Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Struggling to get lean and build muscle?

Hello guys, I have been back to lifting now for 1 1\2 months since losing 30 pounds between March-June, seeing some minor definition change, strength gains, my biceps started at 15 inches now 15 1\2 - 16, Chest and tris are looking better, etc.
    I currently weigh 219 which is the same weight I was at when I started in July. I have been at a 25% caloric deficit, eating 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, doing HIIT cardio for 20 minutes after training. Eating clean 5-6 times a day. My question is why haven't I lost any weight? I know I shouldn't focus on the scale but its a little hard sometimes. My goal is to lost fat and build muscle which seems to be the Holy Grail of bodybuilding. Am I maintaining because I'm building muscle? I'd like to drop down to 195. Current bodyfat is 17-18%. Lifting heavy compound 4 times a week doing an simple upper/lower split. Need some pointers!

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat less. Its hard, but you can deal with it if thats your goal.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Daniel813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat less. Its hard, but you can deal with it if thats your goal.
    I'm at a 25% caloric deficit, I am eating less. If I eat any less I'm afraid I'll lose muscle.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Daniel813 View Post
    I'm at a 25% caloric deficit, I am eating less. If I eat any less I'm afraid I'll lose muscle.
    You can't be at a 25% deficit if you are not losing weight, are you weighing everything you eat?
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    You can't be at a 25% deficit if you are not losing weight, are you weighing everything you eat?
    I'm eating 2200 cals a day. Tracking everything that goes in my mouth through MYFITNESSPAL.

justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Regardless of your tracking method, I'd suggest some additional diligence on the portion/servings. (i.e. measuring/weighing the servings and be careful about before vs after cooking size/weight of the portion) I recently started using myfitnesspal as well...and I've "caught" several entry/selection errors based on portion sizing.

If you're already doing that, BMR/TDEE are just estimates...if your intake isn't giving you the results you expect, then change your calorie intake accordingly. (so, in your case, reduce your caloric intake a little more)

On a side note, I'm just learning this for myself right now...the hardest part is waiting to see what happens before making a change.
    Last edited by justinfore; 08-21-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Originally Posted by justinfore View Post
    Regardless of your tracking method, I'd suggest some additional diligence on the portion/servings. (i.e. measuring/weighing the servings and be careful about before vs after cooking size/weight of the portion) I recently started using myfitnesspal as well...and I've "caught" several entry/selection errors based on portion sizing.

If you're already doing that, BMR/TDEE are just estimates...if your intake isn't giving you the results you expect, then change your calorie intake accordingly. (so, in your case, reduce your caloric intake a little more)

On a side note, I'm just learning this for myself right now...the hardest part is waiting to see what happens before making a change.
    True...I'm going to give the 2200 cal deficit a few more days and if I don't see change I'll drop to 2000. I'm definitely dropping in size though.

justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinfore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    True...I'm going to give the 2200 cal deficit a few more days and if I don't see change I'll drop to 2000. I'm definitely dropping in size though.
    You also track bodyfat and body measurements...if you're maintaining/gaining muscle while losing fat, then probably best to keep 2200 kcal plugged in for another month (or two). But you won't know unless you're taking the measurements. (you can't manage what you aren't measuring)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm eating 2200 cals a day. Tracking everything that goes in my mouth through MYFITNESSPAL.
    That's not what he's asking.

Are you using a food scale so that you know how much of each food item you're consuming?

If you were actually eating at such a large deficit (25%), the weight should be falling off of you.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You arent losing anything for a prolonged period. This generally means that either one is eating more than they think, or that the deficit target was off, or an over calculation of exercise burn.

Either way july to now with no losses means over the course off all those days summed, intake was at maintence levels.

A simple method would be to cut intake by 500 cals a day, track progress, adjust in 3 weeks dependent on progress for basic fat loss.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    You arent losing anything for a prolonged period. This generally means that either one is eating more than they think, or that the deficit target was off, or an over calculation of exercise burn.

Either way july to now with no losses means over the course off all those days summed, intake was at maintence levels.

A simple method would be to cut intake by 500 cals a day, track progress, adjust in 3 weeks dependent on progress for basic fat loss.
    See sticky topics in the losing fat, and nutrition forums for more information.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're basing your maintenance and cutting calorie from a calculator this is your first mistake. Whatever you're eating you need to drop 500 calories a day if you want to lose in any decent timeframe. It doesn't matter what you SAY you're eating calorie wise, the bottom like is you're at maintenance.

Quit trying\thinking about gaining muscle while you're trying to lose fat. You'll just get frustrated. Concentrate on fatloss until you're fairly lean and then at that point go on a small surplus and add muscle, never letting yourself get over 15 % bodyfat again
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DIET! DIET bro.
    I already over 35..and every one knows ..as you grow older...is a bit hard to digest well etc....
    so maintain a healthy eating is a must important than training in fact.
    As everyone knows ....diet is consider more percentage than your training.
    News about Music, Lifestyle, Fashion and Beauty
    https://retroworldnews.com/

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DeviLFisH View Post
    DIET! DIET bro.
    so maintain a healthy eating is a must .
    "healthy" eating is no guarantee of fatloss. A calorie deficit is

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    "healthy" eating is no guarantee of fatloss. A calorie deficit is
    well agreed but healthy eating also contribute at least.
    if your organs not function well how to burn calorie fast while working out etc.

this is why we in here discuss isn't ..there is no right or wrong answers as our body types , genes , is different as individual.

well agreed but healthy eating also contribute at least.
    if your organs not function well how to burn calorie fast while working out etc.

this is why we in here discuss isn't ..there is no right or wrong answers as our body types , genes , is different as individual.
    Right: Calorie deficit to lose fat

Wrong: Thinking you can get around a calorie deficit by "healthy" eating.

Does "healthy" eating matter? Yes, but not very much, you also have to define "healthy"

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Right: Calorie deficit to lose fat

Wrong: Thinking you can get around a calorie deficit by "healthy" eating.

Does "healthy" eating matter? Yes, but not very much, you also have to define "healthy"
    perhaps I should say Healthy lifestyle ?

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are not eating in a deficit, if you were you would be losing weight. If you are not losing weight whatever method you are using is wrong. Whether this be not weighing food, inaccurate logging, or my personal favorite, snacking and not tracking it. Either way, you need to eat less. It really is that simple.

You have real world data from July to now that it is not working, the online calculators to determine someones TDEE is a guess as what they need to eat to lose weight, it is not an absolute. Your data tells you that you need to eat less, forget about what a calculator is telling you.

Good luck.

perhaps I should say Healthy lifestyle ?
    ahhhhhhh there ta go!

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Problem your having is trying to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, which is extremely difficult, especially as you get older. Most make a choice and do one or the other, cult or bulk, i.e. Build muscle/gain weight, then cut the fat and get lean to see it.. sounds like you're set on getting lean so I'd go that route first.
    With that said, I would try to decrease your cals, lift heavy; compound movements and get as much protein as you can to minimize the muscle loss thru the cut.
    **Hates stupid Hats crew**

Looks like you are all right one way or the other. I'll be honest, when I looked back on my log/journal today, I have not really been doing a lot of cardio during this month which might be contributing to my lack of weight loss. I have definitely built strength, my bench has gone up 60 pounds and my deadlift has gone up 80lbs, believe it or not. Stength increase I owe to lifting heavy with low reps early on in this process, plus daring myself that I can do it!
    I am also building muscle, deltoids are showing, biceps have more definition and have increased 1/2 inch from 15 inches to 15 1/2. My chest fat is burning off, looks more defined. I truly think all I need is to incorporate 20 mins of HIIT daily and stay at 2200 cals daily. What do you guys think?

Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds similar to my path, but your strength gains will decrease eventually when you shed the next 10-20 lbs. You'll have to cut carbs which means you'll have less energy. You just need to define your main goal and go for it. I decided to get lean and was very happy with my decision although I did lose some size and strength. Check out my profile to see my stats journey. Message me if you want to chat, love talking about this stuff.
    Waited too long to get serious and now I'm on a mission to earn the body I deserve.

Originally Posted by Pokernutt View Post
    Sounds similar to my path, but your strength gains will decrease eventually when you shed the next 10-20 lbs. You'll have to cut carbs which means you'll have less energy. You just need to define your main goal and go for it. I decided to get lean and was very happy with my decision although I did lose some size and strength. Check out my profile to see my stats journey. Message me if you want to chat, love talking about this stuff.
    If I were to explain the physique I wanted I would say something close to Elliott Hulse's physique. He's about my height, between 195-210 lbs but rock solid and great density.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    From your description, even though you aren't losing weight it does sound like you're increasing the lean proportion of your body mass. If your priority is strength, you may be happy with that state. It's really up to you whether you want to lose weight first and then build your muscle, or continue to work on building muscle now, and then start moving the fat off. For now, I wouldn't be too worried either way. Sounds like you're making progress.
    β€œThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    From your description, even though you aren't losing weight it does sound like you're increasing the lean proportion of your body mass. If your priority is strength, you may be happy with that state. It's really up to you whether you want to lose weight first and then build your muscle, or continue to work on building muscle now, and then start moving the fat off. For now, I wouldn't be too worried either way. Sounds like you're making progress.
    Thanks ElrondHubbard, you're right on the money! This month I have literally gone down a size since weight training. I definitely look leaner.

Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pokernutt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would love to look like him too. Good luck on your goals bro.
    Waited too long to get serious and now I'm on a mission to earn the body I deserve.