Closed Thread
Page 184 of 290 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 8698
    aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    As for herman (wow his new hair cut looks like crap),
    Yeah, doesn't it.

I know his videos are genrally considered good, but I find it very hard to take anyone with that hair cut serious!

Also, what happened with his accent? When I watch his old videos, he's got a normal North American accent. Then suddenly around 2012-2013, his accent changes to this weird thing I can hardly understand.

Jro91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

confirmation

Hey guys,I'm following this guide now I'm on second cycle or maybe third I'm not sure.
    Just wanted to ask if I'm doing it right
    so here's my weights for squat its 14/13/10 kgs without bar heavy/normal/light day.For Squats/bench/row I'm using the warm up routine so in my case I'm doing 7kg/8 reps 10kg/8reps and then 14kg/8reps 2 sets and continuing with next one (bench,row same warm up techniques but different weight)
    Also I've stuck on bench one cycle but probably its because form.
    To be clear I did not used one rep max technique to check my limits in the begginig,should I do it by the end of my cycle and adjust weight or just continue with weight which Iam using right now?
    Also I'm bulking with this program taking about 3140kcal per day 196g of protein and a rest its just 393g carbs/87g of fat (hardly hit carbs limit,fat is no problem)
    I can see results already but in the beggining I was around 20% body fat 77kg (only personal weight with those sensors which can mesure ur bodyfat,water,protein etc I know that its not so precise) now Im22% body fat 81kg

Last nightshifts I spend reading comments and somebody PRO said that this program is not for bulking.first two cycles I bumbed 10% now I raised on 15%
    so my question is kinda simple to ask.
    am I doing it right?
    Thank you kindly!

14kg without bar squats
    22kg without bar bench
    14kg withour bar row
    7kg without bar ooverhead press
    14kg without bar stiffed ddlf
    8kg without ez bar curl
    45 seated calf machine calf raises

now at 81.25kg/21.9% bodyfat (IDK if this is important information)

Thanks again!

*PS sorry if anybody already explain those questions I tried my best but
    *PSS EU here eng is not my main language so please excuse mistakes.
    Last edited by Jro91; 05-29-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: mistakes

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bjw11180 View Post
    Hi night -- Just finished cycle 2 and checking in with some questions on BP and OHP:

BP Cycle 1:
    10-rep week, 140 x 2 x 10
    11-rep week, 140 x 11,6
    12-rep week (dropped weight ~10% per your recommendation), 125 x 2 x 12

BP Cycle 2:
    10-rep week, 140 x 2 x 10
    11-rep week, 140 x 11, 10 and 140 x 11, 8 (2 heavy days this week due to travel forcing a missed workout)
    12-rep week, 140 x 12, 9

Guess I'm just wondering whether this seems like reasonable progress from cycle 1 to cycle 2, and whether it seems likely that I could pass in the third cycle. I am in the midst of trying to drop about 45 pounds (down about 13 since April 1).

OHP Cycle 1
    10-rep week, 65 x 10, 7
    11-rep week, 65 x 11, 6
    12-rep week (dropped weight ~10% per your recommendation), 60 x 12, 8

OHP Cycle 2, got all reps (60 x 2 x 10, 60 x 2 x 11, 60 x 2 x 12)

Here I'm wondering whether to bump to 65 or to 70, given that I can only bump by 5 lbs at a time. 65 is not quite 10%, but I'm a little afraid that 70 (~17%) would bury me, since I'm very weak at this exercise. What would you recommend?
    Bench press it looks like you are progressing at 3.33-5% per cycle.

OHP is still way out of spec (needs to be at least 60% of bench).
    Bump to 70 on the OHP, and focus on keeping rest times as long as possible on heavy days, and short as possible on the other days.

bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bench press it looks like you are progressing at 3.33-5% per cycle.

OHP is still way out of spec (needs to be at least 60% of bench).
    Bump to 70 on the OHP, and focus on keeping rest times as long as possible on heavy days, and short as possible on the other days.
    "As long as possible" meaning take the full 1:30? And "as short as possible" meaning as short as I can stand, e.g. 0:30?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jro91 View Post
    Hey guys,I'm following this guide now I'm on second cycle or maybe third I'm not sure.
    Just wanted to ask if I'm doing it right
    so here's my weights for squat its 14/13/10 kgs without bar heavy/normal/light day.For Squats/bench/row I'm using the warm up routine so in my case I'm doing 7kg/8 reps 10kg/8reps and then 14kg/8reps 2 sets and continuing with next one (bench,row same warm up techniques but different weight)
    Also I've stuck on bench one cycle but probably its because form.
    To be clear I did not used one rep max technique to check my limits in the begginig,should I do it by the end of my cycle and adjust weight or just continue with weight which Iam using right now?
    Also I'm bulking with this program taking about 3140kcal per day 196g of protein and a rest its just 393g carbs/87g of fat (hardly hit carbs limit,fat is no problem)
    I can see results already but in the beggining I was around 20% body fat 77kg (only personal weight with those sensors which can mesure ur bodyfat,water,protein etc I know that its not so precise) now Im22% body fat 81kg

Last nightshifts I spend reading comments and somebody PRO said that this program is not for bulking.first two cycles I bumbed 10% now I raised on 15%
    so my question is kinda simple to ask.
    am I doing it right?
    Thank you kindly!

14kg without bar squats
    22kg without bar bench
    14kg withour bar row
    7kg without bar ooverhead press
    14kg without bar stiffed ddlf
    8kg without ez bar curl
    45 seated calf machine calf raises

now at 81.25kg/21.9% bodyfat (IDK if this is important information)

Thanks again!

*PS sorry if anybody already explain those questions I tried my best but
    *PSS EU here eng is not my main language so please excuse mistakes.
    First you need to figure out how much that bar weighs Bumps are based on total weight lifted, not the 22kg on the bar.

You are free to continue to use different warmups for different days. Or you could simplify it and just have 1 warmup for the whole cycle. You could 1 warmup of the bar (or unloaded with a plastic pipe/ broom handle) and 1 wamup that is 2/3-3/4 of your light day weight.

And you are correct that you should be running the first few cycles on a cut to get down to 13% (flexed abs but smooth when relaxed) and then start the slow bulk. This is not a football routine meant for adding 30lbs(20lbs muscle 10lbs fat) to make weight for try outs.

The base diet is 100g of fats/protein and 200-300g of carbs. I would see how long you can run on that before you switch to bulking.

Originally Posted by aryonoco View Post
    Yeah, doesn't it.

I know his videos are genrally considered good, but I find it very hard to take anyone with that hair cut serious!

Also, what happened with his accent? When I watch his old videos, he's got a normal North American accent. Then suddenly around 2012-2013, his accent changes to this weird thing I can hardly understand.
    Lets see here...

He moved
    fought with the neighbors over shrubs
    got kicked out of his gym
    has a daughter
    Cant use the letter R any more...

Jro91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First you need to figure out how much that bar weighs Bumps are based on total weight lifted, not the 22kg on the bar.

You are free to continue to use different warmups for different days. Or you could simplify it and just have 1 warmup for the whole cycle. You could 1 warmup of the bar (or unloaded with a plastic pipe/ broom handle) and 1 wamup that is 2/3-3/4 of your light day weight.

And you are correct that you should be running the first few cycles on a cut to get down to 13% (flexed abs but smooth when relaxed) and then start the slow bulk. This is not a football routine meant for adding 30lbs(20lbs muscle 10lbs fat) to make weight for try outs.

The base diet is 100g of fats/protein and 200-300g of carbs. I would see how long you can run on that before you switch to bulking.
    OK thanks a lot!
    I've updated my fitness pal and see what happens.
    Gonna ask my gym how much do barbells and EZ weight or I gonna use scale to weight them.
    I'll be in touch with new updates!

bavinck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi folks,
    I am brand new to lifting. I have lost about 65lbs and am starting to incorporate cardio and lifting into an exercise program to help continue weight loss and build (or maintain) lean muscle. I am going to follow the All Pro plan, but I am unsure of what starting weight to use. Tonight I plan to calculate my max 10 rep, but am unsure on what weight to pick to start. Is there a general good starting point? Should I start with more weight on some movements (like squats) than others (curls)? Any ballpark starting point would really help. I have a set of dumbbells that I will be using up to 60lbs and I plan to purchase a barbell setup soon.
    Thanks!

