Closed Thread
Page 15 of 290 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    -I realized recently that I've been a bit inconsistent with my rest periods... how important is it to have at or below 90 secs rest between sets of the same exercise? I mean should I be setting a timer or is it ok to occasionally go to 2 or 3 minutes?

-For the BOR, how quickly should I be doing the reps? I passed at 99lbs so I moved up to 111 and I feel like now I'm struggling and doing the reps pretty slowly. I was thinking maybe of going down to like 104 and seeing if I can do the reps more quickly. I kinda feel like these slow reps, I'm not using the right muscles. Does that seem like a good idea?

-Would it be nuts to add 2 or 3 sets of leg curls, once a week, after the main lifts? I feel like SLDL isn't doing enough for my hamstrings (I think its working my back as much or more than my hamstrings). Just as a reminder, here's my current lifts and progress since starting:

Tues, Thurs, Sat:
    Squat (50-->155)
    Bench (110-->143)
    BOR (60-->111)
    OHP (60-->85)
    SLDL (110-->231)
    Lat Pull (70-->120)
    Curl (50-->70)
    Skullcrushers (50-->85)

Sat only:
    Calf Raises (2 sets of AMRAP)
    Pendlay Rows (3 sets of 1-3 heavy)
    Band FacePulls (3 sets of 20-30)
    Farmers Walk
    Leg Curl???

Does that SLDL number seem wrong? I love that exercise but I worry that I'm maybe doing it wrong, using the back more than the hamstrings. I try following the vids you've linked to but I'm just not sure...

Finally, for the Farmer's Walk, which I'm doing once a week to help with grip and core, I have two options due to equipment limitations: one 45lb plate in each hand, which I can carry along for quite awhile before my hands start to fatigue, or one 100lb dumbell in each hand, which I can only handle for short distance. There are no hardware stores or anything like that here so I can't make a farmer's walk apparatus out of pipes. So what's better, light weight for a long distance or heavy weight for a short distance?
    If you want to get into the science of it, look up how the body responds to restpause training. Yes you can move more weight if you do 10 reps, wait 3min and do 10 reps. However you are not using the upper threshold muscle fibers till half way or more into the first set. If you rest 3min, you just reset the number again. So again you are not hitting the upper threshold till half way through the set. So now you have a double wammy. You are working with a much lighter weight than with a 5 rep program, but you really are only doing 5 reps, and alot of fatigue inducing volume that is not needed. If you want to do a 3x5 program with 3-5min rests, just switch to starting strength, it has worked for decades.

for the SLDL, im guessing your back is not static during the movement (like a regular deadlift) and you are indeed using your back for a lot of it as you say. This is the old school SLDL that you are doing. If you cant nail down the SLDL, then switch to good mornings, its the same exercise only without the grip work, and you are getting your grip work with the farmers walks anyway. Switching to glute ham raises and leg curls is not going to do it. If anything you are posterior dominant (unheard of in the working class world) and need quad work to bring up your squat.

I am slightly deadlift dominant in my lifts. When i am squatting 165lbs for reps, im also regular deadlifting 225lbs for the same reps. You your swing is 20lbs greater, and you are doing it with a SLDL and that is even harder than a regular deadlift.

Farmers walks/carries need to be trained strongman style. I would suggest shooting for a weight you can only carry 20-30m.

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Alrighty, since you suggested I not get into the habit of doing too many single heavy 10 rep sets on my light day of cycle 5, I did them for bench (because I was afraid of my form), and OHP and SLDL, since I hadn't gotten to them due to the constraints last test day. I did finish them, it was hardest for bench. I stuck with the 135 pendalays for the last day of this cycle, and I'll bump them to 145 since I again could get about 5 reps of them (too many).

Things are looking up, though I seem to be at another "wall" in weight loss... guess I'll ride it out for a week or so, then watch it drop all at once over two days like usual. (Seems like it happens every 5 lbs or so).

Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    should my back be vertical to the floor on a BOR or 45 angle or what angle ? and for grip width should it be wide or narrow and what is considerd narrow or wide on this exercise . I use a shoulder width and out of shoulder widh grip for this (for the first set narrow and for the second wide) and my back is lower than 45 but not vertical and Im using a supinated grip since pronation tires my forarms faster

and for the SLDL I'm starting to get able to reach the ground with the weight but still feeling the teniton in the hams. its not like it rest on the ground but barely touch it

and on the bench i feel the chest contract but at the end i feel my tri fatigued a little but nothing for the chest is that ok

and at the end of the squat i feel my legs worked but not my glutes like not the same feeling that i get in my hams in SLDL where they feel like they are tearing I actually dont know how Im supposed to feel in my glutes
    cycle 2 week 3 starting tommorow and on a cut but starting to see great progress in my body i read that in cut you dont build muscle you have to eat more than you consume to see increase in muscle mass or is it because im are they what the call noob gains ???

