Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz

Am I too old to be a fighter (PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST THIS QUESTION).

Over the years, there has been a LOT of post asking the very question...."am I too old to be a fighter (or start training)?"

First off, when you ask this question, you're going to have people throw out the name Randy Couture. Who, unless you're completely new to the sport of MMA is KNOWN to be someone who held the UFC HW title into his mid 40s and competed at a high level for several years later (although, not as successfully).
    In Randy's first MMA fight, he was 34 years old. Sounds like he started training at a very late age, right?
    Well, fact of the matter is that by the time Randy was in his mid 20s, he'd already been an Olympic Alternative in Wrestling. From there he went on to achieve several other major achievements in Wrestling. So....Randy didn't just start training at 30 and then transitioned into MMA. He'd already had at least a decade of training with a SOLID foundation in Wrestling as well as doing some boxing in the Military.
    So when you ask, "am I too old" and someone says "Uh, look at Randy Couture"....Please realize the WHOLE picture. Same with other "older" generation fighters – always keep the entire picture in mind - Not just the age of the fighters. Chances are VERY likely that they’ve migrated from being active in another combat sport for many years before transitioning into MMA.

Second thing - "Am I too old to start training or being a fighter" - It's a very subjective question with several variables that come into play.

1. What’s your age currently?
    2. Do you have a background in ANY combat sports?
    3. Do you have an athletic background at all?
    4. What level of "fighter" do you want to be?
    5. Is this going to be a hobby or do you want to make money doing this?
    6. How much time do you have to dedicate to the training it takes to actually fight? There is nothing wrong if the answer here is “no”. If you’ve not trained before, I promise you the realization of the prep time to fight will catch you off guard.

These are questions you have to answer and figure out for yourself. No one on any web site is going to be able to answer these types of questions for you.

Regardless of what you answer to the self-evaluating questions above, the biggest thing you are going to hear people say is this.
    - If you want to train to get the exercise or just to enjoy the sport…..do it. Don’t worry about your age.
    - If you want to train to do some Amateur Fights, the younger you start the better…but…do it if you want. Don’t worry about your age.
    - If you want to be a professional fighter and do some regional fights, again the younger you start the better, but as you approach your 30s, keep in mind it’s going to be a harder drive to be successful….but…do it if you want.
    - If you want to fight for a larger promotion like the UFC or Bellator, I think the most optimal thing would be if you had wrestled in High School and started some type of legitimate striking art as early as possible. Kids are training younger and younger these days….and while MMA is still a new sport compared to others, the chances of making it to a large org is only going to get harder….but….do it if you want.

Do you see the common trend with all of these? “Do it if you want”. If you love the sport, enjoy the physical chess game of it, don’t mind (or can tolerate) being punched in the face and you just WANT to train….DO IT.
    You’re not too old to train. You may have old injuries you have to deal with as you get older….but to train? Crap man, if you have the time, money for training, and think you’ll enjoy it…. just go do it.

Yes, there is probably a threshold you will physically hit where you are not in YOUR prime any more….but that doesn’t mean that you can’t train and fight. Who knows…you may be one of those guys who CAN stay competitive into your late 30s/40s…..but you know what? You won’t know unless you get up off your butt and quit asking “am I too old”........

Last edited by cgc; 09-09-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    just do it, srs

A million miles away - I don't.. feel.... anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXGZu4yxjW0

KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KazBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Strong mod.

Last edited by KazBrah; 09-07-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gainzzz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    we need more misc fighters, srs.

moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodyhank is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You have to be very gifted.

zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) zhengterry has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    in !

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Gainzzz View Post
    we need more misc fighters, srs.
    Ive had a few.

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KazBrah View Post
    Strong mod.

Thanks man.

High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) High4Lyf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chucksmanhood View Post
    Ive had a few.
    lost it
    ''The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights.'' - Muhammad Ali

“Cus was a strong believer that in your mind you had to be the entity you wanted to be. If you wanted to be heavyweight champion of the world, you had to start living the life of a heavyweight champion…- iron mike

"'No' doesn't mean no, 'no' means work on the neck, the nipples, try back in five minutes" - a wise man

Originally Posted by High4Lyf View Post
    lost it
    ???

olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) olbigfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    CGC for Prez.

