Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Short distance and jumping

This log is to document my training for general strength, power, sprinting and potentially some jumping in the near future.

My goal is to compete in my first race before the end of this year, either the 100m or the 60m, I'm not too bothered. I would also like to start training for long jump at some point and see if I enjoy it.

My all time PBs:
    Squat - 140kgx2 (308lbs)
    Pause Squat - 132.5x1 (292, not a lot of difference because my regular squats were too slow and controlled, something I am now correcting)
    Deadlift - 165x3 (364)
    Powerclean - 100x1 (220)
    Strict Press - 65x2 (143)
    Push Press - 90x1 (198)

All at about 75kg bw (165).

However I took about 8 months off training due to working too much and started up again this year in february, so my current PBs are:
    Squat - 122.5x5 (270)
    Powerclean - 97.5x1 (215)
    Press - 57.5x5 (126)

Today is my first planned training session back after over 2 weeks off due to a glute/hamstring injury, during this time I only did a bit of pressing and a lot of massage. So this will be an easy week before hopefully stepping up the intensity again next week.

Will post today's session when I get back later.

Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr.Serpent is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wide stance box squat
    60x5
    80x5
    100x5
    110x5
    120x5

I'd never usually do so much volume to ramp up but I wanted to get some reps in. Legs are obviously detrained, I only planned to go up to 120 today but it was harder than I wanted it to be. Probably RPE 7, which is the same as my 135x5 nearly 3 weeks ago. But it doesn't matter, I'm happy I was able to do them with no issue.

Press
    50x5
    50x5

5x10 cable crunches with 30 secs

Chin ups

Just some tempo runs today.

10x100m @ about 70%. Nice and easy pace and then some more massage. Felt good to do a bit of running even if it was light.

Wide stance box squats
    70x5
    90x4
    100x2
    115x1
    125x5

Not too bad, but I think I may continue doing these even when I'm back to normal training (I've never consistently done box squats). It definitely highlights some of my weak points.

Strict press
    52.5x5

Pretty easy, but I want to get back to previous numbers as soon as possible.

Cable crunches, heavier than last time
    5x12, with more rest

Continuing the simple theme of this week. Friday will be basically the same with more weight, only I may introduce some goblet squats to test my ROM and see if there's any pain.

72.5kg this morning. 2.5kg down on my normal weight but I was eating a lot less than usual while injured, it sucks but it's my fault. Probably won't take too long to get most of it back.

Wide stance box squat
    130x5

Reasonably difficult, so I've definitely lost some strength but that was to be expected. It's a good indicator of where I'm at so I'm prepared to take up to about 10kg off my squat next week. But we'll see.

Strict press
    55x5

Also kinda hard, but not a disaster. The little pressing I did during my couple of weeks off definitely helped a bit.

Messed around with some dumbbell goblet squats to finish up. Form looked good and no pain. No training till Monday now but I think I made the best of this week.

First sprint session in a few weeks today, went ok. I'm very tired but in some ways I think it's a good thing, it kept me from putting too much effort into them. I'm far from my normal speed but it's too be expected.

Sprints
    4x20m, jogging start

Pallof press
    30 sec holds either sidex2

And then some massage to wrap up, that's all I wanted to do today. Assuming I don't get pain I'd like to squat heavyish tomorrow.

First session doing full squats since about 4 weeks ago today.

Squat
    70x5
    70x5
    80x5
    90x5
    100x3
    110x5

Felt some tightness in the bottom position at first but overall things went well. I'm hoping it won't take more than 2/3 weeks to be at previous strength levels.

Did a bit of pressing but reconsidered. Just didn't feel right today.

Cable crunches 5x10, 30 secs rest

Some massage, a very light jog and some hurdle drills to warm down.

Did some overhead shot throws today. It was good to do a power movement since I haven't gone back to power cleans yet. I've typically sucked a throwing in the past, can't get the technique but today was much better. Worked on it a bit, recorded myself as I was going and made some good improvements and pretty easily beat my pb.

OHS - 15.57m (PB, 4kg shot)

Some seated calf raises after, after tempos last week and sprints this week I've noticed that my right calf (also the injured side) has been getting insanely tight and I keep having to massage it. At first I thought it was taking on too much work, but after realising I can barely do bodyweight calf raises with my right leg, I know now it's just weak as a kitten. Going to work on it till the imbalance evens out a bit and then bring both up.

Then some tempos on the spin bike.

Lifting tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Wide stance box squats
    135x4
    130x1

Today was interesting. Having never done these regularly I've always been weak off the box, takes me a while to get going and I never feel explosive. Today was much better, warming up, most weights felt they were flying off the box. My hips feel stronger.

I know I could have gotten the 5th rep on 135, but the bar speed had slowed down and I didn't want to grind it out; I probably should have anyway. I have the whole weekend to recover.

Probably about 40 secs rest between the 135 and 130.

OHP
    55x4, rubbish

Cable crunches
    6x10, 30 secs rest

Single leg calf work, high frequency on my right calf till it comes up a lot.
    (Crappy notes, just so I remember) Seated raises, 3 sets, 35kg, 10ish reps each set, remove 10kg plate and continue, 20ish reps.

Standing bodyweight calf raises, 2 sets of 10, difficult...

Missed my sprint session yesterday, my friend is back from the marines for a while so I ended up drinking with some friends Sunday night and didn't feel good enough to train. I'm a little annoyed, but it's cool, that stuff doesn't happen often.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that I may be very switched off today since I haven't trained since Friday, the goal is a 115x5 squat. I'm sure some vertical and depth jumps will help out.

I was terrified of today's workout, when I was warming up for squats everything felt really heavy, I didn't think I was gonna make it.

Started off with some throws to switch myself on. I still can't do powercleans so this is the best alternative for now. I managed to break my PB again, though I do believe it's primarily neuro-muscular, I'm just getting better at a movement that I'm not very familiar with yet.

OHS - 16.25m (PB, 4kg)

Then it was time to squat, final warm up single was 107.5kg and I nearly talked myself out of my peak set.

115x7

Blasted some music, got nervous, tried to focus, went for it, first rep went up quicker than any rep of 110 last week, and then next...and so on till the 6th and 7th which was probably the same speed as 4 and 5 last week. Wish I'd have recorded but damn, I surprised myself. I love muscle memory.

Single leg calf raises again. It's getting better, then some massage to finish up.

Didn't have my usual breakfast today, was a lot less. I have no idea how people train fasted, I know familiarity is a factor but I felt terrible. Fortunately it wasn't a big session so didn't matter too much.

OHS - didn't measure any today but from previous marks my best was probably 16m

Sprints - 2x10m, 3x20m, standing starts, still can't hip hinge far. These actually felt ok, on camera they don't look as good (then again I always think that, I blame the sub 11 guy I train with).

Single leg calf raises, seated then standing. Actually starting to notice an improvement in my right calf now, able to use a tad more weight (40kg) but ROM isn't quite as good as the left in anything.

Pallor press from lunge, both sides, then vertical. Good stuff.

Spin bike tempos, then some massage. Low back is feeling a little tender so I need to be aware of that for squats tomorrow.

Meh/10

Aim today was speed triples on squats, picked 107.5 which is a bit under 80% based on Tuesday's squats, it would have been more than manageable but I was quite conscious of the lower back tightness from yesterday. Couldn't get comfortable so I decided (after the first set) not to be stubborn today and just let it go, ended up box squatting instead.

Box squats
    130x5 (85%)
    120x5 (78%)

The most volume I've done in a while, but it was good.

Strict press
    50x5
    50x5
    50x5

Really crappy right now so added some volume.

Single leg calf raises, seated then standing. Definitely starting to see slow improvements in the right calf, and it didn't get as tight as usual after sprints yesterday, which is good.

Good session today.

Overhead shot -
    Best throw 17.72m, big PB. Some other throws around this area too, within 20cm.

Sled sprints, 10kg (excluding sled weight), 20m, follow by a 10m with no sled for PAP. x4. Going to get a time for the last 10m, I think it's PB level but hard to say for sure since the start is different. I'm still too injured and tight in my glute/hammie to get into a 3 point start so I'm doing standing.

Single leg calf work. Goal for tomorrow is 117x5 squat.

Decent today, 72.5kg this morning though. Diet has gotten better in the last couple of days but I really need to get back up to 75 in the next couple of weeks. Those 2kgs are a lot for someone as skinny as me...

Squats
    117x5, less explosive than I would like. But I got it.

Pause squats
    107x2x2 (just under 80%, but definitely fatigued from the main set)

Wanted to chuck in a little more volume and it's been a long time since I paused. Tried to emphasise really sitting down in the hole and switching off my legs (obviously keeping core activated still). Then switching back on, rather than holding tension the whole time. 2nd set is in video.

Strict Press
    55x5, about time
    47x2x2

SLDL - 80kg

First significant use of hip hinge in weeks, didn't want to push the weight and ROM is still quite limited. They're technically not SLDLs, started from the top and hinged a few inches till hamstring started to become an issue. But I think it will benefit me to do something.

Single leg calf work and some vertical pallof presses.

Rest day today, I have cold symptoms so just going to try and focus on eating a lot and chilling out. Timed my 10m sprint from the other day, about 1.88, beats my PB of 1.92 but the start is different, so I'm not sure how comparable they are.

My first few steps are definitely a weakness, 30 is by far my best distance. I think over the next few weeks while I really work on my strength I'm going to focus on 10s and 20s once a week, and probably include lots of sled work too. No point training max velocity at this point due to all the high stress squatting.

Didn't train yesterday due to my cold, though rest may have been better for today. Training time today was limited so I cut some stuff.

Box squat
    137x5

A difficult set, may not have managed another rep. But as today is the last heavy day of this mesocycle I went for it. Next week is a recovery week, weights will stay around 60%, no sprints, just drills, tempos and throws (which are quite low stress, I won't be going 100% all the same but enough to keep a little switched on).

Strict press - 55kg

Harder than I wanted.

SLDL - 80kg

Managed to get much more ROM on the last set without pain or too much of a stretch, good sign.

Missed calf and core work unfortunately.

Hang Cleans
    40x5
    50x5
    60x3x2

Easy and fast. Felt good to do some sort of clean again.

Bike tempos, single leg calf stuff and that was it for today.

Squat
    60x5
    70x5
    80x5

Press
    20x-
    30x5
    40x5

SLDL
    40x5
    60x5
    80x5

Vertical and side pallof presses. Some stretching.

Boring, but necessary.

Didn't train friday as my dad wanted some help with some cement that was being delivered to a job of his. Figured on a deload week that could replace training. Unfortunately I should probably have picked this week to take it easy as today is the only session I'm able to fit in, had to do a lot and considering I train pretty low volume normally, it was tough.

Overhead shot, 4kgx4, didn't measure any today, nothing good.

Sprints -
    3x10
    3x20

Didn't feel as bad, once I got going at least, my first few steps feel crap, almost like I'm running on the spot. Fortunately this is one of the only parts of a sprint that all this weight training will help me with.

Squat -
    120x4
    107.5x5

Some scientifically timed intra-workout jaffa cakes were needed here, started to feel a little light headed. I didn't know how I'd respond to just jumping into a heavy squat first day back but I did better than expected, didn't get the 5 but good enough. Took 10% off for a back off set that was still difficult.

Strict Press -
    52.5x5
    47.5x8

Not much to say here, meh.

SLDL, worked up to 100x5, felt easy and much more ROM than before, only a few inches off the floor now. Lots of knee bend to take strain off the hamstring but it's still progress.

Chin ups

Vertical pallof press

Exhausted/10

Just weighed myself at 71.3kg, jesus that's not good.

I still have DOMs from Wednesday. Strange for me, but I guess that's what happens when you come off an easy/deload week, hit a hard training session in one day and then neglect recovery work afterwards (beyond the few minutes I spend warming down on the spin bike).

I'm looking forward to next week though. Other distractions are out of the way so on Monday I can get back to training hard, even though I had a hard session I'm going to consider this another easy week because it was only one day, so I have another 3 weeks to make some good gains. My goal for the end of the month is a 125x5 squat. I'd also like to start powercleaning again and get back my 57.5x5 press.

Yesterdays session:

Power cleans from blocks, worked up to a few doubles of 80kg. Then felt like giving them a try from the floor, went down to 70 just to be safe. Felt fine so I'm happy that I'm able to pull form the floor again, first time since injury. Cleans didn't feel too powerful but at least I can start training them again now.

Sprints
    2x10
    6x20, 1 weighted sled, 1 normal, repeat. Timed one normal run, 3.16, not bad considering my PB is 3.14 and I ran that against someone. I can never seem to run 100% without some competition so yesterday was decent.

Today:

Squats
    120x6

This more through sheer force of will than a legit strength increase. Told myself I was gonna get 6 to improve on last week, last 2 reps were hard.

Press
    52.5x6x2, decent doubles.

SLDL
    90x5
    100x5
    110x5
    110x8

Definitely missing out on heavy SLDLs, now that I can hip hinge again it's time to build this back up.

Vertical pallof presses, went well.

Lately I've only been sprinting once a week, but today was a nice day and I got the urge.

Throws - 4kg shot (legit now, turns out the one I was using before was 3.25, that and trying to change my technique has brought my PB down a bit)
    Best throw 16.21m

Sprints -
    4x20m

These felt pretty good, even with the heavy squats (for me) right now I'm feeling pretty fast. Some of the club athletes were watching, and while I didn't notice at the time apparently one of my sprints got a 'woah' from them. Whether that's because I look quick or because my technique is crappy, I don't know though.

Edit: just timed the videos, best run was 3.21, I was hoping for a bit better but it's cool. I'm determined to beat 3.14 with no tailwind this time but it may have to wait till I'm not in my strength phase. Looking at today's videos I am also standing up wayyyy to quick, literally after 10m. Need to fix that.

Hurdle drills for some dynamic stretching, then calf raises; seated and standing.
    Last edited by Mr.Serpent; 09-10-2015 at 10:49 AM.

High box squat -
    140x4
    130x4

Recorded these for the first time. I'm actually really happy with how fast the first rep of 140 went up. Someone got in the way of the camera but you can still tell it's pretty quick. 2 and 3 were pretty good too but 4 slowed down a bit too much.

Press -
    55x3...ouch
    47.5x7

SLDL -
    120x5
    120x5
    120x5

Feeling good

Chin ups

Not sure what to call these, I'm sure they exist already. I've been using a bench to do some anti extension work, hinge up off the bench from the hip but stay as straight as possible holding the bar out above you like a locked bench press. Pretty difficult.

Barbell holds -
    3x30kgx20 secs

All in all I'm quite happy with training this week.

Monday Week 2

Powercleans -
    80x3x2

These weren't amazing by any means but I was happy in a way. I didn't know how well my squat would maintain my ability for these. 80kg is probably a bit more than the 80% I was aiming for but still not too bad, max is probably around 95 based on today.

Sprints -
    5x20m

Nothing to brag about today. Recorded a couple of runs, one of them had horrific technique, some of my worst ever. Looked so tight, no leg extension and knees barely coming forward at all. Fixed it immediately on the next run but slowed down as a result.

My friend gave me some pointers though so I have a plan to execute for the next few weeks. 'Winter is coming' so top speed sprinting is basically not happening outdoors at least. Going to up the sled sprints and accelerations (at 90ish%) volume wise. And also increase volume for standing long jumps and overhead shots so that I can progress to bunny jumps and eventually some bounding. He thinks bounding will transfer to sprint technique well, I'm up for it.

Tuesday, weighed myself in the gym at 73.6kg

Squats -
    122.5x4

Spectators say I should have gone for the fifth, my fourth rep felt a lot slower to me that it actually was apparently. But I'm still happy with this especially considering my PB this year is 122.5x5 at a higher bodyweight (around 75).

Press
    55x5

Could maybe have squeezed out another rep if I went to snap city and used a lot of lean. But I'm glad to have gotten a solid 5.

SLDL
    122.5x3x5

Single leg calf work, right calf is noticeably better than it was now.

Vertical pallof press

Yesterday's session

Throws - 4kg
    Didn't measure any of them, some really sucked, some were better after I got some pointers from my friend.

Sprints -
    4x20m with 10kg sled, 4x20m in between without sled. Nothing great, pretty much a technical session, didn't run too hard but I do think I improved technique a bit.

Today

Front squat -
    110x3 (PB)
    100x5

It's only a PB because I never front squat and I don't enjoy them. Curse these weak quads, but it's something I definitely need to work on. Now that my SLDL is coming back up I think the box squats can be subbed out something I need a bit more. Form was actually pretty good, very upright but just felt so unfamiliar.

Press -
    55x6x2

SLDL -
    125x3x5

These were good.

Chin ups

Weak

Barbell holds

All for about 20 secs

Monday week 3

Powercleans
    80x3x2

Same weight as last week but a massive improvement. In fact, these may have been the fastest power cleans I've ever done. Getting back on track after this injury has been a process but I really feel I'm there now. For once I'm actually going to keep power cleans at 80-85% while I strength train and no higher, always pushing for maxes was a mistake before. Building up the squat is priority right now and cleans will focus on speed without being too taxing.

Sprints
    5x20m w/sled, 5x20m in between without.

The bread and butter for sprints right now, again, no point focusing on top end speed and longer distances if I'm squatting heavy, it's too much at once. Sleds slow me down enough to think about technique more and still keep an ok drive/lean. The runs in between felt quick even while holding back a little (in fact I've strained my groin ever so slightly).

I feel great but will still take my deload next week.

Had to lift in a commercial gym today, rack was ok though so it was fine.

Squat -
    122.5x6 (PB)

First 2 flew up, really good speed. The couple of people in the weight area were staring at me when I finished, one told me I had strong legs and the other said he can only do that for one. Made me chuckle, I forgot how low people's standards are.

Press -
    57.5x3

Eh

SLDL -

Failed after 1 rep of 125 due to grip, didn't use chalk because of the gym and my hands were sweaty, BUT it still exposes a pretty glaring weakness that I need to work on.

Didn't have time for core work or any other extras, but I'm happy with the squats.