fresh59 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question for those who've experienced palpitations with protein powders

First, let me say that I've done some reading on the subject. I know that most people have no problem with protein powders. I've read plenty of replies from those people who love to insist that the issues people experience are related to anything and everything except the protein powder in their shake. Sorry, but you aren't the people I'm looking to hear from.

I want to get some feedback from people who have had issues with protein powders in the past.

Also, I am not looking for "Brand X is better than Brand Y." Instead, I want to learn what INGREDIENTS cause the symptoms so I can learn what to look for and what to avoid.

The powder I used was a whey protein blend with creatine, taurine, leucine, L-glutamine, isoleucine and valine.

The symptoms:
    Heart palpitations within 30 minutes of drinking a single-scoop (26g protein) shake and super nasty urinary tract infection after a week of drinking one shake a day.

Please note:
    The palpitations I experienced were NOT indigestion. I have NO issues with lactose intolerance. I have been drinking plenty of water, so dehydration was NOT an issue. I do NOT have heart problems such as murmers, etc. I have NO history of kidney disease. I have NO problems with soy. I have NO issues with large amounts of protein from chicken (except that I feel stuffed all day).

I am absolutely sure that the problems I had were caused by something in the protein powder and I am hesitant to try another brand until I can figure out what ingredient I'm having issues with.

Also note:
    I have a low tolerance to caffeine and other "speed"-like products such as Sudafed (anti-histamine), though I could find NO indication of any caffeine in the protein powder.

For those of you who had problems, did you ...
    switch to a creatine free protein powder?
    switch to a 100% whey isolate powder?
    switch to a protein powder without XXXX, YYYY or ZZZZ?
    cut out protein powder all together?

I know I've seen posts from others on this forum who have had problems, so I'm bumping this thread in hopes that it catches their eye.

I would love to know how others dealt with this problem and if they were able to isolate the ingredient in the protein powder (protein, creatine, etc.) that caused the palpitations.

Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    assuming the product you have taken is a legitimate brand, and the ingredients are correct. I doubt the protein itself would cause this issue if consumption of a glass of milk did not cause the same issue. I have never heard of a creatine allergy, but maybe you have one? (if even possible). The amino acids shouldn't cause a problem either. What was the brand?

exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exelixis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Taurine?

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Years ago I bought a case of MRP's from GNC (I know, I know). Anyway, I had a bad reaction to them, thought it was in my head but it only happened when I took the MRP. If I remember, there was something like a "phenylblahblahblah" in the ingredients. That might lead you in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply, guys.

The ingredients list on my protein powder is:
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Taurine
    L-Glutamine
    Leucine
    Isolecucine
    Valine
    Maltodextrin
    Natural and artificial flavors
    Beet juice
    Color
    Soy lethicin
    Acesulfame potassium
    Cellulose Gum
    Sucralose

There is also a "Typical Amino Acid Profile" list that includes:

Essential Amino Acids
    Histidine
    Isoleucine
    Lysine
    Methionine
    Phenylalanine (probably what Swamp Dog was referring to. Is this something that would not be included in all powders?)
    Threonine
    Tryptophan
    Valine

Non-Essential Amino Acids
    Alanine
    Arginine
    Aspartic Acid
    Cysteine
    Glutamic Acid
    Glycine
    Proline
    Serine
    Tyrosine

The brand is Body Fortress (from Walmart). I was hesitant to mention the brand because I've noticed some people having similar issues with other brands, including EAS; PVL and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (the latter which I thought was supposed to be the powder used by whey purists). I was going to include links to these conversations, but I got a message saying that I don't have enough posts to post a link.

brettfrable is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Its aspartame / sucralose.

Anything with aspartame or sucralose has caused me heart palpitations.

Originally Posted by fresh59 View Post

Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Taurine
    L-Glutamine
    Leucine
    Isolecucine
    Valine
    Maltodextrin
    Beet juice
    Color
    Soy lethicin
    Acesulfame potassium
    Cellulose Gum
    Sucralose

Essential Amino Acids
    Histidine
    Isoleucine
    Lysine
    Methionine
    Phenylalanine (probably what Swamp Dog was referring to. Is this something that would not be included in all powders?)
    Threonine
    Tryptophan
    Valine

Alanine
    Arginine
    Aspartic Acid
    Cysteine
    Glutamic Acid
    Glycine
    Proline
    Serine
    Tyrosine

The brand is Body Fortress (from Walmart). I was hesitant to mention the brand because I've noticed some people having similar issues with other brands, including EAS; PVL and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (the latter which I thought was supposed to be the powder used by whey purists). I was going to include links to these conversations, but I got a message saying that I don't have enough posts to post a link.

FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by brettfrable View Post
    Anything with aspartame or sucralose has caused me heart palpitations.
    In your unscientific opinion, and not confirmed by a doctor

Originally Posted by fresh59 View Post

Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Taurine
    L-Glutamine
    Leucine
    Isolecucine
    Valine
    Maltodextrin
    Beet juice
    Color
    Soy lethicin
    Acesulfame potassium
    Cellulose Gum
    Sucralose

Essential Amino Acids
    Histidine
    Isoleucine
    Lysine
    Methionine
    Threonine
    Tryptophan
    Valine

Alanine
    Arginine
    Aspartic Acid
    Cysteine
    Glutamic Acid
    Glycine
    Proline
    Serine
    Tyrosine

Originally Posted by FoxtrotSierra View Post
    Wow, you're definitely a douchebag. If you have 10,000 dollars, I'll be happy to meet you in person, hook myself up to a heart monitor before, ingest some aspartame, and let you watch the monitor after. If nothing happens, I'll hand you 10,000 in cash. Up for it?

Oh here is my medical presentation of what happens when I consume aspartame.

imgur . com/a/BoFLf54

posted this way so I could share a link. let me know if your brain can figure out how to access it.

FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000) FoxtrotSierra is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by brettfrable View Post
    Oh here is my medical presentation of what happens when I consume aspartame.

imgur . com/a/BoFLf54

posted this way so I could share a link. let me know if your brain can figure out how to access it.
    There's a good chance you, personally, along with a small percentage of the population, are sensitive or allergic.

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    N=1 is legit
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    tHe SuGAr caUSed mY hEarT iSSueS
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners