Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I found this very inspiring post on BB.com, posted by a bodybuilder who is also an amputee. Quite an inspiring story.

He had a video Q&A session a couple of weeks back, and I posted a question. He actually included an answer to my question.

A very cool guy, a very strong spirit.
    Take a look at this dude, and tell me if he isn’t the greatest inspiration you’ve seen on here.

You can see the entire thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...8101323&page=1

My question to him was two-fold:
    “How do you deal with those things that cannot be changed?
    How do you keep on keeping on, knowing that some things cannot be changed, no matter what?”

If you get a chance, drop by his thread and encourage him.
    In the end, you might discover that it is actually him that encourages you ☺

Here's the video:

NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NoCarbsNoSugar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Daily Food & Exercise Log

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

No Intermittent Fasting - Ate Freely Throughout The Day

Meals

Raw Food:
    Blueberries • Romaine Lettuce • Tomatoes

Cooked/Processed Food:
    Cottage Cheese • Kirkland Greek Yogurt • Parmesan Cheese
    Ranch Dressing • Baked Chicken Breast • Kirkland Canola Oil
    Fried Eggs • Sausage Links

Supplements:
    Bayers One-A-Day • C4 Pre-Workout • Protein Powder

Daily Totals:
    C:1919 F:60g Cbs:70g Sg:43g P:192g

Exercise
    Lifting Routine

Comments
    Almost out of the blueberries I bought at the farm, back in August
    Thanks for reading my log

Training for an iron butt Icepray's Avatar
    Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Icepray is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great log man, I'll be following this and thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it
    Follow my vlog on my journey as an Amputee !
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/icepray
    Instagram: Icepray
    ********: www.********.com/ampuvation

Originally Posted by Icepray View Post
    Great log man, I'll be following this and thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it
    Thank you very much, and you're welcome!
    Thanks for stopping by

Book Review

"Wheat Belly"
    Author: Dr. Williams Davis, M.D.

Chapter 2
    NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S MUFFINS: THE CREATION OF MODERN WHEAT

Main ideas:

• wheat has become an everyday ingredient in the American diet

• supermarkets are packed with wheat products – author measured the bread isle at the local market: 68 feet long

• by far among the most consumed grain on earth: 20% of all calories consumed

• a financial giant

• MAIN ARGUMENT: this grain that everyone is using has turned on us: “it is not the same grain our forebears ground into their daily bread” (p.41)

• MAIN PROBLEM: wheat “has changed dramatically in the past fifty years under the influence of agricultural scientists” (p.41)

• SECOND HALF OF 20TH CENTURY: genetic changes have been made to wheat, in order to make it more resistant to environmental conditions, and especially to increase yield per acre: “American farm is more than tenfold greater than farms of a century ago” (p.41)

• SCRIPTURE refers to bread as a blessing: “Give us today our daily bread” (Christ), “a land of wheat and barley” (Moses). In the Bible, bread is seen as a blessing, a sign of prosperity, and it is also a symbol of unity. Christ calls himself “the Bread of life”. Other religions use the same symbolism as well.

• The problem with that, the author argues, is that: “today’s bread bears little resemblance to the loaves that emerged from our forebears’ ovens” (p.44)

• Today, there are at least 25,000 wheat varieties, all of them resulting from human intervention

• In the Pleistocene period (cca. 8500 B.C.) the Natufians consumed wheat products that were quite different than today – because the wheat itself was quite different: the wheat of ancient times is called EINKORN.

• Wheat went through small and steady changes throughout the centuries. However, drastic changes only occurred in the 2nd half of the 20th century, and was caused by human tinkering with genetic experiments: “The result: A loaf of bread, biscuit, or pancake of today is different than its counterpart of a thousand years ago, different even from what our grandmothers made. They might look the same, even taste much the same, but there are biochemical differences. Small changes in wheat protein structure can spell the difference between a devastating immune response to wheat protein versus no immune response at all” (p.49)

• “Elisheva Rogosa is not only a science teacher but an organic farmer, advocate of sustainable agriculture, and founder of the Heritage Wheat Conservancy (www.growseed.org)”. She cultivates ancient varieties of Einkorn.