Originally Posted by bavinck View Post
    Hi folks,
    I am brand new to lifting. I have lost about 65lbs and am starting to incorporate cardio and lifting into an exercise program to help continue weight loss and build (or maintain) lean muscle. I am going to follow the All Pro plan, but I am unsure of what starting weight to use. Tonight I plan to calculate my max 10 rep, but am unsure on what weight to pick to start. Is there a general good starting point? Should I start with more weight on some movements (like squats) than others (curls)? Any ballpark starting point would really help. I have a set of dumbbells that I will be using up to 60lbs and I plan to purchase a barbell setup soon.
    Thanks!
    Everybody will be different. We got rock climbers that started with rowing weighted 2x higher than their bench. We got people that can start with a 1 plate bench, but cant OHP the bar.

Lets go out on a limb and say you are between 150-200lbs and are under 6ft...

"the bar" should weigh 20kg/45lbs. I would ask/check that first. I would try out squat bench row with 95lbs (the bar with some 25's on it) if you know how to do them. Its better to pick a test weight you can not lift 10 times, vs one you can lift 20 times. You can then plug that test into a 1 rep max calc, and start the program at 60-65% of your 1rm.

If you are really clueless, play with some weights, figure out something you might be able to do 4-6 reps with. Take 72 hours rest, come back and do the allpro workout in the general order you will be doing it regularly, for 1 set of the test weights. Then you can just re roll and go once you calculate your 1 rep maxes.

Everybody will be different. We got rock climbers that started with rowing weighted 2x higher than their bench. We got people that can start with a 1 plate bench, but cant OHP the bar.

Lets go out on a limb and say you are between 150-200lbs and are under 6ft...

"the bar" should weigh 20kg/45lbs. I would ask/check that first. I would try out squat bench row with 95lbs (the bar with some 25's on it) if you know how to do them. Its better to pick a test weight you can not lift 10 times, vs one you can lift 20 times. You can then plug that test into a 1 rep max calc, and start the program at 60-65% of your 1rm.

If you are really clueless, play with some weights, figure out something you might be able to do 4-6 reps with. Take 72 hours rest, come back and do the allpro workout in the general order you will be doing it regularly, for 1 set of the test weights. Then you can just re roll and go once you calculate your 1 rep maxes.
    OK, I get what you are saying. Thanks for the response. I am 6ft exactly and 302lbs. Obviously losing fat is my priority, but I want to build healthy patterns that include weight lifting as well. I lost 65lbs since last November, now I am looking at lifting and cardio regular in my week.

I will do as you say and report back. Thanks again for the help.

OK, I get what you are saying. Thanks for the response. I am 6ft exactly and 302lbs. Obviously losing fat is my priority, but I want to build healthy patterns that include weight lifting as well. I lost 65lbs since last November, now I am looking at lifting and cardio regular in my week.

I will do as you say and report back. Thanks again for the help.
    In your case i would make 1 exception. I would start squatting with 45-65lbs(aka the bar, or a little more) and then have a progression of just adding the body weight you lost, to the bar. Since you have 100-125lbs to lose, that will put your working weight at about 175lbs, which should be around body weight.

In your case i would make 1 exception. I would start squatting with 45-65lbs(aka the bar, or a little more) and then have a progression of just adding the body weight you lost, to the bar. Since you have 100-125lbs to lose, that will put your working weight at about 175lbs, which should be around body weight.
    Alright. Now that is the kind of helpful insider knowledge I was hoping to find! The tough part is going to be (in theory) the drop in scale reading will not be pure fat but some combo of fat loss and muscle gain. Should I compensate for that is the squat progression? And when you say to do this with squat it is only that movement right, not the other large energy compounds?

aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aryonoco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright. Now that is the kind of helpful insider knowledge I was hoping to find! The tough part is going to be (in theory) the drop in scale reading will not be pure fat but some combo of fat loss and muscle gain.
    That's not really true for a newbie with no lifting experience. If you eat enough protein, and do resistance training while losing weight, you can retain all your muscle and maybe even build some.

