big butt builder. In reality the SLDL "fills in" the bottom of the thigh, which in extreme cases makes the butt seem smaller.

PhilipJFry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you suggest doing strict SLDL (movement starts and ends on the floor) or RDL's (bar never touches the floor during working sets)? I have been doing RDL but my range of motion is almost hitting the floor anyway. And I high bar squat if that makes a difference.

If I go with RDL's, my grip has been giving. What is the lesser of the following evils: Straps or alternating grip? Hookgrip is not an option cause, ill just admit it, i am a weenie.

Secondly, would taking the medium or light day and doing bi lateral versions of the exercises COMPLETELY derail the program or would it be ok (I like the variation)? Assisted pistol squats (or single leg hack squats), hammer strength bench press, dumbell rows, SLDL w/ dumbells alternating legs, dumbell press for shoulders. Same progression and sets, just single arm/ leg varieties.

Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
    Do you suggest doing strict SLDL (movement starts and ends on the floor) or RDL's (bar never touches the floor during working sets)? I have been doing RDL but my range of motion is almost hitting the floor anyway. And I high bar squat if that makes a difference.

If I go with RDL's, my grip has been giving. What is the lesser of the following evils: Straps or alternating grip? Hookgrip is not an option cause, ill just admit it, i am a weenie.

Secondly, would taking the medium or light day and doing bi lateral versions of the exercises COMPLETELY derail the program or would it be ok (I like the variation)? Assisted pistol squats (or single leg hack squats), hammer strength bench press, dumbell rows, SLDL w/ dumbells alternating legs, dumbell press for shoulders. Same progression and sets, just single arm/ leg varieties.
    Lets get some definitions out of the way.

SLDL - Start at normal dead lift lockout, lower the bar with a straight back, bend knees as much as you like as long as it does not cause hip drop, continue movement till hamstrings go tight, then pull back hard, repeat. At no time should the bar touch the floor between reps.

RDL. Start at normal deadlift lockout, perform normal deadlift movement, lowering bar to normal deadlift floor position. Do not lose tension when lightly touching floor, repeat. This is basically an eccentric rep deadlift.

We do high bar back squats and SLDL on this program. The high bar hits the quads more vs other variants, and the SLDL finishes out the hamstrings, since they do not get full flex in the squat.

As for your secondly, you are allowed up to 2 accessories to be done after the core workout. You can pick up to 2 of your movements, and do them an entire cycle, then you can either repeat, or pick 2 new ones. Just dont do a different movement every day/week, or you will just spend your time adapting and never progressive overloading.

PhilipJFry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lets get some definitions out of the way.

SLDL - Start at normal dead lift lockout, lower the bar with a straight back, bend knees as much as you like as long as it does not cause hip drop, continue movement till hamstrings go tight, then pull back hard, repeat. At no time should the bar touch the floor between reps.

RDL. Start at normal deadlift lockout, perform normal deadlift movement, lowering bar to normal deadlift floor position. Do not lose tension when lightly touching floor, repeat. This is basically an eccentric rep deadlift.

We do high bar back squats and SLDL on this program. The high bar hits the quads more vs other variants, and the SLDL finishes out the hamstrings, since they do not get full flex in the squat.

As for your secondly, you are allowed up to 2 accessories to be done after the core workout. You can pick up to 2 of your movements, and do them an entire cycle, then you can either repeat, or pick 2 new ones. Just dont do a different movement every day/week, or you will just spend your time adapting and never progressive overloading.
    Ah, ok so I guess I have been doing SLDL (keeping the back straight for sure). Thank you!

superbboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hello! is anyone use mobile apps? if yes, please, send me a link

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Then there is the "max muscle mass while staying 6 weeks away from abs", this is allpro and alot of the full body routines that focus on higher reps.

Alpros main goal is to keep you around bmi of 24 and flexed abs.
    I’m confused by this. What do you mean 6 weeks away from abs?

Originally Posted by cljolley View Post
    I’m confused by this. What do you mean 6 weeks away from abs?
    Hey Bill, Joe Smow is having a wedding at the beach in 2 months, U R invited

"inner bill" - well i have a 2 pack if i flex, i bet if i cut this 5-10lbs of baby fat i can have relaxed abs by the time the wedding comes around.

OR

Hey Bill, The 40 and over "Push Pull" meet is in 2 months, Jimmy pulled a hammy so you are up

"inner bill" - Hmm im in the mid middle weight class, but if i slim down a bit i can compete in the welterweight class.

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Bill, Joe Smow is having a wedding at the beach in 2 months, U R invited

"inner bill" - well i have a 2 pack if i flex, i bet if i cut this 5-10lbs of baby fat i can have relaxed abs by the time the wedding comes around.