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Marwan4449 View Post
    should my back be vertical to the floor on a BOR or 45 angle or what angle ? and for grip width should it be wide or narrow and what is considerd narrow or wide on this exercise . I use a shoulder width and out of shoulder widh grip for this (for the first set narrow and for the second wide) and my back is lower than 45 but not vertical and Im using a supinated grip since pronation tires my forarms faster

and for the SLDL I'm starting to get able to reach the ground with the weight but still feeling the teniton in the hams. its not like it rest on the ground but barely touch it

and on the bench i feel the chest contract but at the end i feel my tri fatigued a little but nothing for the chest is that ok

and at the end of the squat i feel my legs worked but not my glutes like not the same feeling that i get in my hams in SLDL where they feel like they are tearing I actually dont know how Im supposed to feel in my glutes
    cycle 2 week 3 starting tommorow and on a cut but starting to see great progress in my body i read that in cut you dont build muscle you have to eat more than you consume to see increase in muscle mass or is it because im are they what the call noob gains ???
    uh....

BOR is 45 degrees or greater, some people are find with them with the back parallel with the floor due to body morphology, if you have a long torso its probably not going to work out real well.

Grip should be a little narrower than your bench grip, odds are its your OHP grip.

Should be done pronated (palms away) so you dont get tendinitis in the bicep. Supinated can lead to a pulled bicep pretty easy. You are correct that the supinated grip deloads the forearm, but what other forearm work is in the program? Also the curl is done supinated so the program hits all heads of the bicep.

Once you can touch the ground stand on a platfrom (or plate) to turn it into a deficit lift. Some can get the bar to the top of the ankles if they have good flexibility (dat 4ft ROM).

Bench is chest at the bottom and triceps at lockout. If you slow rep it (not a good idea) you will feel it in your chest more than your triceps.

For the squat if you go low enough (below parallel) you will feel it more in the glutes, but the squat is high bar, so we have a quad dominant high ROM squat, and a high ROM SLDL to round out the legs.

You will gain muscle till around 13% (tensed abs), around that time you can only maintain muscle while cutting. Its incredibly hard to lose it, but if you cut too deep (missing reps on 10 rep week) you will loose strength, and over time that can lead to muscle loss after several months. You are bulking off your spare tire till 13%

Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marwan4449 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks alot man I do upright rows since you mentioned in the program that they are a better exercise but I will go back to pronated grip for the BOR anyway I think its better for the forarms as you said
    meant parallel by vertical lol sorry for that one
    you are awesome bro

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks alot man I do upright rows since you mentioned in the program that they are a better exercise but I will go back to pronated grip for the BOR anyway I think its better for the forarms as you said
    meant parallel by vertical lol sorry for that one
    you are awesome bro
    Parallel is actually best if you can do it on the BOR, but not everyone can, especially beginners. (I've found I'm a lot better at the exercise now that I can).

Originally Posted by DrakHarr View Post
    Parallel is actually best if you can do it on the BOR, but not everyone can, especially beginners. (I've found I'm a lot better at the exercise now that I can).
    i read that parallel targets the uperback and 45 degree targets the lats I will see if I can do parallel i will do one set 45 and one parallel or should I stick with one?

just came from the gym exercises felt really hard especially the OHP (10 reps week cycle 2) and the squat felt a little bit harder than always I dont think its because what you said that if someone cut too deep they will start missing reps on the 10 rep week cuz im still around 20 bodyfat and i ate today like every day exept i didnt get enough sleep last night but i dont think it was the reason. maybe i was just tired.
    I recorded some videos i will upload them as soon as possible and hope you tell me if my form is good
    one last thing
    sometimes in the SLDL I feel the tension in my right hams and nothing in my left like i dont feel any stretch
    it happens in some reps and when it happens somtimes thinking of activating the left hams help but sometimes not
    Last edited by Marwan4449; 11-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.

i read that parallel targets the uperback and 45 degree targets the lats I will see if I can do parallel i will do one set 45 and one parallel or should I stick with one?
    Stick with whatever one your are comfortable with. Its hard to progressive overload with just one set. You can alternate and have different angles each cycle if you want.

just came from the gym exercises felt really hard especially the OHP (10 reps week cycle 2) and the squat felt a little bit harder than always I dont think its because what you said that if someone cut too deep they will start missing reps on the 10 rep week cuz im still around 20 bodyfat and i ate today like every day exept i didnt get enough sleep last night but i dont think it was the reason. maybe i was just tired.
    I recorded some videos i will upload them as soon as possible and hope you tell me if my form is good
    one last thing
    sometimes in the SLDL I feel the tension in my right hams and nothing in my left like i dont feel any stretch
    it happens in some reps and when it happens somtimes thinking of activating the left hams help but sometimes not
    Unless you are twisting or moving the bar to one side to favor something, i dont see a problem. You will always have differences in stretch/speed/power in-between limbs, that is fine as long as they are getting exercised the same.

enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) enr33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nightanole,

how often is it acceptable to eat clean vs. dirty foods? While im attending college I have a fairly clean diet full of mostly clean staples such as chicken, rice, milk etc... but other times things dont go so smooth and I might end up gorging on a pizza or something else with not much nutritional value. Some of it may be a lack of control on my part but it usually happens when I have alot of school work to finish and I dont have time to find a healthy sit down meal. Other times I simply dont have access to all the clean foods I normally eat no matter how far in advance I plan.

-I guess honestly ive been doing somewhat of a dirty bulk lately. Since I started bulking/lifting again at the begining of October, would it be sensible to bulk until March or April and then go on a cut?

btw Im finally starting to see some change in my progress pics. I'll upload them when i finish this cycle.

-In addition, i keep struggling with completing the last set of bent over rows on heavy rep days.
    Starting Weight: 148lbs
    Texas Crew
    Self-Improvement Crew
    ************Misc Vigilante Crew - Social Network Justice Division (EST. AUG 2013)***********
    3x110x12 Bench
    3x200x12 Squat

Originally Posted by enr33 View Post
    nightanole,

how often is it acceptable to eat clean vs. dirty foods? While im attending college I have a fairly clean diet full of mostly clean staples such as chicken, rice, milk etc... but other times things dont go so smooth and I might end up gorging on a pizza or something else with not much nutritional value. Some of it may be a lack of control on my part but it usually happens when I have alot of school work to finish and I dont have time to find a healthy sit down meal. Other times I simply dont have access to all the clean foods I normally eat no matter how far in advance I plan.

-I guess honestly ive been doing somewhat of a dirty bulk lately. Since I started bulking/lifting again at the begining of October, would it be sensible to bulk until March or April and then go on a cut?

btw Im finally starting to see some change in my progress pics. I'll upload them when i finish this cycle.

-In addition, i keep struggling with completing the last set of bent over rows on heavy rep days.
    Average your calories over the week. Carbs anything goes, there are no bad carbs, it all gets converted to the same thing, and "speed" and GI doesnt matter unless you are eating pure carbs or pure protein or pure fat for a meal, once they are mixed all that bro crap goes out the window. The only thing you have to keep rudimentary track of is essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. They have to be averaged over 2-3 days since your body can not make them nor store them. Your current body fat quality reflects your past fatty acid profile you have been eating, so if it was ****, well that means the fat stored is also, so in worse case its only a fuel source, and not a building block or pieces needed for hormone production.

You dont have to eat chicken and potatoes and a shot of olive/coconut oil. However you do need to hit you mins so have several several sources of fats and proteins. You dont want 70% of your weekly calories from derivatives of cow milk and the rest from chicken/rice.

As a rule of thumb get half or less of your macros from one source. You dont want your 100g of protein from just chicken breasts, you dont want all your fats from just olive oil and butter.

You can perform off of pizza, cake, and beer just fine. You cant perform on a diet of just poptarts and whey powder

As for bulking and cutting, my rule is dont bulk higher than 25-33% of what you can cut at and still perform. If you can only cut at 1lb a week before lifts turn to ****, dont bulk at more than 1/3lb a week.

