Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Powerlifter In The Works Achieving's Avatar
    Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Answers To Every Beginner Thread Ever

First off, you're starting to lift. You need a good program, a basic beginner program is easily the best choice and will yield the best results (Two highly acclaimed examples would be Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or ICF 5x5 by Jason Blaha.) Post videos of your main lifts (squat, bench, deadlift) and a member will help you correct your form. Lifting with bad form is practically the same as not lifting at all, it's useless.

Secondly, nutrition. It's not super important for someone at an early stage in lifting to necessarily track macros or what you're eating per se, but tracking calories could be extremely beneficial.
    If you're aiming to gain weight, eat more, it's as simple as that (if tracking calories, eat 3500 calories over your weekly maintenance to gain 1 lb per week, so you put on weight while minimizing fat to an extent.)
    If you're aiming to lose weight, eat less, it's as simple as that (if tracking calories, eat 1750-3500 calories less than your weekly to lose 1/2-1 lb per week, so you lose weight while minimizing muscle loss to an extent.)

Thirdly, supplements. No supplements are needed, some find an external protein source (such as whey) highly convenient and beneficial as one might not be getting enough protein through whole foods. But, aim to get most of your protein through your food. Don't focus on supplements for now, though.

Fourthly, sleep and rest. Sleep and rest are extremely important. Follow your program to the t, do not modify or change anything "because you feel like it," it is designed that way for a reason and, as a beginner, you lack the knowledge needed to make a decision like that. You're just hindering your progress, this also means resting on rest days. Get as much sleep as possible. Do not get 3 hours of sleep a night, you're again just hurting yourself in the long run.

Fifthly, pain vs soreness. If you're feeling pain, there is something wrong with either your form, the weight your using, etc. and you should post videos of what you feel pain on, and you may potentially need to consult a doctor. Soreness will likely be present in your first few weeks of lifting and may persist further, however there is a major difference between this and pain. You will know if you're experiencing pain.

Sixth, gyno. Odds are you do not have gynecomastia. Give it time and it is likely to go away. Most everyone experiences what you are at certain times in their lives, it's nothing to worry about and nobody else is paying attention to it, unless you bring it up and make a big deal of it.

Seventh, cardio/conditioning. Cardio/conditioning is extremely helpful, and will help you in more ways than you can think. Most, if-not-all, should be doing some form of cardio no matter what. This can be anything from running, riding a bike, or doing a clean circuit, any form is acceptable. I'd recommend doing this at least a few times a week, but as I said you can make it something enjoyable for you.

Eighth, eating before the gym. Yes, you can eat before going to the gym. Dependent on what you're eating, I'd recommend at least 45-90 minutes before going to the gym. If you're eating a large meal, I'd stray closer to 2 hours, while if you're eating rice cakes or something small you can decrease the time drastically. You don't want 2 pounds of food sitting in your stomach while your trying to squat, think realistically and logically. It's common sense that you won't perform at your best when your still sluggish and lethargic from your lunch.

Ninth, legs. No, you do not have "big legs for your body," they're fat. Do not, under 95% of circumstances, stick leg work. Suck it up, no one cares that you hate leg work, you'll end up looking like an idiot if you don't do it.

Tenth, body types. Get body types out of your heads, for your purposes they do not exist and are fake. Stop worrying about your body type effecting you in any way, shape or form.

If anyone has any questions that I did not touch on, I will be happy to answer them by later today.

Jaredh3004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually quite enjoyed reading this, good post imo.
    However, in regards to Gyno "nobody else is paying attention to it"... people do, people will look and think 'moobs'.. The embarrassment of fatty chest/gyno is awful. I agree though, don't make a fuss about it and let progress sort it out, and if it is gyno... doctors.
    Fresh in the game, keep your calm with me ;)

Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great post brah

Only thing I would add is about programming and stuff. *unless I'm blind and missed it*

Like dont make up your own program and run a PROVEN beginner program like icf 5x5, stronglifts 5x5, fierce 5 etc.
    or if they want to do powerlifting instead of bodybuilding do something like PTW's novice program or switch the ICF lifts to 3x5

Edit: FK I missed it.

NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000) NaturalFTW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    tldr

lets be honest. People have made threads like this constantly but new lifters are still gonna ask the exact same questions.. 99.9% don't read the stickies and don't want to research for themselves.
    Liverpool F.C.

