StagnantSloth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Machines to Free Weights Help

Hello,

First of all, thank you for everyone who has contributed information to helping people on this forum. Iíve been reading it for the last 3 hours and have learned a lot.

Second, I apologize for the length of this post! And thank you to anyone who reads it.

Until recently, I had never been to a gym in my life. However, I recently started going to support my girlfriend on her quest to lose weight.

We mainly dedicated most of our time to the treadmill, while randomly mixing in some weights (on the machines).

After reading this site more, as I expected, I see how much diet is reinforced for success in weight loss. Iíve also read a lot of threads on weight loss and pretty much all of them say to pick a program routine and stick with it. However, I see that all the main stickied programs seem to use free weights and not the machines.

My girlfriend and I had used the machines because they were simple to just jump on and start with. I am my girlfriends workout partner for now, but, I am out of the country for several months at a time and she currently doesnít have someone else to go with on her schedule.

So, my questions are (in regards to someone wanting to lose weight):

1) Is it strongly recommended to switch from machines to free weights?

2) Is it better to move away from doing mostly cardio to focusing more on weight training?

3) If it is suggested to switch to free weights, what are some suggested ways for a complete beginner to learn proper form?

4) Is it ideal for a beginner to be focusing on free weights without having a workout partner most of the time?

5) If anyone thinks she should stay on the machines in her situation, are there any weekly workout routines you could suggest that are ideal for weight loss?

I only have a couple weeks left until Iíll be largely absent for the next few months, so Iíd like to be able to help set her up with an optimal approach and routine before I leave. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hit1233 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by StagnantSloth View Post
    Hello,

First of all, thank you for everyone who has contributed information to helping people on this forum. I’ve been reading it for the last 3 hours and have learned a lot.

Second, I apologize for the length of this post! And thank you to anyone who reads it.

Until recently, I had never been to a gym in my life. However, I recently started going to support my girlfriend on her quest to lose weight.

We mainly dedicated most of our time to the treadmill, while randomly mixing in some weights (on the machines).

After reading this site more, as I expected, I see how much diet is reinforced for success in weight loss. I’ve also read a lot of threads on weight loss and pretty much all of them say to pick a program routine and stick with it. However, I see that all the main stickied programs seem to use free weights and not the machines.

My girlfriend and I had used the machines because they were simple to just jump on and start with. I am my girlfriends workout partner for now, but, I am out of the country for several months at a time and she currently doesn’t have someone else to go with on her schedule.

So, my questions are (in regards to someone wanting to lose weight):

1) Is it strongly recommended to switch from machines to free weights?

2) Is it better to move away from doing mostly cardio to focusing more on weight training?

3) If it is suggested to switch to free weights, what are some suggested ways for a complete beginner to learn proper form?

4) Is it ideal for a beginner to be focusing on free weights without having a workout partner most of the time?

5) If anyone thinks she should stay on the machines in her situation, are there any weekly workout routines you could suggest that are ideal for weight loss?

I only have a couple weeks left until I’ll be largely absent for the next few months, so I’d like to be able to help set her up with an optimal approach and routine before I leave. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    1) I think you should do free weights and then machines. For strength, i would say, free weights and compound lifts (bench, squat etc).
    2) That depends on your goal. Is it to loose weight or gain mass and strength? If both, then cardio and weight training should be mixed.
    3) http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ This link has good form info.
    4) I dont think you need a spotter for anything but bench press but having a partner can help with motivation esp. if you are starting new.
    5) Idk about this one sorry.
    The body can withstand anything, it is the mind you must convince.

StagnantSloth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hit1233 View Post
    1) I think you should do free weights and then machines. For strength, i would say, free weights and compound lifts (bench, squat etc).
    2) That depends on your goal. Is it to loose weight or gain mass and strength? If both, then cardio and weight training should be mixed.
    3) This link has good form info.
    4) I dont think you need a spotter for anything but bench press but having a partner can help with motivation esp. if you are starting new.
    5) Idk about this one sorry.
    Thank you for the response.

You had asked about the goal for question two. What if it's currently to primarily lose weight?

And if anyone could give any additional insight into question five, it would be appreciated. I don't know how keen she is to move to free weights by herself.

Thanks!

dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalylink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1) Yes
    2) Yes. You will lose fat and gain muscle which uses more energy. Win/win
    3) Good link provided above
    4) You can workout with out a spotter as long as you have a power rack or use dumbbells. Squatting or bench press with a barbell needs a rack for safety.
    5) The routines on this forum would work well - Fierce 5, PRRS, etc. Look at the pinned threads and see which one looks most workable for you.

ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ibadat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) Yes, free weights are far superior than machines when done right.

2) A good mix is healthy.

3) There are workout videos you can watch. Also look at my signature.

4) You should start with light weight. Dont let your ego get in the way

5) There are several programs here. Make cardio your best friend.
    Ollinfit.com- New wearable sensors that monitor your exercise form and provide live recommendations to correct your movement.