Originally Posted by olbigfish View Post
    CGC for Prez.
    No.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chucksmanhood View Post
    No.
    If I hadn't banned you so many times I'd pick you for VP. Does that make it better?
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Will vote for CGC in a presidential race.

AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AverageBro96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah Randy Couture was a beast but your never too old to do something u love.
    This may seem random but it would be cool if u guys could share my go fund page, thanks! gofundme.com/fc5x9kpg

Originally Posted by AverageBro96 View Post
    Yeah Randy Couture was a beast but your never too old to do something u love.
    This may seem random but it would be cool if u guys could share my go fund page, thanks! gofundme.com/fc5x9kpg
    Go fuk yourself, cocksucker.

Trainingtymez1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is my take on it. I competed in knockdown karate when I was a kid 8-10 years old. Played basketball/baseball until 15 years old. wrestled a year in highschool and did well. took up boxing when I went to a continuation school. Did well in that to (only amateurs)- didn't do too much after 19. 2.5 years later I took up judo. competed in several tournaments and did well. I get compliments on my athleticism/physical abilities... but have you noticed a pattern? I would stop training for periods at a time due to struggles in life. Physically, I have/had all the capabilities to do well in any combat sport I have entered but I lacked the discipline to stick with it when life interferes. That's the first step is realizing if someone is mentally tough to be able to handle the life style when life hits hard.

Also, there will always be big sacrifices when wanting to make it to an elite level of any sport.

terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) terminotic45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Intece bro if you ever want a grappling buddy hit me up

tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100) tnway is not very well liked. (-100)
    true

Tony Danza cuts in line Mudshovel's Avatar
    Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mudshovel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I plan on doing BJJ soon and I am 29. In now way will I bet that guy who thinks he knows anything about the fight game. I just want to learn. Should be a fun experience.

jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jjmcwill is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Agreed, you cant use couture as your motivation for starting mma late in life. He was an elite wrestler. He already had the understanding of sound cardio and pacing of a fight. Not only that this guy regularly ran marathons. You cant get off of your lazy ass at 34 years old and expect to compete at a high level in MMA. Its a good way to get yourself seriously hurt.

SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SalarMohsenian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No one is too old.

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't start boxing until I was 30.. 36 now. I've been training this whole time and even had two clubs fights through the Park Districts here in Chicago.

I didn't go into it thinking that I was going to be a pro or the next great thing. I did it because it was a challenge. Now in the best shape of my life. I even train people now.

ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ens189 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I took my first fight at 29 with no previous striking experience but a fairly competent grappling background. Did a four month kickboxing camp and won with a second round TKO. Focus on rounding out your skills and you'll do fine at the amateur level.

keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50) keydenyap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SalarMohsenian View Post
    No one is too old.
    agree!

Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice post, reflected a lot on my past and my genetics, ability to adapt and copycat (bruce lee - take whats useful, reject whats useless, add whats specifically your own)

I am going to start training seriously and aim for the skies
    You don't need a reason to help people.
    RIP Zyzz & Greg Plitt, my two biggest inspirations.

peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100) peeskekun is not very well liked. (-100)
    do it!!

Registered User SleeveStretchin's Avatar
    SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000) SleeveStretchin is just really nice. (+1000)
    whats up community!
    just found this part of the forums!

NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinjaNoir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    28. 5'11, 175. White belt BJJ. Anderson Silva/Jon Jones body type. Won an amateur cage match standing up with no formal striking training. I have Samurai spirit and I am very athletic. I think by training hard I can compete in the UFC in 8-10 years. Evene if its a very short career. What do you all think?
    Arsenal F.C.

MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NinjaNoir View Post
    28. 5'11, 175. White belt BJJ. Anderson Silva/Jon Jones body type. Won an amateur cage match standing up with no formal striking training. I have Samurai spirit and I am very athletic. I think by training hard I can compete in the UFC in 8-10 years. Evene if its a very short career. What do you all think?
    Keep hope alive.
    🎄Mods changed my sig. ™Copyright ©2003 - 2005- 2017. All Rights Reserved. Uncle penis™ is a registered trademark of MinisterOfLust.