RIP Bill Starr

Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Achieving is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NaturalFTW View Post
    tldr

lets be honest. People have made threads like this constantly but new lifters are still gonna ask the exact same questions.. 99.9% don't read the stickies and don't want to research for themselves.
    My goal in all honesty was to get this stickied so the Teen Bodybuilding section wouldn't be flooded with these questions anymore.

Did someone say arm day? PulseGains's Avatar
    PulseGains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PulseGains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PulseGains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sick thread man, kudos
    Sig line can't be a novel

basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    '' you must spread more reputation among other users before giving some to Achieving again''

or whatever that msg says.

CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So which steroid do I take?
    6'3" master race

basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) basmca is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CelticsFan7 View Post
    So which steroid do I take?

Deadlift: 385
    6'3 210 lbs

the one that makes you work on deadlifts.

CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CelticsFan7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by basmca View Post
    the one that makes you work on deadlifts.
    Teach me your ways deadlift brah
    6'3" master race

Originally Posted by CelticsFan7 View Post
    Teach me your ways deadlift brah
    warm up

load the bar.

pase around and prepaire yourself to go ham.

stare the bar down and tell it that it's your b!tch

walk up

get ur feet right.

bend en grab the bar.

take a good few deep breaths

get set

explode like you want to tear the head of the person you hate the most.

Bump.

Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000)
    1) No idea how many people have had horrible, horrible results from starting strength, but I can tell u there are a lot. Starting strength is not optimal for people starting out who WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE. Strength is a different can of beans, but I know most people like myself when started wanted muscle, and never cared about strength. The two are inter related yes, but a push, pull,legs/repeat or off, is much much better for beginners.

2) Tracking calories optional? Tracking calories is the only way your gonna build muscle, if u don't know how many calories u are eating than how does one eat 500 calories above their maintence intake level? they simply don't. Tracking calories is always and will always be 100 percent mandatory.

Those are the only things I didn't like about the read

I really like how u say you do not need supplements, supplements other than whey protein are all useless. Creatine just gives u and extra rep or two, and for me and around 20 other people, all of us had about a 15-20 increase in their blood pressure while on creatine.

I like how u mentioned about sleep, cardio, leg day, etc.

Good read but the two things I mentioned above, I don't like. Good job none the less

Originally Posted by Inspiration442 View Post
    1) No idea how many people have had horrible, horrible results from starting strength, but I can tell u there are a lot. Starting strength is not optimal for people starting out who WANT TO BUILD MUSCLE. Strength is a different can of beans, but I know most people like myself when started wanted muscle, and never cared about strength. The two are inter related yes, but a push, pull,legs/repeat or off, is much much better for beginners.

2) Tracking calories optional? Tracking calories is the only way your gonna build muscle, if u don't know how many calories u are eating than how does one eat 500 calories above their maintence intake level? they simply don't. Tracking calories is always and will always be 100 percent mandatory.

Those are the only things I didn't like about the read

I really like how u say you do not need supplements, supplements other than whey protein are all useless. Creatine just gives u and extra rep or two, and for me and around 20 other people, all of us had about a 15-20 increase in their blood pressure while on creatine.

I like how u mentioned about sleep, cardio, leg day, etc.

Good read but the two things I mentioned above, I don't like. Good job none the less
    I was referring to building a solid foundation with the two programs. Obviously I wouldn't stick to one long-term, I just saw great progress on my main lifts with SS, and I did gain size. The main thing I was trying to get across with that point is not making your own program, or using a bro split. I know, too, that many people who have had rough experiences with said program also follow other beginner advice, such as GOMAD, that I'd highly dissuade from.

As a beginner, most people aren't dedicated enough to track their calories or macros to a t. As one gets more serious about lifting I would recommend tracking, but as a beginner most people would rather just 'eat more' than track everything. I was sort of accommodating to people literally just now starting lifting without prior research or complete dedication in every way. On a side note, I understand where you're coming from and that's exactly why I wrote "but tracking calories could be extremely beneficial" and gave target caloric deficits/excesses that people should aim for.

Thanks for the criticisms and in general though I appreciate it, srs.

q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) q2foou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thx for making this. I still don't see why people would want to skip doing leg work...

Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000) Inspiration442 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Achieving View Post
    I was referring to building a solid foundation with the two programs. Obviously I wouldn't stick to one long-term, I just saw great progress on my main lifts with SS, and I did gain size. The main thing I was trying to get across with that point is not making your own program, or using a bro split. I know, too, that many people who have had rough experiences with said program also follow other beginner advice, such as GOMAD, that I'd highly dissuade from.

As a beginner, most people aren't dedicated enough to track their calories or macros to a t. As one gets more serious about lifting I would recommend tracking, but as a beginner most people would rather just 'eat more' than track everything. I was sort of accommodating to people literally just now starting lifting without prior research or complete dedication in every way. On a side note, I understand where you're coming from and that's exactly why I wrote "but tracking calories could be extremely beneficial" and gave target caloric deficits/excesses that people should aim for.

Thanks for the criticisms and in general though I appreciate it, srs.
    Ya I wouldn't even mention starting strength man in ur original post, just an awful program, so many people will get massive imbalances if they run it, I just hate the program, that's all

good job on ur post though

How long have u been working out?

And is that a high bar squat u doing in ur profile pic or low bar squat?

Looks high bar

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Should be stickied.

And PPL is meant for intermediates.

Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rileh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ya I wouldn't even mention starting strength man in ur original post, just an awful program, so many people will get massive imbalances if they run it, I just hate the program, that's all

good job on ur post though

How long have u been working out?

And is that a high bar squat u doing in ur profile pic or low bar squat?

Looks high bar
    he squats low bar, and hes also strong as fuk considering his height and weight.

he thinks im strong but im just like wtf your just as strong based on the weight to height ratios.

Originally Posted by Rileh View Post
    he squats low bar, and hes also strong as fuk considering his height and weight.

he thinks im strong but im just like wtf your just as strong based on the weight to height ratios.
    hes an insane squatter too? what are his lifts and his bodyweight

My max squat right now is probably just about 420 at 160 bw. I'm 6'1.5" though lmao.

EDIT: Actually maybe a little more tbh
    fukkkkkkk mirin harddddd.

tfw 173 and 5"8 and my max is estimated at 470

its a good thing i could cut to like 148 right now and maintain all my strength and possibly gain some.

its a good thing i could cut to like 148 right now and maintain all my strength and possibly gain some.
    U do 25lb cuts at 17 years old? man that is not good at ur age man.

How long does ur cut usually take bro?

Your squat blows mine out of the water, gtfoh XD

U do 25lb cuts at 17 years old? man that is not good at ur age man.

How long does ur cut usually take bro?
    will be cutting from like 177-170 ish over a 6 week span after i hit 500 mid august.

and then i will be bulking until my meet in december which i will be competing in the 183's. following that i will be cutting down to at least 155.

end goal is anywhere from a 500-520 squat at 155 after the cut going at 0.75-1 pounds a week.

you're just in denial <3 (no homo)

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Agreed, sadly though this has been made over and over again. PM a mod and state your case to why you should get stickied.
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you're just in denial <3 (no homo)
    I wanna feel special too guys ):

Can we talk about... Benching?
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IKR

Rileh give this forum a S/O when you win IPF.

Originally Posted by BJP2k14 View Post
    IKR

Rileh give this forum a S/O when you win IPF.
    will do brah <3

just need to get that pesky bench up over 300...

i hate all you who have good benches (not srs luv u guys <3) if only i didnt hurt my elbow like 4 months ago. i was at 200 for 3x6 after 4.5 months of training and its been hurt ever since and i am finally getting my strength back.

Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good thread with good info, I approve OP.
    Hopefully it helps out someone getting started and they actually take some of your advice.
    Australian Natural Bodybuilder.
    Instagram: BrendonHiscocks
    Snapchat: thicktightsolid
    Email: Brenjam@hotmail.com < Coaching, plans, support, questions, email me! >
    #BRENZILLA

will be cutting from like 177-170 ish over a 6 week span after i hit 500 mid august.

and then i will be bulking until my meet in december which i will be competing in the 183's. following that i will be cutting down to at least 155.

end goal is anywhere from a 500-520 squat at 155 after the cut going at 0.75-1 pounds a week.
    So your 177lbs right now, and u can squat 470lbs right now. How much bodyfat percent are you right now?

Also you should know that going from 183lbs to 155lbs, cutting 30lbs is going to drastically, drastically drop your squat strength.

If you hit a 500lb squat at 183lbs, than when u cut down to 155lbs, ur squats gonna be closer to 440lbs. Dropping that much weight is going to be astronomical man. Like for me I am 182lbs right now at around 8% bodyfat, it would be physically impossible for me to get down to 155lbs. If your bodyfat is like 23 percent than ya getting down to 155lbs would be possible, but if your already pretty lean anywhere from 12-15% bodyfat, getting down to 155lbs wont happen.

Im curious as to what ur current bodyfat percent is