OR

Hey Bill, The 40 and over "Push Pull" meet is in 2 months, Jimmy pulled a hammy so you are up

"inner bill" - Hmm im in the mid middle weight class, but if i slim down a bit i can compete in the welterweight class.
    Interesting way to sum it up but that works. Hah. So night when you say ending stats are BMI 24 with such and such lifts, does the muscular physique come with that? I keep coming back to this question because it seems this program is more toward people who just want to lose weight and build some strength at the same time, but for the oddballs like me that are starting slightly underweight it seems the goal here changes. I want to build muscle and definition. Bottom line. Somebody with a 24 BMI could be either way. They could have a gut and skinny everywhere else, Or fit and muscular looking while remaining fairly lean. So is this or isn’t this the program to be following to build some significant muscle and definition? Is somebody who is starting off on this program underweight better off moving yo a different program?

I’m asking because I fell off the wagon with this program about a month ago due to some misfortune. I did not have the time to continue lifting so I took a month off. I’m ready to get back on it now and am wondering if this program is right for me. I can’t stress enough that all I am after is getting fit and going for an aesthetic physique. Although getting stronger sounds great that is simply not my goal. I know building strength comes along with building muscle but I’m really only focused on building muscle. Does that make sense?
    I did 3 cycles and gained about 6 pounds. I dropped three pounds since I’ve left off and am sure I’m close to beginning stats as far as my lifts go. :/
    Current weight: 141 pounds
    Lifts last I left off:
    Squat:100lbs
    Bench:80lbs
    Row:80
    Seated OHP:50
    Sldl:110
    Curl: 60
    Calf raise:110
    Any tips, pointers, or comments?

Interesting way to sum it up but that works. Hah. So night when you say ending stats are BMI 24 with such and such lifts, does the muscular physique come with that? I keep coming back to this question because it seems this program is more toward people who just want to lose weight and build some strength at the same time, but for the oddballs like me that are starting slightly underweight it seems the goal here changes. I want to build muscle and definition. Bottom line. Somebody with a 24 BMI could be either way. They could have a gut and skinny everywhere else, Or fit and muscular looking while remaining fairly lean. So is this or isn’t this the program to be following to build some significant muscle and definition? Is somebody who is starting off on this program underweight better off moving yo a different program?
    The key to this program is you should always be going up or down at least 1kg per cycle. You cant "recomp" and try to stay at bmi 24, and think you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. This is why i generally tell people to slim down to bmi 23, and then slow bulk to bmi 25, then cut the baby fat at the end over a cycle or 2.

As for gaining significant muscle, Gods gift to lifting will have a bmi of 25 after 18 months of lifting at 13% bf. These are very rare people. A single bmi point of muscle makes a huge difference in appearance at 13%bf and under.

I assume you have read the the ending stats have you benching body weight for 10 reps, and squating 1.25-1.5x bw for 10 reps. This is the same as the magical 4/3/2/1 plate metric for the average college 180-200lb lifter @18%.

So if you want to see changes, and see definition, you must lose the fat so that you have biceps and triceps(and can see 2 muscles on top and 3 muscles on the bottom) vs being 18-20% and just having meat tubes. If you want to see muscle growth, you need to take side shots of your body, because humans get thicker, not wider (unless you are delts bro).

I’m asking because I fell off the wagon with this program about a month ago due to some misfortune. I did not have the time to continue lifting so I took a month off. I’m ready to get back on it now and am wondering if this program is right for me. I can’t stress enough that all I am after is getting fit and going for an aesthetic physique. Although getting stronger sounds great that is simply not my goal. I know building strength comes along with building muscle but I’m really only focused on building muscle. Does that make sense?
    I did 3 cycles and gained about 6 pounds. I dropped three pounds since I’ve left off and am sure I’m close to beginning stats as far as my lifts go. :/
    Current weight: 141 pounds
    Lifts last I left off:
    Squat:100lbs
    Bench:80lbs
    Row:80
    Seated OHP:50
    Sldl:110
    Curl: 60
    Calf raise:110
    Any tips, pointers, or comments?
    Those are fairly impressive numbers(if they are working weight) for someone only 140lbs. You are already half way done with the program.

If you want to get the max out of the program, and the max out of your bulk, i would run the auto regulated variant for a few weeks and see if you like it. Its a lot more weekly tonnage and lets you progress at your own pace. However as mentioned, the auto regulated variant sux for those who get comfortable at a set working weight or body weight.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1376160513

Those are fairly impressive numbers(if they are working weight) for someone only 140lbs. You are already half way done with the program.

If you want to get the max out of the program, and the max out of your bulk, i would run the auto regulated variant for a few weeks and see if you like it. Its a lot more weekly tonnage and lets you progress at your own pace. However as mentioned, the auto regulated variant sux for those who get comfortable at a set working weight or body weight.

Wow I had no idea that was even remotely something to be happy about haha. Well that makes me feel better. Yeah that is working weight. Im sure if I got back on it I would have to drop some weight, but that is where I left off. Anyhow I definitely enjoy progressing and try not to get comfortable working with a set weight or rep range. I enjoy changing it up for sure. I was doing autoregulated for the last cycle I was on. I injured my hip squatting poorly I think. Im not sure exactly what I was doing wrong, but something jacked my hip up good. Its still not 100 percent, but I plan on taking it easy on the squats for at least a couple weeks before I go all out again. I know I gained some mass, but like...IDK I would really hope to be at least somewhat muscular looking by the end of the program. To think I was halfway done honestly kind of worries me because I feel like I was nowhere near my aesthetic goal at all. I love the Allpro program just due to the sheer simplicity of it and the lack of equipment needed. I can do everything needed with a stand, weights, and a bar. All the other programs in the stickies require significantly more equipment and I prefer to work out in my home.

Anyway, I definitely feel motivated now that you say thats something to be proud of. Im gonna try to hop back on it sometime this week and really stick with it. I will probably do one cycle normal and take it easy on squats, and then hop right back on auto regulated after that.

I totally get what youre saying about losing fat to see definition, but if I am only 21.4 BMI currently, then I should slow bulk first, and then cut slightly at the end of the program, right? I shouldnt be cutting at 21.4 BMI should I?

When I do squats I get quite a large amount of pain in my hip flexors, is there an alternative I can do instead of squats? Is there something I am doing wrong.

I totally get what youre saying about losing fat to see definition, but if I am only 21.4 BMI currently, then I should slow bulk first, and then cut slightly at the end of the program, right? I shouldnt be cutting at 21.4 BMI should I?
    Slow bulk till bmi 24, if you feel like you are chubby then, cut a cycle to get down to bmi 23-23.5, then continue the slow bulk. What ever the plan, never stop changing body weight.

When I do squats I get quite a large amount of pain in my hip flexors, is there an alternative I can do instead of squats? Is there something I am doing wrong.
    Sounds like your foot distance/angle is wrong, or you are loose in the hole.

The alt is the high bar box squat. You know you got your foot distance right on the box squat if your shins are perpendicular to the floor in all directions when sitting on the box. And if your knees travel foward when getting off the box, you just did a half arsed box squat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP2b1KnLIUw

Slow bulk till bmi 24, if you feel like you are chubby then, cut a cycle to get down to bmi 23-23.5, then continue the slow bulk. What ever the plan, never stop changing body weight.
    Got it! Thanks again man.

Sounds like your foot distance/angle is wrong, or you are loose in the hole
    I had similar pain from squatting and never figured out why. What do you mean loose in the hole? Do you just mean unstable at full depth?

Sounds like your foot distance/angle is wrong, or you are loose in the hole.

The alt is the high bar box squat. You know you got your foot distance right on the box squat if your shins are perpendicular to the floor in all directions when sitting on the box. And if your knees travel foward when getting off the box, you just did a half arsed box
    I’ll try squats again on Monday to let my flexors rest, I’ll try fix my form and hopefully won’t gdt more pain

I had similar pain from squatting and never figured out why. What do you mean loose in the hole? Do you just mean unstable at full depth?
    I call it the monkey squat. Starting at 2" above parallel you start relaxing into the hole instead of building up tension so you can bounce off the bottom when you knees are fully folded. Odds are you are using a bad cue. Your goal should not be to get the bar lower, your goal is to maintain rigidity all the way down till your knees are fully folded (their strongest position to reverse direction, just like a door hinge) and then explode up before you lose tension.

nicomavick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i am very skinny tell me how to get muscle

Originally Posted by nicomavick View Post
    If you really want help, then give somebody some time to respond to your thread you started with the very same question. You can start helping yourself by visiting the stickies section in the Nutrition forum, and reading through the first few pages of either this, or another sticky workout thread..................

.........saying please helps too

Originally Posted by nicomavick View Post
    Eat....

even if you sat at your desk and ate away your pain, you would gain 1lb of muscle for every 3-4lbs of fat. Eat your sorrows away till you are 100-150lbs over weight and gained 35lbs of muscle. You now have almost a life time of muscle gainz. Now you just have to lift weights while dieting down till you get abs.

Closed Thread
Page 214 of 290 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 264 ... LastLast