• upon eating bread made of this Einkorn, the author describes it as “rich, subtle, with more complex flavor, unlike bread made from modern wheat flour, which she (Rogosa) claimed tasted like cardboard” (p.56)

• “Eli bristles at the suggestion that wheat products might be unhealthy, citing instead the yield-increasing, profit-expanding agricultural practices of the past few decades as the source of adverse health effects of wheat. She views einkorn and emmer as the solution, restoring the original grasses, grown under organic conditions, to replace modern industrial wheat” (p.56)

• The wheat we grow and eat today is “the product of breeding to generate greater yield and characteristics such as disease, drought, and heat resistance” (p.58)

• “In fact, wheat has been modified by humans to such a degree that modern strains are unable to survive in the wild without human support such as nitrate fertilization and pest control. Imagine this bizarre situation in the world of domesticated animals: an animal able to exist only with human assistance, such as special feed, or else it would die” (p.57)

• Two main reasons for humans trying to alter wheat: resistance to weather and disease, and increased production.

• Two main reasons for seeking increased production: increased profitability, increased ability to feed hungry nations.

• Shorter, “dwarf wheat” allows for larger kernels and seeds, thus producing more crops.

• “University of Minnesota-trained geneticist Norman Borlaug, working at IMWIC, is credited with developing the exceptionally high-yielding dwarf wheat that was shorter and stockier, allowing the plant to maintain erect posture and resist buckling under the large seed head. Tall stalks are also inefficient; short stalks reach maturity more quickly, which means a shorter growing season with less fertilizer required to generate the otherwise useless stalk” (p.61-62)

• Dr. Borlaug was called the “Father Of The Green Revolution”. He was granted the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Gold Medal, and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970.

• “His high-yield dwarf wheat did indeed help solve world hunger, with the wheat crop yield in China, for example, increasing eightfold from 1961 to 1999” (p.62)

• “According to Allan Fritz, PhD, professor of wheat breeding at Kansas State University, dwarf and semi-dwarf wheat now comprise more than 99 percent of all wheat grown worldwide” (p.63)

• Why is this a problem? How did this create a problem? ALL THESE GENETIC CHANGES TO WHEAT WENT UNCHALLENGED, BECAUSE OF THE FINANCIAL AND THE CHARITABLE BENEFITS.

• the new strain of wheat is quite different. Dr. Williams made an experiment to compare bread made out of Einkorn and bread made of modern wheat. Blood sugar at the start was84 mg/dl. and after consuming einkorn bread it went up to 110 mg/dl. In comparison, with the blood sugar at the start being 84 mg/dl. blood sugar raised to 167 mg/dl, after consuming conventional bread.

Closing Paragraphs:

“As a result, over the past fifty years, thousands of new strains have made it to the human commercial food supply without a single effort at safety testing” (p.73)

“Modern wheat, despite all the genetic alterations to modify hundreds, if not thousands, of its genetically determined characteristics, made its way to the worldwide human food supply with nary a question surrounding its suitability for human consumption” (p.73)

For about two weeks now, I have developed a sort of intermittent back pain (muscle). It is on the left side of my middle back.

It sometimes occurs when I am simply standing at the counter top and chopping veggies, or when I wash dishes in the sink.

It is intermittent though, and seems to come and go unaffected by any effort I make.

Almost every time, the pain goes away by itself in 1-2 minutes. Also, it always goes away if I massage it gently, or if I stretch a little bit.

I am almost positive this is do to my lifting, and especially since the pain has began when I added squats and stiffed-leg bends to my lifting routine, 2-3 weeks ago.

I have a few options:

• Change nothing (unlikely choice)
    • Replace the two mentioned exercises, or remove them
    • Change to a body-only routine for a while
    • Take a break from lifting for 1-2 weeks and see what happens

A couple months ago, something similar happened. I had shoulder pain, but it only occurred while lifting. As soon as I replaced a certain exercise that I knew was the cause, the pain was gone within just a few days.

