AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Tips on selecting a workout program

Dear Community,

I've joined recently the website but i've been struggling on finding a workout schedule.

My questions is with the exception of goal what other criteria do you consider when picking a schedule?

and how do you compare the workouts out there. For example one of my main questions is how to compare between workout with single muscle group per day compared to mixed workout with 2 muscle group or a whole body workout.

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take into account your experience level. Remember that you always want to do the bare minimum in order to grow because over time you'll need to progressively do more (essentially)
    advertising not permitted

dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AlexiosD View Post
    Dear Community,

I've joined recently the website but i've been struggling on finding a workout schedule.

My questions is with the exception of goal what other criteria do you consider when picking a schedule?

and how do you compare the workouts out there. For example one of my main questions is how to compare between workout with single muscle group per day compared to mixed workout with 2 muscle group or a whole body workout.
    How long have you been lifting? How much can you currently lift on the 3 main ones, bench, deadlift, and squat?

Fierce 5 Comprehensive thread, has workout routines for beginners to advanced lifters. Might want to check that one out.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=162916931

If you have just started lifting, or have been, but with no real good workout programming, go with a Novice full body routine. Beginners benefit from frequency, and quicker progression since their bodies are able to recover rather quickly, and can put weight on the bar pretty much every week. Once you are unable to do that, then you switch to an intermediate routine that has slightly slower progression, and a bigger selection of lifts, and less frequency. From 3 days a week per muscle, to 2 days a week.
    Current Program: 5-3-1
    e1RMs:
    D: 295 S: 275 B: 250 Press: 115

Burst/Wedge fracture L1 May 3, 2013 - no surgery
    Medial and Lateral Collateral Ligament tears right elbow March 2014
    - All Non-lifting related injuries -

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your experience level is what primarily should determine what type of routine you choose. Other things, such as time, physical circumstances, and what makes you happy also matter, but if the routine is way beyond your level or you're more advanced than the program you're doing, then you're wasting time.

Novices are weak. Full body routines are well suited for them because they will recover quickly and make gains 3 times a week instead of 1-2 times a week. That being said, some novices hate the monotony of doing the same A/B routine week after week. I would suggest they look for a different kind of fb routine like I hate 5x5 novice routine one of the New Rules for Lifting Books.

Intermediates need more volume and can't grow as quickly, typically making gains once a week. They may want an upper/lower or an intermediate full body routine like Texas Method, depending on their goals/time constraints etc.

Advanced lifters can only grow once a month, and they will need careful planning to make sure they grow each month and don't waste time going no where. Instead of doing an upper/lower, they may want a ULPPL, PPL, or a bro split.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post

Advanced lifters can only grow once a month, and they will need careful planning to make sure they grow each month and don't waste time going no where. Instead of doing an upper/lower, they may want a ULPPL, PPL, or a bro split.
    So how do i know which day of the month i will grow?

TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheViking1992 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Does the author actually know what he is talking about, or is he just spewing the latest buzzwords to get attention? Do I agree with the concepts and ideologies behind the program? Does the author actually practice what he preaches, and does he have the results to show

Those are the main things I consider, when choosing a program.

klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) klaximilian is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dear Community,

Experience level, goals (aesthetics, strength, performance), schedule, personal preference, and injury history (may need to slightly tweak to work around)
    Snapchat/Instagram: Mimsthe3rd

T/K Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168429013

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Picking the right one requires research on your part. Given that you're going to pick an expert written routine it rules out a lot of need for that, but some is still required.

I'd start be reading a sticky thread at the top of this forum called "full body vs split routines...." It will help you identify what type of program to choose from. At that point you can significantly narrow down you search.

I'd then spend half an hour reading other people's threads in this section. You'll quickly identify that everyone at the same level is given the same advice as far as what routine to use. There are always several to choose from, but any that are repeatedly suggested are good choices.
    Experience, not just theory

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Intermediates need more volume and can't grow as quickly, typically making gains once a week.
    Advanced lifters can only grow once a month, and they will need careful planning to make sure they grow each month and don't waste time going no where.
    ??? Intermediates make "gains" once per week??

Advanced lifters only grow once a month???

Muscle hypertrophy is accumulative. It doesn't happen once a day, week, or month. Our bodies are in a constant state of flux
    advertising not permitted

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NaturalPursuit View Post
    ??? Intermediates make "gains" once per week??

Advanced lifters only grow once a month???

Muscle hypertrophy is accumulative. It doesn't happen once a day, week, or month. Our bodies are in a constant state of flux
    I know it's not clockwork, but what I meant was that overall one's progression slows the more advanced you are. In an intermediate routine, you're often adding weight per week instead of per session, like how Texas Method has you do a 3RM every Friday instead of just adding weight each session like in Starting Strength, and advanced routines are even slower, often per month.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Dear Community,

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139911893

One other factor that might be overlooked is whether or not you have any medical limitations as directed by your doctor.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlexiosD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you all for your tips, i will start with the fierce 5 novice and hopefully it all works out well.

LSLindsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your experience level is what primarily should determine what type of routine you choose. Other things, such as time, physical circumstances, and what makes you happy also matter, but if the routine is way beyond your level or you're more advanced than the program you're doing, then you're wasting time.

Novices are weak. Full body routines are well suited for them because they will recover quickly and make gains 3 times a week instead of 1-2 times a week. That being said, some novices hate the monotony of doing the same A/B routine week after week. I would suggest they look for a different kind of fb routine like I hate 5x5 novice routine one of the New Rules for Lifting Books.

Intermediates need more volume and can't grow as quickly, typically making gains once a week. They may want an upper/lower or an intermediate full body routine like Texas Method, depending on their goals/time constraints etc.

I totally agree with this answer as your experience determine your working routine and schedule.

jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50) jakecork will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As everyone else says - comes down to experience in the gym and then what you are looking to get out of it, also fitting it around your daily lifestyle of what suits you.
    Instagram: jake_cork
    Twitter: __Corky

moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000) moss903 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    looks good 3 times a week

Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100) Jeremy19969 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I like to change up my schedule whenever I get bored or stop seeing progress... Just pick one, (5 day split, push/pull, german volume) and work from there.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jeremy19969 View Post
    I like to change up my schedule whenever I get bored or stop seeing progress... Just pick one, (5 day split, push/pull, german volume) and work from there.
    Check thread dates before responding, this is 4 years old.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover