kinesgirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I train for a Fitness Competition and Spartan Race at the same time?

Hi bodybuilding.com family! I'm wanting to compete in a fitness competition later this fall (October) and want to add few pounds of muscle before then... but I also want to compete in a Spartan Race later this summer (August). My tentative weekly plan includes a 4 day weight training split, 1 day of plyometrics, and 1 longer run (3-5miles). Ideally I'd like to add 10-15 minutes of HIIT/plyo to the end of my upper body weight training days as well. Can I effectively pack on muscle while training endurance, speed and power? Or will training for both competitions counteract each other and lead to slow/no gains? Thoughts?

anonymous
    What kind of fitness comp and category were you thinking of entering? At your stats, you will probably need at least a good year of bulking in order to get any kind of muscle base for fitness comp., and that would probably be counter-productive to your short-term goals for the Spartan Race. Why not train for the Spartan, then focus on bulking and training for a year. Check out Megdaig's profile/journal. She did a fitness competition and Ironman at the same time, but she also had the benefit of some years of weight training/competition before she did the Ironman.

Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Savenn01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Got more than 12 or 16 weeks until your race? Start training now by following the Spartan Race’s Workout of the Day (WOD).

LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000) LinzKaye is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're competing for more exposure get involved in this promo and for free product as well!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=167916521
    Controlled Labs Representative
    Email: linzkaye@controlledlabs.com

►FREE SAMPLES◄
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149596763

Free Controlled Labs supps for your CL labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=117636651

Disclaimer : The above post is my PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official
    position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice

http://www.********.com/lindsaykayefitness
    ---
    Instagram @linzkaye

SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your comp is in October, I don't foresee that you will be packing on muscle before it arrives. You should be starting to diet down & eating in a deficit isn't conducive to muscle growth. To put on a few pounds of muscle, it is usually common to do a bulk lasting at least 6 months. Muscle growth is slow and you will see some fat gain. That being said: you are trying to do 3 things at once here. Build a few pounds of muscle, cut fat for a competition in 4 months, and train for an endurance event.

This is my experience: I am cutting now and entering a prep for a competition in November. I ran the Indiana Sprint in May. I ran it twice which equaled 10 miles, plus strength obstacles as you know. I tried to stick to my meal plan, and even asked my coach for more food & explained why. My performance really lacked due to under fueling. It would be a delicate balance to do a prep and train for performance with an endurance event. If you are just looking to survive through the race, then your normal training program for prep should be sufficient (strength training plus cardio).

If this is going to be your first competition and you have acknowledged that you need more muscle, I would recommend training for your Spartan Race and enjoying it. Pick a competition date for next year and give yourself time to build some muscle and really educate yourself on the process & science behind body building. Best of luck, and enjoy your race! AROO!

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SpartanRN View Post
    If your comp is in October, I don't foresee that you will be packing on muscle before it arrives. You should be starting to diet down & eating in a deficit isn't conducive to muscle growth.
    OP is 5'3 and 106bs. Nothing really to diet down to...that's already below stage weight of what most girls would compete at. IMO, she could use a good year of bulking first. And unless it's early October, that may end up being a very long cut if she starts now. I went 15 weeks last time which was way too long...by the end I was just doing everything I could to hold on to muscle and also not go completely insane.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanRN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    OP is 5'3 and 106bs. Nothing really to diet down to...that's already below stage weight of what most girls would compete at. IMO, she could use a good year of bulking first. And unless it's early October, that may end up being a very long cut if she starts now. I went 15 weeks last time which was way too long...by the end I was just doing everything I could to hold on to muscle and also not go completely insane.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I totally missed that. That certainly changes things. OP I would say enjoy your race & take your time getting to the stage. It will always be there. Read the sticky threads and learn a bit about how muscle building works.