MiniSummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench press working out biceps

Hello misc (first post ever so please be nice :P),

I have been working out for around a month and it has been awesome. But I believe I am doing the bench press incorrectly and if someone could please talk some sense into me that would be great. When doing the bench press I feel my biceps tire and give out before anything and whilst doing the workout I do not feel my chest at all (although delayed onset muscle soreness would prove otherwise).

I squeeze my shoulder blades together and put an arch in my back, hold my hands shoulder with apart so my forearm is parallel to my grip and lift the bar down to my chest and back up. I have read online that this should not be the case so I have watched videos and read tutorials on how to do the bench press whereas you should be using your arms as merely stabilisers and use your chest , but I'm not sure how I can do that when I have to push the barbell upwards with all my strength which comes from my arms. Same story with dumbbell bench presses.

Then afterwards I'll try do some more workouts with my arms and they are too tired and have no give from being worked out so hard. I have a feeling as soon as I get the technique right the amount I'm lifting will raise a satisfying amount.

Thanks in advance misc

mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000)
    chest is just internal rotation of shoulders movement. triceps (arms) is what extends you elbow. shoudler heads also come into play. they must all work together. im sure biceps are just used as stabilizers with back and such. (opposing muscle groups)

Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000) Malf82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dunno how to help you about your biceps action but one thing you didnt mention about your form is elbow flaring, which is a big deal in bench press.Posting a video of you doing the bench would help i guess.

Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gahv has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    nice going OP, great first post
    It was one of the best runs I've seen happen in a long time
    *no tips crew*
    *hibernia crew*

koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    shoulder grip is way too close.
    <Made by Koloxoid>

Under Construction . . . Johneffer's Avatar
    Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Johneffer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You barely have stabilizing muscles developed yet I bet
    Instagram: @Johneffer
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Johnefferlol2/videos
    Bench: 405 sets of 6, 315 for 20
    Squat: 495 for 6 sets of 12, 675x1
    Deadlift: 685
    Teen Nationals Overall Champion 2017

fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I honestly can't see how your biceps are getting worked on the bench press. It's borderline impossible. You hardly even use your bis as a stabilizer. Are you sure you aren't mistaking your biceps for your triceps?

Anyways, get a friend to videotape you doing bench press and then post it so we can help. I can tell you now that shoulder grip is probably way too close, you're working your triceps way more than you are working your chest at that narrow of a grip. Widen to your grip a little and go down with your elbows at a 45degree angle between your body and your shoulder.
    She asked me if I'm smoking again
    I said I prolly gotta go in a bit.

Originally Posted by Gahv View Post
    nice going OP, great first post
    I'm not sure why you have to be a pessimist, I was just asking for advice.

Originally Posted by koloxid View Post
    shoulder grip is way too close.
    I'll try widening my grip - thanks mate! I have my hands where the markings are but I'll go even wider.

Originally Posted by fnck View Post
    I honestly can't see how your biceps are getting worked on the bench press. It's borderline impossible. You hardly even use your bis as a stabilizer. Are you sure you aren't mistaking your biceps for your triceps?

Anyways, get a friend to videotape you doing bench press and then post it so we can help. I can tell you now that shoulder grip is probably way too close, you're working your triceps way more than you are working your chest at that narrow of a grip. Widen to your grip a little and go down with your elbows at a 45degree angle between your body and your shoulder.
    I could easily be defying logic with my off technique, I'm pretty retarded! But I definitely know it is biceps and not triceps (minoring in HHD at uni). I'll widen my grip and follow your other advice and if nothing changes I'll whip the camera out. Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by mhong64 View Post
    chest is just internal rotation of shoulders movement. triceps (arms) is what extends you elbow. shoudler heads also come into play. they must all work together. im sure biceps are just used as stabilizers with back and such. (opposing muscle groups)
    I just put a very small amount of weights on the bar and focused solely on doing this. I have realised that I have been merely pushing upwards rather than internally rotating and I'm having trouble with the consistency in doing it as old habits die hard but when I did it I could tell it was working; just feels a little awkward for me at the moment! I think it will just take me a while slowly working my way up from small weights to get my technique going correctly as I'm in no rush. Thanks alot mate!!!

koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000) koloxid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MiniSummer View Post
    I'll try widening my grip - thanks mate! I have my hands where the markings are but I'll go even wider.
    thats not shoulder width then. proper width ranges from i believe middle finger on the ring to any closer that is comfortable for yourself
    <Made by Koloxoid>

fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fnck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MiniSummer View Post
    I could easily be defying logic with my off technique, I'm pretty retarded! But I definitely know it is biceps and not triceps (minoring in HHD at uni). I'll widen my grip and follow your other advice and if nothing changes I'll whip the camera out. Thanks mate.
    Even with terrible form, I honestly can't see how a pushing movement, especially one like bench press, can be fatiguing your biceps.

Also, you said in the above post that your hands were on the markings on the barbell. That's about where they should be, and unless you're using some weird-ass barbell, the markings shouldn't be near shoulder width. I know the markings can vary in distance, but I've never seen any that are close enough to be shoulder width.

Watch this video. It's the exercise guide from this website.

http://videocdn.bodybuilding.com/vid...000/53781m.mp4
    She asked me if I'm smoking again
    I said I prolly gotta go in a bit.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you sure you're talking about your biceps here?

Personally after benching the only thing for me that is pumped is my chest tris and forearms.

GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GreyFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just making sure we're on the same page here

We're talking about this

Not this
    Based Curl God - BBW Lover

▴♛▾ B 235 C 135 ▴♛▾

mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000) mhong64 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GreyFit View Post
    Just making sure we're on the same page here

We're talking about this

Not this
    lmao repped.

OP, focusing on internal rotation is unnatural. it happens by itself. just watch benching videos and keep doing the exercsie.

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I honestly have no idea how you are working out your biceps while benching.

This thread literally made me question life.
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

AhrenTheBigBoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench Press Form

I've been having trouble lately to feel bench press in my chest, but rather I feel in my bis. How do i internally rotate my shoulders to help with the activation of my pecs, I've heard this helps?...

SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamFort will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AhrenTheBigBoy View Post
    I've been having trouble lately to feel bench press in my chest, but rather I feel in my bis. How do i internally rotate my shoulders to help with the activation of my pecs, I've heard this helps?...
    Lower your weight, focus on the contraction of your pectoral muscles, possibly widen your grip. And make it a slower more controlled motion, hope this helps.
    Max bench 280
    Squat 330
    DL- 380