I lost over 100 lbs last year and my squat went from 45kg to 110kg. Did I lose any muscle? Possibly, but if I did, it was very minimal.

Lets see here...

He moved
    fought with the neighbors over shrubs
    got kicked out of his gym
    has a daughter
    Cant use the letter R any more...
    Actual LOL.

Alright. Now that is the kind of helpful insider knowledge I was hoping to find! The tough part is going to be (in theory) the drop in scale reading will not be pure fat but some combo of fat loss and muscle gain. Should I compensate for that is the squat progression? And when you say to do this with squat it is only that movement right, not the other large energy compounds?
    Muscle loss will not occur till the lower teens of body fat. You are basically "bulking" off your gut till then. The "nice" thing about very overweight people is they technically have all the n00b gains already. The hard part is getting the balance right so they can keep the muscle down to the BMI 24-26 level. Ive had a lot of 250-350lb people get to 15-20 pushups, i see them a few years later, they are still doing 15-20 pushups but now at a body weight of 150-175lbs, and if i put a 45lb weight on their back i would pin them to the ground...

So after a few of those i started recommending finding ways to keep the weight on the body when you are doing movements that move the torso through space. You dont need this progression for bench, because weight lost doesnt make the exercise easier. So this "trick" is mainly for just squats.

Now if you want to see the scary future. Once you are at 13% body fat, your choices are to bulk and have 1lb of fat gain per 2-3lbs of muscle(a drastic 30lb 18 month bulk would be 20lbs of muscle and 10lbs of fat under ideal conditions), or lose "weight" and lose 1lb of muscle for every 3-4lbs of fat(2-3lbs once you drop below 10%).

Mystevees has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle loss will not occur till the lower teens of body fat. You are basically "bulking" off your gut till then. The "nice" thing about very overweight people is they technically have all the n00b gains already. The hard part is getting the balance right so they can keep the muscle down to the BMI 24-26 level. Ive had a lot of 250-350lb people get to 15-20 pushups, i see them a few years later, they are still doing 15-20 pushups but now at a body weight of 150-175lbs, and if i put a 45lb weight on their back i would pin them to the ground...

So after a few of those i started recommending finding ways to keep the weight on the body when you are doing movements that move the torso through space. You dont need this progression for bench, because weight lost doesnt make the exercise easier. So this "trick" is mainly for just squats.

Now if you want to see the scary future. Once you are at 13% body fat, your choices are to bulk and have 1lb of fat gain per 2-3lbs of muscle(a drastic 30lb 18 month bulk would be 20lbs of muscle and 10lbs of fat under ideal conditions), or lose "weight" and lose 1lb of muscle for every 3-4lbs of fat(2-3lbs once you drop below 10%).
    I feel like it would be easier at 155-160 lbs @ 12-15% and be able to eat more than the 2100 calories I'm intaking and see progression in strength rather than the position I'm in which is 200lbs and about 30% and trying to maintain the same lifts while getting to 160lbs...Maybe even recomp stage. I'm approaching the end of my 7th cycle and feel like the lifts are getting harder, form seems to be suffering and the weight loss is going super slow although I (could/should do more cardio). I'm not failing on 10 rep week but after lifting the same weight for the last 5 cycles I feel like 11 and 12 REP week are harder now then 3 cycles ago. Maybe it's just fatigue or more mental than anything. Good news tho is my clothes fit better.
    Last edited by Mystevees; 05-30-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Going to do my test tomorrow with max weight reps. I had planned to do some cardio today. Should I skip the cardio today to save my muscles for tomorrow (airbike)?

Going to do my test tomorrow with max weight reps. I had planned to do some cardio today. Should I skip the cardio today to save my muscles for tomorrow (airbike)?
    Cardio shouldnt matter unless its a hallf marathon or something.

Originally Posted by Mystevees View Post
    I feel like it would be easier at 155-160 lbs @ 12-15% and be able to eat more than the 2100 calories I'm intaking and see progression in strength rather than the position I'm in which is 200lbs and about 30% and trying to maintain the same lifts while getting to 160lbs...Maybe even recomp stage. I'm approaching the end of my 7th cycle and feel like the lifts are getting harder, form seems to be suffering and the weight loss is going super slow although I (could/should do more cardio). I'm not failing on 10 rep week but after lifting the same weight for the last 5 cycles I feel like 11 and 12 REP week are harder now then 3 cycles ago. Maybe it's just fatigue or more mental than anything. Good news tho is my clothes fit better.
    You could try eat-stop-eat and just skip 24 hours of meals in a row once a week. So skip dinner, then fast till next dinner. It seems to work vs low calories all week.

bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Trying not to be too pessimistic but I'm anticipating being in a similar situation after a few more cycles. Currently around 225, shooting for 190, and only just finished cycle 2 but gains seem quite slow right now, so I could certainly see them stagnating entirely in the not so distant future.

Originally Posted by bjw11180 View Post
    Trying not to be too pessimistic but I'm anticipating being in a similar situation after a few more cycles. Currently around 225, shooting for 190, and only just finished cycle 2 but gains seem quite slow right now, so I could certainly see them stagnating entirely in the not so distant future.
    Well if you can eek out 1.5% loss per week...

That puts you 12 weeks out. Technically if you went the full 3 cycles you could get down to 182 and then start the slow bulk.

On the other hand, Mr 302lbs will take 37 weeks to reach 175lbs. But imagine Mr.302 at the 1 year mark squatting close to 2 plate for 10 reps at 180-185lbs

Everyone needs to play the long game.

Everyone needs to play the long game.
    Indeed.

I see a lot of people getting frustrated with slow progress here.

Look, it's easier if you are a skinny 20 year old to suddenly eat GOMAD, lift 5x5 and join the 1,000 lbs club in half a year.

Once you are in your thirties and forties, obese, and trying to "fix" your life, it take a more methodical approach, and it takes a long time.

Weigh your food and count your calories correctly, follow a tried and true lifting program such as this, and trust the process. It takes time, but if you keep at it, you'll get there.

I'm not failing on 10 rep week but after lifting the same weight for the last 5 cycles I feel like 11 and 12 REP week are harder now then 3 cycles ago. Maybe it's just fatigue or more mental than anything.
    5 cycles on the same weight but you are not missing the 10 rep week? Are you sure it's not a mental barrier thing?

GymGiraffe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So I am on Week 3 of my 4th cycle. I can't link a picture since I don't have 50 posts, so I've attached a screenshot.

This cycle I have been having a lot of trouble completing my Barbell Curls with good form and full range of motion. The Overhead Barbell has also been a challenge. I imagine I have just increased my weights too quickly.

What is my best course of action? Should I go back to my Cycle 3 weights for those two exercises and keep everything else? Or should I just spend a few weeks repeating Week 1 (8 reps) of the 4th cycle?

Is there any benefit to coming into the gym in between my main days and doing some additional lightweight (50% load) exercises to build strength? Or am I better off resting and avoiding over working.

I am excited with the physical changes I am experiencing with my body, just noticed my biceps haven't change very much at all relative to everything else. I am currently stalling my SLDLs while getting my squat numbers up, and trying to get my Bent over-rows closer to my bench press numbers. Starting to think about diet as well and making sure I get sufficient protein.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by aryonoco View Post
    Indeed.

I see a lot of people getting frustrated with slow progress here.

Look, it's easier if you are a skinny 20 year old to suddenly eat GOMAD, lift 5x5 and join the 1,000 lbs club in half a year.

Once you are in your thirties and forties, obese, and trying to "fix" your life, it take a more methodical approach, and it takes a long time.

Weigh your food and count your calories correctly, follow a tried and true lifting program such as this, and trust the process. It takes time, but if you keep at it, you'll get there.
    Mr. 302lbs is 8n it for the long haul. Need to be fit. So these are my max number I just figured out
    Squat 60lbs (as recommended I can squat considerably more than this. I did 100lbs and made 20 reps and stopped, not failed)
    Bench 90lbs
    Row 100lbs
    Ohp 75lbs
    Sldl 125 lbs
    Upright row 70lbs
    Calves I set at 170lbs as I could do 20+ without fail on 120lbs and I only have 120lbs of dumbbells at my house. Not sure what's up with that, must be carrying all my weight over the years.

Kcstills17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man. Thanks for the program you've set up. Im starting it tomorrow and it's my first training with a bar bell. Just haven't had access to one before. Essentially I would like to ask if there are any exercises you would have in mind on the off days? I realize some days will be pretty tough but I'd still like to do some extra work on the other days if necessary. Up to this point I'd really on done light exercise on Monday's and then done jump roping on thursdays for 1 minute intervals with a 40 second break. I'd gotten up to 46 minutes but I'm not sure if I really want to do it (at least for the foreseeable future) as I've really tried to educate myself on the mechanics of getting in shape. I also love to play basketball but I dont know how much that really affects me with weight change or anything. On my profile pics I'm skinny fat at 5'10 168. I've mainly cut out the junk food in my diet (with a few hiccups such as pecan swirl or 2 in a day) but I've been eating a lot more real foods. And I never realized how many processed foods I ate. I'm starting to plan my grocery list around almost all healthy carbs, proteins, and fats. I know I'm rambling but I'd like to know a few things as I'm getting started. So at my age weight and height the calculators I've used to get my maintenance is around 1800 calories. Does this seem correct to you? Also at my physique should I still try and eat at a surplus? Or at maintenance or to cut? Honestly I don't think my metabolism is as effective because really I don't typically eat a lot and most of the calories I got were from junk that easily piled up. Now that I'm cutting almost it all out I'm having a bit of a tough time meeting those calories on a consistent basis. Which despite my limited knowledge I know won't get me anywhere. Can you give an estimate of the macros I should be getting at this weight, age, and physique? I have MyFitnessPal but I'm still a bit unsure. Thankfully I'm done wasting your time and hope to be able to be apart of this community for years to come.

Originally Posted by GymGiraffe View Post
    So I am on Week 3 of my 4th cycle. I can't link a picture since I don't have 50 posts, so I've attached a screenshot.

This cycle I have been having a lot of trouble completing my Barbell Curls with good form and full range of motion. The Overhead Barbell has also been a challenge. I imagine I have just increased my weights too quickly.

What is my best course of action? Should I go back to my Cycle 3 weights for those two exercises and keep everything else? Or should I just spend a few weeks repeating Week 1 (8 reps) of the 4th cycle?

Is there any benefit to coming into the gym in between my main days and doing some additional lightweight (50% load) exercises to build strength? Or am I better off resting and avoiding over working.

I am excited with the physical changes I am experiencing with my body, just noticed my biceps haven't change very much at all relative to everything else. I am currently stalling my SLDLs while getting my squat numbers up, and trying to get my Bent over-rows closer to my bench press numbers. Starting to think about diet as well and making sure I get sufficient protein.
    Your numbers look in line. I would worry about curls as long as your row is going up, you dont want both to stall, but progressing on one is still progressive overload (and additional volume) for that muscle group.

It smells like a diet problem. And 9 time out of 10 its not "up the protein", your body can may any non essential amino acid out of carbs just fine, and you know what it makes alot of the hormones out of, fat.
    If you are convinced you are not nutrient deficient(notice i didnt say caloric) then i would focus on resting the max 90 seconds on heavy day, and the shortest time possible on medium and light days. And even if you cant keep up with the 10% progression, failing 1 out of 3 is 6.66%, and failing every other is still 5%. Even if you pass every other cycle you are still putting 50kg on your bench per year.

Mr. 302lbs is 8n it for the long haul. Need to be fit. So these are my max number I just figured out
    Squat 60lbs (as recommended I can squat considerably more than this. I did 100lbs and made 20 reps and stopped, not failed)
    Bench 90lbs
    Row 100lbs
    Ohp 75lbs
    Sldl 125 lbs
    Upright row 70lbs
    Calves I set at 170lbs as I could do 20+ without fail on 120lbs and I only have 120lbs of dumbbells at my house. Not sure what's up with that, must be carrying all my weight over the years.
    70lb upright row, daum...
    SInce you are doing up right rows, adjust your grip on the barbell so the rep naturally ends at shoulder level, you do not want to be doing the to the ears version.
    Calve raises you do not have to do if you like your current size, its a cosmetic exercise for the 1/3 of gen pop that cant grow them with just squats etc.

If you are are up to it, and starting out light on the squats, you could start doing some farmer carries/walks now just to get in some GPP work. Try them high foot (ankle reaches knee level each step, no shuffling) with a weight that will keep you in the 20-30m zone.

We will see about the squats. Adding 10% more weight to a 30 rep max set will drop the reps down to 20 reps. Adding 10% to a 20 rep max set will drop them to about 14 reps. So im hoping in 2 cycles you will be squatting 100lbs, if you can handle the 1.5% weight loss per week.

The standard cardio on the program is 3 hours(or more) of 30k worth of jogs. AKA we are going for distance not speed. So if you can get in 4 hours of walking(max speed you can go with 1 foot always on the ground) per week you should be set.

Originally Posted by Kcstills17 View Post
    Hey man. Thanks for the program you've set up. Im starting it tomorrow and it's my first training with a bar bell. Just haven't had access to one before. Essentially I would like to ask if there are any exercises you would have in mind on the off days? I realize some days will be pretty tough but I'd still like to do some extra work on the other days if necessary. Up to this point I'd really on done light exercise on Monday's and then done jump roping on thursdays for 1 minute intervals with a 40 second break. I'd gotten up to 46 minutes but I'm not sure if I really want to do it (at least for the foreseeable future) as I've really tried to educate myself on the mechanics of getting in shape. I also love to play basketball but I dont know how much that really affects me with weight change or anything. On my profile pics I'm skinny fat at 5'10 168. I've mainly cut out the junk food in my diet (with a few hiccups such as pecan swirl or 2 in a day) but I've been eating a lot more real foods. And I never realized how many processed foods I ate. I'm starting to plan my grocery list around almost all healthy carbs, proteins, and fats. I know I'm rambling but I'd like to know a few things as I'm getting started. So at my age weight and height the calculators I've used to get my maintenance is around 1800 calories. Does this seem correct to you? Also at my physique should I still try and eat at a surplus? Or at maintenance or to cut? Honestly I don't think my metabolism is as effective because really I don't typically eat a lot and most of the calories I got were from junk that easily piled up. Now that I'm cutting almost it all out I'm having a bit of a tough time meeting those calories on a consistent basis. Which despite my limited knowledge I know won't get me anywhere. Can you give an estimate of the macros I should be getting at this weight, age, and physique? I have MyFitnessPal but I'm still a bit unsure. Thankfully I'm done wasting your time and hope to be able to be apart of this community for years to come.
    Starting diet is 100g of fats/protein and 200-300g of carbs, its hard to perform below that (some have tried 1800 and started stalling). This is an on season program so sports are fine, really anything is fine other than true HIIT.

If you want some off days stuff, try farmer carries/walks and grease the groove chinups. You can also google "nightanole cant cheat list" for ab work.

Ya never done the upright rows before and they really gave me a challenge. I am convinced my form sucked and it felt like my shoulders just couldn't keep up. What would a good level be at for that?

I am doing good old weight watchers to monitor my eating. For cardio I have an assault airbike that I do about 25mins twice a week around 170W. That sound like decent cardio for the program?

Closed Thread
Page 184 of 290 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 ... LastLast