Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Missladyj - 90 Days of Keto

To satisfy my curiosity about lifting and nutritional ketosis, I have decided to eat a ketogenic diet for 90 days and document the effects it has on my body composition, mental state, and training. Today is Day 1 and here are my current stats and plan:

Height: 5'6 (168cm)
    Weight: 165lbs (75kg)
    Waist: 34 inches (86cm)

Calories: 1800
    Carbohydrates: 23g
    Fat: 140g
    Protein: 113g

Intermittent Fasting: 12pm to 9pm eating window

Supplementing: sodium, magnesium, potassium, protein hydrolysate

Lifting: 3-4 x a week, upper / lower split

Cardio: Aiming for 10,000 steps a day (tracking with fitbit)

Possible diet break after 4 weeks, 2 weeks of maintenance calories without breaking keto.

Will take pics tomorrow for a visual point of reference.

TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000) TeamRamrod2 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Goodluck !
    Aussie Crew
    Electrical Crew
    Madkhunt Crew
    Atheist Crew
    vegansarehomo Crew

missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TeamRamrod2 View Post
    Goodluck !
    Thanks

Day - 2

Going to weigh myself once a week, Saturday mornings. Feeling good so far, keeping up with electrolytes. I do feel a bit drained, but that is to be expected. Have been quite greedy with the carbs for the past few months (as you can see in my beginning pics lol).

Speaking of pics, took some around 12pm. Will try to always take them around the same time.

If I had to guess, I would say that I'm around roughly 25% body fat. Maybe that's generous, I admittedly do not have much experience estimating by photos

My goals for these 90 days are:

- Lose 5% body fat
    - 6inches (15cm) off of waist (currently 34in / 86cm)
    - Attain 155lbs (70kg) squat for reps (150lbs / 86kg is my 1RM)

And here are a few pics to give an idea of the type of things I am eating:

(Chipotle and bacon brussel sprouts cooked in coconut oil, and pan fried chicken brushed with olive oil / herb / salt and pepper mix)

(baked chicken wings coated with olive oil + herbs, broccoli stir-fried in coconut oil and soysauce / garlic / chilli sauce, avocado with sea salt and pepper)

(bison meat snackbites and mini babybel cheese)

I calculated that I should be able to get in around 48 workouts in the 90 days. Knocked the first out today:

Bench: 70lbs, 3 x 8
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows: 45lbs, 3 x 8
    Overhead Press: 45lbs, 3 x 8
    Seated Cable Row: 75lbs, 3 x 12
    Tricep Pushdowns w/ rope attachement: 70lbs, 3 x 6

Had to taper it back just a little bit, but not too much. Definitely had less intensity than usual, longer rests, but not too bad. I had the shakes a little after my pushdowns...thinking the glycogen in my upper body is probably just about gone. Leg day is going to be fun
    Last edited by missladyj; 08-30-2015 at 10:10 PM.

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    90 days of KETO ?

LMFAO

you will be hooked remember it take 6-8weeks to get fully adapted before strength starts to return and go up .....

once you get adapted you will fall in love with the pure energy mental focus and just how you feel
    Staying below 9% BF Year Round
    Ketosis Since - August / 14 / 2015
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day
    No Longer Doing Social Media Or Roaming Forums Often
    Display Picture Old And Not Up To Date
    New Instagram Not posting much as this time J.Banaitis

Originally Posted by JonBana View Post
    90 days of KETO ?

LMFAO

you will be hooked remember it take 6-8weeks to get fully adapted before strength starts to return and go up .....

once you get adapted you will fall in love with the pure energy mental focus and just how you feel
    I figured 90 days would enable me to give it a fair shot . Hoping I will adapt quickly, arms felt like noodles doing rows today.

repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50) repower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep us updated!

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    subbed. Will be watching how this goes. Id be curious to see blood work before and after. You no what my outcome was on psmf but I wont share that here.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

Originally Posted by repower View Post
    Keep us updated!
    For sure!

Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
    subbed. Will be watching how this goes. Id be curious to see blood work before and after. You no what my outcome was on psmf but I wont share that here.
    I won't be doing any blood work. Not really a fan of hospitals, haven't been in a few years lol. But this is a totally different diet from psmf. Psmf is for short term only, unless obese, and even then there needs to be diet breaks to help hormones rebound from their inevitable decline due to such low fat. Lyle says himself that if you don't strictly adhere to the protocol, there will be negative effects to health. Dietary fat is necessary for optimal health and there are consequences for cutting it for weeks and weeks on end, especially if not heeding to the proper supplementation that Lyle lays out. It could explain why you had the results you did, just saying!

A ketogenic diet is sustainable long term as a high or even moderate carbohydrate diet is not necessary for optimal health, as a few studies can attest to.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...%2C48&as_sdtp=

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok thanks for the explanation and just in case i wasnt saying this was a bad idea if thats how it came across. I was just saying what I did to see if you would have had the same results. The only thing is I didnt feel like my hormonal was affected while I was on it but who knows you made a valid point reguardless.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.

Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
    Ok thanks for the explanation and just in case i wasnt saying this was a bad idea if thats how it came across. I was just saying what I did to see if you would have had the same results. The only thing is I didnt feel like my hormonal was affected while I was on it but who knows you made a valid point reguardless.
    It's ok. I understand you aren't saying it is a bad idea and you are just looking out for me...which I appreciate! I know you mean well . Whenever I learn something new that is intriguing, I study it obsessively. One thing I looked hard at was why people kept failing or having issues on a psmf, and pretty much every single time the protocol wasn't followed exactly. The personal touches on the diet tended to be the downfall of most. The people who succeeded (and continued to keep the fat loss) tended to follow Lyle's book to a tee. If you get a chance, read through it. It is a short read, very interesting and gives good insight into nutrition in general. Also explains what will happen to your blood work / hormones if you do the diet too long!

Thanks. I will do that.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by missladyj View Post
    and pan fried chicken brushed with olive oil / herb / salt and pepper mix)[/i]

hnnnng those sprouts too in the other pic.

I liked using a salad daily, was a constant almost. Nuts, cheese, olives, any meats, home made olive oil based dressing. Spinach is very carb friendly, mushrooms, lil onion. It makes for a big plate, and helps with the food volume, "I'm eating a big meal yum!" psychological aspect as well. I mean 200 grams of spinach is like 3 net carbs. That is a big dang salad. Pecans are a winner in these or also walnuts.

And if keto isn't your cup of tea the journal closes just as easy as it opened

couple more links if you get bored.

http://eatingacademy.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

https://cronometer.com/

^ good place to check carb and fiber on many whole foods easily, more reliable than MFP at times.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    hnnnng those sprouts too in the other pic.

I liked using a salad daily, was a constant almost. Nuts, cheese, olives, any meats, home made olive oil based dressing. Spinach is very carb friendly, mushrooms, lil onion. It makes for a big plate, and helps with the food volume, "I'm eating a big meal yum!" psychological aspect as well. I mean 200 grams of spinach is like 3 net carbs. That is a big dang salad. Pecans are a winner in these or also walnuts.
    Sprouts cooked in oil until crispy on the outside are so hnnnng. ^^That all sounds really good. Will make sure I get nice big plates of spinach, 3 net carbs is awesome. Also need to grab pecans and walnuts.

And if keto isn't your cup of tea the journal closes just as easy as it opened

couple more links if you get bored.

http://eatingacademy.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

https://cronometer.com/

^ good place to check carb and fiber on many whole foods easily, more reliable than MFP at times.
    You are a fountain of knowledge, oh wise one. Watching Dr. Phinney while I eat my grass fed roast (mind = blown that Walmart carries grass fed beef) and spinach / cream cheese / shredded fiesta cheese mix

eta:

Picked up keto-stix from the pharmacy tonight and decided to check for chits and giggles...showed that I have a moderate amount of ketones after only 2 days strict keto.
    Last edited by missladyj; 08-30-2015 at 11:37 PM.

cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cherrygarcia80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wishing you all the best with keto I'm now on my 5th month and it's really become a way of life for me.

You've definitely done you're research if you're already supplementing with electrolytes from the get go...so may hopefully blunt effects of keto flu.

Just to add, 2 resources that really helped me were "reddit keto FAQ" page was a really helpful resource for me. also "reddit xxketo" page which is a keto discussion page for women, it really helped me as lots of questions i had were already asked and answered on there. It also helped me know that around shark week there'll be lots of stalls due to water retention so to not worry if that happens.

I think that's all i can think of for now, your meals look amazing! All the best
    =================
    Total weight lost: 128 lbs
    =================

Starting weight: 378 lbs
    Current weight: 250 lbs

******* 4 years on keto so far - keto4life!!! ***************

my fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166528931

Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sephra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    also in. I just started keto about a week ago, and after the first two days I was also in the moderate range on ketostix. Keep it up and good luck!

Originally Posted by cherrygarcia80 View Post
    Wishing you all the best with keto I'm now on my 5th month and it's really become a way of life for me.

You've definitely done you're research if you're already supplementing with electrolytes from the get go...so may hopefully blunt effects of keto flu.

Just to add, 2 resources that really helped me were "reddit keto FAQ" page was a really helpful resource for me. also "reddit xxketo" page which is a keto discussion page for women, it really helped me as lots of questions i had were already asked and answered on there. It also helped me know that around shark week there'll be lots of stalls due to water retention so to not worry if that happens.

I think that's all i can think of for now, your meals look amazing! All the best
    Congrats on making it to 5 months Cherry, it must be really working out well for you. I checked out that reddit keto FAQ yesterday, you're right is so helpful. I didn't know about the xxketo page though, thank you!

And thank you for complimenting my meals as well .

Originally Posted by Sephra View Post
    also in. I just started keto about a week ago, and after the first two days I was also in the moderate range on ketostix. Keep it up and good luck!
    Nice having you along Sephra, I appreciate the support and good luck to you as well.

Btw for anyone interested, http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/ has some pretty awesome recipes on it

Day - 2 (yesterday)

Nothing special to report about yesterday. Met calories. I did feel a little tired and took a nap when I put my twin 3 year olds down for a nap. But then again, I didn't get as much sleep as I usually do and it was rainy all day. Had a slight headache before bed so will up the electrolytes. I missed a cup of broth (aiming to drink 2 a day) so might have something to do with it. Was supposed to hit up the gym but my man had to work late so we'll get in the today. Idk if I am peppered for leg day

Day - 3 (yesterday)

Had a little bit of DoMs, but nothing too crazy. Was kind of tired and ended up going to sleep early after easily meeting all my calories, slept like a baby.

Day - 4

Had a pretty good day today. Appetite suppression is a little too good, still have 750 calories left and it's 45 minutes before my usual bed time . My leg day went surprisingly well. Expected to be a lot weaker, but not only was I able to do what I usually do, a lot of the movements / weight felt easier than usual. I do want to note that I took BCAAs before my workout (I usually don't) and felt like I had a ton of energy. Definitely going to start taking them before workouts now.

Deadlift: 185lbs, 3 x 5
    Lunges: 25lbs, 3 x 7
    Hamstring Curls: 80lbs, 3 x 8
    Leg Extensions: 75lbs, 3 x 12
    Adductor Machine: 120lbs, 2 x 12
    Abductor Machine: 90lbs, 2 x 12

And a little Food pRon:

Avocado with salt & pepper, salmon pan-fried in grass-fed butter and herbs, and broccoli stir fried in a wok w/ grass fed butter / garlic chili sauce / turmeric / soy sauce

MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fantabulous! Lol - you wait till next week. =D

Keep it up!
    Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
    Thus unlamented let me die;
    Steal from the world, and not a stone
    Tell where I lie.

2/17/15 - Dunk Tank Results: 15% bf (Omron said 18.6%) - 123.4 lbs LBM

kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey!!!

Keeping tabs on you over hear. I think that whatever will work for you and let you feel good while doing it is worth a shot.

Are you following any particular upper/lower split?
    Kristen

Originally Posted by MuzzieChik786 View Post
    Keep it up!

Originally Posted by kmac1196 View Post
    Hey!!!

Keeping tabs on you over hear. I think that whatever will work for you and let you feel good while doing it is worth a shot.

Are you following any particular upper/lower split?
    Just a split I made for myself based off of goals / weak points. Once I finish corrective exercises and get my squatting pattern acceptable, then I'll probably switch to something else...maybe back to 5/3/1 or Johnny Candito's Intermediate Routine.

Day - 5

Today is probably the best I have felt since starting keto, mentally and physically. I am enjoying the foods I am eating and it doesn't feel too much like dieting, just a change in what my primary foods are. I'm not hungry and it does not bother me to be around sweets despite having multiple opportunities to cheat today. Feeling positive about being able to see this to the end.

I went a little lighter in some lifts since I was still sore from the last time I did upper body.

Bench 65lbs, 3 x 8
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 45lbs, 3 x 8
    Seated Dumbbell Press 25lbs, 3 x 8
    Seated Cable Row 80lbs, 3 x 12
    Tricep Pushdown (rope attachment) 70lbs, 3 x 9

And some Food pRon:

Last edited by missladyj; 09-02-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loplod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I will link this thread to anyone who says things like
    "But keto food just doesn't look tasty" and
    " I feel so limited by keto food"

10/10 will keep checking back

kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000) kmac1196 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Food looks great!

Also, what is your fitbit saying your daily burn is? Just curious.
    Kristen

Originally Posted by Loplod View Post
    I will link this thread to anyone who says things like
    "But keto food just doesn't look tasty" and
    " I feel so limited by keto food"

10/10 will keep checking back
    Thank you

I was so excited to eat fatty meat on keto, limited...pffft. The irony is I feel limited by a normal diet because fatty meat is so delicious, but have to tone it way back to fit in carbs. That chicken leg quarter alone would have been more than half my fat requirement for the day on a "normal" diet.

Originally Posted by kmac1196 View Post
    Food looks great!

Also, what is your fitbit saying your daily burn is? Just curious.
    Thank you Kmac! Fitbit says anywhere from 2000-2200 calories usually.
    Last edited by missladyj; 09-03-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Day - 6 (yesterday)

Fell asleep before I could eat all of my calories yesterday (700 cal) so I made up for it today and ate 500 cal over. Still enjoying my food. Haven't had any intense sugar cravings. I have always enjoyed things like nuts, jerky and trail mix so I bought a bag of Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds (2g net carbs a serving) and they function pretty efficiently as a good snack for me.

Decided to try a cauliflower rice mash to replicate mashed potatoes and it actually came out really good. Put in sour cream, shredded cheese, salt + pepper and a generous amount of butter...was delicious. Decent substitute imo. Going to have to experiment with cauliflower more often.

The food does look good. And I do like meat products.

DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DannPM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In. Good job so far. On spread!
    Reliable sources of information:
    Alan Aragon http://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    Lyle McDonald http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ http://www.youtube.com/user/Team3DMJ