I am hoping the same can be done in this instance.
    Thank you in advance for any advice regarding this.

Creating bodily entropy. Gen1GT's Avatar
    Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gen1GT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NoCarbsNoSugar View Post
    For about two weeks now, I have developed a sort of intermittent back pain (muscle). It is on the left side of my middle back.

It sometimes occurs when I am simply standing at the counter top and chopping veggies, or when I wash dishes in the sink.

It is intermittent though, and seems to come and go unaffected by any effort I make.

Almost every time, the pain goes away by itself in 1-2 minutes. Also, it always goes away if I massage it gently, or if I stretch a little bit.

I am almost positive this is do to my lifting, and especially since the pain has began when I added squats and stiffed-leg bends to my lifting routine, 2-3 weeks ago.

I have a few options:

• Change nothing (unlikely choice)
    • Replace the two mentioned exercises, or remove them
    • Change to a body-only routine for a while
    • Take a break from lifting for 1-2 weeks and see what happens

A couple months ago, something similar happened. I had shoulder pain, but it only occurred while lifting. As soon as I replaced a certain exercise that I knew was the cause, the pain was gone within just a few days.

I am hoping the same can be done in this instance.
    Thank you in advance for any advice regarding this.
    First on all .. IN!

Secondly, I've got chronic back pain that's currently bothering me. I can go years with no trouble, then it bugs me for a few months. Hopefully it doesn't cause any concern with your training.
    286 lbs - March 11, 2019 (started Keto)
    261 lbs - May 23, 2019

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Maybe body weight for those two exercises for a bit. Maybe you added weight too soon. I am a firm believer on being active even when injured just too work the muscles and to get blood flowing to the areas that need healing. Of coarse don't do anything that causes pain. Does your back hurt when you are doing those two exercises or just after?

A good stretching routine can do wonders. It is something that I am going to incorporate on the days when I don't lift because I am old. Also a foam roller can be a godsend those muscles in the back, and glutes. Google back stretches. Also could have nothing to do with your back, could be tight glutes. I get back pain when my glutes or hammies are tight.
    *Trying to stay sane and get back to avi status.

Originally Posted by Gen1GT View Post
    First on all .. IN!

Secondly, I've got chronic back pain that's currently bothering me. I can go years with no trouble, then it bugs me for a few months. Hopefully it doesn't cause any concern with your training.
    Thanks for dropping by, and for following my log.

The back pain is intermittent. I will go for hours with no pain, and then it will come out of nowhere, for no apparent reason. The last thing I want is for this to turn into being chronic...

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by phoenix4444 View Post
    Maybe body weight for those two exercises for a bit. Maybe you added weight too soon. I am a firm believer on being active even when injured just too work the muscles and to get blood flowing to the areas that need healing. Of coarse don't do anything that causes pain. Does your back hurt when you are doing those two exercises or just after?

A good stretching routine can do wonders. It is something that I am going to incorporate on the days when I don't lift because I am old. Also a foam roller can be a godsend those muscles in the back, and glutes. Google back stretches. Also could have nothing to do with your back, could be tight glutes. I get back pain when my glutes or hammies are tight.
    Yeah, not even considering stopping exercise.
    I am starting to enjoy body/lifting exercises (almost) as much as I enjoy walking and outdoor biking.

I will consider replacing those exercises, or perhaps just doing them with no weight added.
    It is possible that I added weight too soon, as you mentioned, especially since I did not do squats nor stiff-legged bends before.

My next lifting day is tomorrow (Fri) so I have a little bit of time to figure it out.
    Thanks for the input.

From The Health Dictionary

Achilles’ tendon:

A band of connective tissue that connects the calf muscle to the heel bone.
    This tissue is prone to swelling and/or rupture

I picked this definition today because I remembered the 2 years of continuous ankle pain I had experienced before.
    It went away after I stopped consuming wheat products.
    The doctor found nothing wrong with the foot, and decided it had to be internal swelling.
    Issue has been totally gone since.

Source: Harvard Medical School Dictionary

Last edited by NoCarbsNoSugar; 09-03-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add source

new box of Tea

Inspiring Quotes

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
    Unless there are three other people.

Orson Welles (1915-1985)
    American actor, director, writer, and producer

this tasted interesting, for lack of a better word...
    not too bad actually

cottage cheese, clementines, cinnamon splash
    C:268 F:5g Cbs:33g Sg:25g P:26g

phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phoenix4444 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It looks beautiful. Cottage cheese and fruit is good. Never had it with citrus though. I like your description of interesting.

^ ^ ^ I did like it
    It's just that my entire family was devouring a huge tray of muffins & cookies from Costco, while I made this plate for myself...

One of my kids (almost) suggested I eat this closer to the bathroom, so I'd make it there on time
    Another told me that citrus and dairy is never a good idea

I made it through the meal pretty safe.
    I did like it actually.

Children are so adorable

How old are your children? It seems that you are unnumbered at times

Children are so adorable

How old are your children? It seems that you are unnumbered at times
    mine are...
    we have four: 5, 10, 14, 17

From young-un to teenager. I imagine that it gets pretty interesting at times with all the different ages. You parents have the hardest job in the world.

From young-un to teenager. I imagine that it gets pretty interesting at times with all the different ages. You parents have the hardest job in the world.
    It gets pretty interesting at ALL times
    It's tough being a parent. A good one, that is.
    But it is also one of the best things in the world.

4 Eggs, 4 Sausage Links, Mustard, Hot Sauce
    C:880 F:44g Cbs:0g Sg:2g P:48g

nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nakkiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stopped by to congratulate you on your impressive progress. Good luck reaching 170!

Health News

Overweight, obesity in midlife linked to earlier onset of Alzheimer's

Source: Medical News Today
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/298936.php

Some of the most common risk factors for Alxzeimer's Diseases:
    • presence of certain genes (ex: apolipopretein E-e4)

Now, it is believed that OBESITY may also be a high-risk factor, especially in men over 50.
    The study involved 1394 individuals. Out of this total, 142 ended up developing the disease.

Specifically, men with a BMI greater than 30 are believed to be at highest risk.

The group who completed the study wrote the following: "Our findings raise the possibility that inexpensive, noninvasive interventions targeting midlife obesity and overweight could substantially alter the trajectory of Alzheimer's disease, reducing its global public health and economic impact."

Originally Posted by nakkiz View Post
    Stopped by to congratulate you on your impressive progress. Good luck reaching 170!
    Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the encouragement!
    Much appreciated.

Hey, my repping you brought you up to 1000 rep power.
    Well deserved, I am sure.

Originally Posted by NoCarbsNoSugar View Post
    4 Eggs, 4 Sausage Links, Mustard, Hot Sauce
    C:880 F:44g Cbs:0g Sg:2g P:48g

Now that is a nice meal to round out your night. Four eggs, well done sir Those are real pork sausages too aren't they. Its been a while since I have had real sausage.

that wasn't even my last meal tonight
    I had some 200 calories left and ate this:

Grilled Chicken, Cottage Cheese, Splash of Chilli Pepper Seeds
    C:286 F:5g Cbs:5g Sg:4g P:46g

yes, real pork sausage links

ha ha ha
    so funny

I wonder how this could be applied to weight loss

Health In History

1493 A.D.
    Columbus transports sugar cane to the New World,
    at the advice of Queen Isabela

Daily Food & Exercise Log

Thursday, September 3, 2015

No Intermittent Fasting - Ate Freely Throughout The Day

Meals

Raw Food:
    Clementines • Tomato

Cooked/Processed Food:
    Cottage Cheese • Baked Chicken Breast • Grilled Chicken Breast
    Kirkland Canola Oil • Fried Eggs • Sausage Links

Supplements:
    Bayers One-A-Day • Protein Powder

Daily Totals: