Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by johnlosing View Post
    Awesome man ! thanks for the encouragement
    I didnt get to go run this morn so I did it this afternoon
    I just got back I did 3.7 miles I was hoping to do at least 4 but it didnt happen , I guess the day after day is catching up lol my shins flared back up and my knees are feeling the daily abuse , Im not going to quit
    But I think 2morrow Im going to try for just 1 mile and let my legs and knees recover again . I will hit the Total gym hard and try and stretch everything back out and work out my chest , arms and abs
    Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here as I have a fair bit of experience training soldiers to run... You may need some recovery time. I must say I am impressed by your mileage, but you might want to consider this type of running routine...

Monday 3 miles hard, Tuesday 2 miles easy, Wednesday 3 miles hard, Thursday 2 miles easy, Friday 3 miles hard. Saturday and Sunday ride a bike or take those days off. If you must run... run 1 mile on those days easy.

Second week... 3 miles hard Monday, Tuesday 3 miles easy, Wednesday 3 miles hard, Thursday 3 miles easy, Friday 4 miles easy. Saturday and Sunday take off, ride a bike, or run just one mile on those days.

3rd week 4 miles hard Monday, Tuesday 3 miles easy, Wednesday 4 miles hard, Thursday 3 miles easy, Friday 4 miles easy. Repeat of the above for weekend.

4th week 4 miles hard Monday, 4 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 4 miles hard, Thursday 4 miles easy, friday 5 miles easy. Weekend repeat of the above again.

5th week 5 miles hard Monday, 4 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 5 miles hard, Thursday 4 miles easy, Friday 5 miles hard. Weekend same as above.

6th week 5 miles hard Monday, 5 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 5 miles hard, Thursday 5 miles easy, Friday 6 miles hard. Weekend repeat.

7th week 6 miles hard, 5 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 6 miles hard, Thursday 5 miles easy, Friday 6 miles hard.
    That is a basic program that will get you to your 6 mile goal, but if your knees are starting to feel it you may find you have to back off as your body adjusts to the new mileage. That doesn't necessarily mean you should quit running completely, just that you may need complete recovery days instead of easy days. Regardless of what you decide to do, I must say I am impressed with your progress. Once you get a good base of 6 miles down your probably going to want to consider doing some interval training, fartleks, hill runs, etc. to bring your run time down. If I've overstepped here or you already know all of this then forgive me. Just trying to be of help. Shin splints are very common in runners just starting out though that increase their mileage too fast. Backing down your mileage or even taking a week off is sometimes suggested. Your going to have to judge that one yourself. Rest assured though that if you push it too hard to fast you will be taking more than a week off.

Another example of this... I trained my son to run. He broke a 6 minute flat mile when he was 8. I took him out on a 10 mile run with him only having done 5 miles as his base before that. He was so impressed he did 5 miles more than he ever did before that he ran another 10 mile the next day even though I told him not to. Suffice it to say he was hurting for the next month. You can push yourself harder than you realize, but you also have to realize when to back off. Again, wishing you the best. Just try not and hurt yourself.

johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by carolinahbrah View Post
    I think I posted this a few days ago, but I just want to reiterate: if you get discouraged by the running – which is really hard work imo – just remember that it won't change your body; your diet and nutrition will.
    I remember and I am starting to make better food choices , hard habit to break
    I have for years practically sworn off all Fast food places with the exception of Chick fila . After going without it for a few months It makes me sick If I eat it . I have to say I am a little fearful of losing my weight to fast resulting in hanging skin so I am Trying to keep my calories at the normal level , because I have been a steady 279lb for well over 1 year now .
    I am on day 16 today and I am Currently weighing in at 274 Hydrated and after a big breakfast . And thats Pre Run weight So I feel like I am on track
    I have to admit yesterday After I got Back from My run at about 7 pm I felt soo Worn down
    It wasn't a hydration issue , Just every bone and muscle in my body Just ached worse than I ever have before .

So recovery Run this afternoon and Im getting ready to get on the total gym for about 1 hour

I feel pretty darn good considering how I felt last night !

johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnlosing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FireKnight1 View Post
    Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here as I have a fair bit of experience training soldiers to run... You may need some recovery time. I must say I am impressed by your mileage, but you might want to consider this type of running routine...

Monday 3 miles hard, Tuesday 2 miles easy, Wednesday 3 miles hard, Thursday 2 miles easy, Friday 3 miles hard. Saturday and Sunday ride a bike or take those days off. If you must run... run 1 mile on those days easy.

Second week... 3 miles hard Monday, Tuesday 3 miles easy, Wednesday 3 miles hard, Thursday 3 miles easy, Friday 4 miles easy. Saturday and Sunday take off, ride a bike, or run just one mile on those days.

3rd week 4 miles hard Monday, Tuesday 3 miles easy, Wednesday 4 miles hard, Thursday 3 miles easy, Friday 4 miles easy. Repeat of the above for weekend.

4th week 4 miles hard Monday, 4 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 4 miles hard, Thursday 4 miles easy, friday 5 miles easy. Weekend repeat of the above again.

5th week 5 miles hard Monday, 4 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 5 miles hard, Thursday 4 miles easy, Friday 5 miles hard. Weekend same as above.

6th week 5 miles hard Monday, 5 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 5 miles hard, Thursday 5 miles easy, Friday 6 miles hard. Weekend repeat.

7th week 6 miles hard, 5 miles easy Tuesday, Wednesday 6 miles hard, Thursday 5 miles easy, Friday 6 miles hard.
    That is a basic program that will get you to your 6 mile goal, but if your knees are starting to feel it you may find you have to back off as your body adjusts to the new mileage. That doesn't necessarily mean you should quit running completely, just that you may need complete recovery days instead of easy days. Regardless of what you decide to do, I must say I am impressed with your progress. Once you get a good base of 6 miles down your probably going to want to consider doing some interval training, fartleks, hill runs, etc. to bring your run time down. If I've overstepped here or you already know all of this then forgive me. Just trying to be of help. Shin splints are very common in runners just starting out though that increase their mileage too fast. Backing down your mileage or even taking a week off is sometimes suggested. Your going to have to judge that one yourself. Rest assured though that if you push it too hard to fast you will be taking more than a week off.

Another example of this... I trained my son to run. He broke a 6 minute flat mile when he was 8. I took him out on a 10 mile run with him only having done 5 miles as his base before that. He was so impressed he did 5 miles more than he ever did before that he ran another 10 mile the next day even though I told him not to. Suffice it to say he was hurting for the next month. You can push yourself harder than you realize, but you also have to realize when to back off. Again, wishing you the best. Just try not and hurt yourself.
    Thanks Fireknight1 for the insight brother I have a problem I had not mentioned before because Its embarrassing I have problems with Panic Attacks and they seem to frequent me More when I run , Im trying to not let them hold me back Im going to try out this routine you have suggested and just run the 1 mile on the rest days
    Im pretty sure I can do it If I can find a stretch of road that doesn't have much traffic .
    panic attacks Not so bad every Day but a good bit of days So This is something I have been Fighting for a few years now
    I will start Monday and give it a try .
    Thanks Much For the Advice and taking the time to write all that up brother . And I meant to say this yesterday
    thank you for your Service

carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I remember and I am starting to make better food choices , hard habit to break
    I have for years practically sworn off all Fast food places with the exception of Chick fila . After going without it for a few months It makes me sick If I eat it . I have to say I am a little fearful of losing my weight to fast resulting in hanging skin so I am Trying to keep my calories at the normal level , because I have been a steady 279lb for well over 1 year now .
    I am on day 16 today and I am Currently weighing in at 274 Hydrated and after a big breakfast . And thats Pre Run weight So I feel like I am on track
    I have to admit yesterday After I got Back from My run at about 7 pm I felt soo Worn down
    It wasn't a hydration issue , Just every bone and muscle in my body Just ached worse than I ever have before .

So recovery Run this afternoon and Im getting ready to get on the total gym for about 1 hour

I feel pretty darn good considering how I felt last night !
    Ok. That is not a good reason to stay the same weight: Loose skin still looks better than fat. A good weight-loss diet is not just "swearing off fast food places." You can get just as fat eating "healthy" food. Conversely, you could lose weight eating fast food. What matters is the amount of calories you are eating.

Take some of the effort you are putting into running and put it into tracking calories. Because right now, I have a feeling you will run, run, run for the next few months, you will realize you look exactly the same, and you will give up. We don't want that to happen.

FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FireKnight1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think I posted this a few days ago, but I just want to reiterate: if you get discouraged by the running – which is really hard work imo – just remember that it won't change your body; your diet and nutrition will.
    Diet and nutrition are definitely important. Running is hard? Running can be hard, but you can also run easy and slow. Running 5 miles fast or 5 miles slow is going to burn 1 lb of fat off a week if done daily if diet and nutrition stays the same. So, yes... running will help change the composition of the body. Running improves your heart health, lung capacity, capillary density, increases the density of mitochondria, and even the number of blood vessels. Running also decreases the resting heart rate and lowers blood pressure.

Ok. That is not a good reason to stay the same weight: Loose skin still looks better than fat. A good weight-loss diet is not just "swearing off fast food places." You can get just as fat eating "healthy" food. Conversely, you could lose weight eating fast food. What matters is the amount of calories you are eating.

Take some of the effort you are putting into running and put it into tracking calories. Because right now, I have a feeling you will run, run, run for the next few months, you will realize you look exactly the same, and you will give up. We don't want that to happen.
    I hear you my friend But I am already losing weight at a rate that Im comfortable with if I have even a small period of time that I stop losing I will start lowering calories
    I am already making healthier food choices Than I was 1 month ago
    but at this point its not a problem because I am losing .
    In addition to my Daily run , I run a Farm Full time so I expend a lot of calories all through the day Lifting , carrying, dragging , cutting , digging etc
    I appreciate the support and warnings Brother to help keep me on the look out and on my toes .

I can see a difference in my face
    and I have not said anything to friends and family about my runs or working out and I have been consistently getting asked if I have recently lost some weight before I shaved even

I can def see a difference in my calves and feel a difference in my chest
    Last edited by johnlosing; 08-27-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Diet and nutrition are definitely important. Running is hard? Running can be hard, but you can also run easy and slow. Running 5 miles fast or 5 miles slow is going to burn 1 lb of fat off a week if done daily if diet and nutrition stays the same. So, yes... running will help change the composition of the body. Running improves your heart health, lung capacity, capillary density, increases the density of mitochondria, and even the number of blood vessels. Running also decreases the resting heart rate and lowers blood pressure.
    Day 16 Just got back from my run this evening
    I did 8.7 miles My strava app says thats 2,222 calories burned
    I went to the local Park where they have a pretty flat running sidewalk .
    I had planned to recover today but I felt soo good when I got there and I was pumped to get to it so I just kept going till it got dark .

Your an animal! Seriously, I'm impressed with your progress. Keep an eye on those shins and knees and if the pain gets too much don't be afraid to back off those miles a bit. Keep those calories burning.

Thanks fireknight1 I'm on day 17 today and I'm feeling pretty good despite my 8.7 yesterday
    I have to admit my knees started feeling bad on the last 1/2 mile of my run yesterday . I probably gonna take it easy 2day and 2morrow so I can jump on that run schedule of yours Monday

I got on scale this morning and weighed 272.2 but again that's before hydrating well and eating

Ive been playing with Some sandbags maybe I will make it a regular thing , Im really digging it

Attached Images
    Last edited by johnlosing; 08-28-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Walked 3 miles with the wife then I went out for a quick run I started out with a sprint for about 250 ft or so and man it was all I could bare to get in 0.8 miles my shins imediatly started to feel so bad I had to turn back .I could barely walk . I know I should of taken it easier but I was stupid on this one and I'm paying for it . Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and at least be able to get 1 mile at least
    Last edited by johnlosing; 08-29-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Feeling Sooo much better today I can walk with very little shin pain I iced and massaged last night and used the Jets in my pool for some relief as well as some pain relievers .
    Man I have had "shin splints" many times over but damn ! I could barely walk or stand This time it was no joke note to self. Don't try and sprint through medium shin muscle pain on a recovery day.

Bacon and ham chip and pickle burger by john thorishammer, on Flickr

Day 18 and Breakfast time!
    Last edited by johnlosing; 08-29-2015 at 06:20 AM.

carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) carolinahbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bacon and ham chip and pickle burger by john thorishammer, on Flickr

Day 18 and Breakfast time!
    Don't eat food like that dude, I'm telling you lol.

Feeling Sooo much better today I can walk with very little shin pain I iced and massaged last night and used the Jets in my pool for some relief as well as some pain relievers .
    Man I have had "shin splints" many times over but damn ! I could barely walk or stand This time it was no joke note to self. Don't try and sprint through medium shin muscle pain on a recovery day.
    That's great!

Shin splints are not a laughing matter. It can take over 2 months to heal from them if they get bad. I'd take a few days off of running. Back your mileage down a notch when you start back up. Ice your shins for 15 minutes x 4 times a day. If you notice the pain comes back... adjust your mileage back down some more. You might also want to consider stretching your lower leg muscles as well as doing strengthening exercises for them. Runners used to the handles of paint cans on the ends of their feet and pull the can upwards to help build the tibialis anterior up. You get the basic idea... stronger lower leg muscles that are well stretched will help. You might also want to consider a new pair of running shoes if you've logged over 300 miles in those shoes... running or walking. If you must continue without a break... consider walking the same distance or biking.

Shin splints are not a laughing matter. It can take over 2 months to heal from them if they get bad. I'd take a few days off of running. Back your mileage down a notch when you start back up. Ice your shins for 15 minutes x 4 times a day. If you notice the pain comes back... adjust your mileage back down some more. You might also want to consider stretching your lower leg muscles as well as doing strengthening exercises for them. Runners used to the handles of paint cans on the ends of their feet and pull the can upwards to help build the tibialis anterior up. You get the basic idea... stronger lower leg muscles that are well stretched will help. You might also want to consider a new pair of running shoes if you've logged over 300 miles in those shoes... running or walking. If you must continue without a break... consider walking the same distance or biking.
    Thanks for all the info man I ran yesterday afternoon but It was more of a super slow Military Style "Airborne Shuffle" , I Made 1 mile and did it without much pain at all But I could tell it was still under there waiting to flare up if I did much more . I am probably due a new pair of running shoes because the ones I have the sole is coming off
    I am pretty sure my shin splint problem is coming from a combo of my weight , hard surface , and all the ditch / extreme angles I find myself running on in the particular stretch of road I have recently started running , That road I end up doing a lot of ditch running because of so many cars with my Right ankle rotated to the inside of my gait and my left foot rotated to the outside , then opposite occurs when i turn around and go the other way . I wonder what my chances of getting the city to put a sidewalk in for me on a desolate middle of nowhere country hwy LOL YEA Right .
    I guess its time to find a better stretch of road

I will never quit , I will never accept defeat !

Day 20 My Shins still Are recovering I did "run" yesterday about 1.4 miles In the pouring rain which was kinda nice it was more of a slow "airborne Shuffle" but I got out there and did it .
    I am Soo Missing being able to actually get out there move and cover some distance , so I took out some frustration on my Total gym and did some abs and upper body
    I will probably do another mile today and just go extra easy .

was taking a look at my photos and I saw these two so I decided to put them side by side to compare them
    I know its not much of a difference but Im liking what I see

before and afters by john thorishammer, on Flickr
    Last edited by johnlosing; 08-31-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Originally Posted by TheRealMvp123 View Post
    Good luck! You can do it!
    thanks dude I have already made some progress and its only day 20

20150828_095618 by john thorishammer, on Flickr

I ran Last night after dark but again had to keep it under a mile
    Im on day 21 today and hope to get out and do some very light running and maybe some biking this evening as well

Im still weighing in at 272 Lbs
    and since Im going so light on my runs I am trying to lower my Caloric intake a good bit
    Last edited by johnlosing; 09-01-2015 at 07:56 AM.

bomalley6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    keep it up man, you can do it! advice: try not to weigh yourself every day, drink plenty of water, BCAAs and protein would def help your body recover. Running everyday can get really exhausting on your legs, take a rest day if you have to but get right back into it the next day.
    Bench = 255 ll Squat = 305
    Bodybuilding/League of Legends/Football = my life

Originally Posted by bomalley6 View Post
    keep it up man, you can do it! advice: try not to weigh yourself every day, drink plenty of water, BCAAs and protein would def help your body recover. Running everyday can get really exhausting on your legs, take a rest day if you have to but get right back into it the next day.
    thanks for the encouragement my friend , I have been taking some muscle milk as supplement just finished off the jug the other day and ready to go take a look at what GNC has to offer . I Understand why everyone says not to weigh every day but It works for me and everytime I pass by the scale i weigh so I can stay more in tuned with my body and see how it changes through the day , also it is encouraging to see it move Lower and lower as the days go by

Day 21

Day 22

Part 2 day 22

For those who dont want to watch the videos or cant watch I Ran
    2.8 Miles on day 22
    Definitely a improvement since my shins lit up like a Christmas tree

Im on day 23 today and getting ready to go run

wish me Luck !
    Last edited by johnlosing; 09-03-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Day 23 I ran 3.6 miles
    So Im almost back to my 4 miles a day that i was running before my shins dumped me down

Im on day 24 feel pretty good
    cant wait to get out and run today , I had my alarm set for 4 am this morn so I had time to go for a run and the phone was on silent so I didn't get up in time lol
    And will have to go for a Night run tonight
    not my favorite time to run but It has to be done !

And Beside I have a new 250 lumen headlamp I need to try out anyways

day 24 I ran 4.7 miles in the evening til dark and I feel like Im doing better but I can still feel those shins start to get irritated if I try to go hard
    I just woke up this morning Day 25 and its 5 am getting ready to go run
    gonna try to go easy today since its only been a few hours since my run last night

Day 25 Checking back in I ran a 2.5 mile at 5:50 this morn
    It was pitch black , sooo Glad to have my Headlamp it worked out pretty good .