One question, night, since you recommended those heavy pendalays. Last cycle I could only do 2ish reps of 135, by the end of the cycle I could bang out 5 at 135. Today I upped it to 145.. and I banged out 5 (maybe 4 1/2, i'm not sure I hit my chest on the last rep, but if I had to guess, I think I did, or at least my shirt). I guess I should up it to 155, but that seems a bit fast considering the cut - or is it because 8 rep week is a deload so I have more strength by the end of the routine when I do these? (This might make some sense, since I usually hit them easier on medium/light days, even though I don't reduce the weight for this exercise). I guess I'm asking if I should up the heavy pendalays to 155... which is what I'm squatting.

Originally Posted by DrakHarr View Post
    One question, night, since you recommended those heavy pendalays. Last cycle I could only do 2ish reps of 135, by the end of the cycle I could bang out 5 at 135. Today I upped it to 145.. and I banged out 5 (maybe 4 1/2, i'm not sure I hit my chest on the last rep, but if I had to guess, I think I did, or at least my shirt). I guess I should up it to 155, but that seems a bit fast considering the cut - or is it because 8 rep week is a deload so I have more strength by the end of the routine when I do these? (This might make some sense, since I usually hit them easier on medium/light days, even though I don't reduce the weight for this exercise). I guess I'm asking if I should up the heavy pendalays to 155... which is what I'm squatting.
    Allpro math, 4 reps is 10%. You when from 1-2 to 5, and only upped it 7% ish. And you will adapt fast to these. As long as you are pulling hard from the floor and locking out, and not having the back move for momentum, keep upping the weight.

Ive had guys that could only row 80lbs for 8, get to 135 for sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest, 10 sets, in one cycle.

iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50) iamerm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is an Excel spreadsheet I made some time ago for allpro's routine. Just sharing in case someone finds it useful.
    Attached Files
    snooze button = enemy

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Allpro math, 4 reps is 10%. You when from 1-2 to 5, and only upped it 7% ish. And you will adapt fast to these. As long as you are pulling hard from the floor and locking out, and not having the back move for momentum, keep upping the weight.

Ive had guys that could only row 80lbs for 8, get to 135 for sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest, 10 sets, in one cycle.
    Yikes, sounds like my progress on them is lackluster. Better up it by at least another 10 lbs.

hey night I sent you a link to videos of me doing the exercises if you can check them that would be awesome
    I couldnt post here because I didnt reach 50 posts

hey night I sent you a link to videos of me doing the exercises if you can check them that would be awesome
    I couldnt post here because I didnt reach 50 posts
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7j...yG_EZoVXxJBClw

Squats:
    Bit of butt wink, but you are also going really low so it might not be a problem. Try sucking in air and then pushing your belly button into your spine with your abs. For the buttwink you might want to tune your depth by widening the stance so you only go 1-2" below parallel (hip crease is below top of knee). The reason for this is that unless you are training for a certain sport, going waaaay low reduces working weight, and its all glute below parallel, and we are hitting those with the SLDL.
    I do like the arm and elbow posistion of the bar, for extra tightness you might practice aiming your elbows at your tail bone at the bottom of the lift, it can help with upper back rounding when things get heavy.

OHP:
    lockout looks perfect. You are moving the weight a bit too far forward at the bottom, and you can see youself catching yourself from falling forward on some reps. Aim to rest the weight on your collar bone, you should need to move your head out of the way on way up.

ROW:
    Doesnt look right. It looks like you are just swinging the weight back and forth and not using the lats/biceps. I also see no shoulder blade movement/contraction. Maybe its just the angle...
    I would try bending over alittle more and hitting higher on the chest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE

Bench:
    Looks good, but a little loose. I think you are not bracing since its a light weight and you can get away with some inefficient bar paths. Like the guy im helping with the row, i would recommend slapping on another 20% to the bar and do 1-2 heavy reps as an accessory just so you can learn to brace/push hard/quality bar path. It shouldnt matter if you are working with 100lbs or 300lbs, the reps should look the same.

munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000)

If you slow rep it (not a good idea)
    Can you elaborate on this? I slow rep on bench, mainly because I seem to have issues in general with muscle activation, so I force myself to "squeeze" the pecs.

What is the ideal pace for reps?

Originally Posted by munichveteran View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? I slow rep on bench, mainly because I seem to have issues in general with muscle activation, so I force myself to "squeeze" the pecs.

What is the ideal pace for reps?
    Right now everyone is working with baby weight. They can get away with making lever arms by going too high or too low on the chest, pushing straight up instead of back to the unrack position, going slow, etc.

Letting the bar drift 5-10 degrees from under the elbow is like adding 5-10lbs to the bar. Right now your forearms can handle it.
    Pushing directly up instead of back to the unrack position is like adding 10% more weight to the bar.
    Not pushing hard of the chest means you will never have the momentum to get over the sticking point and lock out. 99% of unequipped have no problems locking out a weight.

If you get into a habit of not pushing hard off the chest in practice, you will use that same pattern in competition. By 2" off the chest your explosive power is done and its all out momentum carrying you to lockout. By 2" off the chest all the tension you wound up on the way down is gone.

Unrack it and get it to yourself braced and get it to your chest as quickly and controlled as possible. Pause for .5-1 second if you want to hit the chest more. Then push will all your might to get the weight going and lock out. Get the arms straight but if you can, dont lock the elbows (your locked elbow join is not getting all kinds of gains). rest and rebreath/brace at the top for a few seconds and then rep another one out. You should not look like a pogo stick for 20 seconds.

You are not getting muscle activation because you are not "squeezing" when you should. Pecs are for getting the weight going, they are just kinda along for the ride about half way through. You dont need to be "squeezing" at the top with a bar bell. Now if you are going wide grip on dumb bells because you hate your rotator cuff then you can use your pecs more...

Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phoenixfires is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I seem to be having back pain when I do bent over rows. I'm thinking about switching to Dumbbell rows. Do you guys think this is a bad idea?

Originally Posted by Phoenixfires View Post
    I seem to be having back pain when I do bent over rows. I'm thinking about switching to Dumbbell rows. Do you guys think this is a bad idea?
    Its fine as long as you do them palms down. I recommend the inverted row first. You can also switch them out for lat pulldowns or assisted chinups if you want to take the back completely out of the equation.

munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000) munichveteran is just really nice. (+1000)

You are not getting muscle activation because you are not "squeezing" when you should. Pecs are for getting the weight going, they are just kinda along for the ride about half way through. You dont need to be "squeezing" at the top with a bar bell. Now if you are going wide grip on dumb bells because you hate your rotator cuff then you can use your pecs more...
    I don't use the barbell because of persistent shoulder pain once I started to press 3x per week. I tried switching to dumbbells to see if it helped, and it seemed to at first, but I was lifting even lighter weights to focus on form. Now that I'm in cycle 2, and pressing 3x per week again, I'm starting to feel it in my shoulder again. I haven't quite nailed down the exact spot, as it radiates throughout my shoulder. I can't bring myself to go back to the doc for something else...I feel as if he should be on retainer at this point.

With my DB form, I try to keep my elbows about 30-45 degrees from my sides, so I don't think my grip is too wide. I keep my hands facing each other throughout the movement, because I read that eases stress on the shoulder joint, and I only go slightly passed parallel.

It doesn't necessarily feel bad when I bench, so I'm also trying to figure out if it's another exercise that's irritating it, like the chin ups, or the farmers walk, or even the cable row.

Unrelated...Nightanole...where does your knowledge come from? Did you immerse yourself in All Pro as a beginner and learned by doing? Or were you around before All Pro? Either way, the fact you share it so willingly and swiftly is pretty damn impressive. Respect to you.

I really appreciate your help man I couldnt have noticed these mistakes if I haven't recorded myself I knew something was wrong with how my butt moved in the squat video but couldnt know what it is and how to fix it
    Thanks alot man
    Should I add the extra 20% bench press exercise to this cycle or wait till next cycle and do I do it after my bench press or after I finish working out
    Tomorrow is my light day I will try to remember the hints
    And I think my forarms dont look vertical to the floor when the weight is on my chest(bench press)
    How do I fix that

Originally Posted by munichveteran View Post
    I don't use the barbell because of persistent shoulder pain once I started to press 3x per week. I tried switching to dumbbells to see if it helped, and it seemed to at first, but I was lifting even lighter weights to focus on form. Now that I'm in cycle 2, and pressing 3x per week again, I'm starting to feel it in my shoulder again. I haven't quite nailed down the exact spot, as it radiates throughout my shoulder. I can't bring myself to go back to the doc for something else...I feel as if he should be on retainer at this point.

With my DB form, I try to keep my elbows about 30-45 degrees from my sides, so I don't think my grip is too wide. I keep my hands facing each other throughout the movement, because I read that eases stress on the shoulder joint, and I only go slightly passed parallel.

It doesn't necessarily feel bad when I bench, so I'm also trying to figure out if it's another exercise that's irritating it, like the chin ups, or the farmers walk, or even the cable row.

Unrelated...Nightanole...where does your knowledge come from? Did you immerse yourself in All Pro as a beginner and learned by doing? Or were you around before All Pro? Either way, the fact you share it so willingly and swiftly is pretty damn impressive. Respect to you.
    I think we might have stumbled onto something. You are changing direction mid hindge which can cause some problems since the joint is the weakest when it is half way open.

I would keep the hammer grip, narrow the grip, and maybe switch to floor press instead of stopping at that location. The closer the elbow is to the body the easier its going to be on the shoulder joint. You also might want to double check you are not trying to shoulder the weight up, your shoulder should be pinned to the mat. For some once they get tired they start lifting the shoulder off the mat, and that just tears stuff up.

I started getting back into the game around 2006. I developed a trace element allergy that caused me to drop down to 137lbs and have a 35" waist at 5.10. Allpro and other precalculated programs have been around since the 1960s. I picked allpro in 2012ish because i hate long rests, and monthly resets of most beginner programs.

I really appreciate your help man I couldnt have noticed these mistakes if I haven't recorded myself I knew something was wrong with how my butt moved in the squat video but couldnt know what it is and how to fix it
    Thanks alot man
    Should I add the extra 20% bench press exercise to this cycle or wait till next cycle and do I do it after my bench press or after I finish working out
    Tomorrow is my light day I will try to remember the hints
    And I think my forarms dont look vertical to the floor when the weight is on my chest(bench press)
    How do I fix that
    the 20% is an accessory lift, and accessories are always done after the main workout. You are aiming to just get in a few reps so you can learn to brace and it can carry over to your real bench. You are working with 8-12 reps, adding 20% will knock you down to 2-3. I would add 1 rep per workout this cycle and see how it goes. If that is enough to tighten everything up, you can stop doing them. Its just a fix till you learn to brace properly.

Forearms should always be perpendicular to the floor. That is the problem, you are using such a light weight that you can have your forearms at an angle and still move the weight. With another 20% on the bar you will realize right away that if the wrist is not directly parallel with the elbow its going to feel dam heavy. I think you are trying to favor the weight closer to your head, instead of trying to hit the bar below the nipple at chest level. The bench is an elliptical bar path, over shoulder and then below nipple. Beginners will try to make the barpath straight in one form or another. Some just flare the eblows and keep the bar directly over the shoulders, some hit the spot right on the chest but then push directly up, you are somewhere inbetween and are using the forearm tilt so you dont have to move the bar so far down your chest.

Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100)
    Can I superset these excercises? Preferably 2 of them at a time, calves being last since it'll be alone. Or will supersetting all of them give me results as well? ... I'm currently on a cut, but I'm a noob so I'm hoping this will give me some noticeable gains.

Originally Posted by Road2bBeast View Post
    Can I superset these excercises? Preferably 2 of them at a time, calves being last since it'll be alone. Or will supersetting all of them give me results as well? ... I'm currently on a cut, but I'm a noob so I'm hoping this will give me some noticeable gains.
    I would not... it already has a short rest time (1 minute 30 seconds is VERY short for compound lifts), and as you gain in the weights you'll tire very quickly. The only thing you could possibly superset would be calf raises and bicep curls, since they are isolation. And yeah, you can make good gains on a cut here, glad ya found the topic okay

Duzco2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay so I've pretty much lifted on and off these past couple of years. Nothing really serious and I've never stuck with it. But I'm really looking to stick this out and finally start to get into lifting. So, I'm also a cross country runner and I've ran a couple marathons along with a ton of road races. I know this might be a a dumb question but I have no idea to be honest. Even though my body is accustomed to 35-40 miles a week on average will this put a big dent in my lifting progress?

Originally Posted by Duzco2 View Post
    Okay so I've pretty much lifted on and off these past couple of years. Nothing really serious and I've never stuck with it. But I'm really looking to stick this out and finally start to get into lifting. So, I'm also a cross country runner and I've ran a couple marathons along with a ton of road races. I know this might be a a dumb question but I have no idea to be honest. Even though my body is accustomed to 35-40 miles a week on average will this put a big dent in my lifting progress?
    Not as long as you account for calories. The recommended cardio is up to 3 10k jogs (1 hour +) per week.

Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100) Road2bBeast is not very well liked. (-100)
    Approximately how many calories are being burned upon completion of 1 full day of the workout?

I'm currently cutting, and I wana see how much extra food I can sneak in since I'm always starving

Closed Thread